Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
RDW,
What barrels did you use and who did the work?
Thanks!

Lilja and ITD for all three.

Dave

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by cal74

300 WSM should also be around for some time and a person can always neck that down.

Good Luck

This ^^^^

Or you could take the 300 WSM brass and neck it UP to 8mm and save the cost of the conversion.

Last edited by natman; 01/19/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by smokepole

Not sure of your point but plenty of guys neck down 300 WSM and then fire form it for 7 WSM.

My point is caution...Not everyone is aware of the shoulder location differences for head spacing -
To avoid weakening the web and inducing the possibility of head separation, one should create a
false shoulder on the neck of 300wsm.

Good point

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Maybe I'm getting old, but I seem to remember your calling the Hornady hotline after your RCM erection wouldn't subside after 4 hours.

Blame it on getting old if you want but your memory seems to be full of things that never happened. You're like the dumbocrats Reagan described when he said "It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

But I doubt the first part of Reagan's statement that applies to you.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/20/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Maybe I'm getting old, but I seem to remember your calling the Hornady hotline after your RCM erection wouldn't subside after 4 hours.

Blame it on getting old if you want but your memory seems to be full of things that never happened. You're like the dumbocrats Reagan described when he said "It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

So you didn't get so excited about the RCMs that you called Hornady?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You said you remember me doing it but now you're confused? Kind of proves my point about you and what Reagan said about dumbocrats. But I'm not at all surprised.

No, I never called Hornady about any of the RCM cartridges. When thinking about building a .338-375 Ruger wildcat I did call them about custom dies and was quoted a price of $150. Since I wrote about doing so on this forum and that is the only time I've spoken with them, you are once again conflating things in your mind. In other words you are remembering things that never happened.

Take your meds.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/21/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You said you remember me doing it but now you're confused? Kind of proves my point about you and what Reagan said about dumbocrats. But I'm not at all surprised.

No, I never called Hornady about any of the RCM cartridges. When thinking about building a .338-375 Ruger wildcat I did call them about custom dies and was quoted a price of $150. Since I wrote about doing so on this forum and that is the only time I've spoken with them, you are once again conflating things in your mind. In other words you are remembering things that never happened.

Take your meds.

You never called Hornady?

I can almost visualize you mouthing those words while Bill Clinton's voice is dubbed over.

With the exception of Hybrid V, Hodgdon lists 2800-2850 max with a 180gr bullet. And that's in a 24" barrel.

I bet the telemarketers and home shopping channel do well with you.

Over lunch I called Tim at Hornady Product Support and asked if the 3040fps was a mistake. He confirmed it.

Whether Hornady used a 20" or 24" barrel length really doesn't make much difference to me, although they claim 20". 2900fps would be fine which is still better than a 20" .30-06 can do. What I want is an iron-sighted carbine length rifle and for $499 the Ruger Hawkeye .300RCM fits the bill better than anything else I know of.

You can find your original post right here:

Coyote Hunter Lied

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What to do with a 325 WSM? Shoot the darn thing.........

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can find your original post right here:
Coyote Hunter Lied

Thank you for finding that - my mistake as I had completely forgotten about that call. It was in regard to the accuracy of Hornady's published .300RCM data, not the .338RCM which is the subject of the conversation here.

After reading the link you provided I do remember the call. Tim and I talked about the .300RCM data and he confirmed it was correct as published. The whole conversation was very short - probably no longer than a minute or so.

There is however, a pretty big difference between being mistaken and lying. While I made a mistake, I didn't lie. Lying requires intent, which was absent when I wrote the post. Not that I expect you to understand that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Whew! Does that mean this pissing match is over? I sure hope so.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Part of me wants to troll a bit to get it rolling again just to see how long we can keep them going back and forth wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Part of me wants to troll a bit to get it rolling again just to see how long we can keep them going back and forth wink

Arguing with Coyote Hunter is one of my favorite pastimes, right behind hunting, fishing, and skiing.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my spare time if he concedes so easily.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Arguing with Coyote Hunter is one of my favorite pastimes, right behind hunting, fishing, and skiing.

