Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I asked this on the lever board and got little help. What can you tell me about both guns and ammo in both 308 and 338 Marlin Express ? Thanks captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is the correct place to get what information you want.Click on the link.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/308-338-marlin-express/

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throw an oar in the water. There does not seem to be much traffic on this thread.

I don't own a 308 Marlin Express, but I like to dabble in the same area. I deliberately shied away from the round, because it looked like an orphan waiting to happen from the day it came out. I could be wrong, but I am not sure Marlin is even making rifles chambered in it anymore.

First off, let me address the impetus for the round. There is a well-populated spectrum of rifle 30-something between 30-30 WIN and 300 Magnum. They all kill deer and their ilk just fine as long as you know your own limits. Me? I started off with 30-06 and loved it. I tried 30-30 WIN briefly back in 2002, and just was not all that impressed. I was looking for something between the two that would drop a whitetail at normal ranges without all the muss and fuss of a 30-06. I liked the lever action. I loved the Marlin 336, but the 30-30 round just did not blow my skirts up.

My choice back in 2003 was the Savage 99 in 308 WIN. I deliberately downloaded it so that it would function more like a hot 300 Savage, ane Viola! (How did she get in here?) That became my ideal #1 deep woods deer rifle. If they had offered something close to it in Marlin 336, I would have snatched it up in a flash.

So why didn't I lunge for the first Marlin 308 Express when it came out? For the same reason I didn't try to buy a .307 Winchester. How many .307 Winchester rifles do you see? In 2003, I picked the .308 WIN over a .300 Savage for exactly the same reason. In 2003, it looked like the .300 Savage was on its way out. Why in 2007, would I want another .30-something orphan?

The other thing about .308 Marlin Express is that it relies on a gimmick bullet. If you want the promised results of the rifle, you have to buy the fancy rubbery tipped rounds. I have no problem with the FTX. I've played with them in the 30-30 platform. What I will say is that the LEVERevolution powder does the majority of the heavy lifting in the system. When you have a gimmick powder and a gimmick bullet, the resulting round is destined to be talked about in the past tense.

Performance wise, 308 Marlin Express is in a good niche. 160 grainers are doing 2600 fps and change at the muzzle. The 307 is also right there at 26xx, the 300 Savage is only 25xx and the 308 WIN is 2700+. The deer will not tell the difference inside 150 yards. Just for reference, the 30-30 WIN is more like 23xx fps.

My 308 WIN, when all was done, with 165 grain bullets over H4895 is right there too at 2600 fps. Out of treestand, in the deep woods, I'm positively enthralled with it. It is always out with me on The Opener. As it has happened, I only shoot big bucks with it, and they all drop close enough that I could stand in their tracks and see the carcass. I was thinking basically the same thing as Marlin, but I did it with Savage 99 hardware.

The 338 Marlin Express was supposed to be an ersatz 30-06 in a lever action. Frankly it does not come close to that ideal in a deer hunter's way of looking at things. There are better ways of launching a 200 grain bullet. It was meant for bigger game. Someone else can fill you in on the details. It fell off my radar a decade ago.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shaman
I'll throw an oar in the water. There does not seem to be much traffic on this thread.

I don't own a 308 Marlin Express, but I like to dabble in the same area. I deliberately shied away from the round, because it looked like an orphan waiting to happen from the day it came out. I could be wrong, but I am not sure Marlin is even making rifles chambered in it anymore.

First off, let me address the impetus for the round. There is a well-populated spectrum of rifle 30-something between 30-30 WIN and 300 Magnum. They all kill deer and their ilk just fine as long as you know your own limits. Me? I started off with 30-06 and loved it. I tried 30-30 WIN briefly back in 2002, and just was not all that impressed. I was looking for something between the two that would drop a whitetail at normal ranges without all the muss and fuss of a 30-06. I liked the lever action. I loved the Marlin 336, but the 30-30 round just did not blow my skirts up.

My choice back in 2003 was the Savage 99 in 308 WIN. I deliberately downloaded it so that it would function more like a hot 300 Savage, ane Viola! (How did she get in here?) That became my ideal #1 deep woods deer rifle. If they had offered something close to it in Marlin 336, I would have snatched it up in a flash.

