Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I bought 2 recurves this morning.
One I previously owned.
Tradtech Pinnacle 2, riser reworked (more centershot, grip thinner, throat deeper, shelf more radiused).
Made it a way better bow.
But it's got TT mediums on it,so is 62".
Sold it to a bud, who sold it to another bud. Was mint when I let it go, not anymore. Refinish coming up!

Other bow is a Korean BW clone, haven't made them for several years. I had one of higher # yrs ago, first in the US (bought at ATA show). 55# it said.......scale said 61 LOL.

This super clean used model is only 40#. New rabbit and maybe turkey bow smile Proly add a GN strap on quiver to tame the lightweight rig down.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still shooting my 1966 Howatt Hunter

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm still shooting my 1997 Mathews Feather Max 27" draw length-60lb. Love this bow, I can't imagine using anything different. It just fits me.
Thanks, Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The archery business is just like any other business. You don't stay alive without sales. If everyone kept on using the old stuff, they'd soon go under. So, they have to push the latest and neatest.
That's not saying that some of the new technology isn't great. I remember when the cams first came out. That was a great improvement over round wheels. Then came the parallel limbs that enabled them to make bows much shorter and more compact. Some new stuff stays around a long time and some soon disappears.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best bow I've ever owned is my 2004 Switchback, I use it regularly and trust my every release when hunting with it.

This is 13 years old, but honestly, I've not used anything better. I also shoot the Elite energy 32. I have that because it's a much higher draw weight. Funny thing, I bought this newer bow because it feels quite a lot like the switchback!

I needed a higher draw weight, for applications that the 60lb switchback did not do well enough. Not because there was anything wrong with the switchback's shoot ability or accuracy. Truth is, I shoot the switchback a bit better at 30 and under and the Elite better and 30-50. Same sights on both. Simply the trajectory being better on the Elite makes the longer shots easier for me. ( I think)

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a Hoyt Ultratec 2003 cam and 1/2 version for 10 years. Loved that bow. In 2013 I picked up a Hoyt Charger - short little budget model. Great bow, loved it - last season traded for a Hoyt Defiant - fancier aluminum bow. Shooting it currently while waiting for a Carbon Defiant.

All decent bows, I shoot them all about the same (440-445 on the Vegas 450 round or 50-55X 300's NFAA BHFS) The lack of hand shock is pretty amazing and my last couple bows all have AMO ratings around 330fps. They are easier than ever to aim and hold, and shoot smooth and quiet. Ten years ago I would never have thought I could shoot a 30" bow as well as my older 38-40" rigs, but it has proven to be true. I can shoot 60# bows that shoot with more force/speed/energy than my old 70# rigs. My current bow shoots 330 AMO the Ultratec was 308 AMO. The Defiant does draw a little stiffer but still very smooth.

A couple weeks ago my local shop had a Hoyt Freestyle (Modern Ultratec) on the rack. First shot I about dropped it on the floor with the recoil - wow, I had totally forgotten what that was like. I spent about a half hour trying to like that bow and finally went back to my Defiant. I have no desire to go back to a longer forward facing limb anymore.

I would suggest giving the Hoyt Powermax a fair shake. I think that after shooting it for a while, going back to your old bow will be disappointing. Or if you are happy with your old rig, just shoot it and be happy.

Last edited by centershot; 01/24/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Hoyt Deviator , I bought one year old in 1999. The first two arrows I shot out of it, I Robin Hooded. I do not consider myself an Archer, just a hunter that uses a bow once in a while. I do not shoot a lot. But this bow is always ON for me. I still use 2413 Easton Aluminum arrows . It has been consistent. I have killed some game with it. It does have a bit of recoil and I know there are way better options out there. I have some damage in My right shoulder that precludes alot of practice. Last year I shot exactly one arrow. The result of that one arrow is a 300" bull I killed at 12 yards. I find little need to upgrade at this point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been shooting the same Indian Stalker 45-55lbs since I received it for my 16th birthday.(37years) Ive had the cable replaced, and modified to accept standard sized bowstrings. But no sights, I have never used a release, just a shooting glove, old does not mean bad.
I have a matching one set for a release, for guests.
Just to see if it could be done, a bent sapling and a bootlace, has killed a small deer. (4pt). The bow is just a tool, the hunter is the weapon. smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
I have been shooting the same Indian Stalker 45-55lbs since I received it for my 16th birthday.(37years) Ive had the cable replaced, and modified to accept standard sized bowstrings. But no sights, I have never used a release, just a shooting glove, old does not mean bad.
Just to see if it could be done, a bent sapling and a bootlace, has killed a small deer. (4pt). The bow is just a tool, the hunter is the weapon. smile
The newer short bows make finger shooting difficult, if not impossible. You need a release but on the other side, the short bow is much handier in brush or in a blind.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kellory
The newer short bows make finger shooting difficult, if not impossible. You need a release but on the other side, the short bow is much handier in brush or in a blind.

