Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, I suspect it's a smart move by Hornady. The 6.5 SAUM has been a wildcat for a while now, and as a result there are different versions of reamers, and I believe even GAP even offers two different throat lengths. As a result, it's something of a PITA to come up with a SAAMI acceptable chamber for an existing wildcat.

Hornady bypassed all that by using the RCM case, which doesn't have enough less capacity than the SAUM to make any practical difference in velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
But why not shorten the case to allow 2.8" with a 140? Any manufacturer could adopt it and factory ammo could really shine with a proper reamer....

There aren't any factory 6.5s in short with any poop.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by shootem
2.96 COL. What's it go in. LA? SA? A new Ruger intermediate?

I believe the Ruger 77 SA was actually a "Short Intermediate" at ~3" mag length.
Googling Hornady 6.5 PRC took me to the Hornady page , which in turn referenced the GA Precision page where I found nada
Originally Posted by Hornady FAQ

Where can I find information on the 6.5 PRC?
The 6.5 PRC is a custom cartridge case sold by GA Precision for reloaders. For more information please contact GA Precision directly at www.gaprecision.net or 816-221-1844. You may also contact Gunwerks by calling 877-393-1639 or visit their website: https://www.gunwerks.com/

Wonder if this is a typo by Hornady, as GAP is selling the 6.5 SAUM brass that Hornady makes up for them.
6.5 RCM is interesting if it fits anything. At 2.1" case length it is hardly the Creedmoors bigger brother though.

Soooo, Hornady isn't at this time pursuing a new commercial artridge? just providing cases for GAP? Maybe GAP decided to standardize their 6.5 going forward. The COL still seems weird. Everything I can find shows the Ruger 77 short and compact magnum boxes are less than 3". I didn't measure one so correct if I'm wrong. Remington short sure won't work. Winchester short might, I think. And the Montana short surely will. Sounds like it'll be crammed into a short action or blocked to whatever length needed in a long. Maybe??

edit: and I found the same link on the Hornady site:
http://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/65-PRC

Last edited by shootem; 01/21/17.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not another 6.5 cartridge!! There goes the neighborhood.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5-378 Wby??
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
I predict it will succeed.

1. It has the magical 3,000 fps bullet speed that helped propel the 250 Savage (in its day), the 243 and the 270 to widespread use.

2. It's capitalizing on the long-range shooting fad by advertising a load that features the 140gr ELD Match and calling it a "precision rifle cartridge".

3. Hornady obviously wants it to steal its audience from the very successful 6.5 Creedmoor. They call it the "big brother" to the increasingly popular 6.5 Creedmoor, by inference making the Creed into the 6.5 PRC's "little brother". The message: What kind of wimp wants to be shooting a "little brother" when you could have the big guy? This approach should appeal to the shooter that salivates every time he sees a cartridge with the word "magnum" in its name (which Hornady was careful to include in its advertising with the words "MAGNUM bolt face").

Now, if they REALLY want it to succeed, they will put reasonably priced ammo on the shelves quickly and will have arranged with several rifle manufacturers to build rifles chambered for it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 6.5 PRC is a custom cartridge case sold by GA Precision for reloaders

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After giving it some more thought you may be right on it succeeding for the reasons stated above. If they offer good brass and ammo at a reasonable price then it has a good chance. I have had some interest in some of the Nosler cartridges but brass costs over $4.00 per case here which is kind of tough to swallow. Hornady offers good brass at a reasonable price so we will see. A 140 @3000 fps is a good place to be.

Gerry.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 338Rules
2.96 COL. What's it go in. LA? SA? A new Ruger intermediate?

I believe the Ruger 77 SA was actually a "Short Intermediate" at ~3" mag length.
Googling Hornady 6.5 PRC took me to the Hornady page , which in turn referenced the GA Precision page where I found nada
Originally Posted by Hornady FAQ

Where can I find information on the 6.5 PRC?
The 6.5 PRC is a custom cartridge case sold by GA Precision for reloaders. For more information please contact GA Precision directly at www.gaprecision.net or 816-221-1844. You may also contact Gunwerks by calling 877-393-1639 or visit their website: https://www.gunwerks.com/

Wonder if this is a typo by Hornady, as GAP is selling the 6.5 SAUM brass that Hornady makes up for them.
6.5 RCM is interesting if it fits anything. At 2.1" case length it is hardly the Creedmoors bigger brother though.

