Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by centershot
You can kill deer with them,but it wouldn't be my top choice for a dedicated 200-300 yard mule deer gun.

Agreed, why I'm asking about experiences from guys that have actually used the .223Rem. on deer. It would not be a dedicated mule deer gun - more of a multi purpose varmint, coyote and possible deer gun.

I think the 55 grn TTSX or the factory loaded 62 grn Federal Fusion would likely shoot well in that stock Winchester.

The bad thing about it is that it will work but would be less than ideal on anything except perfect shot opportunities. In my experience when I am hunting with a gun like that I'm likely to see the trophy of a lifetime only offering me a Texas heart shot.It's a shot I wouldn't think twice about with my 7 mag or 270 and good bonded or Barnes bullets.

The fact is that you can kill the snot out of deer with just a 22 lr if you always place the bullet well.I don't rely on enough gun to make up for poor shot placement but I've often needed something that would leave no doubt about penetration when offered a hard angle shot.

I would hunt the 223 but only knowing that there might be shots I would have to pass up that I wouldn't hesitate on with a different caliber.

You don't believe a Barnes out of a 223 will break a deer pelvis?

I do. My concern is if it will have the penetration necessary to reach vitals after 200 yards. Maybe it's unfounded but I would prefer that shot with my 7 mag.

No second shot allowed?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's not a deer hunt in this country I'd pass up with a 223AI in my hands.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by battue

I would hunt the 223 but only knowing that there might be shots I would have to pass up that I wouldn't hesitate on with a different caliber.

200 yards and under there isn't a shot angle I would pass up with the .223AI that I would take with the 7mm-08, .300Sav, .308W or .30-06. Further with the .22-250.

If you don't want to believe what others here have proven and shown, then you have to prove it to yourself. I trusted their experience and then found out they were right.

I knew lots of folks kill deer with the 223. I just never examined if they were all done with broadside shots or not.I'm not arguing results.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you can't handle the recoil of a real deer rifle perhaps you should stay home on the couch with your knitting. The .223 is a girlyman's deer rifle, O.K. for women and kids for grown men not so much.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So what is a real deer rifle?

I'm about 6' 2" and 210 pounds. I want to make sure I'm killing deer in the right way to go with my size. Should I bring my 338 mag out of retirement?

On second thought big deer around here are 200 pounds, so my 300 Wby. should suffice.

Last edited by mathman; 01/21/17.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Noted.

There are deer and there are deer. Before I burn my stash of CO deer points on a late season tag, it is going to take some serious first hand evidence to leave a 7 at home and take an equally fast 223...

Having hunted upper MI and upper Minne religiously, along with lower Canuckville, have killed some seriously heavy bucks. The heaviest dressed 265. Pig. You seldom have the luxury of a perfect shot.The problem (for me) isn't killing them as much as wanting to avoid the duress of not finding the runners in the wet tangle quickly --which would also cover the private land concern. Being red/green color-blind I rely on cut hair and tracks. Currently am having a hard time trusting that an angulating non-broadside shot with a 65 grain bullet is going to have the same outcome as a 140g bullet.

Maybe it will, I don't know. Will experiment with the locals.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I find it interesting that many argue the merits of the .223 as a deer round but never talk about any short comings.
The short comings are it's small wound channel and less damage than is made by larger bullets.
This doesn't matter if it shot is placed in the forward half of the chest cavity where it penetrates both lungs and lots of blood vessels. The buck isn't going far.
But how about the shots that go bad and hit something that doesn't bleed nearly as much ? Think a .22 caliber bullet will make as large a wound channel as a 7mm - .308 bullet of like construction and velocity ?
One doesn't hear much about fast .270 or '06' bullets that expand rapidly killing quickly with a hit behind the diaphragm. But Jack O'Connor used to write about such things.
I'm not saying this happens much on really big, tough animals, but it does on deer.
John Wooters, in his great book, Hunting Throphy Deer discussed the fact that one rarely gets the time to carefully place his shots on big, old bucks. For that job one needs extra killing ability. That's why he recommended cartriages between .26-.30 caliber pusing bullets between 130-150 grs. in weight between 2800-3000 fps. E

You don't read these threads much. Your first point....At least half tell us how poor the .223 is. Your second point.....The vast majority of people will never see a big old buck. Those old writers were just like the rest of us except they had more time to hunt. That gave them the opportunity to pass on a good deer to wait for a great buck.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can kill deer with them,but it wouldn't be my top choice for a dedicated 200-300 yard mule deer gun.

Agreed, why I'm asking about experiences from guys that have actually used the .223Rem. on deer. It would not be a dedicated mule deer gun - more of a multi purpose varmint, coyote and possible deer gun.

I think the 55 grn TTSX or the factory loaded 62 grn Federal Fusion would likely shoot well in that stock Winchester.

The bad thing about it is that it will work but would be less than ideal on anything except perfect shot opportunities. In my experience when I am hunting with a gun like that I'm likely to see the trophy of a lifetime only offering me a Texas heart shot.It's a shot I wouldn't think twice about with my 7 mag or 270 and good bonded or Barnes bullets.

The fact is that you can kill the snot out of deer with just a 22 lr if you always place the bullet well.I don't rely on enough gun to make up for poor shot placement but I've often needed something that would leave no doubt about penetration when offered a hard angle shot.

I have a Savage 22-250 with a 12 twist and the TTSX shows signs of instability. Groups open up and the target strikes are slightly ovalized.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not trolling - and did see a 223AI Thread that was miles long. Had trouble determining if that was even serious as there are so many smart ass remarks. Seems to be a common theme where the .223 is mentioned as deer worthy.