Most of the finger shooters that are left, shoot traditional. Good thing is that the used racks and pawn shops are full of old long AtoA bows for cheap.

Last edited by centershot; 01/25/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
There is something to be said for familiarity with a bow... or a rifle or any other tool. If there is no tangible advantage to purchase a new bow or if the advantages are slim I say stay with the bow as it is proven. I actually believe it is better to learn how to use something to it's fullest potential and not change unless the item is unsafe or nearing its life cycle end.

As I get older I find myself influenced to a lesser degree by advertising and the need for the latest and greatest. I was not of this mindset when I was younger and accumulated some pretty nice stuff-but none of this "stuff" made me better woodsman or hunter. In fact probably just the opposite.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While flipping around through Netflix looking for something to watch I ran across The Arrow. I see he's using an Oneida compound bow as his superhero weapon. I haven't seen one of those in the flesh in years. I didn't know they were even still around.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I paid $65 for a Golden Eagle on Fleabay last year.
It appeared to be a 28" (plus or minus 1" per wheel slots).
And being a wood riser Falcon model, probably 60# max.

Looked at one in mid 80's when I shot for a shop that sold them (was running an 80# PSE back then).

Bought it.

Sure enough, it was a 28" and hit 55# at that DL.
Refinished the riser. Would be a fun fingers bow, barebow..... but the cable guard mounted at sight window bothers me.

So I gotta make a bracket and do a diff rod lower. The bushing there is on the front. Hell I aint even shot it yet............thought about a NAP Centerest flipper.

But I bought a new 2017 PSE Infinity for release shooting. Cheap. Good enough.

Hopefully I can run my old metal riser Blackwidow and not need wheels. Depends on how my back does.
Might even bowhunt through gun season this year.

The old Falcon is too nice to bowfish with frown

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to get two new bows a year. Latest and greatest.
Indeed they were nice and of some advancement technical wise.
And they did help me elevate my skill set.

But that kinda flattened out in a couple of years.

IMHO one does "arrive".

Nowadays I don't shoot the best. Aged/injured........can't compete. Just shoot for fun, and hunt. Don't need a new Mathews or Bowtech, a $250 rest and a $300 sight.

None of that will help me overcome the wear and tear.

I'd like a new Blackwidow recurve though, but even there....I'm not a $1300 shooter, so don't need a $1300 bow.
Am almost content to run my $300 used old metal riser Widow.
Thought they were cool as a kid, got one.....it's not slow, it's not fast....cool bow that shoots pretty decent for me.

I'd like a 58" HS. Should kept my old one (but it was 60#).
If 55# I'd not have turned it loose.

Prefer 58" recurves. But a 56" 44# Blackwidow PCH might be cool.

Eh, if I can't kill it with my '72 HF1225.........can't kill it with anything else.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Release..........funky first time I tried one.
Didn't take long to destroy arrows at distance.

Ran a Fletchunter for years. The newer "shorty" wrist strap model is my fave.

Got a buddy to shoot one, we went to a shop/3D range and the owner blew us crap. Wasn't of the newer caliper designs yadda yadda.

Had him try it. His jaw hit the floor and he ordered some to sell. That yr.......my buddy won the IBO triple crown shooting a Fletchunter.

LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 02/08/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure how old my bow is, I shot an elk with it in 2004, it's a hoyt ultra-tec with versa cam.

I've browsed new bows and not fell in love, will try again this year. Last year my wife bought a new bow, she got a new PSE and it's amazing how quiet and fast that bow is. She shoots it better than she's shot any of her others.

The one thing I've noticed is I couldn't get a fall away rest to work well consistently on my older bow, not sure why. Went back to my older style but it has a spring inside it to pop the rest back up after the shot, I am worried about the day that that OLD spring just gives up.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have shot a Switchback XT for 11 years. These are one of the most Iconic of Mathews selections and seem to have a pretty loyal following. I lucked into another Switchback XT in pristine condition and will be setting that one up later this spring.

I have a range in my basement and am lucky enough to enjoy shooting year round.

John

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I noticed the local sports shop has a late 90s version of a Hoyt Stryker hanging in their used bow section. It was marked 165.00 ,it is now marked 80 bucks. I am started to get interested. the draw length/poundage sticker is missing. But ..........It sure would go nice with my Deviator of the same vintage. They shot smooth and have a pretty decent brace height.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 1990 I bought a Jennings Carbon Extreem, at that time it was the fastes now on the market. Then I was going on a sheep hunt in 2011 at a private club in Santa Clara County. So I go down to the range in Santa Cruz to practice. I was practicing at 40 yards and you could see the arc as my arrows we're going to the target. But the guy to my right and the guy to my left had newer bows. Wow we're they fast.

So I bought a new bow a PSE Evo. On the third day of the hunt I got my Ram. I shot it at 20 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I add to my stringed weapons, it will likely be this... https://www.goprimalnow.com/shop/ar...bows/compact-folding-takedown-bow-50-lb/

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.