Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No more zoning out and relaxing for the first few hours of a race. Now you'll need a calculator, pen and paper to figure out what's going on.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NASCAR is making sweeping changes to the formats of races in 2017 and adding more bonus points to the Chase (which is no longer called the Chase, but more on that later) for drivers who succeed in the regular season.

The changes are a bit complicated, so stick with us:

Every Cup Series, Xfinity Series and Camping World Truck Series race will consist of three segments called “stages.” The drivers who finish in the top 10 of each of the first two segments will receive points while the finishing order at the end of the third and final stage will be the race’s finishing order. The winner of the third segment is the race winner and will get 40 points.

Oh, the word “Chase” to describe the final 10 races of the Cup Series season is gone, too. We’ve got to learn to stop using it. In its place is simply “Playoffs,” a term that will also be used to describe the elimination-style Chase format in the Xfinity and Truck Series.

Each regular-season race win will be worth five bonus points to start the playoffs. In 2016, drivers got three points at the beginning of the Chase for each win in the regular season. A segment win will be worth one Playoff bonus point.

The first segment will be the first 25 percent of the race while the second segment will be the second 25 percent. Each segment will end with a caution flag. The cautions will give the races predetermined breaks in the action to help Fox and NBC air as many commercials as possible under yellow flag conditions.

Bonus points are also handed out for the drivers in the top 10 in the points standings at the end of the regular season. The driver who is leading the points standings at the end of the first 26 races in the Cup Series will receive 15 points while the other drivers in the top 10 will also receive bonus points for the Chase.

And, most importantly, those bonus points will carry over into the first three rounds of the playoffs. In the old format, the bonus points disappeared after the first round and the 12 drivers remaining in the second round all started with the same points total.

Yeah, this is pretty complicated. There’s definitely going to be a learning curve for hardcore and casual race fans as the new format is implemented throughout the season.

• The winner of a segment receives 10 points while the driver in 10th receives a point. The driver who wins a race receives 40 points, while second receives 35 points and third receives 34. The driver finishing 35th gets two points while those finishing 36th-40th each get a single point.

This means that if a driver wins both segments and the race, he receives 60 points. There are no longer bonus points for leading a lap and leading the most laps.

• While the driver who finishes at the top of the regular season standings gets 15 points, second gets 10 points, third gets eight, fourth gets seventh and so on through 10th place. If a driver, say, Jimmie Johnson, wins four races in the regular season (5 points each), wins 15 segments (1 point each) and finishes the regular season third in the points standings, he’ll start the Chase with 43 bonus points.

Those 43 points will be added to Johnson’s point total at the beginning of the second and third rounds if he advances. If he wins a race in the first round of the playoffs to guarantee his advancement into the second round, he’ll have another five points tacked on to his total. So he’d start the second round with 48 bonus points while a driver who might have finished the regular season outside the top 10 in points and didn’t win a race or a segment could start the second round with no bonus points.

• The format of the Chase – again, now known as the playoffs – is otherwise unchanged. Sixteen drivers will make the playoffs. All drivers with a win in the first 26 races will be included and the other spots will be filled by the drivers with the most points. Twelve drivers will advance to the second round of the Chase and eight will advance to the third round. Four drivers will move on from the third round of the Chase to the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, where the highest finisher of the four wins the championship.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/n...-bonus-points-in-playoffs-234955970.html

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
NASCAR lost its way a long time ago, this won't help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Juniors back.

I quit watching when he was out.

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Me to.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
since nascar was supposed to be the
common man's answer to formula one
type racing, and hasn't been for quite
some time, they should rescind all the
rules regarding cubic inch displacement,
tire width limit, natural aspiration,
etc. and let the cars run as much
horsepower as can be put on the ground.
multiple stage turbos, superchargers,
nitrous oxide, fuel injection, anything
goes, even multiple engines. since no
common man could afford to field a car
these days anyway, let the rich car owners
build whatever the can put on the track
with no limits on performance

Last edited by Ranger99; 01/23/17.
IC B2

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Or they could just give 5 bonus points to whoever fights after a race. Add an extra 2 points if the pit crews get involved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Golf excites me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, there' always wrassling.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Well, there' always wrassling.

nascar only needs the cage matches to be wrasslin'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No reason to remember all that, it will change several times during the year.
Kid France will keep playing with the toys daddy left him until he breaks all of them.
This looks to be a good time to let NASCAR go.
I need to do more Sunday fishing anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tracks
No reason to remember all that, it will change several times during the year.
Kid France will keep playing with the toys daddy left him until he breaks all of them.
This looks to be a good time to let NASCAR go.
I need to do more Sunday fishing anyway.

Agreed

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe when Trump is done in the Whitehouse he can take over Nascar and MNGA!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They want to be like the ball sports, and attract those who follow such. They will never get the bassetball people, and they have lost me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Who cares?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
NASCAR can't compete with the NFL. The chase was the little Brian's attempt to compete with football. If it was a true playoff the teams that didn't get in would be done for the year.

I grew up listening to it every Sunday when there were real drivers Petty, Pearson, Cale, Baker, Allison. It was a big to us when it started being shown on TV. Most of the drivers now are little sanitized corporate spokesmen, no real personalities you can ever see.

Shorten the season and drop the chase. Reward winning with a big point differential from the rest of the field. Let the guys beat bang and fight when needed. Finally take off the damn restrictor plates! Ratings and attendance would come back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to watch most races, and I couldn't watch, I'd keep up with it on the radio. But, two things happened....Bill Elliot, my favorite driver, retired and they started the stupid Chase thing. It's not the same, the drivers who made NASCAR what it is, are no longer racing, either having retired or passed away. There were once some great stories out there concerning the drivers and the way they made it to the big time. I started following Elliot because of how he started out as a small family operation, and drove Fords....back during a time period when a Ford car actually used a Ford engine, not like todays race cars are. I had a neighbor who drove to Dawsonville, Georgia, where the Elliot operation was, walked into their facility, and talked to them. You couldn't do that today. Anymore, I never watch a race, only read the results afterwards, and do not miss it one bit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NASCAR lost me a long time ago. I really don't enjoy watching it anymore. Too long to sit in front of the TV and watch a bunch of whiners ride around under a caution flag for 2/3 of the so called race.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It would be great to give bonus points to any one who can stay out of the way of that dumb Biotch patrick whoever!! otherwise my give a $hit bucket is overfull!!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
More of those guys need to aspire to be like Smoke, Stenhouse, Kyle Larson etc. etc. Put em' in sprint cars and then find out who can REALLY drive.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Where Dale when you need him

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.