Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All,

I Need Help Identifying the Maker of this Custom Rifle.

Maybe someone will recognize the checkering style. Your comments would be welcome.

According to the Family, it was custom made for Reynold H Rusch - He was from Minocqua, Wisconsin. I was told it was made for him in the 1950's or 60's, perhaps (?) by a Wisconsin Gunsmith.

It was built on a 1930's FN 98 Mauser Action ("Greek Contract" w/ Original Factory Barrel in 8x57 cal.)

Here's the specs:

- Mannlicher Stock of French Walnut w/ Metal Forend Cap
- Shadow Out-Line Roll-Over Cheek Piece
- Buffalo Horn Grip Cap w/ Compass
- Buffalo Horn Butt Plate
- Single Panel Wrap-Around Skip-Line Forend Checkering w/ Fluers
- Two Panel Skip-Line Grip Checkering w/ Fluers
- 13-5/8" LOP - 17-1/2" Barrel - 7-1/4 pounds
- Lyman 57 Rear Sight
- Lyman Ramp Front Sight w/ Brass Bead
- Buehler Low Profile Safety
- Jeweled Bolt
- Custom Turned-Down Bolt Handle
- Checkered Bolt Knob
- Checkered Trigger
- Engraved Screws
- Sling Swivels

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
more pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
more pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't have any idea on who the builder might be, but it's a beautiful rifle.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did you look under the butt plate?Did you take the barreled action out f the stock?Eagle River was the home to few Custom Rifle builders.I will try and jog my memory.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lots of compasses used back then. Everyone getting lost?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
Did you look under the butt plate?Did you take the barreled action out f the stock?Eagle River was the home to few Custom Rifle builders.I will try and jog my memory.

Nothing in the barrel channel ....

Yes, please let me know if you remember any of the Customers Gun Builders in that area.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We're all Biesen's rifles marked?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello hanco,

I don't know if all were marked. I wish I could find an example of similar checkering.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The maker is out of my jurisdiction, but that is a sweet looking firearm!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess would be a metalsmith and stockmaker, Emil J.Koshollek from Stevens Point, Wisconsin if you are indicating an era of 1950-1960s.

For many years Alvin Linden used Koshollek grip caps and buttplates on his gun stocks.

I became interested in Koshollek when I purchased a pre-64 Model 70 that started out as a .270 Win but re-barreled to a 7x57 with a Buhmiller barrel. He did some work on the action and trigger, but other than free floating the barrel, the stock was original. I would have the rifle today but I lent it to my brother and it got destroyed in a house fire.

For a little background on Koshollek, Ludwig Olson did an article on him in Rifle Magazine #124 July-August 1989.

Beautiful rifle!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello roundoak,

Thanks for the reply.

I have several Custom Rifles built by Leonard Mews that have Koshollek parts on them.

I also have that 1989 Rifle magazine article. I have seen Emil's metal work, but have not seen examples of his stock making or checkering. Did your rifle have similar checkering?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, the checkering was original Model 70. Stock barrel channel was modified for free float.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm hoping that someone here recognises the checkering style to help identify the maker.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
My guess would be a metalsmith and stockmaker, Emil J.Koshollek from Stevens Point, Wisconsin if you are indicating an era of 1950-1960s.

I think a couple things might legislate against this being Emil Koshollek's work. The stock style, with roll-over comb likely post dates any style that Emil created. Secondly, a gun built by Emil would surely have included some of his metal work.....which in his latter years he almost exclusively concentrated on.

Emil did not like checkering, and in fact would likely have been happy to continue in metal rather than wood had his brother Alois lived longer. They collaborated on gunmaking for many years.....with Alois doing the stockwork. They also patented a few gun parts including a bullet design.

There were several Wisconsin gunmakers who worked in the shadow of Linden, Kosholleks, Biesen, Fashingbauer, Mews, etc.... They did good work, but didn't rise to the national reputation of those above. Buckstix, I think a good exercise would be to compare this gun's checkering with your Mews stocks. Leonard was an excellent checker. It might give you a feel for the level gunmaker you're looking for.

The late Michael Petrov had some familiarity with the Koshellek, and I had a very early example.....which my brother still has. Here's a link to an old thread of Michael's.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=197311&PHPSESSID=

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello GrandView,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree. I didn't really think it was Emil's work. I've seen those examples on Michael's posts, and they don't look anything like this rifle.

I have over a dozen rifles done by Leonard Mews and one by Fahingbauser, and their quality of checkering is superior to that on this rifle. But, I've learned to never-say-never. I used to say; "if you think the rifle is by Mews, examine the the checkering closely. Look for a mistake - if you find a single one - its NOT by Mews."

However, I recently acquired a Winchester model 69-A that had a factory stock that was reshaped and checkered. It looked like it was done by Mews. But, when I looked closely, I found a couple of hand-wiggle mistakes, so I deamed it not to be Leonard's work.

When I removed the action from the stock, all I found was a name and a 1981 date. I recognized the name. I had purchased a Mews rifle from this man in the past and I knew him to be a friend to Leonard. So, I kept on looking. When I took the butt Plate off, there was the Mews Name Stamp.

Since Leonard Mews was 72 in 1981, and he didn't do any commercial business anymore, it is likely that he did this "face-lift" as a favor to his friend. So, I guess at age 72 one might have a little wiggle in the work.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by buckstix

However, I recently acquired a Winchester model 69-A that had a factory stock that was reshaped and checkered. It looked like it was done by Mews. But, when I looked closely, I found a couple of hand-wiggle mistakes, so I deamed it not to be Leonard's work.

When I removed the action from the stock, all I found was a name and a 1981 date. I recognized the name. I had purchased a Mews rifle from this man in the past and I knew him to be a friend to Leonard. So, I kept on looking. When I took the butt Plate off, there was the Mews Name Stamp.

Since Leonard Mews was 72 in 1981, and he didn't do any commercial business anymore, it is likely that he did this "face-lift" as a favor to his friend. So, I guess at age 72 one might have a little wiggle in the work.

Good story. Wasn't there some positional placement of his stamp that Leonard would differentiate between work done wholly by himself, and that of an enhancement? Seems I read that somewhere.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello GrandView,

Yes, typically if Leonard made the entire stock from scratch, he would stamp it in the barrel channel. If someone else made the stock, (or it was a factory stock) that he only checkered, then he stamped it under the butt plate.

In this case, I didn't know for sure it was a reshaped factory stock until after I removed the action.

Here is that Winchester 69-A

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by buckstix; 01/23/17.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Your stock's shape and checkering pattern looks to me like something direct from the Herter's catalog of the 50's.

Remember they were in Waseca, Minnesota. Close to you. I think that you could send your barrled action to them and have them stock it. From the way they did things the action's owner sent it to them in 1950, and got his rifle back in 1960.

Perhaps someone with an old catalog from Herters can chime in. I spent hours in my youth slobbering over their catalog as a very young gun buff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello swarf,

Thanks for the reply.

Its not a Herter's stock. I have several old catalogs and there's nothing like it.

The family remembers the rifle being built (complete) by a gunsmith, most likely from Wisconsin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.