Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking of making sights for a muzzleloader, but this is a generic open sight question.

Most O.S.'s are iron or synthetic nowadays and typically blued, black or otherwise dark colors.

Would there be any other issue with lighter colored material being used provide they were matte or otherwise non reflective?

For instance, peep sight from matte brass or other lighter colored material.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Brass etc can be a f*cker in sunlight.

This is far and away my favorite front sight with an aperture.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer a gold bead, like on some of the S&W target revolver sights.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
In regards to peep sights, I don't think a lighter color helps any. Your eye centers the opening because that's where the most light is concentrated. Williams make a "Twilight" aperture with a ring of brass around it. I've got one around here somewhere, I found it too distracting.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RWE,

While I usually prefer a front sight like the one Steelhead posted when using an aperture sight, have also had good luck with traditional brass and gold beads by filing them at a 45-degree angle away from the rear sight. This leaves the flat surface slightly matte-finished, and prevents off-center highlights on the bead. This also works with white beads, but they aren't as critical about highlighting.

Have also used fiber-optic front beads of various colors with good success, but some are relatively fragile.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tmitch
In regards to peep sights, I don't think a lighter color helps any. Your eye centers the opening because that's where the most light is concentrated. Williams make a "Twilight" aperture with a ring of brass around it. I've got one around here somewhere, I found it too distracting.

[Linked Image]

I will never use an aperature without the brass insert. It completely eliminates the "fuzz" factor for me, and my eye interprets that as being a much brighter sight picture overall.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I paint mine with orange nail polish, it's what I use on my nails.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm partial to a gold bead, or gold sourdough- as long as it's gold and not brass or base metal. (I feel that gold has a certain luster that works nicely in a wide range of light in the woods.) I routinely knock beads off of guns I acquire and replace them with gold ones- a small chunk out of the old wedding band, a little solder, and a jeweler's file and presto, a new bead that won't dull or corrode.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Another vote for Steelhead's front sight.
Mine is an AO. Best I've used in low light, and seems to tighten my groups even in direct light (focus, I believe)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.