-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's it. Thanks. Bilious green -- I remember that now.

As to the OP, I wouldn't hesitate for PG and the 150-gr NP would work well.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

Another true story: A few years ago an older friend from Montana was going on his long dreamed-of African hunt, planning to take the standard selection of plains game, including kudu, blue wilderbeest and gemsbok. He asked if the .270 he'd used in Montana for many years on everything from antelope to elk was enough, or if he needed a bigger rifle. I said the .270 would work great, with good bullets, specifically suggesting either Barnes TTSX's or 150 Partitions.
When he came back he insisted on buying me and Eileen dinner as thanks, because his .270 had worked so well, and due to not having to buy another rifle he could also afford another animal over there.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what bullet he used, but have seen both work fine over there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few years ago an older friend from Montana...

Till I got to the part about the .270, I thought for sure you were talking about that old fellow from Montana, Ingwe. Didn't he do a "Texas Brain Shot" on a zebra with a NP?

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hi there RM.

John, I believe it. I believe Hemingway used an '06 on lion which would probably not be in anybody's top ten picks now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
He also used his .30-06 on black rhino.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Hi there RM.

John, I believe it. I believe Hemingway used an '06 on lion which would probably not be in anybody's top ten picks now.

Howdy.

I'm slogging through Roosevelt's account of his safari right now, and with the exception of the big double he carried, I'm not sure that anyone today would consider either his .30-06 or .405 as in the top ten for most of the game he and Kermit took with them.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's right. Pretty amazing safari at three months long, I don't know how many porters anymore or other support, and at such a tidy some of only $80k. You could drop that in two weeks now on just an ele and lion hunt.

I may have to read that book again though it is a slog; that safari was a slog.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Back to the OP--

I agree with the preponderance of advice that a tried and true .270 would be an excellent choice. In terms of bullet choice, I would be torn between two different strategies. I think a 130 mono (like a TTSX) could be great. But I might also think the 160 grain Nosler Partition would be dandy. Probably the topography/vegetation would make my choice for me--if he is going somewhere open with shots in the 200 yd+ range, then I would go light and fast. Otherwise the predictable expansion and penetration of the Partition could make more sense.

Also tell him to spend some time with Robertson's book "The Perfect Shot."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the 1957 Gun Digest, for a light rifle, (for Africa) Jack O'Connor recommends a 300 H&H, 300 Weathery Magnum, 30/06, 300 Savage, 308 Winchester and a 270 Winchester.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite the spread, 300 Savage to 300 Wea Mag.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our own Hatari has taken quite a few animals with a Savage 99 in 300.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have hunted Africa with my own rifles in 270, 30-06, 338 and 416. Depending on game they all worked great. The 270 would have been "enough gun" for at least 90% of the species hunted.
That said, I no longer haul firearms overseas. The hassle and expense is simply not worth it. Many PH's will only charge you for the ammo, some will rent suitable rifles. By the time you pay excess baggage fees, firearms permit charges, handling fees, ammo taxes etc., it is not the best route to take IMO. If you want to sight-see where are your guns? Who has access? Hotel security? Many outfitters and PHs have excellent arms. My experiences with this policy include Africa, New Zealand, Argentina, Scotland and England and I used some of the finest, even custom firearms I can only dream of owning. JM2C

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Our own Hatari has taken quite a few animals with a Savage 99 in 300.

I can reassure all that the .300 Savage in the Model 99 will perform quite well on all things from springbok to bush buck to black wildebest to zebra. Remember, the .300 Savage has the same external ballistics that the 30-06 had when TR went to Africa, but with the advantage of Tsx and Ttsx bullets. I used 150gr TSXs with good result

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
I have hunted Africa with my own rifles in 270, 30-06, 338 and 416. Depending on game they all worked great. The 270 would have been "enough gun" for at least 90% of the species hunted.
That said, I no longer haul firearms overseas. The hassle and expense is simply not worth it. Many PH's will only charge you for the ammo, some will rent suitable rifles. By the time you pay excess baggage fees, firearms permit charges, handling fees, ammo taxes etc., it is not the best route to take IMO. If you want to sight-see where are your guns? Who has access? Hotel security? Many outfitters and PHs have excellent arms. My experiences with this policy include Africa, New Zealand, Argentina, Scotland and England and I used some of the finest, even custom firearms I can only dream of owning. JM2C

While a lot of my pleasure is in developing my own loads in my own rifles and then hunting with them, this is the way I'd also go in the future.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
While my trip to RSA was painless, I can appreciate how that would make a trip easier, especially if you have other items on the agenda. However, I can't fathom not hunting with my rifle. The character of a rifle is built by the times together in the field and I'd never be able to miss that opportunity to hunt with my rifle.

Last edited by prm; 01/25/17.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The .270 with a 150gr bullet should do just fine for any plains game less than 1000lbs. I would go with a Swift A-frame or similar bullet. JMO.

BH63

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by prm
However, I can't fathom not hunting with my rifle. The character of a rifle is built by the times together in the field and I'd never be able to miss that opportunity to hunt with my rifle.

My thoughts exactly!

Holding your rifle and remembering the game you killed with it, is almost as good as having a shoulder mount IMO.

BH63

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used a 270 on lots of plains game in RSA, Namibia, and Zim. More than most here are willing to believe. Used it on 15+ trips. Used a 280 on three trips and a 7RM on three trips.

I have used lots of the 130 TTSX. I have used a few 160 Partitions and am going to use 150 Partitions this year. Those are my first choices.

Most shooting is 75-150 yards and never over 250. However, most shots are not broadside so penetration is important.

I have been with lots of first and second timers who use bigger guns but have less success cause they can't "shoot straight". Practice with the 270 and don't worry.

I have concluded that the perfect big game battery for 99% of hunting is ONE 270. If buffalo or brown bears in the alders are hunted then go 375 maybe 416. Same for lions. Grizzly bears in tundra, 270.

You can spend lots of $$'s dragging a 270 around the planet.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
270 with 130 handloads, My son took his, 3 shots three animals from duiker to zebra.

However, as always, tell your friend to ask his PH!

I love the 243, I know a PH who abhors it!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of my friends took his wife on her first safari a couple of years ago--actually her first big game hunt. Her rifle was a .243 Winchester loaded with 85-grain Nosler Partitions, and three shots later she had an impala, gemsbok and blue wildebeest.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.