Originally Posted by Fireball2
And one Joe isn't like the other Joe.

Stick with the other one, he can't see through your BS yet. wink

High horse, meet rider.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought my original post was not that bad and not worded harshly enough to get the response it did... but I should have known better! I did not say that It couldn't be done, there are no rules against it, I said I don't do it and gave my reason for that in questions as food for some thought. I even said as long as part of the information was posted you might as well post the rest of the information, it was said it would be given out anyway, so at that point why not?

I have yet to have someone address my questions in a logical civil manner that would make me change my opinion, most people don't seem to mind getting a bargain, we hear about it here all the time, but it seems there are also many who don't want to see someone else get bargain. I still don't like it when an auction I am bidding on gets promoted by someone not really involved, so I am of the conviction in an auction I am not involved in (internet or live - especially live!), I will keep my nose out of it and if someone gets a bargain I don't have a problem with that. If someone has an opinion different than that you are free to say so, but allow me the same for my opinions without threatening the use of "harsh language" in the place of a civil and logically worded statement explaining why.

I may, or may not have gotten a few bargains over the years through auctions, but if anyone has been paying attention to my posts I seldom (and I don't think ever) have quoted what I've paid for anything - another of my convictions that doesn't seem to fit in with the norm here.

I will still be here sharing any information I find or helping with any question where I think I can... but I also will still have the same opinion about posting auctions!

Last edited by GeneB; 01/20/17. Reason: added last line

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't post a up coming auction if I were looking to buy something in it.. but I could care less if someone advertises here ...
it's a dog eat dog world with auctions. But I agree with Doug it's seams like everyone here wants to suppress the 99..
I regularly attend gun shows as I know lots of you guys do.
Take a look around .. 99's are drying up big time. winchesters are every where. they made millions of them.. what do the young guys see ? what are they gonna learn about and take interest in ? any of you put a value on your collections?
I'm with Doug.
thats my 2 cents so let the bashing begin ..

PLAB

Last edited by Plab; 01/20/17.

Gotta love them 303's
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I did just get new glasses. I still haven't figured out how to do the smiley face things? I really don't care about posting live auctions, but when I read the rules, they said don't. I'm kind or a rule oriented person, so I don't. Like Gene said, if I'm bidding on something, I don't post it. But, I usually call the folks around here that I respect and ask if they have seen the item and if they are bidding. If the opening bid is $300, and I'm willing to go $500, and my friend says he'd go $600, I'm not going to bid at all. If it sells for $305, good for my friend. I will conspire to keep a price as low as I can for another 24 member. If I go to a live sale with a bunch of friends and see something I can't live without, I'll tell them, I'm taking that thing home come hell or high water! I would hope they wouldn't bid against me just to see if I'd really go that high. If they tell me they really want something, I back of and say go for it, it's just stuff. This Joe, often referred to as a Fat Dog, respects the other Joe and would rather see picks of his collection and learn about the MHG than waist time talking about auctions, Joe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STOUDTS-BREWING-FAT-DOG-Imperial-stout-TIN-SIGN-/222368584041?hash=item33c6335169:g:2ccAAOSwa~BYRvG3

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STOUDTS-BREWING-FAT-DOG-Imperial-stout-TIN-SIGN-/222368584041?hash=item33c6335169:g:2ccAAOSwa~BYRvG3

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I guess I didn't get that copy and paste thing down right yet, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I really don't care about posting live auctions, but when I read the rules, they said don't. I'm kind or a rule oriented person, so I don't.

You make a very good point Joe, this thread should be null and void if we just stick to the guidelines. Not really rules as some guys choose to ignore them anyways.

Post auctions that are complete- cool

Post auctions that are warnings to potential buyers of known issues- cool

Post auctions that have been online for a long time b/c they are way over priced or just junk-cool

Post things on their first listing that ppl here are likely bidding on and don't wnat competition- NOT cool

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The original intent of having an internet site to chat about guns (and knives)was..., what?
- to learn more about guns! Right?

If this site continues to teach about Savages, great!

If it becomes a contest measuring who makes money buying or selling, I won't waste my time, (which is WAY more valuable than my money or my guns!).

I want to learn more about Savages, sure, so I don't waste my time or money buying worthless junk, (...thats why I'm not on the sites about mossbergs), but also because they are very neat old machines, and I love neat old machines!!

But it is always up to me, and me alone, whether a purchase, or sale, or time spent, has value.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Who made the rule? The people who don't want you to see a live Auction end of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
so I don't waste my time or money buying worthless junk, (...thats why I'm not on the sites about mossbergs)

now, now, now.. I just recently bought a junker, and it also was a Mossberg... because I was trying to learn more about them. It was, however, a really rare version of their pump 22 that used a design that had patents in the name of two of Arthur Savage's sons - sometimes junk (and even Mossbergs) can be a research tool (but only if you can't find a nice example!). I believe this gun was actually designed by Arthur Savage and patented in his sons name only for legal reason, can't prove it but there is information that points to that. This is also the design that the Savage Model 29 was based on, the patents ran out in 1929 - unlike most other Savage guns you will not find any patent information stamped on a Model 29 because it was not based on any of their own patents.

