Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Frankly I see it as no big deal to use either method. Just get the gun back in action!
This.

Most of my life, I practiced using the slide release, but in the last few years I primarily use my left hand (all fingers and thumb) over the top of the slide like this:

[Linked Image]

Occasionally, I automatically slip into the use of the slide release, without thinking about it. This is with Glocks, and I don't find the factory slide release to be difficult to use.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What made you decide to slingshot?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
What made you decide to slingshot?

Dave
I started studying what top trainers were advising lately. I figure they know better than I do on such matters.

The theory is that it's a more sure method under stress, but I see your point on that, thus I'm not overly concerned that I occasionally slip back into using the slide release. It would be the only choice, if you were shot in the left arm or hand.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I started studying what top trainers were advising lately. I figure they know better than I do on such matters.

They don't.

Take that FWIW.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If I shoot to slide lock I reload and hit the slide release as I'm pushing the gun back on target. Old habit, but it works for me.

This; it's just ingrained for me.

FWIW, I've seen people have problems when trying to slingshot, mainly because they don't always just let the slide slam home; never saw a problem with dropping a slide release & a failure to slide home with a round.

MM

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would like to preface my response by stating I don't give two flying fugks what method anybody uses. I've seen many shooters utilize both techniques quickly and effectively.

However...

Shooting IS a fine motor skill. You can't eliminate fine motor skill and still shoot effectively. It is unnatural to view a front sight when you're trying to throw a ball. It's not natural to allow something to impact your body without flinching. It's not natural to squeeze a trigger without interrupting your sight picture. I say this a again. Shooting is a fine motor skill.

The notion of using the slingshot has always been a head scratcher for me. What is the intent of the slide release? Decoration? Or to release the slide? If you don't have the dexterity to hit the slide release with your thumb, you don't have the dexterity to thumb your own ass. Meaning, you're an idiot so please remove yourself from the firing line.

Do we "slingshot" the carrying handle on an AR during reloads and speed drills?? No. We hit the fugjking bolt release. What is the difference? Nothing.

And to answer more than honestly, I rarely have to use the slide release because when I re-charge a pistol from slide lock, the slide invariably goes home. The only exception I can think of would be some 1911's, but I consider those to be a modern day POS so never gave it much consideration.

Travis

Well, he's spoken. We can all go home now. It's settled science.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're more than welcome to debate anything I post.

But before you retort, please keep in mind, I know more than you.

Travis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

They don't.

Take that FWIW.

Dave

+1 on that......

Been shooting combat pistol courses since the early 1970s before IPSC was formed. Back then there were only a few of semis that were being used...1911s, Browning HPs and S&W DA semis... No one I remember used slingshot until the 1990s. It wasn't until SIGs and Glocks became popular that slingshot became in more common use and some shooting academies starting teaching it mainly because SIGs and Glocks don't have the most user friendly slide release in both size and location. Because LE started using more and more SIGs and Glocks it then spilled into their training also. Almost all the shooters I see today at IDPA matches use slingshot.

I'm old school and use the slide release almost exclusively. When "speed loading" my strong hand stays in the shooting position and as the support hand slams the magazine home it then rolls into position and the left thumb hits the slide release...it is a lot faster than slamming the mag home, grabbing the slide with the support hand, pull back and then have to relocate the support hand to the firing position...

One style of gun I've observed that should not be used slingshot are those with a hammer-drop safety like a Beretta 92 and S&W Gen I,II,III autos. I've seen several students grab the slide, yank back, have the slide drop and pull the trigger only to have nothing happen because they activated the hammer-drop into the safety position. Never saw it happen during practice but have several times during scenario shoots when the stress is way up....

Have also seen those who only use slingshot do all sorts of gyrations trying to get the slide forward during one handed exercises. Catching the rear sight on the pocket is the most used one. When I point out that all they had to do is use the slide release with their thumb or triggerfinger they get that "oh yea" look on their face... It's what happens when you never use it...you forget that it is there...

To me it is important to know all of them as your favorite may not be most advantageous when most needed...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

But before you retort, please keep in mind, I know more than you.

Travis

A legend in your own mind.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If anyone has a link to what could be considered the proper or correct method for a Lefty to invoke the slide release, I would be grateful.

I consider myself never to old to learn the right way of doing anything.

Thanks,
LD

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are good trainers and bad trainers. I've been to Gunsight, LFI, and DTI (Farnam) classes; all 3 taught the slingshot method. I used the slingshot method until I started competing and that's when I started using the slide stop.

The "theory" of why they don't teach the slide stop thing is two fold...

1 - In a gun fight you'll be under the tachy-psych effect (fight or flight) and you lose fine motor coordination, and thus, you may not be able to hit the slide stop.

2 - If you run the gun dry, slam in a new mag and hit the slide stop in one very quick motion, you could release the slide before the mag is fully seated and end up not chambering a round. Now at IPSC matches, I cant count how many times I've seen exactly that happen; I did it myself a couple of times when I first started using the slide stop. I fixed the problem by only dropping the slide stop with the thumb of my left hand, rather than using my right hand thumb. Since my left hand has to seat the magazine, there's no threat of getting the timing off.

Since I stopped competing, I have gone back to the slingshot method.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

A legend in your own mind.

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I always use the sling shot method for a couple different reasons.

It's easier for me grab the slide than to hit the slide release while keeping a good grip on the pistol.

If you own different types of pistols it works with all of them no matter where the slide release is located.

I read this from Clint smith I believe. If you have a minimum spec chamber( that's already dirty) and your trying to load a maximum spec cartridge the slide will need the extra inertia to go into battery.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 01/22/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunGeek

2 - If you run the gun dry, slam in a new mag and hit the slide stop in one very quick motion, you could release the slide before the mag is fully seated and end up not chambering a round.

Maybe if your eyes are crossed, and your drool is hitting the floor.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DINK
I always use the sling shot method for a couple different reasons.

It's easier for me grab the slide than to hit the slide release while keeping a good grip on the pistol.

If you own different types of pistols it works with all of them no matter where the slide release is located.

I read this from Clint smith I believe. If you have a minimum spec chamber( that's already dirty) and your trying to load a maximum spec cartridge the slide will need the extra inertia to go into battery.

Dink

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Except the extra inertia/dirty chamber part.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What extra inertia? From slide lock to the slide fully to the rear is what....1/8" of an inch? Compressing that spring 1/8" of an inch is what makes the difference? Give me a break.

How to release a slide is by far the best litmus test to separate actual shooters from the rest of the pack.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
Almost all the shooters I see today at IDPA matches use slingshot.
Bob

That's probably a great reason to not do it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I read that along time ago but have never looked up the cartridge/chamber dimensions to see how much crud would have to be built up in the chamber to cause problems.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
TI used the slingshot method until I started competing and that's when I started using the slide stop.

Since I stopped competing, I have gone back to the slingshot method.

When I had to reload as efficiently as possible you used the slide stop. When you weren't forced to reload as efficiently as possible you used the slingshot technique.

That should tell you a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
I read that along time ago but have never looked up the cartridge/chamber dimensions to see how much crud would have to be built up in the chamber to cause problems.

Dink

I can't even Imagine how it would ever make a difference. Lock the slide back, then pull it all the way to the rear, then ask yourself if THAT much spring compression is going to make a difference.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.