Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a curiosity question. I know every gun is different, such and such, but do those of you who have loaded the 139 grain flat based and also the boat tails, notice a lot of difference in how they shoot?

As far as charge weight, velocity, accuracy, etc?

Reason being, I've always heard that flat based bullets are "easier" to obtain accuracy up to ~300 yards over their boat tail brothers. I have some boat tail bullets coming(Hornadys get loaded program) and I am not sure if I want to mess with them or leave them unopened and trade for flat based ones.

I'm only looking to use them up too 300 yards so I am not that concerned with the boat tails added efficiency. Just using them for hunting, so if there is minimal difference in how they shoot then I wont be too concerned. I've just not messed with boat tail bullets in any caliber much, much less used them and compared results to flat based ones.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used them for many years in a 7 mag. They are incredibly accurate out to my limit of 550 yards. At those ranges, you will notice no difference in performance.

They both shoot equally well in my rifle.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've only used the BT version and it will shoot 1/2 MOA pretty consistently in my 280. I doubt the flat based would do measurably better from this rifle. I think that FB are more accurate thing came from the BR world where they are measuring groups to the third decimal place and the systems are capable of showing minute differences. No doubt FB are easier to produce than BT so bullet to bullet consistency should be better, and thus overall accuracy. Also, BT bullets drag efficiency really doesn't come into play until you get past 300yds depending on the bullet/speed combo. Crap shoot as to which your barrel will like. I'll say one thing though, the 139 BT kills stuff and expands and stays together very well. I'm sure the FB does as well or better on game.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Reason being, I've always heard that flat based bullets are "easier" to obtain accuracy up to ~300 yards over their boat tail brothers. I have some boat tail bullets coming(Hornadys get loaded program) and I am not sure if I want to mess with them or leave them unopened and trade for flat based ones

If you're just interested in getting some ammo loaded up and sighted in for deer killing accuracy I'll bet it don't matter. Got an expanded boat tail around here somewhere that came from Hornady factory 7x57. Son made a quartering to shot on a 120 lbish doe between left shoulder and neck found against the right femur. Hit the bone hard enough to put a flat spot on the bullet. Jacket and lead still intact. Have loaded the BTs for wife's 7mm-08 but never caught one and her Micro Hunter grouped them very well. Don't think I'd go to the trouble of getting rid of the BTs and buying FBs for hunting.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have several 7mm Mauser chamberings...

the 139 SP/FB has proven a lot more accurate over the 139 grain BT/SP...

could just be my rifles, but I only buy the FB version of the 139 grainer....

same with the 154 SP or RN...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for the info guys. I know its a really tough question to answer, simply because every gun is different. I just am curious to what extent the difference has been for those who have tried both.

If the average difference is 1/2" or less at a 100 yards then I am not concerned, but if its a lot more than that - and its always the boat tails that shot worse - then I would rather not spend my time finding out if my gun likes them or not. I know it likes the flat based ones that are in the factory rounds.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't know a whole lot about the 139 interlocks what I can tell you the 154 Spire point is one awesome shooter in just about every 7mm I've tried it in.
150 Spire Point flat base in a 30 caliber is another Stellar shooter in almost all cases.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It has been said that the boat tail versions jacket will slip away from the core easier but most of those people that found those jacket and lead core pieces found them in dead deer. Accuracy is a minor issue w/both bullets. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't push the 154 SST as fast in my 7x57 as I can the flat based bullet.

So I'm sticking with the flat based. It's worked for years.

I imagine the results with the 139 gr would be similar.

Dan

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Flat base bullets have always been more accurate for me. Ive had bt bullets shed their jackets on frontal shots on bucks where the shots were pretty close.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 40 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.