Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You don't need a NULA. We've all been killing animals without them, can keep doing so without them.

BP-B6

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dollar for dollar the Montana and possibly the Forbes is the best deal and it sounds like you have as close to a Nula as you will get without buying one. I wouldn't sell guns I would miss to get one.

The Nula still should be the winner if you are comparing all three as they come in the box. You can get the barrel dimensions you want by asking, and it should shoot better without additional fiddling around. How much better do you think necessary? And be less particular about what you want to shoot than the others.

However, do wish they had the Montana safety.

Last edited by battue; 01/21/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Brad
Before I answer, what does your Forbes mic at the muzzle?

I don't know my friend,I don't yet own a mic. I can tell you for sure it's a good bit larger than the Montana. If that's a likely reason and a new barrel will possibly fix those issues,just tell me. I'm not some a hole that wants to argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't have to frame your response for defense.

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions and reaching the exact wrong one... are you always this passive-aggressive?

Mine was an honest question, the answer to which would help me frame my answer back to you better.

Some people can't be helped. Please refrain from PMing me anymore in the future.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tkinak

I don't know my friend,I don't yet own a mic. I can tell you for sure it's a good bit larger than the Montana. If that's a likely reason and a new barrel will possibly fix those issues,just tell me. I'm not some a hole that wants to argue just for the sake of arguing. You don't have to frame your response for defense.

.550" ish on my 20b's

Caliper

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

Must have a different barrel on the long action Forbes? Or it's not the original barrel on RH Clarks as he says his muzzle diameter is a good bit larger yet your 20b is .550" while most Montanas finish .560" at the muzzle.

Wonder what's up with RH Clarks fatty barrel on the his Forbes.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get one of each

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you have an itch, scratch it.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions and reaching the exact wrong one... are you always this passive-aggressive?

Mine was an honest question, the answer to which would help me frame my answer back to you better.

Some people can't be helped. Please refrain from PMing me anymore in the future.

Wow, right back at you.I never meant to offend you and had no idea I would. I've never been anything except respectful to you, ever.
I was only speaking half in jest because I thought your reply of "I'll tell you ,if you first tell me," was a little strange.I honestly had no thought of any ill will toward you.

I've always considered you a friend, but I guess that sentiment wasn't returned. I've never blown up and and told a friend never to speak to me again over something so silly.

As to PMing you, I think I have about 4-6 times in the last 6 years. I won't do so again.You should have told me after the first one that I was bothering you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by tkinak

.550" ish on my 20b's

Caliper

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

Must have a different barrel on the long action Forbes? Or it's not the original barrel on RH Clarks as he says his muzzle diameter is a good bit larger yet your 20b is .550" while most Montanas finish .560" at the muzzle.

Wonder what's up with RH Clarks fatty barrel on the his Forbes.

I'll pick up one of those HF calipers next week and let you know for sure. It's hard to tell how much by my limited measuring means but my 24B barrel is larger diameter than my 84M Montana.I was just thinking it is because mine is a 24B instead of a 20B. I don't know if it makes any difference but mine was one of the first 20 made.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 20B measures .550 and the 24B measures .615.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perspective: (1) Echols Legend = (4) NULAs and some change.

some will outlay for the Legend without hesitation and I understand why,
so its all relative to ones hip pocket nerve.

How do they do after they have a group or two through them without completely cooling?

I d be happy with a 5lb rifle that put the first group close together,
the second or third group doesnt mean much to how some people hunt.

I consider any big game rifle that consistently clusters the first 3 rounds from a cold barrel,
as good to go...some might like 5 shot groups..but its never meant anything to me in the field.

Originally Posted by ULA24
Comparing a NULA to a Montana is kind of like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Toyota Corolla,

huh?

NULA and Montana have much in common; weight,compactness , xtra slim receiver, front locking turn-bolt

911 rear-engine, rear-drive (vs) Corolla front engine, front-drive.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Perspective: (1) Echols Legend = (4) NULAs and some change.

some will outlay for the Legend without hesitation and I understand why,
so its all relative to ones hip pocket nerve.

How do they do after they have a group or two through them without completely cooling?

I d be happy with a 5lb rifle that put the first group close together,
the second or third group doesnt mean much to how some people hunt.

I consider any big game rifle that consistently clusters the first 3 rounds from a cold barrel,
as good to go...some might like 5 shot groups..but its never meant anything to me in the field.

Originally Posted by ULA24
Comparing a NULA to a Montana is kind of like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Toyota Corolla,

huh?

NULA and Montana have much in common; compact, xtra slim receiver, front locking turn-bolts

911 rear-engine, rear-drive (vs) Corolla front engine, front-drive.

I would agree with you about the first 3 shots shooting well makes it a good hunting rifle. My Montana is pretty consistent in that regard. It does however seem more sensitive to temperature changes when you don't let it completely cool back down before shooting another group.

I haven't tested it to this extreme yet but it does make me wonder if it would be inconsistent during extreme temperature swings just from weather. This year during deer season we had both 7 degree mornings and 80 degree afternoons.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't get one!

They're ugly,

[Linked Image]

And they don't shoot good either!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'd have to talk me IN to ordering a NULA.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Those of you that have, what is the turn around on a Nula from time of deposit sent in?

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine took about 11 months.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think a Kimber 84M or L MT rebarreled with a no.2 contour (same shank, but tapering to .618" @ 22 to avoid opening the barrel channel) at Pacnor is a better hunting firearm than the Forbes. If they were the same price I'd still think that, but the rebarreled Kimber will be 1/2 the price. Better action. Better safety. Better trigger. The only thing the Forbes has better is the stock. "There's not enough there, there."

My .02

Those are debatable points. I'm running multiples of both and like them both.

Better action? I think you'll have a hard time finding that a Kimber action is as true as a NULA. Folks can go back/forth on CRF vs push feed, it doesn't matter to me. I do like the stainless of the Kimber, but the stainless barrel is a bigger concern for me. The short action mag box of the NULA can be really nice.

[Linked Image]

Safety? Neither really matter to me, preference.

Trigger? The Timney trigger on the NULAs seem great to me. Kimber's are fine as well. Both work great and I can't call one better.

I like the fit of the NULA stock better, but fit is individual. Both are good stocks.

The follower in the NULA is much better quality than the Kimber...but if there's not a problem with feeding it doesn't matter.

Barrel and chambering... This is where the NULA really pulls away. Exactly what you want contour, length, chamber, twist, etc...all bedded perfectly.

Kimbers are great but to say they are "better" is a hard line to defend.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Wow, right back at you.I never meant to offend you and had no idea I would. I've never been anything except respectful to you, ever.
I was only speaking half in jest because I thought your reply of "I'll tell you ,if you first tell me," was a little strange.I honestly had no thought of any ill will toward you.

I've always considered you a friend, but I guess that sentiment wasn't returned. I've never blown up and and told a friend never to speak to me again over something so silly.

As to PMing you, I think I have about 4-6 times in the last 6 years. I won't do so again.You should have told me after the first one that I was bothering you.

Brad is still pussy hurt over Bernie Sanders.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy a Kimber Montana and use the rest for a DIY AK caribou or deer hunt.

C
cwh Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
New listing for a NULA in .257 Bob on Gun Bro

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.