Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Neighbor of a freind is selling a 1951 M70 in 270. I looked it over last night and told him I think I will pass, now Im wondering. Bolt matches receiver number, bolt face is clean and not marred or pitted at all. Markings under barrel are stamped 270 and 51. No cracks in wood, white line recoil pad added and stock was definitely refinished some time ago. Checkering is darn near smooth in many places. Low comb stock. Metal finish is worn, no pitting, just thin on the bluing. Front hood missing, rear sight swapped out and now is a Williams buckhorn style. No extra holes in receiver. Crown looks good and barrel is clean and looks good inside. Original swivels. Action cycles nicely, trigger is clean and could use some tweaking to lighten it a tad, more to my liking. Guy wants $500 for it. I have a 270 FWT so I sure dont need it, not that "not needing" a gun ever stopped me from buying before. Thought about it for a project, recut the checkering, clean up the wood, add a repro pad, but who knows. Sorry, didn't take any pictures.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
If one is looking for a shooter, it's worth $500.00....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A good hunting rifle that from the sounds of it is worth the asking price.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I'd have grabbed it.Hard to lose at that price.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

For $500 buy it.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Even with the shortcomings you listed, the gun is a bargain at $500.00 very best WinPoor

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Razz: Your declaration of no extra holes in the receiver and 1951 manufacture makes this Rifle worth the asking price - for the action alone!
Offer him $450.00 and ask for ammo to make yourself feel better.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The standard grades in calibers like the 270 were/are heavy rifles.

If you don't mind it's weight or even like it as it is then make him an offer, For $500 it's not worth the bother.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would buy it and drop it in a McMillan. It certainly should be worth $500.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Razz
Neighbor of a freind is selling a 1951 M70 in 270. I looked it over last night and told him I think I will pass, now Im wondering. Bolt matches receiver number, bolt face is clean and not marred or pitted at all. Markings under barrel are stamped 270 and 51. No cracks in wood, white line recoil pad added and stock was definitely refinished some time ago. Checkering is darn near smooth in many places. Low comb stock. Metal finish is worn, no pitting, just thin on the bluing. Front hood missing, rear sight swapped out and now is a Williams buckhorn style. No extra holes in receiver. Crown looks good and barrel is clean and looks good inside. Original swivels. Action cycles nicely, trigger is clean and could use some tweaking to lighten it a tad, more to my liking. Guy wants $500 for it. I have a 270 FWT so I sure dont need it, not that "not needing" a gun ever stopped me from buying before. Thought about it for a project, recut the checkering, clean up the wood, add a repro pad, but who knows. Sorry, didn't take any pictures.

No pictures needed. You described it quite well. Think of it this way, the receiver with bolt and bottom metal is worth that much. However, if you don't need it, it may not be worth it to you. To someone else, it might be a steal and be exactly what they were looking for to do a build or something. It would be a good candidate for a rebore and new McMillan stock. Many ways to skin that cat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The standard grades in calibers like the 270 were/are heavy rifles.

If you don't mind it's weight or even like it as it is then make him an offer, For $500 it's not worth the bother.

I'm sure since you are the only one here that says it's not worth it, the OP is going to take that to the bank... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all, even Savage 99 for the humorous post. I rethought my decision called and told him what the hell, I'd take it. I have a few other things going on right now, so this may sit in the safe for a bit while I ponder its final state.

Razz
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Gun may have the original rear sight as the Winchester 22G which would have been used in 1951 could be considered 'buckhorn style'....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If it is a 22G/3C, that in itself is worth some money.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The standard barrel 270's and 30-06's make dandy candidates for rebores to 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen; although there is a great deal of fun to be had shooting a 9lb .270. They're great range guns.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You'll never lose money on it at that price. Good call.

Compare that same $500 price tag to what you'd get if you went down and bought something new. What are you going to come away with? A Savage maybe, most likely a Ruger American.

Take the Winchester any day.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Another option if it shoots well is to have the barrel recontoured and stick it in a good synthetic. Exactly what I plan to do when I find the right 270 std wt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You wrote:

"white line recoil pad added and stock was definitely refinished some time ago. Checkering is darn near smooth in many places. Low comb stock. Metal finish is worn, no pitting, just thin on the bluing."

What with the refinished stock. The Metal finish worn, and thin on the bluing I would not want a heavy 270 in just a 'Standard Grade'!

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
You wrote:

What with the refinished stock. The Metal finish worn, and thin on the bluing I would not want a heavy 270 in just a 'Standard Grade'!

No worries, its not for sale. 😀

Razz
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd had of burned my fingers trying to get my wallet out for that one.

You did great. They don't make them like that anymore.

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,038
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.