Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The 17 would be known as its "compact carry" version.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on a sample of one G34, they don't know how to make target pistols. Gaston made a wise choice building a service pistol first. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Based on a sample of one G34, they don't know how to make target pistols. Gaston made a wise choice building a service pistol first. smirk
No doubt.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I shot the 17L a few times, meh. Nice but.......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What I find interesting is that many consider a standard government model 1911 as no big deal to conceal, yet poo poo the idea of carrying a G17 or the slightly larger G34.

I have yet to find a centerfire handgun as easy to shoot well, when combining speed and accuracy, as a G34.

In the pure accuracy department, a well built 1911 gets the nod (for me),but when it comes to speed shooting, the G34 has proven to be an exceptional piece.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the case on my G34, the barrel had a bit of play in it while in battery, so it was not what I would expect for a quality target/hunting gun. Perfectly fine for a service pistol, and was completely reliable. Sample of one, of course. I sold it to a member here after letting him try it, and the last I knew he was still happy with it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
What I find interesting is that many consider a standard government model 1911 as no big deal to conceal, yet poo poo the idea of carrying a G17 or the slightly larger G34.
The Glock 17 is my daily carry. Has been since summer. I have a couple of 19s, always figuring that I'd eventually switch to them, but as yet I see zero down side to the 17. I shoot it better, too. I guess the 19 prints ever so slightly less, but when zero printing becomes a top priority, I find that I'm more likely to switch out for a 43 rather than a 19. I guess if I could only ever have one concealed carry gun, it would be a 19. Fortunately, that's not the case.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wish more people and departments/agencies recognized the advantage of longer sight radius.

Grab a timer and shoot comparable handguns with extreme differences in sight radius and you'll quickly realize that it's a game changer.

If you're going to strap something to a duty belt, by all means give me the longer sight radius. Within reason...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Deflave: What you are NOT considering in your contention is that its NOT just the strapping of a pistol to a duty belt!
Then once its strapped there you have to live, work, sit in a car, sit in witness chairs, run with it, fight with it, swim with it, wrestle people with it, draw it from the holster as quick as possible etc etc etc.
I did the above for 3 decades - so's I know!
I switched (at my own personal expense by the way) from a 4" barreled pistol to a 6" barreled pistol - that switch lasted about a year.
I even tried carrying that 6" barreled pistol "cross-draw" for a while.
I went back to the shorter "sight-radiused" pistol and was happy I did.
You would not think 2" in length and a few ounces more would make a difference enough so's one would go back to the shorter barrel length but for me it did.
As well as some of my cohorts.
Indeed the weight and longer sight radius of the longer barreled pistols made a slight difference in qualifying scores for me and others but often it was not worth the "hassles".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
VG,

how about a 1911 for a work gun, size wise?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Deflave: What you are NOT considering in your contention is that its NOT just the strapping of a pistol to a duty belt!
Then once its strapped there you have to live, work, sit in a car, sit in witness chairs, run with it, fight with it, swim with it, wrestle people with it, draw it from the holster as quick as possible etc etc etc.
I switched (at my own personal expense by the way) from a 4" barreled pistol to a 6" barreled pistol - that switch lasted about a year.
You would not think 2" in length and a few ounces more would make a difference enough so's one would go back to the shorter barrel length but for me it did.
Indeed the weight and longer sight radius of the longer barreled pistols made a slight difference in qualifying scores for me and others but often it was not worth the "hassles".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The six inch double action revolver was the standard police length till most cops started driving as opposed to walking their beats. The four inch was adopted due to discomfort while sitting in a car seat with the six inch barrel revolver.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The six inch double action revolver was the standard police length till most cops started driving as opposed to walking their beats. The four inch was adopted due to discomfort while sitting in a car seat with the six inch barrel revolver.

The middle ground, 5" is very hard to beat. Carries like a 4", handles like a 6".

Clark, shut your dirty mouth, you Perv.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I wish more people and departments/agencies recognized the advantage of longer sight radius.

Grab a timer and shoot comparable handguns with extreme differences in sight radius and you'll quickly realize that it's a game changer.

If you're going to strap something to a duty belt, by all means give me the longer sight radius. Within reason...

Dave

This is the main reason why the NYPD is now issuing the 17 two new recruits.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if only it were modular would be much more accurate and reliable.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
if only it were modular would be much more accurate and reliable.
LOL. Yes, that's essential. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never considered that.

Thank you for sharing your experience as a LEO.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The middle ground, 5" is very hard to beat. Carries like a 4", handles like a 6".

Clark, shut your dirty mouth, you Perv.

[Linked Image]

If only your lug was more fuller...

Dave

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never considered that.

Dave

Varmint Guy
Congrats the first guy not to get a GFY

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A set of Warren sights made my G34 a different beast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatboy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never considered that.

Dave

Varmint Guy
Congrats the first guy not to get a GFY

Hank

Oh, he got a GFY - in spades - but would need someone to draw him a picture to explain how.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.