Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Variable scopes are constantly updated and "improved" with coatings, better tracking, structure improvements, illuminated offerings, lighter weight, etc. etc. on a yearly basis. In comparison, the advancements in fixed scopes crawl at a snails pace.

Are any scope makers willing to devote more R&D to their fixed scope lines?

BTW, I understand market share plays a part, but you can't tell me there isn't a demand for this at least in the hunting market.

Last edited by 4winds; 01/20/17.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not as many people want them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of those SWFA SS scopes are fixed power and there's a level of innovation in them. I suppose they are somewhat of an exception but they're popular-ish.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They limit shooters that never shoot past 200yards-and usually much less-to 450 or so.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Not as many people want them.

This.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got them right a long time ago........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A quick look through my cabinet reveals not one variable power scope. So the fixed x scopes are popular here. I could be tempted by a good 6x scope with a decent elev. turret, good lenses and be lighter in weight, but otherwise , I do not need all the other stuff. My long range scope is a 20x SWFA and antelope hunting does not require anything other then decent optics, and bullet proof adjustment. So I guess I am set and probably would not be much use to the Scope industry ..........

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't really understand the question.

Leupold pretty much owns the market in mainstream fixed power hunting scopes and I feel the glass and coatings have improved right along with everything else.

Scopes like the SWFA can only go so far in advancements before they become cost prohibitive to the market they are aimed at.

March makes fixed 40 and 50 powers...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

Leupold pretty much owns the market in mainstream fixed power hunting scopes and I feel the glass and coatings have improved right along with everything else.

Scopes like the SWFA can only go so far in advancements before they become cost prohibitive to the market they are aimed at.

Dave

I agree Leupold has the market cornered, but when was the last time there was any updates to any of the fixed scopes in their line? I've had mostly Leupy fixed scopes and know they work just fine (except for the tracking issues according to some on the campfire).

6x36 could be made to the same standards as the 6x42, perhaps both get the HD treatment or M1 turrets as a standard or a big step up like the vx6 vs. vx3 in comparison or some other improvement (IDK what that is as I look through them and don't build them)?

If SWFA could add lighter weight, illuminated reticle, hd glass etc., it would be an excellent addition to the 6x42 super chicken.

Hell, the 4x gets no love from anyone, does anyone other than Leupold even make one anymore?

I started with the 3-9x40 but quickly abandoned the variables once my first 4x showed up. For simplicity, ruggedness, brightness in most realistic hunting situations I don't believe the variables offer any real advantage to a good 4x or 6x. Variable scopes are constantly upgraded, improved, newer, and so on. The fixed scope, not so...

I can't believe there isn't a market for them when SWFA sells out of the 6x and 10x every Black Friday despite the savings. Maybe we don't bich enough to get a fire under the manufacturer's feet to get them to offer any improved features???

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The ones I have will already take me to the end of legal time or dang close. Not sure HD lens would make all that much difference. Once asked a Leupold rep if he thought the HD glass was worth it in a spotter. He said, only if you want to take pics thru it. Leupold will install turrets if one wishes. Most don't care. They are already comparatively LW. Would like to try and illuminated reticle. Other than that, I'm not sure there is much they can do. Leupold makes them and as long as they continue to do so, life is good.

Last edited by battue; 01/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There's always something they can do. Hell they don't even invent marketing B.S. and try to upsell them. Just seems odd.

Is the perception that only Fudds shoot fixed scopes and are stuck in their ways so why bother making any changes or updates?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i don't feel the need to fiddle with a scope's
adjustments while hunting and very seldom when
zeroing or target shooting. the only reason i
have any variables is because of the lesser
cost of purchasing one. i can do all the hunting
i've ever done and ever will do with a high
quality 4X or 6X and never feel handicapped
with it.
i know a lot of younger folks like to twist and
fiddle so they can feel like bob lee swagger,
but i'm nearly an old goat and don't feel the
need and somehow still manage to kill game.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
4-Winds, No, I don't find it odd at all.