Soooo, Hornady isn't at this time pursuing a new commercial artridge? just providing cases for GAP? Maybe GAP decided to standardize their 6.5 going forward. The COL still seems weird. Everything I can find shows the Ruger 77 short and compact magnum boxes are less than 3". I didn't measure one so correct if I'm wrong. Remington short sure won't work. Winchester short might, I think. And the Montana short surely will. Sounds like it'll be crammed into a short action or blocked to whatever length needed in a long. Maybe??

edit: and I found the same link on the Hornady site:

As I measure it, my M77 SA measures about 2.9 inches.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A 140 @3000 fps is a good place to be.

The 6.5x284 will do the same speed, no problem, with a C.O.L. of 2.880"

Compared to the 6.5 PRC of 2.960.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new Barrett hunting bolt action rifles are going to be around 3" mag box...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Grab a 270

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not one mention of the RPR. You can't talk about Ruger and tactical/long range without the Rpr.You see the huge success the CM is in the RPR, wouldn't shock me the least if it ends up in chambered in it.

Adam

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
After giving it some more thought you may be right on it succeeding for the reasons stated above. If they offer good brass and ammo at a reasonable price then it has a good chance. I have had some interest in some of the Nosler cartridges but brass costs over $4.00 per case here which is kind of tough to swallow. Hornady offers good brass at a reasonable price so we will see. A 140 @3000 fps is a good place to be.

Sounds like a good option for your 264 Gerry grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
And the RCM case is just an Imperial Magnum case. None of that stupid belt that is a throw back to double rifles. Should have gotten rid of that across the board years ago.

The belts were introduced to give positive headspace on rounds with long, sloping shoulders in magazine rifles, not doubles, in a way that wouldn't interfere with feeding. Since handloading wasn't something even contemplated for ordinary humans, the potential issues caused by the belts weren't issues at all.

Doubles were chambered for the belted rounds later on, no doubt because the rounds were popular and effective, and ammunition was widely available in far-flung locations, unlike some of the old, proprietary rimmed rounds, many of which went out of production for a time.

Belted cases also made it easy for pioneering wildcatters like Roy Weatherby to develop their creations without having to contract out for special brass, which would have been difficult and expensive, possibly prohibitively so. Later on, Winchester, Remington, and Norma continued to use the same basic case, even though they were perfectly able to start from scratch. Since they were in the business of selling ammuntion, not catering to reloaders, it was a sound decision for the time.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Armednfree
And the RCM case is just an Imperial Magnum case. None of that stupid belt that is a throw back to double rifles. Should have gotten rid of that across the board years ago.

The belts were introduced to give positive headspace on rounds with long, sloping shoulders in magazine rifles, not doubles, in a way that wouldn't interfere with feeding. Since handloading wasn't something even contemplated for ordinary humans, the potential issues caused by the belts weren't issues at all.

Doubles were chambered for the belted rounds later on, no doubt because the rounds were popular and effective, and ammunition was widely available in far-flung locations, unlike some of the old, proprietary rimmed rounds, many of which went out of production for a time.

Belted cases also made it easy for pioneering wildcatters like Roy Weatherby to develop their creations without having to contract out for special brass, which would have been difficult and expensive, possibly prohibitively so. Later on, Winchester, Remington, and Norma continued to use the same basic case, even though they were perfectly able to start from scratch. Since they were in the business of selling ammuntion, not catering to reloaders, it was a sound decision for the time.

Correct and well said.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why thank you Bob.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My short action rugers are about 2.9, anyone measure the COAL you can get away with in one of their scout rifles? I am just wondering if Ruger has the parts on the shelf to chamber for the new round.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question is: will it ever make it out to the general firearms market?

If GAP paid for the development, it's unlikely they did so to allow Ruger to sell a bunch of $300 rifles. Only time will tell, but if I were itching all over for a 3000fps 6.5, I'd probably just latch onto a 6.5-.284, but then I'm not scared of standard-length actions.

Or buy a Creedmore and pretend a bit.....

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
773 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 86 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.