Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Same atmosphere that creates meteorites, melts tips, under certain conditions. Friction between air and object's surface.

It's also the reason that Santa can't exist, scientifically, even if he had the power to travel fast enough to get around the world in one night.

Sorry, Defalve.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was flyin' along one day nosing around in other folks bidness when one of them poked a couple holes in my chopper. One of the bullets took out the radio wire bundle in the nose, then punched a hole thru the right rudder pedal. Wound up spinning on the cockpit floor like an angry little bee. Picked it up when it settled down and it was just a little north of warm, but nothing I couldn't tolerate. Came from an AK, so the velocity wasn't great, and the range was short. They do warm up, but I don't know Hornady's claim to be valid or not. Barrel friction, aerodynamic friction...I dunno.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I've found the green tips from Balistic Tips in the backstop.

I found the same, but odd-shaped, in patty sausage. Seems it went thru the grinder and ended up there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Hornady would have been better off not explaining schit and just changing the tips.

Then the internet wouldn't have exploded with all the closet rocket scientists.

Dave

Well Hornady does love to poke Nosler in the eye from time to time.

Add to that Hornady can now start to charge close to VLD prices for the improved bullets.

Getting poly tipped bullets to run at time of flights exceeding a full second is a good thing for LR competition as it adds options.

Lil Fish seems infatuated by the ELDs and ELD-Xs even though he will never actually shoot anything beyond the reach of a good ol Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Good for the industry. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watch the video and see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tseYJUvHA

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer
This topic came up in a discussion elsewhere today. I'm curious about your thoughts. Hornady says they melt downrange. http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-X My personal experience collection ballistic tips from the entrance side of wound channels and various target media disagrees with this to a degree. What say you?

I doubt you could detect the level of deformation they claim occurs by looking at a bullet you just pumped into an ungulate.

Dave

In the initial discussion from whence this question arises, it descended into claims that the tip completely melts away leaving only the hollowpoint bullet.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
In this thread we find out who has shot poly tipped bullets at long range and who has not. shocked

Yes the tips melt but it takes a G1 BC over .500 and a muzzle velocity over 3000fps and a time of flight over .8 seconds, give or take.

Not really a factor for most hunters but the effect is real and been understood for years by those who tend to shoot a bit at extended distance.

Thanks, John. I don't shoot within the parameters which you outline above. Which would explain the differences in experience. From the videos you've posted over the years, you're slinging lead significantly farther than even have the opportunity to do.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It doesn't melt away it just becomes altered and that results in the projectile's BC changing as it gets further downrange.

Not an issue for most folks but their V and A Max lines are marketed toward precision so I have no issue with them changing things up.

I don't think the ELD's are much more expensive regardless. But I've yet to bulk order any so I could be wrong.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fubarski

It's also the reason that Santa can't exist

Eat schit and die.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hornady would have been better off not explaining schit and just changing the tips.

Dave

Add to that Hornady can now start to charge close to VLD prices for the improved bullets.

Getting poly tipped bullets to run at time of flights exceeding a full second is a good thing for LR competition as it adds options.

Lil Fish seems infatuated by the ELDs and ELD-Xs even though he will never actually shoot anything beyond the reach of a good ol Nosler Ballistic Tip.

You're gay.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
High speed camera at target distance would settle this pretty quick.

I think math already answered the question.

Travis

Math is hard. Video is ea...Squirrel!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave

I tried some 162 ELD-X in my 7mm-08, which has a 1 in 9" PacNor barrel. Meh, it likes ballistic tips a lot better. I have some .30 cal 200's, I guess we'll see if the RUM likes them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dave

You're gay.

Dave

LOL. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
In this thread we find out who has shot poly tipped bullets at long range and who has not. shocked

Yes the tips melt but it takes a G1 BC over .500 and a muzzle velocity over 3000fps and a time of flight over .8 seconds, give or take.

Not really a factor for most hunters but the effect is real and been understood for years by those who tend to shoot a bit at extended distance.

Thanks, John. I don't shoot within the parameters which you outline above. Which would explain the differences in experience. From the videos you've posted over the years, you're slinging lead significantly farther than even have the opportunity to do.

Most all game shooting it's a moot point.

The increased interest in PRS type shooting and LR game shooting has found that poly tips need a bit of toughing up when really stretching thing.

Options are good and for most the standard poly tips work fine as far as flight characteristics.

Now the fact poly tipped open a bit fast is a whole different discussion. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who's the press secretary?!? Josh or Jay?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Dave

I tried some 162 ELD-X in my 7mm-08, which has a 1 in 9" PacNor barrel. Meh, it likes ballistic tips a lot better. I have some .30 cal 200's, I guess we'll see if the RUM likes them.

BTs have a much blunter tangent ogive which is more forgiving of throat geometry.

162 ELD_Xs won't have a problem in a 9 twist but won't tolerate an off center or overly blunt throat as well as the tangent ogive of the BT.

If the BTs are working well then take yes for and answer and rock on. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just looking at Graf and Son's web site, to place an order...

Hornady is changing all sorts of stuff... a 73 grain ELX instead of a 75 A Max... plus there is a big 'sale' on 80 grain A Maxes....and they are 'out of stock' on an 80 EL something...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Melting depends on muzzle velocity.

The race cars may have to worry. Under 3300-3400 fps, not so much.

I remember when the 17 Remington came out. They claimed the lead would melt and remain molten in the metal jacket until impact.
Even today, ya better choose wisely on bullet choice when loading for the .17R.. I've had a couple come apart in the air maybe 20 feet from the muzzle when I first started reloading for it.. The G-forces from spinning a bullet at 4,000 fps MUST be unreal...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
which bullet was coming unglued?

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
which bullet was coming unglued?

Dave
Honestly wish I could remember exactly - but I think they were Hornady HPs.. I found a box from '98 that I had loaded.. The rest are all V-Max and seem to be ok..

Thought it might have been some Sierras, but that's not the case..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 78 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.