Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I can't seem to find the informative thread where folks gave their opinion on the pluses and minuses of how you release a slide to chamber up. I do remember someone saying that a slingshot release caused a misfire. Also some good info in there about "riding" the slide forward.

Can someone tell me where that thread is or repeat what was said about releasing the slide to chamber up? Thanks all.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I dont know, but do slingshot when I'm running a bunch of mags TRYING to be quick and stay on target.

The only AD I've ever had was with a slide release BOOM on a custom 1911 45 ACP I bought that was later found to be loaded with soft titanium race parts. mad

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I shoot to slide lock I reload and hit the slide release as I'm pushing the gun back on target. Old habit, but it works for me.

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/22/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The "Old School" train of thought was that in "games" it's quicker to use the slide release after ramming home a mag. In the "street" scenario, it was felt the "tacky-psyche" effect of the nervous system in a life-or-death situation, would make fine motor skills difficult. So, it was taught that the support hand should slingshot the slide, but using the majority of the hand and not just the thumb and forefinger. Those of use who played the games and also worked the streets, tended to use the slingshot method exclusively to avoid mental confusion in the event a real life scenario played out.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If I shoot to slide lock I reload and hit the slide release as I'm pushing the gun back on target. Old habit, but it works for me.

This is precisely what I do.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The "Old School" train of thought was that in "games" it's quicker to use the slide release after ramming home a mag. In the "street" scenario, it was felt the "tacky-psyche" effect of the nervous system in a life-or-death situation, would make fine motor skills difficult. So, it was taught that the support hand should slingshot the slide, but using the majority of the hand and not just the thumb and forefinger. Those of use who played the games and also worked the streets, tended to use the slingshot method exclusively to avoid mental confusion in the event a real life scenario played out.

Under the stress of being shot at, I have never lost the fine motor skills that so many talk about. When I read such stuff, the first thing that comes to mind, is people who are poorly trained, and not handling stress well.

If you actually have to think about something as simple as a basic reload, then you have not been training hard enough or frequently enough.

Reloads should be at the level of unconscious competence.

As far as I am concerned "Tachypsychia effect" is an indicator of the poorly trained, or people who are in the wrong line of work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I started shooting semi-autos during the old school days, so I always have used the slide release, except with my Glock 30SF. That release is difficult, so I use the slingshot with that one. I don't really think of hitting the release with the thumb as a fine motor skill. The slide release is much quicker, and I do not recall getting either an empty chamber or a jam after using it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can do either with equal facility.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slide release for me. I've done it that way for so many years it's fast and smooth. I've tried the slingshot and the herky-jerky gymnastics seemed much slower for me to get my two handed firing grip and get the front sight back on target.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I guess I started shooting semi-autos during the old school days, so I always have used the slide release, except with my Glock 30SF. That release is difficult, so I use the slingshot with that one. I don't really think of hitting the release with the thumb as a fine motor skill. The slide release is much quicker, and I do not recall getting either an empty chamber or a jam after using it.

I have noted the same thing with standard Glock slide releases, and have replaced most with the slightly extended factory version.

Frankly I see it as no big deal to use either method. Just get the gun back in action!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Under the stress of being shot at, I have never lost the fine motor skills that so many talk about. When I read such stuff, the first thing that comes to mind, is people who are poorly trained, and not handling stress well.

If you actually have to think about something as simple as a basic reload, then you have not been training hard enough or frequently enough.

Reloads should be at the level of unconscious competence.

As far as I am concerned "Tachypsychia effect" is an indicator of the poorly trained, or people who are in the wrong line of work.

It doesn't really matter what you "think." It was a question of what was "trained" in many places. I have the luxury of having been shot at when I was carrying a revolver or an M-16, so I never had to worry about the slide release of a semi-auto pistol.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wasn't dogging on you directly Dan, and I sincerely apologize if it came across that way. Just different perspectives.

I hear way too many "experts" (who don't have 1/2 your experience or mine) use "Tachypsychia effect" as an excuse for poor performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sling shot.

I am nearly 6' 3" but have the hands of somebody who's 5' 9".

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Slide release. Try reloading with one hand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I can do either with equal facility.

Like Jim I can do it either way but mostly slide release. If I am shooting bare handed and have a FTF I roll the pistol to the right and sling shot to hopefully clear and chamber a viable round.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Unfortunately, being left handed, the slide release isn't the quickest option.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's very easy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would like to preface my response by stating I don't give two flying fugks what method anybody uses. I've seen many shooters utilize both techniques quickly and effectively.

However...

Shooting IS a fine motor skill. You can't eliminate fine motor skill and still shoot effectively. It is unnatural to view a front sight when you're trying to throw a ball. It's not natural to allow something to impact your body without flinching. It's not natural to squeeze a trigger without interrupting your sight picture. I say this a again. Shooting is a fine motor skill.

The notion of using the slingshot has always been a head scratcher for me. What is the intent of the slide release? Decoration? Or to release the slide? If you don't have the dexterity to hit the slide release with your thumb, you don't have the dexterity to thumb your own ass. Meaning, you're an idiot so please remove yourself from the firing line.

Do we "slingshot" the carrying handle on an AR during reloads and speed drills?? No. We hit the fugjking bolt release. What is the difference? Nothing.

And to answer more than honestly, I rarely have to use the slide release because when I re-charge a pistol from slide lock, the slide invariably goes home. The only exception I can think of would be some 1911's, but I consider those to be a modern day POS so never gave it much consideration.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Unfortunately, being left handed, the slide release isn't the quickest option.

Yes it is.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm a lefty and always use the slide release.

Even though the Glock 17 slide release is low profile, I've never had an issue in a fair amount of serious training.

To me it's very fast. As my right hand is seating the magazine it is also transitioning into the shooting grip, while I swipe down on the slide release with the side of my trigger finger. It's fast and fluid.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.