Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are hundreds of trapping videos. The youtube rules are they have to shoot the animal in the trap with the camera turned off and refer to it as dispatch.

This is just a random video from Northern Canada.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a long time professional trapper in the Northwest Territory. His name is "Andrew," and he has many different trapping videos up.

Warning: If coarse language offends you, better avoid Andrew's videos. As he says, he is Metis and that's how the Metis talk in Canada. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have watched all of Andrew's videos, some more than once.

The best part is when he sniffs the lure and starts coughing and cursing at 3:56 in the episode you linked above.

In this one at 12:00 he explains fur prices from the CA gov.

Polar bear $2200
Wolf
Beaver

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ClarkM, yes, I've watched all of Andrew's videos too, over the years he has been posting. Lots of good info there about not only trapping, but being out in the far north woods in some very harsh weather while depending only on himself.

I also enjoy the videos where Charlie Dog, Andrew's "beaver retriever" is prancing around or actually at work.

Great videos.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Trapping world, Dave, smacks wolves on the head

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't bother with youtube trapping videos....too much junk to sift through.

If the policy is to not show dispatch, I think that is great for trappers. Discretion is the better part of valor.

I have bought close to 100 trapping DVDs. They are expensive but the knowledge gained is priceless. About 1/4 are junk, 1/2 are OK, and the top 25% will shave years of trial and error off the learning curve for a newby and well worth the money even for an experienced trapper.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by readonly
I don't bother with youtube trapping videos....too much junk to sift through.

If the policy is to not show dispatch, I think that is great for trappers. Discretion is the better part of valor.

I have bought close to 100 trapping DVDs. They are expensive but the knowledge gained is priceless. About 1/4 are junk, 1/2 are OK, and the top 25% will shave years of trial and error off the learning curve for a newby and well worth the money even for an experienced trapper.

Readonly, can you recommend some coyote trapping DVD's? I haven't trapped, except the occasional coon in the hen house, and would like to work on the resident coyote population.

Thanks

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now having watched every trapping video, I do a "trapping" search and limit my search to "today".

Where I live in the big city, houses cost more than $1M. The most common job is attorney. A parking spot is $250/month.

There are really smart guys in small towns getting $14 for a coon pelt.

Watching trapping videos is like having a camera on a different planet with no traffic, in touch with nature, and smart guys struggle to make a living.

I got a mouse in my shop last month. I am trying to stay in touch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.