Mossberg Model S
[Linked Image]
PS, I will not post the price I paid for this, not because I thought I got a bargain, but to save myself some embarrassment.

Gene
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow I didn't expect all this. I thought the live auction rule was for online auctions that were happening live as we type. This auction isn't until February 12 and they do not have online bidding. I thought I was doing something to help fellow members find a higher end gun that maybe isn't available very often. As far as posting ebay auctions I have parted out probably 20 guns in the last couple months...some savages...and not said a word here to help my sales because they were live as in happening while I was typing auctions.I don't post here a lot but I do look and read here every day. After all this childish bickering I may not even do that anymore.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GeneB
Originally Posted by JeffG
so I don't waste my time or money buying worthless junk, (...thats why I'm not on the sites about mossbergs)

now, now, now.. I just recently bought a junker, and it also was a Mossberg... because I was trying to learn more about them. It was, however, a really rare version of their pump 22 that used a design that had patents in the name of two of Arthur Savage's sons - sometimes junk (and even Mossbergs) can be a research tool (but only if you can't find a nice example!). I believe this gun was actually designed by Arthur Savage and patented in his sons name only for legal reason, can't prove it but there is information that points to that. This is also the design that the Savage Model 29 was based on, the patents ran out in 1929 - unlike most other Savage guns you will not find any patent information stamped on a Model 29 because it was not based on any of their own patents.

Mossberg Model S
[Linked Image]
PS, I will not post the price I paid for this, not because I thought I got a bargain, but to save myself some embarrassment.

SEE! Now that's what I'm talking about! Education. Thanks for that Gene!

I am given the opportunity to re-examine and re-evaluate myself, and I hereby officially rescind my judgement of Mossbergs.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just like the good ole' days.

Yawn.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bearschlayerx2
I know where there is an upcoming auction with 20 99's and 1899's listed. I believe some of these are pretty high end ones. Now I know that posting auction links is frowned upon here so if you want the info pm me. The guns listed are
1899F combination 300 savage/410 shotgun.cased factory set.mfg 1926
1899 takedown 250-3000 22" barrel mfg 1921
99EG 300 savage 24"barrel checkered
1899 takedown 30-30. 26" barrel marbles tang peep site
1899 cd 38-55 26"octagon to round barrel special order B grade checkering
mfg. 1904
99G takedown 300 savage. 24" barrel wooden takedown case and red Indian box of ammo
1899 30-30. 26" barrel lyman rear tang peep site
99H carbine 30-30 20" barrel lyman rear tang peep site mfg 1931
99G takedown 250-3000 22" barrel mfg 1921
99A carbine 250-3000 20" barrel
1899 takedown "The Imp" 22 hi power 2" barrel mfg 1918
1899 303 26" octagon barrel crescent butt plate barrel stamped FEK mfg 1917
99A 243 20" barrel
1899 takedown 25/35 26" barrel mfg 1920 professionally restored
99M DE Citation grade. 243 22" barrel engraved nickel receiver unfired with box
99 300 savage 24" barrel
99 300 savage 24" barrel engraved scope rings
99 300 savage 24" barrel
99 takedown 250-3000 22" barrel checkered chip at tang mfg 1915
99 300 savage 24" barrel rubber recoil pad sling and period 4x scope

I'll take it.

LOL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can we have a link now the cats out the bag, i'd like to look at them to pass some time

Johno

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I too agree with Doug.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My head hurts....

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To me auctions are no more about the buyer than Reno and Vegas are about winners (gambling wise that is). Auctions are for the seller and they are intended to drive prices to the max, hence auction fever. You want a bargain look elsewhere. As for auctions you always need to set a price point and stick to it. Sometimes coming home with nothing is a clear victory. Finding bargains at an auction can be a bit like the blind squirrel finding a nut.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been away for the weekend,,,,,,,BUYING guns. Nonetheless, I heard about this thread going south. A fair number of you guys make me think you should be in L.A, Wash. D.C., or New York City with all the other women marching in protest. I've been buying guns for a fair number of years and have bought exactly FOUR from an auction site. ALL four guns were from sellers right here on the forum who happened to give themselves a plug. Some of you come here to a collectors site for the sole purpose of value seeking. Others come here and brag about bastardizing a rifle knowing it will undermine a collecting aspect. For years I was a bottom feeder picking up "what was left over". I am old and grumpy now, but finally can pick and choose what I want to buy. Never ONCE asking what it's worth. Only asking my self "What is it worth to me"?

New York was good to me again. I picked up the last 2 1899 "B"s. a 32-40 and a 38-55 to complete the 5. Both rifles have pristine bores

Below those are all 5 99-F's. Laying on the floor is over 16K. Not to brag, but I'm wondering how many here would have done the same. And in another week, I will be getting another rifle that was close to a king's ransom according to some. But I did it and it'll be mine to enjoy however I see fit. An EG in .358.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
LBK, you have good luck, good taste and good logic. I also go on the premis of not necessarily whats it worth, but what is it worth to me. Thanks for the eye candy.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.