Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by leftybolt
+1

Another excellent maker(underrated, IMO) is Wayne Hendrix. Wayne will make you a nice working blade with Micarta, stainless Kirby bolts on the handle, and top quality steel(ATS 34, 154 CM...) for about $150. Plus, his wife Ruby will make(included in price of knife) you an excellent full-grain leather sheath to go with it that will hold the knife securely. I like Ruby's sheaths so much I've purchased them for other knives as well.

Wayne's a little hard to get ahold of but he's a real nice guy and makes a fantastic knife! My experience has been that he doesn't have very long wait times either. I tried emailing him to no avail.(he doesn't much like computers). Calling him on the phone is best.

Google: Hendrix Custom Knives

Here's a link to a few he's made for me over the years:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4245711/Re_Wayne_Hendrix_Knives_eye_ca
Wayne is a SC guy, don't have his but I do have a George Herron.

Leftybolt

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
i agree with the others on going the custom route.

Of the names mentioned David Winston is my favorite maker. followed by gene ingram and charles may ( its a MS thing. grin)

in this forum, several makers have a thread showing off various models. Well worth the time to look.

As far as materials, im not a steel snob. D2 or s30v is what most of mine are. I like g10 / micarta scales. Bone and stag look great. Its just not my thing.

+1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the bark river gunny hunter. It has a convex grind which is nice except I haven't had the knack for sharpening it myself. They will sharpen it for you if you send it in. The knife is available in Elmax or CPM3V which are a good steel options. At this point with my limited sharpening skill I like a knife with a normal grind so I can easily get a great edge using a lansky sharpener or something similar. In my experience you are likely to get a bit better attention to little details with a custom maker but you have to get in line and wait for the more well known good ones. There is a knife user/collector on youtube that reviews bark river knives and likes them a lot
https://www.youtube.comresults?search_query=virtuovice+channel

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for everything. For now I'm doing anything. Will probably just go the custom route, but not until I educate myself a bit more.

As a side note I clicked on my links in the OP. The prices shown on Amazon have gone up $30-$40 over what they were showing the day I posted the link. I wouldn't pay the prices shown today for those knives. When they were $40 less I'd have considered it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Update:

At least for now I'm attempting a simple DIY custom. I bought a blank blade that I like and some red/black micarta handle material. Total cost, about $30-$35 so far. Steel is 5160 carbon.

Not a lot of work, just attaching and finishing the handles. I'm not expecting perfection the 1st time, but we'll see.

Crappy cell pic, I'll take better shots when finished.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.