IMO, they are perfect as hunting scopes. I have two 6x scopes and the 6x42 with the LRD reticle sits atop one of my favorite hunting rifles. I have one load for that rifle and I built the load to match the LRD drops +/- 1" out to 500 yards.

No turrets to spin...no parallax to mess with...no nothing. Just put the scope on the critter and squeeze.

To me that's the beauty of a fixed scope and a reasonable range: it removed fiddling with things and that simplification lets me focus on other things.

There's simply no need to market or sizzle that concept. Those who want exactly that don't want the sizzle. Because sizzle doesn't exactly put meat in the freezer.

As an aside, the fixed scopes do take advantage of the trickle down of engineering. Leupold has updated the glass on the FX series a few times. On the other hand, there's not much point in updating the zoom...or eyepiece...or whatever else on a scope that doesn't even have those features. smile

Last edited by rnovi; 01/20/17.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

If only Leupy or SWFA had 8x fixed scopes . . . and 'Stick endoresed them . . . the market would go ape schidtt

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4winds

Dave

I agree Leupold has the market cornered, but when was the last time there was any updates to any of the fixed scopes in their line? I've had mostly Leupy fixed scopes and know they work just fine (except for the tracking issues according to some on the campfire).

6x36 could be made to the same standards as the 6x42, perhaps both get the HD treatment or M1 turrets as a standard or a big step up like the vx6 vs. vx3 in comparison or some other improvement (IDK what that is as I look through them and don't build them)?

If SWFA could add lighter weight, illuminated reticle, hd glass etc., it would be an excellent addition to the 6x42 super chicken.

Hell, the 4x gets no love from anyone, does anyone other than Leupold even make one anymore?

I started with the 3-9x40 but quickly abandoned the variables once my first 4x showed up. For simplicity, ruggedness, brightness in most realistic hunting situations I don't believe the variables offer any real advantage to a good 4x or 6x. Variable scopes are constantly upgraded, improved, newer, and so on. The fixed scope, not so...

I can't believe there isn't a market for them when SWFA sells out of the 6x and 10x every Black Friday despite the savings. Maybe we don't bich enough to get a fire under the manufacturer's feet to get them to offer any improved features???

SWFA's sell out because of their reputation for tracking. That has nothing to do with better glass or coatings. Glass and coatings are where the "advances" come from.

And you have to wonder how much "better" the glass and coatings can get on a straight 6X before we're just throwing money down the drain.

If you want an UBER advanced fixed 4X'ish, try this.

http://nightforceoptics.com/competition/4.5x24

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Scopes like the SWFA can only go so far in advancements before they become cost prohibitive to the market they are aimed at...

Dave

I agree with this. I would absolutely love to see some changes to the SWFA SS fixed x line, but for them to implement them might would price themselves out of their biggest market share.

In a perfect world, mine would have:

Zero stop
Low profile elevation turret with large markings
Capped low profile windage turret
Either illuminated reticle or bolder reticle.

Kinda like a fixed x version of a LRHS...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Fixed power users are minimalists and it doesn't take much to keep them happy. Their only complaint is about people who use variable scopes, and since they won't use a variable there is no need to spend money and time making something better that already has a dedicated consumer base.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Different strokes for different folks and variables are more versatile, which means more sells.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 4winds

Dave

...Hell, the 4x gets no love from anyone, does anyone other than Leupold even make one anymore?...

Weaver makes a damn good 4x38 Classic...I've got several of them. Absolutely the best 4x for the money out there IMHO. I believe that Swift makes one that is supposed to be decent. Meopta makes one, but not in a series they import to the US. I have a new production Russian VOMZ 4x32M, steel tube well built with pretty fair glass, but for the same price the Weaver kills it. There is a Romanian company that sells a high end 4x32, can't remember their name off hand...of course you have the regular assortment of cheap junk that has always been there too.

CowboyTim

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fixed power scope development is stagnant because fixed power is static, inflexible, invariable, rigid, narrow, incompliant, and obdurate....... grin

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse last night and not a single fixed power was in the display case. Wouldn't be surprised if fixed power makes up 1% of Leup's annual sales.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.