Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a rifle from KGC couple of weeks ago, had it shipped to a local FFL. It came in last Thursday, filled out the 4473 and he entered it into his computer for the background check. It came back as a 'delay'. So with the weekend and monday being a federal holiday, the three business days for a response got extended.

I call the shop late this afternoon and it was still in a 'delay' status, the owner told me I can pick it up tomorrow morning since the three day period is up. He gave me the NTN number so I could find out why it was in that delay status. But in order find that out I have to get fingerprinted again to send with my request.

But the thing is the feds have my finger prints. I've gotten my prints done for my passport, teaching certificate, CDL, federal employment, all through the years. My prints never change they have always been the same. And I haven't broken any laws nor am I under indictment. So what gives???

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Federal employment is the problem. They did a very deep background check. This raises a red flag with NICS. I know numerous people my dad included that have had federal employment or clearance that get delayed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Virtually every guy that said "my NICS check won't be a problem, I've got top secret or classified clearance" always got delayed. Guaranteed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mike,

Did your father and the other people you know finally get the issue resolved? Or was it something that happened to them every time they purchased a firearm?

During my federal employment I was a permanent firefighter for the forest service then the blm. I had clearance to run the light and heavy fire engines which is why I had a cdl. I think they were deemed as emergency vehicle in the federal system. But I would have thought if I passed that background check with no issues, then it shouldn't be a big deal for this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A gov. security clearance has never caused me any problems when buying a gun.

Not saying that isn't the cause, maybe I just slipped thru the cracks.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not everyone but most.

The best one was the county facilities security chief that was outright denied. Telling me all about his clearances and how tacticool he was in the decked out county F350. He later admitted that there was something in his past that prevented him from owning guns. I guess that's why he had a taser and big can of pepper spray. 😬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked when I got printed for my Michigan CPL they scanned the side of my hand. Cause u know my hands are lethal weapons and I might Karate chop someone to death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Right! Clearances don't flag anything on NICS.
There are no entries in NICS from any government clearing agency nor any connection between NICS and those databases because the lists themselves are classified and require need to know to access.
NICS employees and the NICS administration system has no need to know who has a clearance, what it is for, or why they have one any more than your local dog catcher does.
These people who get delayed are:

a) Unlucky and the NICS system is down, backed up, there's a system glitch, or someone goofed with their paperwork.

or

b) There's something in their criminal record, mental health record, or a court order involving domestic violence, stalking, commitment to a mental institution, etc. in their past. Some of the etc can vary by state.

or,

They lied on the Form 4473 or state forms.

Clearances have nothing to do with it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LNF150
Mike,

Did your father and the other people you know finally get the issue resolved? Or was it something that happened to them every time they purchased a firearm?

During my federal employment I was a permanent firefighter for the forest service then the blm. I had clearance to run the light and heavy fire engines which is why I had a cdl. I think they were deemed as emergency vehicle in the federal system. But I would have thought if I passed that background check with no issues, then it shouldn't be a big deal for this.

You can do a appeal and get a PIN number which is what requires the fingerprints. The PIN is no guarantee that the check will go through any quicker. My dad never bothered. Gets delayed about 75 percent of the time. He has nothing on his record other than decades old non criminal traffic.

He spoke with the ATF and they could not tell him why he was delayed. But some of the things that can draw a flag and a delay are similar names, something incomplete in there records, or a in depth background check. My dad had to be cleared by the feds for port and airport work when he worked construction. ATF also were the ones that told him the appeal process and PIN would be no guarantee against future delays.

True or not that is what he was told. Also the gun shop I deal a lot has told me the majority of his delays are for law enforcement and military.

Being the government who knows the real answer. No guarantee the appeal and PIN will help you. If your shop is ok with releasing the gun after three days and you can deal with the chance of waiting three days,I would just ride it out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Okay...now can someone please explain to me how any of this is different than having a licencing system.

Sounds the same to me.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I get delayed every time. I've been printed a dozen times, been cleared to work in secure Govt buildings, had a Concealed Carry since 1995, had a FFL for a long time, but still get delayed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the club! laugh

I was even denied once. Hit the ceiling, I did... I was in the process of calling the number provided when the gunshop got another call from a NICS supervisor and was told they had made an error, that I was GTG.

Still pissed me off soundly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Guys

I'm just going to pick up the gun today and roll with it. It probably got delayed because it's a weatherby vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor. Maybe they can't figure out what a creedmoor is or take issue with millimeter measurements. Who knows.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Right! Clearances don't flag anything on NICS.
There are no entries in NICS from any government clearing agency nor any connection between NICS and those databases because the lists themselves are classified and require need to know to access.
NICS employees and the NICS administration system has no need to know who has a clearance, what it is for, or why they have one any more than your local dog catcher does.
These people who get delayed are:

a) Unlucky and the NICS system is down, backed up, there's a system glitch, or someone goofed with their paperwork.

or

b) There's something in their criminal record, mental health record, or a court order involving domestic violence, stalking, commitment to a mental institution, etc. in their past. Some of the etc can vary by state.

or,

They lied on the Form 4473 or state forms.

Clearances have nothing to do with it.
Wrong

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a man with the exact same name, born on the same day,same year that has federal warrants. Slows down my gun buying a little. He was born in Detroit. I was born in Texas.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Should try being retired CIA and buying guns.... LOL that was funny in a way

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho is one of those states where CCP holders can bypass the NICS check. It saves some pain sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a guy in our club that had to call the police when his neighbor committed suicide. So his name is on the police report as the originator of the call where a gun was used. He constantly got delayed after that. He got one of the ATF PINs to help but still got delayed. He was finally told, by a supervisor, that the NICS phone agents are not investigators, only check databases. If a name is associated with a police report that involves guns, in any way, the check will be delayed and passed to an investigator. He was told that could be the case for 5 years or more. Not me, but I trust the guy. Pretty much sucks.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobcape
There's a guy in our club that had to call the police when his neighbor committed suicide. So his name is on the police report as the originator of the call where a gun was used. He constantly got delayed after that. He got one of the ATF PINs to help but still got delayed. He was finally told, by a supervisor, that the NICS phone agents are not investigators, only check databases. If a name is associated with a police report that involves guns, in any way, the check will be delayed and passed to an investigator. He was told that could be the case for 5 years or more. Not me, but I trust the guy. Pretty much sucks.

Bob

Yup,....as a system it absolutely reeks of poor design parameters, and has NOTHING whatsoever to do with keeping this nation safe or secure,...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
any traffic violation or unpaid tickets ?

P.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
786 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.