So why didn't I lunge for the first Marlin 308 Express when it came out? For the same reason I didn't try to buy a .307 Winchester. How many .307 Winchester rifles do you see? In 2003, I picked the .308 WIN over a .300 Savage for exactly the same reason. In 2003, it looked like the .300 Savage was on its way out. Why in 2007, would I want another .30-something orphan?

The other thing about .308 Marlin Express is that it relies on a gimmick bullet. If you want the promised results of the rifle, you have to buy the fancy rubbery tipped rounds. I have no problem with the FTX. I've played with them in the 30-30 platform. What I will say is that the LEVERevolution powder does the majority of the heavy lifting in the system. When you have a gimmick powder and a gimmick bullet, the resulting round is destined to be talked about in the past tense.

Performance wise, 308 Marlin Express is in a good niche. 160 grainers are doing 2600 fps and change at the muzzle. The 307 is also right there at 26xx, the 300 Savage is only 25xx and the 308 WIN is 2700+. The deer will not tell the difference inside 150 yards. Just for reference, the 30-30 WIN is more like 23xx fps.

My 308 WIN, when all was done, with 165 grain bullets over H4895 is right there too at 2600 fps. Out of treestand, in the deep woods, I'm positively enthralled with it. It is always out with me on The Opener. As it has happened, I only shoot big bucks with it, and they all drop close enough that I could stand in their tracks and see the carcass. I was thinking basically the same thing as Marlin, but I did it with Savage 99 hardware.

The 338 Marlin Express was supposed to be an ersatz 30-06 in a lever action. Frankly it does not come close to that ideal in a deer hunter's way of looking at things. There are better ways of launching a 200 grain bullet. It was meant for bigger game. Someone else can fill you in on the details. It fell off my radar a decade ago.

You have the 338ME mixed up with the 338 Federal.For woods range hunting a 30/30 is plenty gun.My grandpas big gun was a Winchester 92 in 32/20.He killed everything from rabbits to Moose with it.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I chronographed a .300 Savage load yesterday with a 165 grain Hornady interlock and 44.0 grains of Reloder 15. It gave me 2600 FPS with a 24 inch barrel. This load is in the Speer manual although naturally they use Speer bullets, not Hornady.

It seems that the .300 Savage can also fill the niche you are talking about and I think there are several other cartridges in that ball park.

The only reason I'm using a .300 Savage is that I inherited a nice older Savage 99 rifle in that caliber. Otherwise a .308 will do everything in that power range. I don't see much advantage to anything else unless you just want a different rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz

You have the 338ME mixed up with the 338 Federal.For woods range hunting a 30/30 is plenty gun.My grandpas big gun was a Winchester 92 in 32/20.He killed everything from rabbits to Moose with it.

Look, I'm not trying to malign the 30-30 WIN. I just did not have good experiences with it. A lot of people have a deep attachment to this chambering, and I'm not going to say they are wrong. Coming from 20 years' experience with a 30-06, I tried 30-30 and decided I wanted something more. What I'm trying to explain was the impetus that drove me to try a slightly downloaded 308 WIN in a lever gun. It seems to me Marlin followed the same thinking.

I could be dead wrong about the 338 ME, but I seem to remember reviews when it came out claiming 30-06-class performance out of a lever.

These new Marlin chamberings came out as I was answering a lot of newbie questions for D&DH. My advice was to shy away from these Marlin Express rounds until they had a better following. Truthfully, I did not think they would last as long as they did.

In essence, what you have is great platform, the Marlin 336, and the question is how to keep folks' interest in it. If you're not into the nostalgia of 30 WCF and the whole lever thing, there's not much to hold a newbie's fascination. 308 WIN is THE 800 lb gorilla in this room. We're in the middle of arguing the worth of 7mm-08 in other threads, and though it's a dandy round as well, 308 WIN sucks considerable life out of it as well. The FTX/LEVERevoloution thing was a good try, but it was too late. Marlin was bought out by Remington.

If you have the old 300 Savage that is not quite dead yet on the low end of the spectrum and 308 WIN and 7mm-08 on the other drawing away sales, what is going to make folks go out and buy the 308 ME? The answer, as history has proved, not much. The 338 ME just seems like too much recoil for too little performance to me. Maybe someone else can explain it to me.

