Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Most likely, they would simply drop it altogether. There's enough Win70s in the world already, to keep us all happy 'til we're dead and gone.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
now there's a sobering thought!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The "open" trigger is the main drawing point of the Win70 platform that sets it apart clearly from others outside of the Mauser 98.

Once the "open" trigger design is gone, then the Win is not better/worse than a lot of other guns.

For me, I would look straight to the MkII/Hawkeye Rugers if I couldn't have the "open" trigger of the earlier Winnys.

Montana Rifle Company current production trigger is below. Is this the open trigger design you mention?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot the M 70 since I got my first new one in 1957 and I still shoot it. I have a battery of the pre 64's including a 358 & 375.

The post 64 M70 did not impress me and now I trying customs, the Kimbers, and Brno 21s & 22.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jeffbird
The "open" trigger is the main drawing point of the Win70 platform that sets it apart clearly from others outside of the Mauser 98.

Once the "open" trigger design is gone, then the Win is not better/worse than a lot of other guns.

For me, I would look straight to the MkII/Hawkeye Rugers if I couldn't have the "open" trigger of the earlier Winnys.

Montana Rifle Company current production trigger is below. Is this the open trigger design you mention?

[Linked Image]

I'll cut in - yes, this is the open trigger design discussed above.

I'll also add that the Ruger M77 MkII may be the finest action out there yet: True Mauser feeding/extraction, extractor doesn't bisect the left locking lug, elegantly simple and foolproof safety that holds the striker back, open trigger design that can be worked down safely to a crisp let off below 3#, integral scope bases on receiver, steel trigger guard. Handles escaping gas from a case rupture very well.

The masses never embraced this rifle, but history will shine on it I believe.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the pre-64 especially the Westerners. The one I have all shoot really well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I had held on to my Ruger MkII's. I'm sure some of the others here at the fire feel the same way about their Pre64 M70s! frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]

I'll also add that the Ruger M77 MkII may be the finest action out there yet: True Mauser feeding/extraction, extractor doesn't bisect the left locking lug, elegantly simple and foolproof safety that holds the striker back, open trigger design that can be worked down safely to a crisp let off below 3#, integral scope bases on receiver, steel trigger guard. Handles escaping gas from a case rupture very well.

That's about how I see it as well. A hundred years from now, I think all the Ruger MKII/Hawkeyes will still be working just fine.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the older ones myself.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How can you tell when and where a M70 was made? I've thought a featherweight should be in my arsenal, but they have made it rather confusing and I've not taken the time to sort out what are the good vs. not as good years/locations.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I'm assuming you can identify a pre64 FWT

If it's a push feed, it was made in the 80s

If it's CRF, and the serial number starts with "G", it was made in New Haven in the 90s or up to 2006

If it's serial number starts with 35, followed by 3 letters, it's a FN made rifle

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]

I agree with this 100%. I couldn't ask a better bolt/trigger/safety set-up than my Ruger MKII rifles. These and my Sako Finnbear from the early 60's, now, that's the cat's ass right there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I have a BACO M-70 Featherweight 308 made in 2008 that was very accurate right out of the box. I installed an Ernie's spring and now the trigger pull is 2 3/4#. Wood is not spectacular but fit and finish is good. Action is smooth and it feeds rounds without a hitch. Last NH M-70 I had was purchased in 1992. It was a POS. Soured me on Winchesters for a long time. I was happy when NH went Tango Uniform and they started making them in SC. I don't mind the MOA trigger at all. I'm tempted to buy an Extreme Weather even if they are assembled in Portugal.

What is this Ernie's spring you speak of?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

"What is this Ernie's spring you speak of?"

Google is your friend.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by southtexas

That link is stale when I click it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by boliep

"What is this Ernie's spring you speak of?"

Google is your friend.

or I can ask someone here who actually uses one.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well,if that link to Ernie the Gunsmith worked you'd see where to buy the spring I mentioned. I hope he isn't out of business. Basically, he sells lighter than factory springs. I put one in my M-70 and got down to 2 3/4#. That's about as light as I want on a hunting rifle. I think it would go lower but I quit at that weight.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Link to Ernie's spring seems to work now.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i170.html

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Post 64 NH Classics are the best of the best as to M70's in general... except maybe for the pre-war's thru 53' or shortly after.

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.