Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Eat your Wheaties and get a Garand. Lol

Seriously though, the BAR is the way to go, they are not that heavy. I recall they used to make a lightweight. They are also dead nutz reliable.

BP-B6

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm sorry, but that is not necessarily so. I can say that because I've been running bolt action rifles on big game since 1967. Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, etc. Never have I been able to match the speed of a second shot that I can with my current M1A. Maybe others can, but not me.
Others may not need a fast second shot, but I do.
Weight ? Having done alot of mountain and rough country hunting on foot, I do appreciate a light rifle. But the most accurate rifle I've ever shot from various field positions was a 10.5 lb., 26 inch barreled Remington 700, VSFS.
Accuracy ? Maybe others can shoot groups that are smaller consistantly from field positioins like standing and sitting with their sub MOA rifles, but I can't. Any load under 2 MOA, and the results are too close to mean anything.
No, I haven't sold my bolt action, big game rifles. But my current M1A Squad Scout allows me to shoot better under the conditions where I prefer to hunt than they do. E

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ranger99
i wonder how many people have actually
used a semi auto hunting rifle extensively
and have had a slew of problems, and how
many just read it somewhere and pass it on
down the line ?

I grew up with one. It was a Remington 742. I never worked as a semi the entire time
I had it. But it was the only rifle my family had. I used it every day I hunted from the time I was 12 until my 18th birthday. That day I went to Superior Shooters Supply and bought a Ruger MKII, 30-06.

The next year I bought a Remington 7400 from the same store. I shot less than 2 magazines sighting it in and it broke the gas block.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Buy an old. 760 Remington. Their accurate, and last forever.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
PA may be on on the verge of legalizing semi auto rifles for deer this year. I've been considering what I might get for deer season. I know that the Remington 742/750 series is junk and the Browning BAR is a bit too heavy and pricy for me. The Winchester 100 and the Ruger Deerfield .44 carbine seem about right but they're old and scarce. I like AR's but they aren't my idea of a deer rifle. I just wonder why there aren't better options for the big game hunter?

What do you typically hunt, and what are typical ranges?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've read comments fom at least two gunsmiths stating that they did a good bit of business "fixing" Remington autos (and pumps) for guys who simply didn't care for them properly. Lots of ordinary deer hunters just wipe 'em down and put 'em away for next year. Sooner or later, that's gonna bite you in the azz.

I suspect that those who shell out the bucks for Brownings and expensive euro-autos take better care of their toys.

The steel receiver Brownings are handsome rifles, if a bit heavy. I doubt I'll ever buy one, but not because they're not good rifles. The alloy models are probably just as "good", but not to my taste.

Autos are necessarily going to be more complicated than other types. I don't understand why the OP thinks "better options" can be produced at a lower cost than what's out there. Good stuff is expensive.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
PA may be on on the verge of legalizing semi auto rifles for deer this year. I've been considering what I might get for deer season. I know that the Remington 742/750 series is junk and the Browning BAR is a bit too heavy and pricy for me. The Winchester 100 and the Ruger Deerfield .44 carbine seem about right but they're old and scarce. I like AR's but they aren't my idea of a deer rifle. I just wonder why there aren't better options for the big game hunter?

Deer and Black Bear at woods ranges.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
H
The FNAR in 308 is a sub moa rifle
But it is heavy

I am one gun away from happy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
not enough interest.

AKA - lack of demand.

Originally Posted by muffin

Rest assured if enough people bought them they would make them...........

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

The 6.5 Grendel, in a lightweight, purpose built hunting AR would be something to seriously look into.

The modern 6.5 projectiles, at Grendel velocities would do quite well.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, a 6.5 Grendel would. So would a 6.6 SPC. Some would even argue the 7.63X39.
If an AR won't do, you can have Accuracy System convert a Ruger Mini 30 either round. I've given serious thought to one myself. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My FNAR is 8lbs and 37" long. It's very accurate but I only use it in the thick stuff for hogs. I feel better with 10 rounds of 308 when in close quarters with hogs. I know it's ugly but it's functional and compact and I've never had a FTF.

[Linked Image]

Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A stock mini 30 would do. The one I had would group about 2" at 100 and was very reliable.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Try an AR.

Something that says Springfield or FN on it?

Maybe a BAR?

Ever heard of Benelli?

Do you really need a rifle cartridge? Because.... Beretta makes some pretty good semi-auto carbines. So did Ruger at some point.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Buy an old. 760 Remington. Their accurate, and last forever.

But it's not a "semi"

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by viking
Eat your Wheaties and get a Garand. Lol

Seriously though, the BAR is the way to go, they are not that heavy. I recall they used to make a lightweight. They are also dead nutz reliable.

My uncle and his wife only used the Browning BAR for years. They loved them. He used a 338WM and she a 270 win. They never had any problems with function or accuracy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Ar in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8Spc. Both are very quick handling and plenty accurate at any woods range.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Blackheart

A stock mini 30 would do. The one I had would group about 2" at 100 and was very reliable.

This. Use cheap ammo for plinking and use good ammo for hunting.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M-14/ M1a???

Probably run into legality issues in too many places for them to be widely marketed towards the hunting crowd...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been shooting a Browning BAR (308 and 30-06) in New York State for over 30 years and never had a malfunction or FTF. Accuracy varies from 1"-1 1/2", the deer never knew he was shot with a semi automatic!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
517 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 46 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.