I would also fault the perceived drop in quality in Marlin product as the buyout occured for killing off the ME chamberings. For a few years, Marlin had a stink on them that is just now starting to clear.

Last edited by shaman; 01/21/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington has lightened up the Marlin 336 receiver. So much so that Ranger Point Precision will not build a hotter cartridge onto the Remlin 336 receiver. The word I'm getting is Remington now runs into pressure problems with trying to make the MX rounds work. The steel they removed is in the front of the ejection port where the barrel threads are.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
Remington has lightened up the Marlin 336 receiver. So much so that Ranger Point Precision will not build a hotter cartridge onto the Remlin 336 receiver. The word I'm getting is Remington now runs into pressure problems with trying to make the MX rounds work. The steel they removed is in the front of the ejection port where the barrel threads are.

That is on the Model 1894.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
A Savage in 300 savage or a BLR in 308 or 358 or The New Henry LR Rifle in 308 would be the way to go.JMHO Huntz

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Geeze, first you have trouble killing with the .30-30, then the .25-06. It's not any shortcomings in the cartridges causing your problems, it's you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's on the 336 and 1895 too. I have a Remlin 336 to compare to my my JM 336. On the Remlin I can look through the receiver and see the rear barrel thread. On my JM's I cannot. The new 1895's are really cut away right underneath the breech bolt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Geeze, first you have trouble killing with the .30-30, then the .25-06. It's not any shortcomings in the cartridges causing your problems, it's you.

Thanks for noticing. You can also add 35 Whelen in there as well. I'm pretty open about my failures. I retired my Whelenizer, however, not because I lost deer. It was that I was hitting deer and they were not going down any faster than those shot with my 30-06. I finally decided the 35 Whelen was not worth the extra effort and cost.

In the case of the 30-30 WIN, the turning point was

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=1388

To summarize, I was hunting with my new Marlin 336, and managed to send 3 rounds of 30 WCF into the chest of a 65 lb doe at under 30 yards, and she walked off like nothing had happened with the whole off side of her rib cage missing. Since that time my sons and I have used the rifle, albeit with a change in bullet, and had fairly good success.

This has been a painful process, but through it all I am happy to report a flawless record with 30-06 and the 308 WIN. I would also add that the failures have nearly all happened on freezer-filling expeditions and smaller doe. The larger bucks have all gone down smartly over the past 35 years. That in and of itself has me scratching my head.

I would also not want to hijack this thread with tails of my mishaps, except that it bears on the story of the .308 ME in one crucial aspect. While a lot of folks love the 30-30 WIN for what it can do, a lot of other folks are less than impressed. When I started hunting Kentucky in the late 80's, the woods on the Opener were filled with sounds of guys unloading the magazines of their 30-30's at fleeing deer. You can joke all you want, but the simple truth is that as the old guard has passed on and the new generation has taken to the woods, the overall number of shots has diminished greatly. The old geezers were mostly tied to their 30-30's and clung to them, because they afforded fast reloading. The new blood are using bolt guns with rounds that have more power than the 30 WCFs. The number of shot strings I hear on the Opener has gone down by a factor of 3 over the past decade, but the number of telechecked deer keeps rising. The new crowd doesn't need to reload. They're getting it done with one shot. Having been around these guys now for over 30 years, I can tell you Grandpa and Dad were not intrinsically bad shots. Something else was going wrong.

