Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
2013 Thanksgiving. Driving my wife's 2013 4Runner, my son following in my 2012 Tacoma - Driving through the pass just south of Alpine. We had taken a back road and didn't realize they had shut down the highway. We engaged 4wd in both vehciles, both equipped with Mickey Thompson MTZ's (not snow tires), slowed the frick down and made it through with zero problems with the "part time 4wd"....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

David

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used 100k Tacomas and 4Runners for teens is pretty much standard procedure around here, if the parents can find them and afford them.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 is a good truck. I wish Toyota would have put disc brakes on the back and a bit more agressive tune on the auto transmission, as it upshifts earlier than I'd like. With my 265/75r16 tires, I wind up locking OD out until I hit 50mph on a highway.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Used 100k Tacomas and 4Runners for teens is pretty much standard procedure around here, if the parents can find them and afford them.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 is a good truck. I wish Toyota would have put disc brakes on the back and a bit more agressive tune on the auto transmission, as it upshifts earlier than I'd like. With my 265/75r16 tires, I wind up locking OD out until I hit 50mph on a highway.

Always wondered why they didn't use Disc's in the rear, some on the toyota forums have put 4 runner discs on the rear and they were not pleased with the brake performance for whatever reason. I would like to know why they went away from a locking rear differential and now use ABS to control traction. That is Bullchitt, they alos neutered the Tundra that way as well.

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How well would a Tacoma 6 cyl tow a utility trailer with two quads? Maybe 1,500 lbs? On a 3,000 mile road trip. Through the Rockies. Should I just be looking at a full sized 1/2 ton for that? Also, does a standard quad fit in the bed (not towing at the same time).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
1500# should be no problem. I tow my ~2500# pop-up all over the hills here behind my Frontier (similar power-wise) and it's mostly like it's not there.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
How well would a Tacoma 6 cyl tow a utility trailer with two quads? Maybe 1,500 lbs? On a 3,000 mile road trip. Through the Rockies. Should I just be looking at a full sized 1/2 ton for that? Also, does a standard quad fit in the bed (not towing at the same time).

They tow very very well for their size. I believe in the 6500# range

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't owned a Toyota pickup for a long time, but if you're looking at a quad-cab, I think that the Ford Explorer Sport-Tracs are probably less expensive, very comfortable, and mine has gone everywhere I've tried to take it. I've even slept in the backseat a couple of times while hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High resale value is a good thing....... if you are the one selling. Not as a buyer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm finding that out. They are priced similar to a domestic 1/2 ton, which may be the way I head anyway. The Taco bed sure looks small standing next to it. I was hoping to be able to haul a quad in the bed. I need to look up dimensions and such, but I'm not sure that's a go with the Taco like it is with a full sized truck.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm finding that out. They are priced similar to a domestic 1/2 ton, which may be the way I head anyway. The Taco bed sure looks small standing next to it. I was hoping to be able to haul a quad in the bed. I need to look up dimensions and such, but I'm not sure that's a go with the Taco like it is with a full sized truck.

The Tacoma will not fit a 4 ft wide sheet of plywood between the wheel wells

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for something reasonable and reliable for a first truck AND you can turn a wrench.

Check out the local craiqslist for a 3.0 or 4.0 ohv Ford Ranger. Stay away from the SOHC.

There's typically a few that need a head or head gaskets. 500-1000.00 and throw a 100-500.00 at it. Bottom ends are typically good for 300,000 miles.

Cheap first truck that a guy can get his money out of a year or two later, if not make a little bit.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bought a 3.0 liter Mazda for my son's first truck. 2wd but we had dedicated snows for winter, which makes a TON of difference

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

They tow very very well for their size. I believe in the 6500# range

Even though they're rated for it, you don't want to tow 6500# behind any mid size truck, even with weight distribution and a trailer brake controller it's going to be miserable.

Originally Posted by saddlesore

The Tacoma will not fit a 4 ft wide sheet of plywood between the wheel wells

Not between the wheel wells but it'll fit between the bed sides. Not sure on the width of a 4 wheeler but it might fit, although you'd have to drive over/on top of the wheel wells.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Tacoma ain't for a guy that has a 4 wheeler - it's for the guy that doesn't.....

The bed won't handle a normal 4 wheeler w/o resting the rear tires on the tailgate. The tailgate isn't made for this - eventuallly you will dump your 4wheeler on the highway....

Now for the guy that wants to drive his truck in there, it ain't a 4 wheelerr, but it's worlds lighter than an F150....

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its been a while since I sold my 92 Toyota pickup to my cousin but they are terrific little trucks for hunting or driving around. That old truck would tow a lot of weight ......slowly. It would go most places you could get an atv .

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had a '99 that Toyota bought back due to the frame recall and an '09 after that. My '99 had 150k on it with no issues and it killed me to get rid of it (still drove like new) but I thought I was basically getting to start over with the '09. The '09 was good mechanically but the body had terrible corrosion issues. Lots of surface rust around the windows, windshield and hood. I was actually relieved to sell that one and am currently trying my luck with a '16 F-150 2.8L. I LOVE this truck so far and if it works out, I'll stay Ford but if I can't get 200-250k out of it, I'd probably try my luck on another Tacoma.

If I could find my son an older body-style Tacoma that didn't have the frame rust issues, I'd buy one for him in a second but they're definitely not easy to come by!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All these reports have me leaning toward a full sized 1/2 ton. Same price, same mileage, more capacity. The Toyota looks neat but the newer ones are as much as a full sized truck but they lack the bed, cargo, and tow capacity.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All these reports have me leaning toward a full sized 1/2 ton. Same price, same mileage, more capacity. The Toyota looks neat but the newer ones are as much as a full sized truck but they lack the bed, cargo, and tow capacity.

I have owned 2 tacomas , my brother owns one and has owned at the minimum a small fleet of them for his business. He likes them all 2002 or before models but likes his Silverado much better for anything not work related. Gets the same mileage and 2 times the interior room. I won't buy another Tacoma , next truck will be a 1/2 or 3/4 ton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tacomas aren't for people who need a full size truck. That should be obvious. However, for those who don't, they are great trucks. I love my 2012.

I don't haul loads much over 500lbs and pull small trailers. I've taken my Tacoma down trails I wouldn't have taken a full size truck. I've hauled elk and moose home with it with no problem.

Most maintenance issues can be done at home. I've changed out my gears and added a Detroit TrueTrac, plus replaced all the suspension parts for better.

Tacomas are great for their intended purpose.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Canazes9
The Tacoma ain't for a guy that has a 4 wheeler - it's for the guy that doesn't.....

The bed won't handle a normal 4 wheeler w/o resting the rear tires on the tailgate. The tailgate isn't made for this - eventuallly you will dump your 4wheeler on the highway....

Now for the guy that wants to drive his truck in there, it ain't a 4 wheelerr, but it's worlds lighter than an F150....

David

I have the 6' bed and can fit a standard sized quad in it just fine, the funny thing is, I take my truck most places that I would typically take my quad.

My 2016 will tow my 3K boat just fine.

Last edited by WRO; 02/02/17.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 44mc, 2UP, 300jimmy, 35, 14 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.