Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought of changing sights which are black on a Smith 41 Mag, good for targets....and I never liked Red ramp, my eyes may not see it well - I fail the color blind test so perhaps Red looks different to my eyes. The gold bead seems like a good one for field use. Any issues with changes in outdoor lighting affecting POI?

Also, considered a reflex sight like a Fastfire. For same gun and/or 22 Ruger MKII and Browning Buckmark. I have run 2x in the past, but want minimal compact size and weight.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hate a gold bead, much prefer white/ivory. YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've tried the gold bead with the V rear and did not care for them. YMMV

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the bead/vee on a Redhawk several years ago. I didn't see it clear enough, so took it off. You might try just the white outline rear blade with the black front. It works pretty good for me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have zero use for any bead or a v-notch rear sight. The best for me gives a Bomar sight picture, flat face square notch rear with black Patridge, 20 degree serrated or just a serrated ramp depending upon the firearms purpose.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Another one that been there and done that with the gold bead/V and would not do it again.

I didn't specify what sights I wanted on a custom .41 Gary Reeder I ordered and it came with a Freedom Arms gold bead front and Ruger V notch rear. For me it was very difficult to hold the correct vertical alignment between the front and rear sights. Put a One-Ragged-Hole aperture on the rear and that was better. Eventually changed out to a Freedom Arms Green FO front and Bowen rear replacement sight and it is excellent.

The Ruger Single-Six Hunter also comes with a fine gold bead front and V rear. Moved the One-Ragged-Hole aperture to the rear of that one and it works ok...problem with that setup is no one makes a replacement front blade for the gun... The MKIII Hunters also come with a V notch rear but FO fronts...I just changed the rear to a w/o notch and can align everything fine...

If your S&W 57/.41 has a blade that is pinned to the sight base it can be changed out for a fiber optic front. Mackay Sagebrush has one on a 5" .44 Magnum and it is easy to see...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EdM
I have zero use for any bead or a v-notch rear sight. The best for me gives a Bomar sight picture, flat face square notch rear with black Patridge, 20 degree serrated or just a serrated ramp depending upon the firearms purpose.

That. Tough to beat a Partridge front sight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Count me among those who just don't like the V notch and bead setup on a handgun.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like a gold bead front sight--but not a bead like a shotgun bead, but a flat bead inset into a Patridge blade, coupled with a plain black, wide notch, rear sight.

The shallow "V" sights are a no-go; had them on a Redhawk years ago and they weren't nearly as fast or as accurate as standard sights.

As for reflex sights, I'd stick with the Trijicon RMR's or a Leupold Deltapoint for a slide mounted sight on a centerfire gun. The Burris' may work on a 22lr--emphasis on the "may." I have not been impressed with any of the electronic Burris products.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're having trouble with your standard sight setup, here's some ideas to help out.

Consider changing the color of the red ramp insert. It's an easy job and any gunsmith with even a modicum of talent can do the job in a day. I used to change mine to yellow for many years, and then one day decided I didn't like a colored ramp at all, and started changing to a black insert to match the blade.

Open up the rear sight. Standard sights just leave way too little light coming in on either side of the rear sight. Pretty much every handgun I own gets it's rear sight opened up immediately to allow a generous amount of light in on either side of the front blade. This improves fast sight acquisition yet doesn't seem to harm long range precision to any noticeable degree.

Just some alternatives.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
65BR, I put a Burris Fastfire on my 460 S&W. Still trying to get "really" comfortable with it. My shooting improved considerably, but I'm a little slow getting it into service. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys, IIRC, the one I looked thru years back was on an 8 shot 357 Smith, and looking at it in the gunshop. It seems they are not all that, so thanks for the feedback.

On the Redhawks interchangeable - yes, the blue and green shows well to my eyes, but the yellow as GunGeek suggest was what I once painted on the front of a OMBH 41 shorty, worked well. The rear blade indeed always needs to have generous width to get light on the sides of the front blade to center up.

Good stuff. Will have to check out the RMR and Leu Reflex when I have an opportunity. I think one would be great on a 22, and I would consider on a centerfire.

Thanks much folks.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by EdM

That. Tough to beat a Partridge front sight.

Yep, it is the best for sight picture no doubt. My favorite, which many of mine have, is a serrated 20 degree cant. A bit easier on holsters yet giving a near Patridge view.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Received a revolver several years ago as a gift that has the V notch gold bead front setup. Was not too sure I would like it but decided to give it a chance. It has worked well enough that I have taken antelope, deer, elk, and moose with it. One antelope at what one would consider extended handgun range.
While (like others) I still like the square notch rear patridge front a little better, I hope you won't totally discount the bead/v notch setup. It just might surprise you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I had my Redhawk and hunted with it these were my sights of choice.

[Linked Image]

They looked sharper than my fuzzy camera work portrays. smile

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I like a gold bead front sight--but not a bead like a shotgun bead, but a flat bead inset into a Patridge blade, coupled with a plain black, wide notch, rear sight.

This.

Had the above set up on my 657 mountain gun. Got the tall gold bead front sight from the boys @ Smith & Wesson custom shop. Carried mine in AK, stoked with hot loaded 250 grain hardcast LBT's

Worked great for me then, especially with the light coming from behind me. But I'm 15 years older now & getting into the red dot reflex sights.

Have two currently, the Burris FF 2 and a cheaper brand called Osprey.

I miss that revolver.

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried the sights in Muleshoe's photo, when they first became available for the Redhawk. They are very fast up close but I couldn't hold elevation for squat with them past 40 yards.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting a fairly peppy 44mag, I never found
hold-over much of an issue until beyond 80 or so.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It wasn't a trajectory issue Muleshoe; simply that my eyeballs refused to get along with them.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understood, my peepers tend to drift the other way.
I liked those sights on that gun, not sure if I would on
a Smith though. ?

Black Cows Matter!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.