Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I bought a brand new kodiak in .375 last year. Really nice rifle, seemed to be very well made. Would tell you how well it shot except:

It had ejection issues (same as everyone else is seeing). Brass would flip up at too steep and angle and clip the windage knob on the scope, and drop right back into the action. The blade ejector is located at 6 o'clock, which probably doesn't help with this issue.

Anyways, if you are planning to use iron sights, I would say go for it, but highly doubt you are based on caliber. I paid nearly $1800 for mine and was going to use it for hunting bears in AK and DG in Africa, but couldn't get over the ejection issues. The rifle was sold in short order.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since 2006, you have made only 2 posts reference anything Sako.

1st, was one post to give a glowing report on a Kodiak.

Originally Posted by vanbuzen9
Just purchased a Sako 85 Kodiak and a T3 from eurooptic. They are running sales on T3's right now, probably to make room for the new T3x's.

Anyways, I'm happy with both purchases...without much load development, they both shoot less than an inch at 100.

The kodiak (.375 H&H) is about the perfect weight (9.5 lbs with full mag and 2-7x scope), and is very smooth and quiet cycling rounds. My only gripe is that it needs a better recoil pad, which I'll update with a decelerator eventually.

The tikka (.243) reminds me of any of the big brand cheap rifles that are being sold these days, until you work the action...very smooth. I really like the all plastic single stack magazine, feeds really well and is also very quiet and easy to load. Bought this gun primarily as a truck gun for shooting woodchucks at long range and eventually speed goat hunting.

Will be purchasing a few more Sako 85's, next on the list is a black synthetic (1099.99 at eurooptic) and probably one of the brown bear models.

2nd, the post today?????

Again, I will take your 2 posts with a grain of salt. I have run, the Kodiak, in both chamberings, 338 and 375. Granted, I cleaned, inspected, and lubed the rifles before use, but both ran very well, scoped, and unscoped. I no longer have them, because I favor my current 9.3x62, for liveliness in handling.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/26/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just couldn't hold back.
They are not going to concern themselves with those who wish to push the scope lower than factory designs (BS by the way.They don't even have a "factory design"), for personal reasons to execute variations of stock crawl. For those, they give a refund, which is well beyond what other manufacturers will readily offer.

No they don't. Been there. That whole post is wrong in too many ways to argue. Below my complaint to CS:
Customer By Web Form
09/03/2014 06:14 PM
Found out about the chronic ejection problems of the long action 85 after I had purchased one. Sure enough mine is affected. Sized and trimmed brass ejects straight up into the scope and bounces back down onto the follower. Some manage to rattle around and fall out. Sako Finnlight 30-06, LC69 full length sized & trimmed brass. Rifle is unfired. From what I've been able to read on the subject this issue seems to be related to extractor spring pressure, or the lack of. This isn't a new problem. I have researched enough to know there are a substantial number of rifles and owners affected going back pretty much to the 85 inception. None are happy and some are VERY unhappy. FYI I have read multiple reports of service center repairs that did not resolve the problem. The only successful repairs I am aware of were by owners replacing the coil spriing with a stronger version allowing the extractor to override ejector pressure and pull the cartridge case to the side for normal function. Please do not tell me you have never heard of this. So my question is have you yet come up with a fix? If it is a simple parts swap I'll be more than happy to do it myself or have my local gunsmith do it. I would prefer to keep it local if possible. I appreciate your forthcoming response.

Question Reference #140903-000009
Product Level 1: Rifles and Carbines
Product Level 2: Sako 85
Category Level 1: Consumer
Date Created: 09/03/2014 06:14 PM
Last Updated: 09/05/2014 03:41 PM

Their reply:
Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Beretta's Service Position on this issue is shown below:

"Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako 85 rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle."

Regarding your specific inquiry, there is no "fix" for this condition as the ejector is not adjustable in this rifle. The comments that you have read regarding "extractor spring pressure" are not valid. The spring pressure does not affect the ejection trajectory of the casing. The bottom line is if the rifle extracts and ejects the casing, it is considered functional.
Finally, in spite of the Internet chatter, a review of the service history for the Sako 85 rifle over the past 24 months indicates that a fraction of a percent of the rifles sold are returned for service for this issue.
Our suggestion would be to experiment with different scope mounts and/or type of scope to determine what will work best on your rifle.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

Most of these rifles work. A lot don't. Anybody that wants to buy one should. To the OP, sorry your thread ended up this way. But rest assured those of us who identified this problem here aren't liars or troublemakers, even Steelhead. The problem exists on a significant number of rifles and Beretta is not about to start a recall/repair. It's easier to blame the user. For anybody not sleeping at night just google Sako 85 Problems or Sako 85 Ejection. Follow all the links and you'll never get done.
[Linked Image]

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wouldn't buy the POS.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GaryVA

Just purchased a Sako 85 Kodiak and a T3 from eurooptic. They are running sales on T3's right now, probably to make room for the new T3x's.

