Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well maybe not, but I'm hoping this pair will get it done for quite a while...

I had Mark Penrod put together a full tilt custom 7MM Rem Mag from a very mistreated 300 H&H action that I had for quite a while. I asked him to do everything functionally to make it perfect as if it were his own rifle. Trued the action from end to end, trigger work, bolt work, safety work etc. stainless Mike Rock barrel that Mark made nice and smooth. Legend carbon stock was all fitted and bedded and then then sent back to McMillan for paint. All the metal is cerakoted. Rig was custom throated long for 180gr bullets and Mark cut me a custom seating die to match the chamber. That's the brown stocked rifle in the picture.

Second one will probably look familiar as I recently picked it up from another member here. Just about exactly what I would have built if I were putting one together from scratch, so couldn't pass up the opportunity when it became available. It's a 338 Alaskan stocked by Gene Simillion in another legend. Gene also developed a load for it and it is a nice 3/4" load running 225 TSX's.

Kinda suspect these will do just about everything I will need to do for the foreseeable future...

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice, those two will insure you're busy keeping that skinning blade sharp too. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad I'm the first one to respond to your thread. I love your rifles! Well, gunner got me by 6 seconds. I used to own the 338WM and can attest that it is a damn fine rifle. EricM had Mr. Simillion put it into the legend stock, but it was already a shooter. Not really a lot of fine tuning needs to be done to a pre 64 to make them perfect anyway. Gunner bought a 375H&H from me that is the same way. You are going to really like both of those rifles. They are a damn fine pair to be admired and used. Good luck with your hunting, you will never need to worry about those rifles ever failing you... Two thumbs way up for your perfect pair. Damn, now I'm sounding like a 270 shooter... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very Nice!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm glad I'm the first one to respond to your thread. I love your rifles! Well, gunner got me by 6 seconds. I used to own the 338WM and can attest that it is a damn fine rifle. EricM had Mr. Simillion put it into the legend stock, but it was already a shooter. Not really a lot of fine tuning needs to be done to a pre 64 to make them perfect anyway. Gunner bought a 375H&H from me that is the same way. You are going to really like both of those rifles. They are a damn fine pair to be admired and used. Good luck with your hunting, you will never need to worry about those rifles ever failing you...

Getting the correct front sight installed then clover leafing three 300 grain BBW #13 solids for a 50 yard zero at 2700 fps with the barrel sights on your old 375 H&H confirms what you say, have NEVER had ANY pre-64 M-70 give me any chit on accurate load development.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree Gunner. There's something vaguely familiar about the OP's 7mm rem mag too, just can't put my finger on it.... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, I bet you can!

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice indeed.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A wonderful pair for sure, enjoy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, you nailed it.

LOL
IC B3

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BSA,

Eric, showed me several of your targets and loads, so I've got plenty of options if I ever need alternatives to the tsx loads.

I have more than a few other options In the safe but I can't imagine they will be seeing much use with these two now in the front of the safe.

Check out my new website

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtnman1
BSA,

Eric, showed me several of your targets and loads, so I've got plenty of options if I ever need alternatives to the tsx loads.

I have more than a few other options In the safe but I can't imagine they will be seeing much use with these two now in the front of the safe.

That's cool buddy. I just wished I would have tried some partitions in it. It wasn't finicky at all, with the bullets I did try though. You got a good one there. Your 7mm rem mag is awesome too. I really like building on the H&H receiver. I don't know if you know this, but your 7mm rem mag will probably hold 4 in the mag box (if done right). You've definitely got a perfect pair right there. I know a few of us have what we consider the "perfect pair" as well. When you find that, it's like pure rifle nirvana. It takes some guys a looooooooooong time to find that, or to even know what that means. Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on things...

BSA MAGA
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Lotta mojo in the Alaskan from what I could tell, before I acquired it. smile and yessir, 4 in the belly with ease and because it was built on the H&H Mark had me seat out a round to his spec based on the bullets i wanted to run and then send it to him to cut the optimal chamber for the 7 mag. Mark was really great to work with.

Check out my new website

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, that is a nice set of rifles!

For me personally the 7mag would be perfect for my hunts (no 338 required here), and I really appreciate the story behind it... it's giving me new (and probably expensive) ideas about a modified / mistreated pre-war resurrection project.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice pair there.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice. There isn't much you could not do with those two.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pair

What's the 7mm weigh?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm surprised bobin hasn't responded to this thread. He must be ice fishing or something...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Lotta mojo in the Alaskan from what I could tell, before I acquired it. smile and yessir, 4 in the belly with ease and because it was built on the H&H Mark had me seat out a round to his spec based on the bullets i wanted to run and then send it to him to cut the optimal chamber for the 7 mag. Mark was really great to work with.

Awesome man!! There have been more than a few threads on that 338, come to think of it. It's a great rifle. If I didn't have my "perfect pair", I'd be a little envious of yours... laugh Actually ,that would be a good thread title. Probably already been used a few times. I know bobin, handwerk, battue, keystoneben (even though they are both 30-06 laugh..) utah708, GSSP, raybass, Donsm70, gunner and many more have what they consider their perfect pair. I'd love to see everyone's perfect pair and I'm not even a 270 shooter/lover... blush NOTE: I didn't mention winpoor because he has too damn many and far too indecisive, same goes for whitebird. Sorry Cliff whistle ...

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've handled both rifles; flawless work in very utilitarian packages. My vote is for the 7mm as a North American do-all rifle. I regretted handing it back to Dale.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 01/22/17.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 83mvp, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.