I am a hunter that shoots and not the other way around. I'm not a particularly bad shot, and I'm also not a rifle loony. I've played a lot at trying to discover what suits me the best, and had ups and downs along the way. So far, I can say that .308 caliber seems to do me the best for anything out to 250 yards. I can also say that I have the best luck overall with 150-165 grain non-premium bullets travelling at more than 2600 fps at the muzzle. I would also suggest that a lot of other fellows have gone down this road and come to similar conclusions, and the impetus for the .308 ME comes from that experience. The problem with the .308 ME was that it involved too many proprietary gimmicks to make it viable in the long run.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman
I would also not want to hijack this thread with tails of my mishaps, except that it bears on the story of the .308 ME in one crucial aspect. While a lot of folks love the 30-30 WIN for what it can do, a lot of other folks are less than impressed. When I started hunting Kentucky in the late 80's, the woods on the Opener were filled with sounds of guys unloading the magazines of their 30-30's at fleeing deer. You can joke all you want, but the simple truth is that as the old guard has passed on and the new generation has taken to the woods, the overall number of shots has diminished greatly. The old geezers were mostly tied to their 30-30's and clung to them, because they afforded fast reloading. The new blood are using bolt guns with rounds that have more power than the 30 WCFs. The number of shot strings I hear on the Opener has gone down by a factor of 3 over the past decade, but the number of telechecked deer keeps rising. The new crowd doesn't need to reload. They're getting it done with one shot. Having been around these guys now for over 30 years, I can tell you Grandpa and Dad were not intrinsically bad shots. Something else was going wrong.
Same thing happened over the years around here and it has nothing to do with the rifles or cartridges hunters are using today. The difference is that grandpa and dad hunted on their feet a whole lot more than junior, who tends to perch his butt in a tree/stand/blind all day. Hence junior tends to shoot almost exclusively at motionless, unalarmed deer. Gramps and dad on the other hand, did alot more still hunting and deer drives and hence alot more of their shots were at alarmed and running deer. Personally, as of this past season I've killed 80 deer with the .30-30 Winchester. I can't remember ever having to shoot one of them a second time. The vast majority were down in less than 50 yards and I don't recall a single one that went more than 80. Recovered bullets have been rare and I've tended to have good blood trails on the rare occasions a deer went far enough after being shot to need any trailing. Last seasons buck was down and dead 20 yards from where he stood when I put a 170 grain Federal power shok tight behind his shoulder. I have lots of other rifles to choose from, including scoped bolt actions chambered in .308 and .30-06 but 90% of the time it will be one of my .30-30 levers that I walk out the door with during deer season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I can see your point, the truth of it in our woods is considerably different. Many if not most of our old timers had already taken to the trees. Those that weren't in trees were sitting on stumps. Our property is filled with at least 2 generations' worth of rotted treestands from the previous owners.

I think the reason for the disparity is that folks in our part of the world were generally hunting small plots that do not lend themselves to still hunting. If you go a quarter mile on most of these farms, you're on somebody else's property.

Besides, this is not about whether you or I can use a 30-30 on deer. This is about the 308 ME and 338 ME. My point is about perceptions, and my point is that my perceptions of a 30-30 in 2002 led me to pretty much the same conclusions as Marlin, specifically that there is room for a .308 chambering that is below a standard .308 WIN in performance, but considerably stouter than the 30-30 WIN.

I will also agree with you that, with 15 years of hindsight, my Marlin 336 in 30-30 WIN has turned out to be quite adequate for whitetail deer. The problem was one of perception. I had been used to the overwhelming power of the 30-06 and I had a somewhat bum experience with my first trip out with the 30-30 and just put the rifle aside and kept going. In future outings, it did just fine in the hands of my sons as the family's designated yute rifle. My point was that the disappointment in the 30-30 drove me to a Savage 99 in 308 WIN. My disappointment in 2002 was shared by a lot of other folks, hence there was a market for the 308 ME.

Last edited by shaman; 01/22/17.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

It's on the 336 and 1895 too. I have a Remlin 336 to compare to my my JM 336. On the Remlin I can look through the receiver and see the rear barrel thread. On my JM's I cannot. The new 1895's are really cut away right underneath the breech bolt.

Here is the post from RPP

Recent "improvements" to Remlin 1894s disqualify them
Dear MOF members,

Like many of you here on this forum, we at RPP have been hopeful that Remington would put their considerable resources to work fixing quality issues with the Marlin rifles. We saw some fit improvement over the last year or so, and it seemed the future was looking up. But while it pains me to go negative on my favorite brand, I do feel obligated to share with all of you my recent experience with several brand new 1894 models.

