Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by kellory
I was taught as a kid never to dry fire any weapon. That it did damage or could break a firing pin. any truth to that?
is dry firing good or bad practice? And Why?

it depends on the particular firearm. as a good rule of thumb, don't do it, and especially don't do it if it is not YOUR firearm. that being said there are several models out there that state in the owners manual that it is safe to dry fire that firearm, Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

thank you, i will check with the manufacturer.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

Interesting... I am pretty sure I have a 22/45 that was damaged by dry firing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

Interesting... I am pretty sure I have a 22/45 that was damaged by dry firing.

All I can say is the owner manual states it is safe.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was taught as a kid never to dry fire any weapon. That it did damage or could break a firing pin. any truth to that?
is dry firing good or bad practice? And Why?

it depends on the particular firearm. as a good rule of thumb, don't do it, and especially don't do it if it is not YOUR firearm. that being said there are several models out there that state in the owners manual that it is safe to dry fire that firearm, Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

thank you, i will check with the manufacturer.

Well, i finally got ahold of the manufacturer (one who could speak English) and discovered a few things. Rohm nolonger has anything to do with guns due to a anti-gun lawsuit in 1986. They are back to making lathe chucks, as they did before guns. There is no factory info or knowledge available for this model or any model. But the RG-39 seems to be pretty rare. Most were 38S models or RG-10.22lr revolvers. I found only three references of someone owning a RG-39. and very few work as well, or as accurately as this one. Ignition problems seem to be a reoccurring theme.
I will avoid dry firing, since it is doubtful It can be repaired for any reasonable fee.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.