Conceding nothing, but while you're in a funk wondering what to do, I'm in The Bahamas with very limited internet connectivity. And having a great time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Conceding nothing, but while you're in a funk wondering what to do, I'm in The Bahamas with very limited internet connectivity. And having a great time.

Just don't post any pics of you in a swimsuit and everyone will be ok

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I want one for a 6.5SAUM.

Did one on a Win Mod 70 WSM EW and was very nice, but I sold it frown

The Montana 6.5SAUM would be very nice.

Cheers, Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I want one for a 6.5SAUM.

Did one on a Win Mod 70 WSM EW and was very nice, but I sold it frown

The Montana 6.5SAUM would be very nice.

Cheers, Chris

It would be. I was eyeing a 270 WSM Montana on the used rack yesterday thinking it would make a dandy 6.5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Governor
I purchased a KM 325 a few years ago with the intent of using it as a donor rifle to make a 7wsm. I finally have the funds as well as a trip coming up next year that I need to have the rifle for. Problem is now, brass it hard to find and expensive, and I am concerned I'll end up investing in a "dead" cartridge. Any thoughts to a 7mm caliber for the conversion?

Also, where would the campfire send said rifle for an all-in-one barrel/bedding/accurizing. I was thinking of shipping it off to Pac-Nor but I don't believe they will accurize or bed the rifle, as well as get out any of the possible Montana "kinks."

Thanks

I haven't read the thread so I apologize if I'm repeating stuff.

I had a .325 Montana that I had rebarreled to 7 WSM... a 7 WSM Montana is a very potent rifle, of that there can be no doubt. Recoil is manageable.

As you've noted, headstamped 7 WSM brass is rare and expensive. You'd need around 200-250 cases to get through a barrel. I think you could finangle that on Gunbroker for ~ $500-600.

Here's a couple other comparable options that at least have brass available. First would be 7 SAUM. Nosler/Norma are making it. Second would be 6.5 SAUM. Either neck down 7 SAUM, or else buy headstamped brass from GAP..... GAP has adopted the cartridge and is calling it 6.5 GAP 4s. Nosler brass won't be any cheaper than 7 WSM off Gunbroker, just easier and less drama. GAP brass is Hornady and is $165/100.

For what it's worth, my 7 WSM Montana has ~ 1000 rounds through the barrel, and so is well into middle age... which has me plotting the next move for it. IF WINCHESTER MAKES MORE 7 WSM, I'll probably do that again... I have the reamer. However, I think the highest and best use of a WSM Montana might be the 6.5 GAP... it'll match the drift of the 7 WSM, at significantly less recoil, and what won't it kill effectively that a 7 WSM will? That's my current thinking. I'm about to finish a 6.5 GAP build on a Rem 700.... so I'll have that reamer too......

On the brass front. My buddy just bought Winchester 270 WSM brass from normal internet channels at a normal price for WW brass. It's POSSIBLE Winchester/OLIN are running the WSM's again, which would mean sub-$50/bag WSM brass again..... That. Would. Be. Awesome.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i was thinking about buying one to do a 6.5, maybe the new hornady round, was wondering how the action feeds a saum case,,,

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by 300stw
i was thinking about buying one to do a 6.5, maybe the new hornady round, was wondering how the action feeds a saum case,,,

I assume it would run just as well. I've read that the new 147s at high speeds are fouling badly, however. 0.7bc at 3050 is amazing.

Premium ammo and components are also available, unlike the 7wsm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

As you've noted, headstamped 7 WSM brass is rare and expensive. You'd need around 200-250 cases to get through a barrel. I think you could finangle that on Gunbroker for ~ $500-600.

Jeff, Olin just did a run of 7mm WSM brass last month. I picked up 3 bags locally for Dober at $40 a bag. Cabela's had it in stock for a while too at that price.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

282 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.