Right now we have eight freshly minted 1894s (in .44 mag of course) in our shop. All of these exhibit Remington’s latest “improvement.” The visible changes are to the bolt. The company, probably in an attempt to address some feeding issues, decided to lop off the lower support tabs on the bolt face. Just so I’m clear, on these bolts the case head is no longer supported underneath, or in the lower left quadrant of the bolt face. In order to trap the case head during extraction, they moved the extractor lower, so it is now substantially below the axis of the firing pin. In this manner the extractor will, theoretically, exert leftward and upward tension on the case head, forcing it up against the remaining upper left support tab.

Trouble is, this doesn’t actually work. The rifles feed smoothly enough, but fail to eject more often than not, because the poorly supported cases just fall of the bolt before they hit the ejector. Or they droop, and the ejector just shoves them against the inside of the receiver below the ejection port. Not good.

As of this writing we have found no easy fixes to this problem, which shouldn’t be a problem at all. Remington could have done away with any and all feeding issues by simply improving the extractor itself, which is all we’ve ever had to do. With the old, tried and true design you could make a couple of tweaks to the extractor and be golden. Now there is real heartache.

In addition to the aforementioned changes, it is evident that Remington has continued to move toward cheaper, softer metal, and this is affects the way the guns feel. Any attempt to remove or polish material results in a very coarse feeling action. I have concerns about long term wear and strength as well.
While we have already committed to the rifles we have on hand, we will no longer buy or take in Remington made 1894s for use as the base for a custom build. This includes, especially, conversions like our .45 acp short stroke.

If you have a new .44 mag with this issue you should absolutely let Remington know they have taken a wrong turn, as I have attempted to do. For our part, we will continue to work on and provide support for JM rifles. We will also do our best to help folks who have issues with late model rifles.

Kind regards,
AD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RPP recently posted a very similar thing about the new 336's on Marlinowners. He went on to say he will only "soup up" (my words) 336's made between 1970 and 2009. Prior to 1970 he doesn't feel the metallurgy is as good and post 2009 he says the lightening cuts have compromised the 336 receiver. This was in reference to his .36 RPP cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shaman, The gimmick cartridge or trick bullet is what drew me to the 308ME.

You purchase the 308ME ammo and the Hodgdon LE powder and Hornady components to reload the spent brass, and follow Hodgdons recipe. You check the rounds out with a chronograph and then proceed to go hunting. No guess work for the most part.

While my 308ME is capable of good accuracy if I don't get wiggly, I don't use it for benchrest type activities.

If just using the Hornady ammo that is fine also. I think the FTX is a fine killing bullet and have taken deer with it that were DRT's

Nearly 308 Win performance in a nice shooting package. Whats not to like?

Last edited by Chainsaw; 01/23/17.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
shaman, The gimmick cartridge or trick bullet is what drew me to the 308ME.

You purchase the 308ME ammo and the Hodgdon LE powder and Hornady components to reload the spent brass, and follow Hodgdons recipe. You check the rounds out with a chronograph and then proceed to go hunting. No guess work for the most part.

While my 308ME is capable of good accuracy if I don't get wiggly, I don't use it for benchrest type activities.

If just using the Hornady ammo that is fine also. I think the FTX is a fine killing bullet and have taken deer with it that were DRT's

Nearly 308 Win performance in a nice shooting package. Whats not to like?

There really is nothing wrong with the bullet, the powder, the ammo, the cartridge, or the rifle. To me, however, the problem is the long term viability of the chambering and the availability of the ammo and components. We are just emerging from a shortage, and Hornady cut a lot of their bullets in favor of its more popular SKU's. My worry is more about down the road. You also have to remember that I was answering newbie questions when the 308 ME came out. You seem like a fellow that is a lot further down the path.

Funny thing, now that you mention it: in the worst of the powder shortage, I was still able to find Hodgdon LEVERevolution powder. In one case, it was the only smokeless powder on the shelf. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I bought a lb and played with it. It IS good stuff.

My whole reason for posting on this thread was to say that you really can't beat a 308 WIN-ish cartridge with a 150-165 grain bullet loaded for a muzzle velocity somewhere around 2600 fps. Tune it to what fires accurately and what feels right on your shoulder and you've got what I consider to be the ideal whitetail deer rifle. Whether that's done with a 308 Winchester, a 300 Savage, a 308 ME, a 7.62X54R, or a 7.5 Swiss is purely a matter of taste and convenience.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 37 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.