Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The OAL with cast bullets doesn't mean anything useful unless we're both talking about the same bullet, which we aren't, so I can't do much with your measurements.

What bullet are you using, and where is the SWC shoulder relative to the case mouth? It's hard to tell in your pictures but that first pic looks like the shoulder is at or below the case mouth, which will certainly cause problems.

Got a clearer picture of the loaded round?

Look where the SWC shoulder is relative to the case mouth in my first pic above. What do yours do when seated the same way? Ignore the position of the nose and OAL, pay attention to the front edge of the front driving band.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/12/17.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
case length to driving band ..955 anything shorter will not chamber and then these will not extract without grabbing the driving front of the driving band with the empty case

Last edited by ldholton; 01/12/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a lot of picture 3 with my 30SF. Sometimes the case would get farther out but still not fully eject. I don't experience the issue with round nose or hollow point profile bullets because, apparently, the empty case can ride all the way over the top bullet in the magazine rather than getting hung up on the flat shoulder. I get the impression that the spacing is very tight between the case being ejected and the top cartridge in the magazine.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/12/17.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
In picture 3, I think you may have an extractor issue. Check it carefully to see if it's worn, chipped, loose, or has gunk built up underneath. It should rip the rim off the case before allowing that condition, if the extractor is working right.

Picture 2 really looks like a magazine related issue. Are these old mags, or maybe stored loaded for long periods? Pic #1 shows the round with a pretty straight shot into the chamber, you should not end up with any feed issues from that.

It's hard to diagnose from a few pictures, but those really look like issues caused by malfunctioning parts, ejector and magazines specifically.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well no on all accounts does the same thing with 3 different mods the extractors almost new same way if the plunger and spring I've been load ing and working on this kind of things for 40 years. Guess I just got an individual gun but didn't read the rulebook.hope that didn't sound ungrateful for you trying to help I appreciate the gesture

Last edited by ldholton; 01/13/17.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't think I'd write it off to just an "individual gun"; something isn't right there and you shouldn't be having those issues. There is a problem and a solution, but it's hard to tell what it is without having the gun in my hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot thousands of the H&G 68 205g hard cast lead through a variety of Glock .45ACPs and struggled getting them to feed properly until I looked into the OAL and started lengthening it little by little until they feed, fired and extracted perfectly.

I messed around with the crimping and the powder charge to no avail in solving the feeding problem until I "got me some book learnin" and adjusted the OAL. No set formula worked for all guns and each gun is a different beast. I ended up going with the longest OAL that would function through the mags to end up with one OAL for all the .45 shooters I had.

1911's were much easier and didn't require hardly any fussing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redhill
I have shot thousands of the H&G 68 205g hard cast lead through a variety of Glock .45ACPs and struggled getting them to feed properly until I looked into the OAL and started lengthening it little by little until they feed, fired and extracted perfectly.

I messed around with the crimping and the powder charge to no avail in solving the feeding problem until I "got me some book learnin" and adjusted the OAL. No set formula worked for all guns and each gun is a different beast. I ended up going with the longest OAL that would function through the mags to end up with one OAL for all the .45 shooters I had.

Great bullet. I had a 3# coffee can of MO Bullet's version loaded over 5.0 of W231 for 826 fps from 5" 1911's. They fed fine through a G21 and my old G30. Just a FWIW.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My solution was to forget about SWCs in my gun, buy jacketed 9mm bullets cheaper than .45 ACP lead bullets, and shoot the heck out of my Glock 19. For self defense purposes I use hollow points in my 30SF, with an occasional Buffalo Bore 255 +P hard cast. Those feed and function 100%.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by Redhill

Great bullet. I had a 3# coffee can of MO Bullet's version loaded over 5.0 of W231 for 826 fps from 5" 1911's. They fed fine through a G21 and my old G30. Just a FWIW.

I had a Para 14-45 that was a Canadian stock shooter that a Local police armorer did some customizing for me and he recommended that H&G 68 cast bullet with 4.3g of Bullseye for an accuracy load. It was probably around 755fps although I don't remember accuractely. He was skilled in his craft and spot on with his recommendation of that load, a wee bit dirty but very very accurate. I would mentioned how accurate but it would be questioned by some.

Through a client of mine I ended up with a bunch of large bars of linotype and upon meeting a local caster at a gun show he was anxious to trade for those bars. I ended up with about 8,000 H&G 68 bullets and a couple thousand more for a 44 Mag plus about 3,000 .45ACP 230g round nose, I traded a lot of bars!!!!!. Out of a necessity to shoot those bullets I was lead to buy the G30. Great decision and very happy with that model.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run 200LSWC in my G21 with 4.4 g of WST, no problems with feeding but they will not feed in my G30.
Finally gave up and switched to a 200 g Truncated cone, feed fine.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

I think I've forgotten this before.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What brand of bullet you using for the truncated cone?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
That is odd. I have not met a Glock yet that wouldn't run with SWC bullets, although I have seen a very similar issue to what you describe in the XD with the top mounted extractor. You're the first I've heard with first hand experience of that in a Glock, everyone else seems to be repeating what they heard from someone else.

i just saw this. And me having fired a bunch of those swc keith H&G68 style bullets in a springfield XD. Never a problem.
I should add the one problem i did have was in a sig220. Adjusting the O.A.L. solved that issue too.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/18/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry for the delayed response been out of town.
I use Penn Bullets for all of the cast Bullets I buy.
https://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No problem, thanks for the link. I took my Glock out today and shot it for the first time with White Box Winchester. I shot at 16 yards in 25 degree weather with wind gusts at Dollar General Shaving Cream Cans. I didn't do as well as I should have but did manage to "kill" 2 of the 4 bottles while freezing. Can't wait to start reloading for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm shooting them out of 1911's, but I have always run 230gr FMJ's with 5.3 grains of ww231. I can have FMJ's delivered to my door for $119/1,000, which is within $10-$15 of what I would have to pay for coated lead. I don't mind paying a small premium for FMJ's, not that there is anything wrong with coated, plated, or plain lubrucated lead.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know K1500. That's not bad pricing at all.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I paid around $90/1000shipped last time I bought them.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.