Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Lotta mojo in the Alaskan from what I could tell, before I acquired it. smile and yessir, 4 in the belly with ease and because it was built on the H&H Mark had me seat out a round to his spec based on the bullets i wanted to run and then send it to him to cut the optimal chamber for the 7 mag. Mark was really great to work with.

Actually ,that would be a good thread title. Probably already been used a few times. I know bobin, handwerk, battue, keystoneben (even though they are both 30-06 laugh..) utah708, GSSP, raybass, Donsm70, gunner and many more have what they consider their perfect pair. I'd love to see everyone's perfect pair and I'm not even a 270 shooter/lover... blush NOTE: I didn't mention winpoor because he has too damn many and far too indecisive, same goes for whitebird. Sorry Cliff whistle ...

That's a great idea BSA BUT I need some parameters such as for
North America including Alaska? Africa? Only two? the horror I used 6 just for deer season:)

Last edited by GSPfan; 01/22/17.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.... I love all of my pre 64's. I'd have a hard time picking which ones for the pair. Although, I did have a perfect trifecta until I sold my 375H&H to Gunner!! I hope he slays some big African animals with that rifle. It would make me proud!! I've been working on fine tuning my collection though. I really do like the idea of having a pair of perfect rifles, and yes it can be done. The OP has shown us a pair that fits that bill quite nicely.. GSPfan, I'm hearing you. I used to like to be able to take out a different rifle every day for my elk hunts. However, my m1917 went with me this year for both deer and elk hunting. That rifle has the most gawdawful mojo on it, so I figured I'd just keep using the dang thing. It fits me like a glove to. Hard to not take it when that happens.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm surprised bobin hasn't responded to this thread. He must be ice fishing or something...

Penrod? Simillion? Not much left to say..... smile

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just can't use the same rifle every day it's not fair to the rest of them:) I'm going on a 3 day Quail hunt next week with 6 shotguns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I just can't use the same rifle every day it's not fair to the rest of them:) I'm going on a 3 day Quail hunt next week with 6 shotguns.

laugh . I love that!! Made me laugh... Good luck on your quail hunt..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm surprised bobin hasn't responded to this thread. He must be ice fishing or something...

Penrod? Simillion? Not much left to say..... smile

[Linked Image]

Well, it's about damn time.... I don't have any fancy penrods, but the ones I do have would be damn hard to improve on... wink. That's a beautiful classic Bob..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Thanks. .. smile

This one is a pre 64..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/22/17.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now that's a nice rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Thanks. .. smile

This one is a pre 64..

[Linked Image]

That is one of the nicest rifle's I've seen here. I've always liked that one Bob..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GSP/BSA: Thanks. Among my favorites.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Beautifu; walnut Bob, 7Mag or 270?

Trump Won!
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
keystoneben,

Apologies, but I don't have a weight on the 7 mag. I just built it with the ingredients that I thought all seemed right and never have weighed it. Nor do I even have scales to actually weigh it for that matter. It's probably heavier than it should be with the Schmidt, but is certainly handles like a dream. The stock is the kevlar version. The rock barrel is a #4 contour although Mark took the "waves" out of it so it's a hair under. He told me he just couldn't stand putting together a rig with a wavy barrel. smile gotta love a perfectionist. Its not a featherweight, but is trim and swigs like its on bearings. Also puts 180 bergers into a nice tight group and I'm hoping to work up a load with the new 175 Hornady 175 ELD-X's in the spring. It is just about as close to a do it all rig as I could ask for and along with the Alaskan truly is about the perfect pair for me.

I have one or two others that I can always fall back on as RGK can attest but these two will be seeing the majority of the duties for quite some time to come.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gunner: 7 Rem Mag.

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob,

That is a beautiful rig and somehow I suspected you were gonna say something 7MM...

Check out my new website

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mtmn: Thanks. Over the years I found factory 270's easy to assemble,so never built many 270.

Factory 7mm mags always needed fiddling to they saw the bulk of the custom work... smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gunner: 7 Rem Mag.

10-4 Buddy, I should have known! cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow! Beautiful pair of rifles!! I believe you just helped me pick the color for the Legend going on my Alaskan just as soon as I get my hands on one.

I have a P64 338 action, 1B 1-8 Twist Bartlein, Legend (Edge) getting assembled into a 7mm Mashburn Super as I type. Going to have to metal Cerracoated black and the internals Micro Slick'ed. It's a dream gun.

Again, beautiful rifles. Very happy for you! I can't get enough of those P64's.

Semper Fi
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks and yes, I can imagine the 7 MSS will be one heckofa rig. Sounds like it will be very similar to mine when finished. Mine is cerakoted Midnight blue and I asked to have it done with a sheen to simulate the pre-64 finish from the early actions. It doesn't really match, but comes as close as any cerakote finish I've seen to looking like a satin blue. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your Mashburn when it finished.

Check out my new website

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Thanks and yes, I can imagine the 7 MSS will be one heckofa rig. Sounds like it will be very similar to mine when finished. Mine is cerakoted Midnight blue and I asked to have it done with a sheen to simulate the pre-64 finish from the early actions. It doesn't really match, but comes as close as any cerakote finish I've seen to looking like a satin blue. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your Mashburn when it finished.

Thank you, and yes, when I saw your pictures I sorta thought we worked outta the same playlist.

I will ask about the Midnight Blue. That sounds like a good one.. Got me thinking a bit.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So nice to see these rifles together!! What a duo!!! I can't wait to see some hunt reports with the 338, especially!! smile

Eric

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.