A good option for the Ruger LCR?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Absolutely. It's hard cast, so that large, flat, square shouldered, meplat is retained as it's driving through flesh and bone, and since it doesn't expand, lots of energy remains to drive it deep. It's an excellent choice for a snub nose .38 Special.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Absolutely. It's hard cast, so that large, flat, square shouldered, meplat is retained as it's driving through flesh and bone, and since it doesn't expand, lots of energy remains to drive it deep. It's an excellent choice for a snub nose .38 Special.

^^^This! ^^^

I carry that load in my S&W Bodyguard.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My load of choice for my M38 Airweight Bodyguard. I use the Buffalo Bore 158 gr. +P SWC hollow point in my steel K-frames.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The best load in my opinion. Just shoot one into a thick phone book and see the results.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B2

HUNTS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wadcutters are far more effective than many realize.

In fact I recently loaded up some for my .44, and at close range (50 yards and under) they are quite accurate.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple years ago a small local police department here got information a suspect wanted in a shooting incident was holed up in a house in their jurisdiction. They rolled up in front of the house and the shooter popped two shots from a 2" Taurus .38 through a window at them. I happened to be there for a public relations gig for a fall festival and heard the shots just up the street. I responded to assist. After the thing was over one of the local officers commented that the shooters gun "Only had target wadcutters in it. Thank goodness for that!" One of those .38 wadcutters went through the front glass window of the house, through the side window of a Crown Vic and buried up in the passenger front seat head rest. Thank goodness there wasn't a passenger in that car.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've often wondered what a warmly loaded wad cutter would do on game.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I've often wondered what a warmly loaded wad cutter would do on game.

They are fun on rabbits. I am running 3 grains of Clays and a 148 grain Wadcutter, and they smack rabbits with far more authority than your basic .22.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
mac, any supposition how one out of a .rr would work on Deer?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
schidt .44

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I honestly don't know.

While wadcutters seem to give great short range performance, I don't think they have the longer range accuracy of a typical good semi wadcutter.

That said (and this is purely guessing) I think that they would be just fine at 50 yards and in.

Mine however are only 185 grainers, and the intended live targets will be small game. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
10-4

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This guy has an interesting take on the question.

HUNTS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The BB load is 850 fps. Not too much of a good thing in my estimation. Here's a blurb from the BB website about the load-

utilizes a very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet. The bullet is made hard, so it won't deform or mushroom. It cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter", full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue. Although I've never been shot with a full profile wad cutter bullet, I must assume that the initial impact of that wide flat nosed bullet, is crushingly formidable. As a teenager, I took to the woods on a regular basis and killed many a critter with heavily loaded 38SPL wad cutters'. The effect of a full profile wad cutter on small game was obvious and amazing, compared to regular round nosed bullets. That flat nose, literally hammers living things. These bullets are hard and properly lubed and will NOT lead your barrel. Note my velocities from real world "over the counter" revolver s- NOT TEST BARRELS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot placement is king, penetration is queen, all else is gravy...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.