Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I started the thread from the negative, expecting to hear very little negative. learned some things along the way for sure!

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gary you just don't know what you're talking about. Your explanation of the operating system and statement about what the case MUST do tells me you are overly confident in the fallibility of mechanical devices. You think we're out here making this up? Seriously Gary? I for one was very unhappy that my rifle was defective. Was looking forward to hunting with it. So drop the baseless accusations. What I said happened really happened. It matches what others have said happened with other rifles. I'm not lying and the others are not lying either. And if this is something that can be fixed Beretta customer service should be fixing the rifles instead of telling folks like me they know nothing of this problem. If you want to identify liars look no further than Beretta CS. I know what happened, others like me know what happened, and Beretta knows it happens. Argue the positive merits of a defective design all you like, but don't insinuate I'm dishonest. The thread is yours, I'm done.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Please talk me out of the Sako 85

OK.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND COUNTRY, DON'T DO IT!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own several Finnlights including a 6.5x55, handles great, shoots Nosler Trophy Grade and Hornady SST 140's into 1/2" groups, the ejection can be "funky" at times. For some reason when I put 5 in the magazine and run the bolt hard they eject fine for the first 3 rounds and the 4th one seems not to eject. I figure for deer hunting if I can't kill a deer with 4 shots I deserve to get skunked!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah nobody loves Sako rifles more than Gary, I wish I could find a rifle that I love as much as Gary loves Sako's........I have owned a dozen or so new in box 75/85 model Sako rifles in various models and calibers and they do have good points like fit and finish, i do like the synthetic stocks on Sako 85's but if you guy's are in denial over the ejection issue I'm sorry but it really does exist and is actually rather common.....Im also not a fan of their Optilock mounting system, on the other hand I am no fanboy of any brand of rifle and I can think of features I dont like on almost all of them........I just call it as I have experienced it, no fanboy here...........Hb

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
I own several Finnlights including a 6.5x55, handles great, shoots Nosler Trophy Grade and Hornady SST 140's into 1/2" groups, the ejection can be "funky" at times. For some reason when I put 5 in the magazine and run the bolt hard they eject fine for the first 3 rounds and the 4th one seems not to eject. I figure for deer hunting if I can't kill a deer with 4 shots I deserve to get skunked!

If the top 3 feed and eject correctly, but you have trouble with the last, then what is different, is that last round has the least amount of upward spring force to hold the follower to guide the case. Or, something with the top of the follower, itself, is not correctly guiding the last case.

Make sure all is clean, without burrs, damage, or debris, so the follower runs smooth and free without binding at the top. Make sure the spring has sufficient strength. Compare with a fresh mag box.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/22/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have at least a dozen high quality bolt guns. Two of them are customs. Were I to be forced to part with them the Sako 85 would be the last to go.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gary--thanks, rifle in new and for some reason the mag will hold 5 not 4, I figures the ejection was based on how much pressure was exerted upward. When it gets to the last 2 rounds, no ejection!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guy's stop trying to talk him into one... and let the negative stuff fly.

It is getting hard to find a used one of these are a reasonable price, so if you talk him into it, well it's just one less for guys who know.

The quality of a T3 doesn't even rank with a 85.. OMG.

I have both unlike most of the posters. smile

I was also suprised on one said anything about a A7 Sako, suckers are accurate and right around the gent's 1k range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogger
This sums up the negative vibes:

1. Consider a Tikka instead: less expensive, better scope mounting system, stiffer action, same/better accuracy
2. Beretta support sucks
3. A Tikka is a noticeably lighter rifle to carry in the field
4. Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako
5. Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA
6. Some of the larger (above XS) action sizes have ejection issues
7. COAL can be restricted by the proprietary DBM
8. There is no aftermarket bottom metal available
9. Aftermarket stocks are very limited
10. The lug/block action to stock design is not appealing to some

Let me inject a little reality here, as some folks are clearly going off the deep end, and your list is far from factual:

- A Tikka has plastic parts, and a Sako does not. If that's cool for you, then fine. But's let be clear about why there's a price difference. Nobody is bashing Tikkas here, but they are NOT the same rifle, so let's not pretend that they are or that they are equivalent. There are Savages that will outshoot Sakos, but nobody would pretend that they're the same rifle.

- Scope mounting options are not limited. I have no idea what you're even talking about. The forward ringmount does not have to be positioned all the way forward on the dovetail...you do understand this, right? That fore/aft movement allows you to position the ring as needed to fit your scope. What makes this a PIA is beyond me. Some clearly don't understand how it operates.

- You don't need or want aftermarket bottom metal for a Sako 85. It's already got the highest quality, most well-machined bottom metal available for a rifle.

- McMillan makes stocks for the Sako 85. Is anyone really going to buy a Sako and put a B&C on it?

