Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have not tried a different scope. The scope is a brand new leupold vx1 3-9X40. I guess its possible it could be scope. I have never had a bad leupold in the dozens I have and the 40 or 50 I have bought.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
I have not tried a different scope. The scope is a brand new leupold vx1 3-9X40. I guess its possible it could be scope. I have never had a bad leupold in the dozens I have and the 40 or 50 I have bought.

HeavyBarrel

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
???

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditch that copper solvent you are using and get some of this stuff..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694667/m-pro-7-copper-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-liquid

If you a have a proven scope switch it out with that leupold and try it..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Scope is not an issue. put a new 2.5-8 VX3 on today and shot my best load so far and a couple groups with factory. Shot 10 in a 2" group with the best hand-load so far. Shot 6 58gr Hornady Superformance into a 2" group. First 3 were in 1", let gun cool and next three opened up group to 2". Shot 80gr Winchester Factory 3 in to 1.75" group. Pretty much the same as with the VX1 I had on. Inconsistent as before so I know its something with gun. I cleaned and re cleaned bore and it is copper free. This will be a true test for the Tubbs bullets. Should get them this week and hope to get started. Will keep yall posted.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
What kind of mounts are you using? I don't use anything but Talley two piece anymore. Wonder if you have a mount issue??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes the best answer is to get a new rifle or make big changes to the one you have. I have a 223 that shot Ok, but not great. I had it rebarrelled, had the action all trued up, action bedded, new trigger, and such as that. Spent a bunch of money, and it shoots great now. And in the process of that, I had two scopes, one was a Leupold, go bad (wandering POI). Looking back, I should have just sold it and bought a heavy barrel Tikka. The Tikka 260 I have is an amazing shooter.

Of course there's a lot of satisfaction in getting a rifle to shoot well, but sometimes they just won't.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Using Talley aluminum integral ring/base 2 piece.

Have not had a chance to shoot the Tubbs lapping bullets yet. Weather has sucked.

I would like nothing more than to trade it off for a Tikka or Savage. Should have went that route in the first place. Will keep yall informed on how the Tubbs work on this gun. Should be a pretty good test.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
200 strokes with J-B Bore paste then another couple hundred strokes with Remington 40x bore cleaner.

Change patches every 50 strokes or so, you should feel the bore getting smoother as you go.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Cleaned with JB's prior to starting the Tubbs bullets today. I am sure I put over 200 strokes of JB's through it prior to starting. I loaded all 50 of the Tubbs bullets this evening and had time to fire the first 10 of the course grit. I cleaned after the 10 like the directions say and they leave the bore pretty dirty. I left solvent in the bore for the night, ran out of time. Will fire the next 10 tomorrow and get the process complete by this weekend and see what happened. Will post results when I am done.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Fired another of the #4 bullets this evening per instructions that came with the kit. Cleaned barrel to get ready for #3 bullets. Did notice that bore cleaned a little quicker this time and the tight spots seem to have been smoothed out a little. Hope to shoot the rest tomorrow weather permitting but I think it is supposed to rain for the next week so unsure when I will get to see if the accuracy improved.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Keep us posted. Interested in how this turns out.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got 40 through it today. Should finish up tomorrow and hope for some non rainy weather so I can accuracy test. It is noticeably getting smoother.