Anyways, I'm happy with both purchases...without much load development, they both shoot less than an inch at 100.

The kodiak (.375 H&H) is about the perfect weight (9.5 lbs with full mag and 2-7x scope), and is very smooth and quiet cycling rounds. My only gripe is that it needs a better recoil pad, which I'll update with a decelerator eventually.

The tikka (.243) reminds me of any of the big brand cheap rifles that are being sold these days, until you work the action...very smooth. I really like the all plastic single stack magazine, feeds really well and is also very quiet and easy to load. Bought this gun primarily as a truck gun for shooting woodchucks at long range and eventually speed goat hunting.

Will be purchasing a few more Sako 85's, next on the list is a black synthetic (1099.99 at eurooptic) and probably one of the brown bear models.

2nd, the post today?????

Again, I will take your 2 posts with a grain of salt. I have run, the Kodiak, in both chamberings, 338 and 375. Granted, I cleaned, inspected, and lubed the rifles before use, but both ran very well, scoped, and unscoped. I no longer have them, because I favor my current 9.3x62, for liveliness in handling.

Characterizing VB9's post— the one you bird-dogged and labeled "1st"— as "glowing" is beyond hyperbole, unless you failed to quote it in its entirety.

You go on about Sakos like you're Ringman defending Young Earth Creationism. What gives?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Shootem, I had a similar response from Beretta CS when I sent back a Model 85 Finnlight .270 Win with the ejection issue, they more or less told me the rifle was not defective as it would extract and eject a spent case (with no scope installed) they sent the rifle back to Me and there was absolutely no full refund offered (that was hilarious by the way) ......so I feel your pain................Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's got to be a reason Sako offers more high power rifle models with iron sights than any gun manufacturer in modern history. Those are their repeaters.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V

2nd, the post today?????

Good job searching on that one. My original post still stands about the rifle. I shot it at the range without a scope to confirm irons were on...shot well and loved how it handled. Took it back home, mounted a scope to report weight, and posted about it here. Took it back out with a scope, set in medium sako rings, and had ejection failures 90% of the time. Just wanted to post my revised findings here in case people on this site were looking at this rifle for dangerous game. Non-dangerous game? No issues, just rotate the rifle 90 degrees after each shot to clear the spent brass from the action.

Last edited by vanbuzen9; 01/26/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, don't know about ya'll

but if a fellow don't like 85's.......................

there's M995's

[Linked Image]

75's

[Linked Image]

l61r's

[Linked Image]

AII's, and AV's

[Linked Image]

AIII & Vixens

[Linked Image]

Riihimakis

[Linked Image]

heck if one looked high and low, he might even come up with a S491 Action!

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0672.jpg[/img]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Thats some beautiful rifles.....Congrats!....My first Sako rifle was a 491 Hunter in 7mm-08, it was a fantastic rifle though a little heafty........Hb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by Dogger
This sums up the negative vibes:

1. Consider a Tikka instead: less expensive, better scope mounting system, stiffer action, same/better accuracy
2. Beretta support sucks
3. A Tikka is a noticeably lighter rifle to carry in the field
4. Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako
5. Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA
6. Some of the larger (above XS) action sizes have ejection issues
7. COAL can be restricted by the proprietary DBM
8. There is no aftermarket bottom metal available
9. Aftermarket stocks are very limited
10. The lug/block action to stock design is not appealing to some

Let me inject a little reality here, as some folks are clearly going off the deep end, and your list is far from factual:

- Scope mounting options are not limited. I have no idea what you're even talking about. The forward ringmount does not have to be positioned all the way forward on the dovetail...you do understand this, right? That fore/aft movement allows you to position the ring as needed to fit your scope. What makes this a PIA is beyond me. Some clearly don't understand how it operates.

- You don't need or want aftermarket bottom metal for a Sako 85. It's already got the highest quality, most well-machined bottom metal available for a rifle.

- McMillan makes stocks for the Sako 85. Is anyone really going to buy a Sako and put a B&C on it?

- I can only speak for the ML action, but my .25-06 has an absurd amount of extra room for COAL. Any cartridge in the .30-06 class could be loaded as long as you wanted.

My assessment was realistic, fair, and unbiased. In the case of my 85 Varmint 223 8 twist, the mag limits COAL to 2.28". I'm not about to get into an internet pissing contest over whether or not I'm justified in wanting a mag accommodating 2.50+" COAL and more than two aftermarket stock options for a heavy barreled 8 twist 223. Further, denying that scope mounting options are extremely limited is delusional. Finally, you might want to revisit your understanding of the positioning of a front optilock ring on the tapered dovetail.