- I can only speak for the ML action, but my .25-06 has an absurd amount of extra room for COAL. Any cartridge in the .30-06 class could be loaded as long as you wanted.

Last edited by richardca99; 01/22/17.

Chris
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogger,

Thanks for the heads up on that 6.5x55 Sako.

It is basically a black Finnlight, on sale, $400 off. All the internal workings are the same stainless, with the only difference being the receiver and barrel are black.

Been contemplating a 260 Finnlight, but not quite sure having the S-action would be of any advantage for me vs a M-action Swede. Difference weight wise is only 2 or 3 ounces.

That stock could not fit me any better than if it were custom made to my dimensions. Weight wise, it fits my likes very well. Cartridge wise, I think the 6.5x55 makes a better fit than my 243 Sako I recently sold for funds to pursue a 6.5 something else Sako. I may just pounce on this one. Optilock Ringmounts and a fixed LEU 6x could very well be what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/22/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by Dogger
This sums up the negative vibes:

1. Consider a Tikka instead: less expensive, better scope mounting system, stiffer action, same/better accuracy
2. Beretta support sucks
3. A Tikka is a noticeably lighter rifle to carry in the field
4. Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako
5. Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA
6. Some of the larger (above XS) action sizes have ejection issues
7. COAL can be restricted by the proprietary DBM
8. There is no aftermarket bottom metal available
9. Aftermarket stocks are very limited
10. The lug/block action to stock design is not appealing to some

Let me inject a little reality here, as some folks are clearly going off the deep end, and your list is far from factual:

- A Tikka has plastic parts, and a Sako does not. If that's cool for you, then fine. But's let be clear about why there's a price difference. Nobody is bashing Tikkas here, but they are NOT the same rifle, so let's not pretend that they are or that they are equivalent. There are Savages that will outshoot Sakos, but nobody would pretend that they're the same rifle.

- Scope mounting options are not limited. I have no idea what you're even talking about. The forward ringmount does not have to be positioned all the way forward on the dovetail...you do understand this, right? That fore/aft movement allows you to position the ring as needed to fit your scope. What makes this a PIA is beyond me. Some clearly don't understand how it operates.

- You don't need or want aftermarket bottom metal for a Sako 85. It's already got the highest quality, most well-machined bottom metal available for a rifle.

- McMillan makes stocks for the Sako 85. Is anyone really going to buy a Sako and put a B&C on it?

- I can only speak for the ML action, but my .25-06 has an absurd amount of extra room for COAL. Any cartridge in the .30-06 class could be loaded as long as you wanted.

+1 million
I have a NIB Tikka T3x SS rifle that I bought my son a few months back. It is a good first rifle. he will inherit all my rifles and pistols and will have a very good collection at that point. I had an overpriced POS Sako A7Roughtech which I unloaded recently. The only things these rifles share with a Sako is the factory. I really am tired of Plastic and want no more. It is all Steel and maybe an aluminum floorplate or nothing.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've got two Tikka's and a synthetic black. While the ejection has been fine, I have had accuracy issues that I attribute to bedding. I sent it to Beretta, but they said it passed their tests. They did adjust the headspace.

In regard to the Sako stock, mine is noticeably more flexible than the Tikka synthetic stock. I have a McMillan on order. I'm hoping it's the cure.

The Sako feeds perfectly every time. It's a feature I highly value. To me, the ,Sako doesn't balance as well as the Tikka. The front end is too light.

Given the current options in production rifles, It's about trade offs. I'm not sure I would get another Sako.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My only 85 is a 6.5x55. I can seat 130 grain NAB's .015 off the lands. The rifle consistently puts 5 of them well under a half inch. I have had zero problems of any kind with it and it would be the last of my CF hunting rifles to go.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

Been hunting all over the Midwest with these. Ejection angle is a bit higher than most but if you have clearance they're about as good as a hunting rifle gets. Perfect? No but nothing is. These Sakos and the pre 64s would be the last I'd ever get rid of.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice looking rifles, but your scopes are riding way too high for My taste..........Hb

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice looking rifles, but your scopes are riding way too high for My taste..........Hb

They work well for me but if you like em really low you'll kiss the scope on the way out. Head alignment is fine on these for me with both sporting "low" rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

If it fits you, or can be fit w/ small stock dimensional changes, the Sako ergos work best with the classic technique of mounting the gun via the cheek, similar to mounting a fit upland shotgun. If you prefer the technique of mounting the gun via the shoulder, which forces you to stock crawl, so to then bring your head down to the stock, then likely the ergos of the Sako would be off.

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine all wear MCM stocks.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i like my scopes mounted fairly low.......... I like the feel of a Sako 85 rifle but I had ejection issues out of My 30-06 length rifles if I used low Sako ringmounts or Talley low rings, but If a high mounted scope works for you I think it will greatly reduce the notorious Sako straight up ejection issue..........Good luck.......Hb

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

561 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 48 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.