I am/was in the camp of the .223 being too small, but never having tried it myself, wanted to ask the question. I have been around long enough and shot enough deer to know that a shot with a bullet that light would need to be broadside at reasonable range.

The reason I ask is that I have always wanted a M70 Featherweight (prefer .308) but saw one in .223 at a local shop. I'm trying to justify it to myself and if I could add it as a legit deer killer, well that may just be the tipping point.

This topic comes up often and typically stirs up spirited discussion. You obviously have various camps. Those who roundly eschew the 223 for deer hunting and those who swear by it. What you rarely find is anyone who has experience with the 223 and quality bullets who doesn't recommend it. The overwhelming majority of the detractors have never used a 223 with premium bullets on deer. That tells you all you need to know. I load the 60 grain Partition for my grandson and he is up to over a dozen one shot kills. Most died in their tracks and none have run more than 40 yards or so. Exit holes are the norm along with jellied heats and lungs. These are small coastal deer. It wouldn't be my first choice for a big Mule Deer at 300 yards, but I wouldn't pass on a good shot if I had it either.

A Winchester model 70 FW in 223 is a sweet rifle. Get it!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If you can't handle the recoil of a real deer rifle perhaps you should stay home on the couch with your knitting. The .223 is a girlyman's deer rifle, O.K. for women and kids for grown men not so much.

Funny shiet from a panhandler

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by tomk
Noted.

There are deer and there are deer. Before I burn my stash of CO deer points on a late season tag, it is going to take some serious first hand evidence to leave a 7 at home and take an equally fast 223...

Having hunted upper MI and upper Minne religiously, along with lower Canuckville, have killed some seriously heavy bucks. The heaviest dressed 265. Pig. You seldom have the luxury of a perfect shot.The problem (for me) isn't killing them as much as wanting to avoid the duress of not finding the runners in the wet tangle quickly --which would also cover the private land concern. Being red/green color-blind I rely on cut hair and tracks. Currently am having a hard time trusting that an angulating non-broadside shot with a 65 grain bullet is going to have the same outcome as a 140g bullet.

Maybe it will, I don't know. Will experiment with the locals.

It will. I no more worry about bones and angles when I'm carrying my 223AI than I do say a 35 Whelen.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[quote=battue]
200 yards and under there isn't a shot angle I would pass up with the .223AI that I would take with the 7mm-08, .300Sav, .308W or .30-06. Further with the .22-250.
[/quote

Is it more the 'AI' or the quality projectiles that have elevated the 223 (221, 222, etc) from 'too light' in the eyes of almost every major gunwriter?

I've never shot one at a deer, so I dont know. I am guessing its advancemetns in projectiles.

your thoughts?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bullets are better, barrels are better, optics are better, there are more deer and lots of gun writers suffer from BobinNH syndrome.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Bullets are better, barrels are better, optics are better, there are more deer and lots of gun writers suffer from BobinNH syndrome.

I'll buy all of that.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AI obviously helps a little with MV. Others post of using various bullets. I have only used the TSX and TTSX and friends the same. 5-6 myself from close to around 220 all pass thrus. All went down inside a couple steps at most. One at 75-and with a .22-250-went in the chest and exited the back ham.

Another friend used my .223AI at around 150. Lungs and the deer ran a small circle and dropped.

Friends and their Kids,.223's-Barnes-another 5 all pass thru. One was a bad hit by his Daughter that entered just front of the rear ham. Deer made it around 100-125.

Good bullets for me make the difference.

Addition: One more, Cousin with my .223AI at around 100-125. In the neck and the bullet was found someplace down the spine.

Last edited by battue; 01/21/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, thanks Scott

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No, the excellent Barnes bullets weren't availiable then. But the Nosler Partition was.
I know a number of people who use the .223 on deer and pronghorn. They are very impressed with it. One of them is a close friend who has killed some four year old class bucks with his. BTW, he doesn't use the premium bullets.
My point was that for some due to their hunting conditions and style of hunting, it works well. But for guys like me, who have to deal with big old bucks running and dodging through cover, it is not even a choice. The guys who shoot them beyond 300 yds. don't seem to use it much either.
Yeah, I know a guy who killed a nice pronghorn facing him at over 400 yds. But to say it can be done is not the same as saying it's the best choice. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bucks don't move or dodge thru cover in the big woods States? And most who use them admit 300 is starting to push them. They are what they are and big old Bucks have nothing to do with it.

Addition: And if the hunter/writers of the past have any bearing on the subject, you should read "Alaska's Wolfman" and read what Frank Glaser thought about the Swift and he had the old style bullets. Wasn't till he was messing with big bears until he became concerned.

Last edited by battue; 01/22/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My only experience is with a the 62 TSX. Results have been great and I've never caught a bullet when shooting for bone (which has been all of them). I'm a fan.

After saying that, I'm still hesitant to shoot for lungs only with the TSX. Almost all my hunting is heavily wooded mountain sides and if they run at all they are out of sight. I have no doubts it will work, but if I'm going to follow a blood trail I like it heavy on both sides... I need to send a few through lungs to get over it but I just haven't done it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I killed several Mule Deer on a sort of cull hunt 30 years ago with the only rifle I had available --- A Mini 14 with 55 grain Hornady soft points. They all fell over dead reasonably quickly----- until one didn't. I never found the young Doe.

All shots were less than 100 yards and carefully placed in the lungs. I don't know what happened. Maybe the Partition would help.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 01/23/17.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.