Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I attended the SHOT show this week, and checked out the Barrett, which is a nice rifle.
I have 2 NULA's and a third almost finished, according to Melvin at the show. I ordered two more NULA's there, a .260 and a .22 LR.
Sorry, I can't talk you out of getting a NULA. You are also right that Melvin (and the rest of us) isn't getting any younger. Think how disappointed you would be if he retired before you got one! Sure, you can tweak, optimize, etc. something less, but it still is less.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Gene, not sure who the seller was. No memory skills these days. I remember thinking how cool it was to get the badass AI in an original rifle. Could have tossed all the extra money over the years in the wife and had 2 of my favorite things to play with. Both lasting my lifetime....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The ULA and the silicone. Just to be clear...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Having just bought a Forbes 24B 270 and seeing how well I can shoot it and how it shoots a variety of ammo well and to the same POI, I have a wild thought to sell a couple rifles and pistols and order a NULA 20B.

I don't know that I need the NULA since I have the Forbes that shoots so well. I can't afford to just buy it right now without selling some guns I would surly miss.I think Melvin getting older has a lot to do with me wanting one in a short action.

I would likely order a 7mm-08 or possibly 308 but the Forbes 270 will do the same job and I think it's just 4 ounces heavier,right?

Please tell me I don't need a NULA, and please think of a downside to selling some guns I no longer use but am attached to,to fund it. Tell me that I can buy a custom sometime later after I've saved the money, that will be even better. Tell me I won't miss out on owning one of the best hunting rifles made if I wait until Melvin is gone.

Or tell me to get busy selling and ordering.

I would just hunt the 24B. A light 270 will cut a big swath in BG hunting. I'd use the money to fund a hunt instead.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think a Kimber 84M or L MT rebarreled with a no.2 contour (same shank, but tapering to .618" @ 22 to avoid opening the barrel channel) at Pacnor is a better hunting firearm than the Forbes. If they were the same price I'd still think that, but the rebarreled Kimber will be 1/2 the price. Better action. Better safety. Better trigger. The only thing the Forbes has better is the stock. "There's not enough there, there."

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Brad
I think a Kimber 84M or L MT rebarreled with a no.2 contour at Pacnor is a better hunting firearm than the Forbes. If they were the same price I'd still think that, but the rebarreled Kimber will be 1/2 the price. Better action. Better safety. Better trigger. The only thing the Forbes has better is the stock.

My .02

Brad
With your good shooting Montana's, will they shoot similar loads,different bullets very close to same POI? How do they do after they have a group or two through them without completely cooling?

I'm still testing my Montana since I bedded it but so far it much prefers one load aver another and it seems POI is changing when it warms up after about 3 shots. I can live with it since it won't prevent making a hunting shot but this Forbes is spoiling me more and more as I shoot it because of those qualities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Before I answer, what does your Forbes mic at the muzzle?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would recommend that you order the short action NULA in either Creedmoor or 7-08 (or 308 if that is your huckleberry). Either one should be twisted 7.5 if Melvin will do it.

Once you have that rifle in hand and ready to roll, then sell all the rest of the detritus including the Forbes, as you won't need them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I don't know my friend,I don't yet own a mic. I can tell you for sure it's a good bit larger than the Montana. If that's a likely reason and a new barrel will possibly fix those issues,just tell me. I'm not some a hole that wants to argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't have to frame your response for defense.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you not reload RH?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Do you not reload RH?

I'll be set up in a couple weeks. I have Co Ax press, dies, powder,primers,bullets. Just need a beam scale, mic, and small tools.

I put it off for years because of room and my rifles shot MOA or better with factory ammo. I have hundreds and hundreds of rounds of brass I've saved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ULA/Nula was probably great 20 years ago. Owned a 284 version but never warmed up to it or the customer service I received. May have just been a fluke. That said, there are a lot of options for great lightweight rifles out there now. I'd look Kimber, Barrett, or Rem 700 in Mcmillan edge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have any of you ever rebarreled a Colt Light Rifle to a short action caliber?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I don't know my friend,I don't yet own a mic. I can tell you for sure it's a good bit larger than the Montana. If that's a likely reason and a new barrel will possibly fix those issues,just tell me. I'm not some a hole that wants to argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't have to frame your response for defense.

.550" ish on my 20b's

Caliper

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the NULA, I have a couple of Montanas and they are nice rifles for the price. Comparing a NULA to a Montana is kind of like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Toyota Corolla, it's utterly ridiculous, and usually only done by the boneheads who never owned and hunted a NULA.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe comparing a NULA to 3 Kimber Montanas evens things out? wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Maybe comparing a NULA to 3 Kimber Montanas evens things out? wink

Usually only carrying one at a time when hunting though.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My tastes have changed with age.

Nowadays, I'd pick a rifle or two that I like, buy a few spare barrel blanks for them and shoot the living piss out of them.

This is my current state as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.