GaryVA,
You've almost done a fantastic job detailing constraints inherent in the Sako 85 design.

Kingston, one of us does need to revisit his understanding of the Optilock Ringmount, but it's not me. Here are three photos of the same front ringmount at three different positions on the Sako dovetail. Why are you so confused? It's not a matter of just pushing the ringmount all the way forward on the dovetail...the Ringmount is adjustable fore and aft; this allows you to center the reticle and adjust for coarse windage, and it also allows you to position the ring for length of main tube.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Chris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ringmount is adjustable fore and aft; this allows you to:

1. center the reticle and adjust for coarse windage,
2. and it also allows you to position the ring for length of main tube.

By design, you get one or the other, not both— unless by coincidence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone may make offset Optilock ring inserts, not sure, but the inserts can be shimmed, provided you do so in a manner they can still pivot, which is how they function to center the scope.

I set the spacing as needed, shim to square up, then use the dovetail to make small corrections. Works very well.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The point is, you're not limited to one main tube length.

Chris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by richardca99
The point is, you're not limited to one main tube length.

This is not true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure I follow, but there is a short base, a long base, an extended base, a quick release base, and then the straight up mount. There are five ring heights, with the Ringmounts being the fifth. The front mount will clamp anywhere upon the front bridge dovetail, and the rear mount rests on the rear bridge at the limiter pin. But, if you are not addressing iron sights, and have no need for the limiter pin, it can be removed, and you can then clamp the rear mount any place you desire on that dovetail.

Not sure many actually fit mounts anymore, as it sounds, here, that most just put the parts together like plumbing. But, if you hand fit the parts, and make corrections for scope adjustment, the Optilocks are easily shimmed at the ring insert and/or ring-base union, or the clamp can be machined. The mounts can then be removed and replaced without losing that fit.

If this is not enough for you, then a rail could be installed. The above Optilocks are also available with a rail base. You are not limited to the position of fixed holes in a receiver.

Also, not sure who first used the concept of a delrin "ball bearing" ring insert, Burris, Sako, or someone else...but the pivoting, self centering insert is genius.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trying to wade through all the emotions being displayed, and stick with facts.

There is a design, with use of factory mounts as noted above.

Beretta USA had been good with full refunds, on new rifles. Example of how quick:

Originally Posted by Gramps2

04/24/12 - I would like to hear from Sako 85 owners that have had ejection problems (case hitting bottom of scope) with their rifles. Especially those that have been sent back to Beretta or one of their outsourced authorized repair dealers.

04/25/12 - Thanks for listening to me vent guys, gonna have some breakfast, then take on Beretta.

04/25/12 - Heard back from Beretta today. Their fix was to slide scope fore and aft until "right position" for ejection is found. What I found is this fix only makes it hit my scope with the very edge of the case mouth, or it hits my scope with the shoulder of the case. Let Beretta know this afternoon that this did not solve problem, and that I wanted gun fixed right, another gun, or my money refunded.

05/03/12 - Shipped my 85 Sako Finnlight to Beretta USA in Md. this morning. Yesterday I was actually able to talk to a former jarhead like myself, which made me feel somewhat more optimistic.

05/16/12 - Got a call from Beretta USA this morning. Very nice young lady informed me that I would be receiving a check for the price I paid for my 85 Finnlight ST .270 Win. Can't ask for more than that.

Everyone have a great day!

G2

I am familiar with your particular rifle, but, I am unfamiliar with any written request you made, which was denied.

As to your rifle, those comments were made in reference to it being tested and shown to function.

An example, where I am actually named, in one of these Beretta discussions:

The bottom of the bolt face is completely open. This is necessary for the controlled feed of the 85. As GaryVA pointed out, only the extractor is holding the case being pulled rearward. If extractor/spring are not strong enough the case may slide down face of bolt causing front of case to stick upward.

And here is an example of replacing a weak spring, with a stronger Gre-tan, which gave the extractor a stronger hold on the case:

Originally Posted by LRCampos
Folks,
As I posted earlier, my Sako 85 in 30-06 was having problems ejecting empty brass. Not only it hits the botton of the scope (mostly the right turret), but sometimes when extracting the extractor slipped on brass rim and left the brass on top of the magazine, freely.

I took one of the springs and compared with the Sako original spring and noticed that the Gre Tan springs are much longer... may be 3 turns of spring longer.
Also, they seemed much more stronger.

I tried to install the Gre Tan spring but it is a little longer and even compressing it, there will be about hair of the extractor pin that will not go inside the pin hole to allow the original Sako extractor to fit its place. I cut only one turn to allow it to fit completely inside its hole on the bolt.

Now, it was very easy to just snap everything inside the bolt.
First thing I noticed is that the extractor now has much more pressure against the side of the bolt, that is a good thing.
But the final test is really how it would work ejecting new and used empty brass...

