Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm intrigued really. I've been looking at it objectively. I guess if you tested at 50, and had all holes touching, then you could say that it would be good further out. But technically, 1 MOA is like 1/2" at 50 Seems you would have to be very particular in your measurements.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yes but what I am looking for are the "don't bother" type ones that are way off. Then when I have a couple that do end up at a half inch I move to 100

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
IF I had any question regarding 7-8 id ask pharmseller..Or first do some search on his previous posts.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Find some Big Game powder.

Put 47.5 grains in a case with a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer.

Seat a 140 Partition at 2.805"

Report back.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the Lee trimmer, which I found does not quite get the cases cut down to recommended length.

Not sure which Lee trimmer you are talking about, but if it is the one where the pilot screws into the cutter, make sure it is screwed all the way in. I have had that problem with some. The threads get real tight right before it goes all the way in. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Report back.

[Linked Image]

P

Thats what I would love to see on my targets for sure. But I am 100% sure that if I set a Partition at 2.805" I might not even get the bolt closed on my gun.

I've heard good things about Big Game in this cartridge. Enough so that I would definitely think about experimenting one day. For now I'm gonna have to stick with H414 as it shows too much promise.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
pharmseller, is that a standard size RAR or compact?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
I use the Lee trimmer, which I found does not quite get the cases cut down to recommended length.

Not sure which Lee trimmer you are talking about, but if it is the one where the pilot screws into the cutter, make sure it is screwed all the way in. I have had that problem with some. The threads get real tight right before it goes all the way in. miles

Yes, that's the one. I thought that might be the case at first, because normally I find Lee trimmers to actually cut further than recommended. I went ahead and filed off a tad and now I am getting the 2.025" cut recommended. I will say, the metal is soft so if someone was to try this they want to go slow. A few thous is not much with a file.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TwoTonNewt

Report back.

[Linked Image]

P

Thats what I would love to see on my targets for sure. But I am 100% sure that if I set a Partition at 2.805" I might not even get the bolt closed on my gun.

I've heard good things about Big Game in this cartridge. Enough so that I would definitely think about experimenting one day. For now I'm gonna have to stick with H414 as it shows too much promise.

Standard RAR, not compact.

2.800" is SAAMI spec, why would .005" prevent a bolt close?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Same load in a Tikka

[Linked Image]

Same load in another Tikka

[Linked Image]

Big Game is the bee's knees.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Report back.

[Linked Image]

P

Standard RAR, not compact.

2.800" is SAAMI spec, why would .005" prevent a bolt close?

P

I am assuming. I could be completely wrong. I look at the partitions and they do not look much different shape wise than the Sierra pro hunters. I could not get the Sierras out past 2.757" without jamming in the lands.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
One of these days I'll learn how to insert images into the main body and not as an attachment. Until then, this is the target from the other day. First three shots were the ones strung next to each other. Then, I went back and loaded two more in order to see what a 5 shot group would be like. Anyways, its a good start I think.

On a side note. I emailed Hornady last week about their 139 grain interlock, just to see what their recommended minimum velocity is for it. I expected to hear somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800-2000, but they came back with 2300 fps. That seems very high to me. I can't argue with them over it, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason.

Attached Images
TgtGfx1.jpg (83.25 KB, 24 downloads)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The best load I find for my finicky 7mm-08 Forbes is 120 gr Barnes TTxs with 47 gr H380 at a little over 3000 fps.Kills both Elk and deer excellent and never had a bullet stay in game. Fast becoming my favorite rifle and caliber.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

On a side note. I emailed Hornady last week about their 139 grain interlock, just to see what their recommended minimum velocity is for it. I expected to hear somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800-2000, but they came back with 2300 fps. That seems very high to me. I can't argue with them over it, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason.

When you asked for "recommended minimum velocity" did you or they specify minimum muzzle velocity or minimum impact velocity?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by mathman

When you asked for "recommended minimum velocity" did you or they specify minimum muzzle velocity or minimum impact velocity?

I actually asked for minimum impact velocity or minimum impact ft lbs. I did that because I contacted a speer technician last week who said they go off minimum impact ft lbs based on animal size(I was asking about deer and elk hunting).

I'm guessing they probably read it wrong also, so I did reply back to their reply. Hopefully I will get another reply.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've got another question. I went into Cabelas the other day and looked through all their reloading books.

There is a bunch of different data all for the Hornady 139 grain bullet and H414.

Lymans manual lists a MAX charge of 47.6

Hornady lists a MAX charge of 49.9

Hodgdon lists a MAX charge of 47

I know they all test under different conditions, rifles, and such. But that is a very big spread.

I have never worked any load, in any gun, to showing pressure signs. I have loaded at MAX and beyond on a few different occasions, but only just to see how the groups were reacting. Has anyone noticed that this particular bullet shoots best pushed real hard? It seemed to be that way for the Sierra I was working with.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did you notice that for whatever reason the Hodgdon data tops out at only 44,100 CUP?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey Pharmseller,

I have been digging to see just how many people test their loads at 50 yards. I ran across an old thread you started almost 7 years ago. Did/do you use 50 yards as rough cut for load development?

I'd be real curious to see peoples pictures of 50 yard vs 100 yard. I am just about convinced to set up a 50 yard target and try to line it up with my 100 yard board. A shoot through type setup just to see.

I can totally see where at 50 yards it takes a lot of aiming issues out.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you notice that for whatever reason the Hodgdon data tops out at only 44,100 CUP?

I did actually. The Lyman manual lists their MAX load at 46,100 CUP. So at least its a linear progression.

I figure that Hodgdon might use such a low weight because of Summer/Winter temp swings? Error on the side of caution?

Too bad Hornady doesn't list what their pressure is at 49.9.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
2 things:

A. Minimum impact velocity.
Nosler recommends 1800 fps as their minimum impact velocity for adequate expansion. The buck I killed last year with the Partition load got hit by the bullet at about 1950 fps. Destroyed the lungs, broke the off shoulder, and exited. 541 lasered yards, DRT. A spike bull I killed the year before with the same combo took a single bullet at 346 yards, probably close to 2300 fps. Quartering away, broke a rib on the right going in, exited in front of the left shoulder. Dropped like a rock.

2. Whatever 50 yard shooting I did was just to get on paper with a new scope.

Go to shooter's pro shop dot com for half price factory seconds. They're all I shoot.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.