Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OMG! The sheep hunting game is obviously for rich people only! Ridiculous!

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

😂

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Drummond!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously out of my league. Will simply have to draw a tag, and I've been trying in Oregon since 1975. For years I was proud of Oregon because the Dupont's had to draw a tag just like me. Now money talks and they can hunt sheep every year if they want. Frustrating,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/21/17.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drummond,

Do the winners get to claim the price as a charitable donation? I.e. 501c3 or something like that?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Tanner

Back in the 90's, a dude from Cali who owned a string of tire stores paid in the neighborhood of $190k for the Montana sheep tag. At that time there was a unit in Montana that was producing huge rams (they since caught lungworm and it hammered the population). The dude didn't find a ram he liked so passed that year. Next year he came back and paid ~$250k for the tag and got his ram.

In other words he shelled out something approaching $500k for his sheep.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The sheep game is crazy. Lots of guys with deep pockets willing to pay to play.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's great. Those hunters are pouring hundreds of thousands every year directly into sheep conservation, and that's helping the sheep herds. I might not ever hunt sheep, and if I only it will be a lightening strike stroke of good fortune, but this is what is helping keep sheep there for the chance.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
I think it's great. Those hunters are pouring hundreds of thousands every year directly into sheep conservation, and that's helping the sheep herds. I might not ever hunt sheep, and if I only it will be a lightening strike stroke of good fortune, but this is what is helping keep sheep there for the chance.

Exactly.

Most of the money goes back to the states/provinces.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Drummond,

Do the winners get to claim the price as a charitable donation? I.e. 501c3 or something like that?

Yes sir, subtract the cost of the license and the rest is a write off

Same goes for the outfitters that donate hunts. Those are charitable contributions as well provided you donate to a 501c3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Tanner

Back in the 90's, a dude from Cali who owned a string of tire stores paid in the neighborhood of $190k for the Montana sheep tag. At that time there was a unit in Montana that was producing huge rams (they since caught lungworm and it hammered the population). The dude didn't find a ram he liked so passed that year. Next year he came back and paid ~$250k for the tag and got his ram.

In other words he shelled out something approaching $500k for his sheep.

Casey

Casey,

My post was very tongue in cheek as there has been some serious bitching from people that don't know the conservational value of these tags on other sites. But that is some serious coin, without a doubt! I think if I had that kind of money, I'd do some sheep hunting too.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's hope all that money goes to sheep conservation...or at least the percentage that the WSF says goes towards conservation.

I am not always sure that it does, regarding the various NGOs raising money through tag auctions...

Hunting is becoming a rich man's game, especially sheep hunting. I'd be partaking too, if I could afford to. Gotta admit that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My only Hunting trip out west was back in 1991, No Guides, just a buddie that had hunted in the area some, took a spike Bull and so-so mule deer But one afternoon, I got to see 13 Ewes go by me at about fifty yrds, and later 3 Dandy Rams steped out on a rock cliff 200 yrds above me, I had a Huge Ram in my scope! for 10 mins or so that was better than shooting the other stuff! Ill always see that Ram! Yes if I was Rich id hunt them but at least they are Helping the sheep herds I hope so a poor boy like me may be able to see a wild Ram!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
WOW ! I can remember back when this first started. Kalifornia was slow to adopt it, but, when they did, it took off. Because of this and the restoration of sheep hunting here, our sheep herds are doing better than ever.
I would point out that we wouldn't have any sheep hunting if it weren't for some really dedicated individuals who donated all sorts of time, money and hard work to make it happen. And this was way back before any of us could legally hunt sheep in Kalifornia.
We have learned that it's the very tough to help desert sheep. But they can be helped if we have enough money to do so. Money to develop water im places where it may not rain over an inch in back to back years, and money to fly over the ranges in helicopters to count them.
I'd also point out that it can be very dangerous work. I remember when Dick Weaver almost lost his life, as did the pilot of the helicopter, from a crash while counting sheep. I am in awe of the members of Desert Wildlife Unlimited who would work in desert summer heat of 112 plus to install water for wildlife.
It ain't just the rich that can afford hundreds of thousands to buy a sheep tag. It's a variety of us who love to hunt. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Last nights auction results....

NEBRASKA GAME AND PARKS BIGHORN SHEEP TAG $115,000

BRITISH COLUMBIA SPECIAL MOUNTAIN SHEEP PERMIT $210,000

CARMEN ISLAND, MEXICO, DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP PERMIT $70,000

ALBERTA MINISTER’S SPECIAL BIGHORN SHEEP PERMIT $165,000

KLUANE FIRST NATION DALL’S SHEEP PERMIT $180,000

WYOMING ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIGHORN SHEEP LICENSE $92,500

STATE OF NEVADA NELSON DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP TAG $110,000

IDAHO BIGHORNSHEEP PERMIT $130,000

MONGOLIAN ALTAI ARGALI PERMIT (Trophy Fee Included) $170,000

NEW MEXICO DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP PERMIT $145,000

OREGON BIGHORN SHEEP PERMIT $135,000

ARIZONA DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP PERMIT $210,000

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weird how a desert sheep hunt in Mexico "only" went for 70 grand. I understand it can be problematic getting the hide and horns back over the border. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Seems like prices for particular species are allover the board. Quite a difference between NV, NM and AZ desert sheep tags.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Weird how a desert sheep hunt in Mexico "only" went for 70 grand. I understand it can be problematic getting the hide and horns back over the border. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Seems like prices for particular species are allover the board. Quite a difference between NV, NM and AZ desert sheep tags.

It's more of a supply and demand/trophy potential thing than it is a hassle. It's not difficult getting horns and capes back provided you do it as per the letter of the law.

NM and AZ both give you the chance at a once in a lifetime type animal and demand more because of it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't begrudge them the money, it goes to good causes. The one time I drove over Hoover Dam near sunset there was a bunch of them near the highway, including a couple of good rams.

When it opened a girlfriend and I visited the Grand Canyon Overlook on the Hualapai reservation. One of the tribe told us yes, you can come hunt them on our land, $10k and no guarantee.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Oregon/Washington have had some legal issues with a couple of those auction winners. Usually because Big Eddy has strayed just across the border.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.