And all I can say is that I was amazed at HOW WELL it works!!!
Every single of the more than 100 empty brass (new, full lenghted resized, fired etc) I put through my Sako 85, ejected 100%!!!

Some of the brass still hit the botton of the scope, but it flyes away from the action! This was not happening before the new spring!

Most of the brass was really ejected, like it had a plunger ejector.
I can move the bolt slow or fast and everything works 100%. Not a single brass (I tried loaded rounds too and it worked perfect) was left inside the action, over the magazine. All of them was spitted out of the action!

Now, I have a 100% functional and beautifull Sako 85 Classic in 30-06 !!!
Kampfeld made some custom touches, so it is a real nice rifle that now works 100%.

I am very happy and spent only about U$10,00 to fix something that Beretta SHOULD had done years ago.

Here it is:

[Linked Image]

And with a McMillan Classic stock I ordered from McMillan, for places where put its beautifull walnut stock is not recomended (someplaces here where the european warthog - sus scrofa - hides...):
[Linked Image]

Here the parts I used:
[Linked Image]

As you can see on the photo above, the Brownells part number for the spring kit is # 309-000-009.

I think that, for the price of the Gre Tan Extended Spring Kit, it is worth to try and see if it works on your rifles too. I hope it works for you!

LRCampos.

It is evident that some are frustrated over this, hence, the long threads and emotional responses. I understand that, but I am wading through this to stick with facts, not emotions.

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The fact is that the only time I ever dealt with Beretta CS they denied any wrong on their part when it was clearly their fault.

I bought a new 75 Finnlight from a dealer. Some factory ammo would not chamber in the gun.Not just some brands but several rounds from every brand I tried(4-6).

My dealer called them and sent the gun back in for me. I got the gun back and upon unpackaging it discovered that the receiver was terribly scared. It looked like it had been clamped into an unpadded vice,and had slipped a couple times in that vice. It looked really bad.

My dealer called Beretta but they denied any wrong and claimed that the bolt had come loose in the package and done that damage. The bolt didn't have a mark on it and I don't think it would even be possible to so beat up the receiver with the bolt,even if I tried. This was not a couple scratches or dings.

My dealer just refunded my money since he had packaged the gun and sent it for me. Beretta simply didn't take responsibility for their screw up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see others have come forward with their ejection problems - with the Sako, that is.
It never crossed my mind that a rifle with a significant price and high regard could have such a problem. At consideration expense, I learned a lesson that will only let me "admire" Sakos at arms length and not in my safe.
If there are other models or eras that deliver dependable rifles, fine. I am not going to call anyone here a liar. But I know what I saw with two rifles. I refuse to alter my ring height or tube placement to accommodate a design that ejects brass into the rifle scope. To me that is a fundamental flaw that cannot be tolerated.

So to the original OP's question, buyer beware.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure I follow, but there is a short base, a long base, an extended base, a quick release base, and then the straight up mount. There are five ring heights, with the Ringmounts being the fifth. The front mount will clamp anywhere upon the front bridge dovetail, and the rear mount rests on the rear bridge at the limiter pin. But, if you are not addressing iron sights, and have no need for the limiter pin, it can be removed, and you can then clamp the rear mount any place you desire on that dovetail.

Not sure many actually fit mounts anymore, as it sounds, here, that most just put the parts together like plumbing. But, if you hand fit the parts, and make corrections for scope adjustment, the Optilocks are easily shimmed at the ring insert and/or ring-base union, or the clamp can be machined. The mounts can then be removed and replaced without losing that fit.

If this is not enough for you, then a rail could be installed. The above Optilocks are also available with a rail base. You are not limited to the position of fixed holes in a receiver.

Also, not sure who first used the concept of a delrin "ball bearing" ring insert, Burris, Sako, or someone else...but the pivoting, self centering insert is genius.

There is only one position on the tapered dovetail where a pair of Sako Optilock rings will be both, mounted directly over the bore and parallel to the bore. The distance between the rings is not variable.

Increasing or decreasing that distance requires the use of 2 piece Optilocks with either the "short", "long", or "extended" base. While Sako specifies which action size to match each of these bases with, mismatching them with action sizes outside Sako specifications can theoretically add two alternative ring spacing options for any particular action size. While this is possible, it was not Sako's intention and still results in an overly complex proprietary optic mounting system. Further, despite all the pieces you've listed, optic fitment remains quite limited by modern standards.

The split Delrin heim bushing is a design element, which has proven to be best suited to fooling folks into mounting rifle optics off bore axis on Sako rifles without mangling scope tubes.

Your suggesting the use of shims only further supports my initial supposition that "Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako and that Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA".

I stand by my earnest assessment and suggest you revisit your understanding of Sako's proprietary optics mounting system, particularly in its most contemporary iteration.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.