We have a clue.

LOL
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If a citizen with a carry permit had shot Jerry under the same circumstances he would face charges. A Prosecuter would not buy his claim of fearing for his life.

He might beat the charge but he would be out a bunch in legal fees.

Not similar scenarios. The citizen has the ability and legal right to retreat and call the cops. The cops do not have the ability to walk away. However if Jerry was approaching the citizen with a knife and the citizen had no ability to retreat, then that changes the outcome.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Bigwhoop.

I've done it. Knives and guns. Coulda killed on three different occasions and been legally justified. Didn't have to. Instinct and discretion.

These cops did what they did. They aren't heroes here. Maybe they have been. Maybe they will be. But here, they weren't.

That's just me.

I talked two out of knives myself. Bottom line is that cops are not trained to disarm with a baton or stick. The cops are not heroes here in the traditional sense. Some will always second guess their action. One may quit, one may start drinking, one may lose his family - there are no winners. It is what it is.
Problem is when people are quick to second guess when they have no clue.

An even bigger problem is when people pretend to be experts...when they aren't.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We have a clue.

Your clue is somewhat meaningless when cops are trained to react to scenarios based on their training, department policy, state law and their county attorney.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They didn't want to NOT kill Jerry enough, bottom line. As has been pointed out by lots of the posters here, they weren't out of options. Nobody will touch those though.

They shot their wad from too far away when they tazed him, twice. How stupid is that? It's not like this was an ambush and they couldn't keep up with the changing events. Could it be any slower for those cops to follow along?

All in all, ridiculous. Wouldn't want a cops job but this one is a no brainer.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/19/17.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They didn't want to NOT kill Jerry enough, bottom line.

True enough, I guess. If I had been there with a few trusted co-workers, I would have just said "Let's go...it'll be alright". You can always lie later.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They didn't want to NOT kill Jerry enough, bottom line. As has been pointed out by lots of the posters here, they weren't out of options. Nobody will touch those though.

They shot their wad from too far away when they tazed him, twice. How stupid is that? It's not like this was an ambush and they couldn't keep up with the changing events. Could it be any slower for those cops to follow along?

All in all, ridiculous. Wouldn't want a cops job but this one is a no brainer.

Keep typing and digging. Everybody has the answers after its over with. Remember next time, don't call 911 - handle it yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

next time, don't call 911 - handle it yourself.

I have more than once. No one died. Pure luck I guess since I'm not "trained". If I had been no one would have gotten within 21' of me alive. LOL.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Lol"...you can say that again.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Haven't seen an answer when I first asked, so I'll ask again.

Are beanbag rounds used for this type of encounter or are they reserved to disperse crowds and other non-threatening types of situations. What's the SOP on those? Officer discretion and availability?

I'm not aware of any agency that issues "beanbag rounds to patrolmen. we had them, along with a dedicated less lethal shotgun in the office, in 15 years I think they were used once

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If a citizen with a carry permit had shot Jerry under the same circumstances he would face charges. A Prosecuter would not buy his claim of fearing for his life.

He might beat the charge but he would be out a bunch in legal fees.

Maybe in Texas. Here, if I were in that situation w/ the perp on film I wouldn't expect to be charged. If it became legally necessary to make a statement or answer questions , then I would engage my attorney.

mike r

My point is that I don't believe the two cops were actually in fear for their life from this old drunk guy.

If they really were, then that's a scary thought for people who depend on cops for their safety.

I'm not saying they shouldnt have shot him, just that they were not in fear for their lives.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pretty hard to evade the drunk that's barely walking when you are surrounded by open space.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Pretty hard to evade the drunk that's barely walking when you are surrounded by open space.

Evading the drunk wasn't the issue. Lot of geniuses here that don't realize what reality is.
I suggest you folks become members of "citizen review boards" or local advisory committees if you feel you have a better grasp of ethics, tactics and the law.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
At that distance I didn't see a threat.
That's nuts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Evading the drunk wasn't the issue. Lot of geniuses here that don't realize what reality is.
I suggest you folks become members of "citizen review boards" or local advisory committees if you feel you have a better grasp of ethics, tactics and the law.

Most of us agree with Jims post.... we want nothing to do with cops.

Your reality seems to be:"Obey any order from any cop instantly or he will shoot you."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He wasn't black nor driving a pickup..... what's to fear?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The drunk is staggering toward them SLOWLY for like 1.5 minutes but those last 8 tiny steps changes it all? They're in the goddammed open. IMO, that is stupid to think that it is not relevant. He'd be easily evaded. Lot's of options besides killing him at that moment. Legal? Sure. Good? Not a bit. Shoot him again after he's been down for nine seconds? Yah, that was a good call.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's pretty dumb to second guess things like this, but having BTDT many times, I can tell you how I would have done it. "Jerry, you got three choices. Hospital, jail or the morgue. Your choice."

...and never doubt this. It was his choice.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I am not a trained police officer, but why does every police shooting involve many shots all in the torso. Jerry was an old drunk barely standing on his own. I will paraphrase Ron White , Jerry might have been told to drop the knife but not the ability to do so. Just because he is not able to understand instructions, he should be killed. Does anyone remember the video of the guy sitting with a gun in his hand and some cop sniper shot it out of his hand....
I think old Jerry was close enough for someone of limited abilities to hit an arm , leg or something. It's one thing the cops shot him, its another they need a 6 shells to make 4 hits in close range......Do cops practice with their carry guns anymore.
Like I said, I am not a trained LEO , but I would think I could hit Jerry with one shot where he was fully aware he needed to drop the knife and start listening to instructions.

You may be on to something. How cool would it be to start shooting at some doods hand from 40 yards away, with a handgun, as he approached? Maybe even cooler than bowling pins...

Of course, we'd have to get rid of that "fear" bullshit.

I am not saying its always possible. But when LEO do decide to shoot, they seem to shoot a lot of shells and don't hit much. If they tased him 3 times the were pretty close as tasers are not super accurate and short ranged. They then fired 6 or so shells and had 4 torso hits. Where did the pass-throughs and misses go? Into the trailer. Lucky they only hauled one body off. If you can hit someone 3 times with a taser, then you should be able to shoot one shell and hit a large NON vital part of a person. I could believe the paperwork on a wounded perp being worse then a dead perp.
Getting rid of fear is impossible. But with good training ,fear can be mastered.
With 3 officers present, they have the ability to have one negotiate, one to hold a forceful presence and one to close the back door. These guys tried the taser out, no luck, then Bang, Bang, bang etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyoming260

I am not saying its always possible. But when LEO do decide to shoot, they seem to shoot a lot of shells and don't hit much. If they tased him 3 times the were pretty close as tasers are not super accurate and short ranged. They then fired 6 or so shells and had 4 torso hits. Where did the pass-throughs and misses go? Into the trailer. Lucky they only hauled one body off. If you can hit someone 3 times with a taser, then you should be able to shoot one shell and hit a large NON vital part of a person. I could believe the paperwork on a wounded perp being worse then a dead perp.
Getting rid of fear is impossible. But with good training ,fear can be mastered.
With 3 officers present, they have the ability to have one negotiate, one to hold a forceful presence and one to close the back door. These guys tried the taser out, no luck, then Bang, Bang, bang etc.

What can I say? We can't shoot.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.