Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went over to the dome last night for my boys soccer game. Made it down to the field and noticed the roof was in rough shape. A few minutes later a worker told everyone it was time to go. I took a couple of pics and got out of there. Too bad really, the dome was a big boost to year round sports here in Anchorage. I doubt it will be rebuilt.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/The-dome-closed-after-heavy-snow-collapses-roof-411459985.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm surprised that it does not get 'dusted off' like the old Beluga bldg on UAF. That was an inflated dome that a helo would dust off after snowfalls of sufficient amount.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of the employees told me they were going to put people up there to shovel it off. No friggin way would you get me up there with that much sag in the roof. They have ropes that string up the sides that they shake or move around that's supposed to release the snow. Someone didn't do their job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shame, was great to cast a fly rod there to keep the rust off...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Catch any?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not many...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Someone didn't do their job.

His quotes had some phrases like, "that I'm aware of," and, "virtually every time," that make me think you're right.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We came down from Fairbanks, played a 1:00 PM soccer game there and left about 2:15 or so. I didn't notice anything unusual at that time, but was watching the game not the roof. Everyone got run out around 4:00 I guess. Our Sunday game was rescheduled to Fox Hollow. Another dome, but without the same issues with the snow apparently. The owners are saying it will be rebuilt, but I'm doubtful that anything gets going soon.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is it still owned by the church?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by akpls
We came down from Fairbanks, played a 1:00 PM soccer game there and left about 2:15 or so. I didn't notice anything unusual at that time, but was watching the game not the roof. Everyone got run out around 4:00 I guess. Our Sunday game was rescheduled to Fox Hollow. Another dome, but without the same issues with the snow apparently. The owners are saying it will be rebuilt, but I'm doubtful that anything gets going soon.

My boys game was at 4:00. They ran us out shortly after we got there.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Is it still owned by the church?

I believe it's some other non-profit outfit that owns it. The church filed for BK with that endeavor in 2012 I think.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully they can repair it in time for spring sports, but it sounds like extensive repairs will be needed, not to mention getting all the snow, water and ice off the dome to start repairs.

It's amazing how busy that place is and there really aren't many options for soccer, track, field, baseball, softball, etc., before the outside facilities are snow free.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It's amazing how busy that place is and there really aren't many options for soccer, track, field, baseball, softball, etc., before the outside facilities are snow free.
Yup....Fairbanks soccer teams are usually still indoors until beginning/mid-April and that's only because we now have two outdoor turf fields. When it was only grass it was the very last week of April before we got outside. We were supposed to come down again mid-February, but that's probably off unless they can squeeze everything into Fox Hollow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be surprised if Fox Hollow could handle all the demand. My son plays men's league soccer for two club teams and ODP and high school soccer will be start training the beginning of March. He has games at both at Fox Hollow and the Dome. You add in all the different age groups and that's a lot of kids needing field time.

Seems like outside season starts about the same in Anchorage. I think most if not all the high schools are now turf.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Last year was A bonus for soccer. I don't think they were inside at all.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we may get a late start this year, we got a pretty good snow load.

but then again, they'll probably plow some of it off while it's still cold enough to have frozen ground.

think we have two artificial fields now, but believe that's all folks.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

but then again, they'll probably plow some of it off while it's still cold enough to have frozen ground.

Does it matter? WV is the killer teams?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Just got word that the February trip is still on....everything is supposed to be at Fox Hollow now. It's gonna be a busy place! I also see that the Dome manufacturer thinks they can repair it rather than having to replace.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure mike they've been dominant in the interior for awhile but my boys and the kids within a couple of years of them have moved on so I'm not as up to date on the local soccer scene

Doesn't matter anyway. They get hammered at state by the good anc teams

Seems early in the season they play anc teams pretty tough, but the gap grows as the season moves along

Anc is whetting themselves against good teams week in and week out, whereas wv just doesn't get the work playing against np, hutch etc. some years them and lathrop are both pretty good, but you'd need to combine their teams for them to play competively against the big anc schools

I miss going to matches but lookin back wonder how I ever found time to do so

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Does it matter? WV is the killer teams?
If you consider that over half of their wins in conference come against smaller 3A schools I guess you could say that. They don't look so "killer" when they get down to Anchorage and go up against South, Service, Dimond, etc. What would also really be nice for soccer is to have separate 4A and 3A state tournaments like most of the rest of the HS sports do. We've brought it up to ASAA in the past, but they never seemed too interested in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son said the plan for the Anchorage hs soccer season is to compress the games into the end of the season playing 4 games a week. The kids are going to be worn out and a good chance of some injuries. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Not many good options for indoor training with the dome down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.