Will keep yall posted.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Range report. Well I had some ammo loaded up that showed some promise before the Tubbs treatment and it was had not good. 5 shots in 2", tried some 75gr VMax with 4064 with unsatisfactory results. Needless to say I was bumbed out and ready for a re-barrel or just cut my losses and sell it. I decided to try what I had left in a box of Federal Fusion 95gr coated and I am glad I did. The first 3 shots were in one hole. Couldn't believe it so I shot another that was better than 1/2". These two groups were after 15 rounds of copper un-coated bullets. Ran out of Fusion so I went to Walmart and bought two more boxes. Shot a 3/4" 3 shot and another 1/2" 3 shot. This was an improvement for sure! I may just keep the gun the way it is. Wanted to shoot the lighter bullets but it just may not like them. I did have some promising results with Hornady 53gr Superformance ammo prior to the treatment so I may try a box of that and see if it improved. Kind of worried about the layering effect of the Boron Nitride coated Fusion ammo and shooting copper on top of that? Or I may just decide to stay with the Fusion ammo for everything, was trying to set gun up for coyotes and lighter bullets but if the gun likes the Fusion so be it. Got tons of reloading stuff for the 243 and would really like to find something that works but there again I am getting tired of the frustration with my handloads.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would try a box of factory stuff with lighter bullets.

Have you tried a different set of dies?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have not tried any different dies nor do I have on concentric gauge.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So it sounds like you did see some improvement after using the Tubb's bullets.My guess the 9 1/8 twist in the Remington does better with the heavier bullets.I remember when Remington brought out the 244 it would not stabilize the 100gr bullets.They changed it to the 6mm to compete with the 243.Here's an article on this.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.2446mm+Remington.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Got a chronograph?Duplicate the speed of fusion ammo and see what happens.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I do have a chronograph and will try that soon. If it just likes the Fusion than I am okay with that. Fusion is pretty cheap and I probably want shoot it more than 20 times a year anyway. It will be used as a deer/coyote rifle and probably only used after I shoot a buck. Dedicated doe rifle.

The Tubbs system does seem to work! I would use it again if I ever run into another rifle as finicky as this one is, but I will probably stay away from Remington until I start reading better reports. The last 5 or 6 remingtons I have bought have been a less than stellar.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
but I will probably stay away from Remington until I start reading better reports. The last 5 or 6 remingtons I have bought have been a less than stellar.

HeavyBarrel

I own, shoot, and reload for 4 Remington 700's chambered in 243. The first is one of the Buckmaster models with 24 inch barrel, it's on permanent loan to my son, who refuses to return it. The next one is an LVSF, on which I switched out the stock to a B&C T1, and converted it to a BDL configuration. The next started out life as a Walmart Black Friday special for $278. Since it was originally an ADL model, I put another Remington stock and bottom metal, making it into a BDL. The last one was also a $278 Black Friday rifle, and it's a 20 inch barrel youth model. With the exception of a different stock, none of these rifles have had anything done to them. No bedding, no after market trigger, no barrel lapping or anything related. Yet, they are all excellent shooting rifles.....for me, anyway. I don't shoot any kind of competition, I'm just a hunter, shooting at deer and coyotes. I rarely shoot at ranges past 300 yards, mainly because that's a long shot in most of the places I hunt. None of those 243's have BDC type scopes, just duplex reticles. Although, I've shot some really good groups out of the LVSF, I can't say that it's any more accurate (for my purposes anyway), than the others. My favorite load for the 243 is 45.5 grains of W760 with the Sierra 85 grain HPBT bullet. This combination shoots great in all 4 of those rifles. The youth model with a not so clear 2X10 Weaver, will routinely shoot inch groups at 200 yards all day long. I shoot other bullets as well, the 58 grain VMax, 65 grain Berger, 70 grain Sierra HP, 90 grain Nosler BT, 95 grain SST, and 100 grain Remington SP. If I have a gripe, it's that while every one of those rifles shoot extremely well with the lighter weight bullets, they are finicky about the 95 and 100 grain bullets. I use W760 in bullet weights from 58 to 85, and have found that with a max load, to slightly above max, they all work. With the heavier weights, I've had to try different powders, such as IMR 4350, IMR 4064, R19, and the 760. Now, I fully realize that my expectations may not be as great as someone else's when it comes to "accuracy", as we all have differing definitions of the term. But, for hunting purposes, I cannot imagine that anyone would expect anymore out of a 243 than what any of my rifles will deliver. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I haven't found a thing wrong with Remington rifles.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.