Print Thread
Hop To
G
G23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have an older friend who is looking for a way to reduce the recoil from his pump shotgun he uses for waterfowl. He doesn't want to use an automatic so that option is out. We've discussed barrel porting and adding weight in the stock. Any other options?

G23

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by G23
I have an older friend who is looking for a way to reduce the recoil from his pump shotgun he uses for waterfowl. He doesn't want to use an automatic so that option is out. We've discussed barrel porting and adding weight in the stock. Any other options?

G23

Lighter loaded ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put on a softer recoil pad, lighter loads or a better fitting stock.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stock fit is critical to felt recoil and most pumps can be shimmed between action and stock to change both the way the gun fits and by extension the way it recoils. A piece of credit card stock on the outside edge of the action will dramatically reduce cheek slapping and hammering.

After getting the stock right replace the shim with epoxy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by G23

G23
Pachmayr Triple Magnum pads can really soften it up.. Should be room in the buttstock to install a mercury reducer too.

Get him away from 3-3.5" shells too.. Simply not needed for most waterfowl..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What he said ^^^

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All the above suggestions will help, I will add a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Has anyone ever tried lengthening & polishing the forcing cone? It's done on all trap & sporting clays guns. I think the best way to describe how it helps is that it lengthens the recoil impulse, making it less sharp and the result is less felt recoil.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone ever tried lengthening & polishing the forcing cone?

The effects on recoil are negligible since your talking time differences measured in microseconds.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The effect can be felt, however.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Pachmayr Triple Magnum pads can really soften it up.. Should be room in the buttstock to install a mercury reducer too.

Get him away from 3-3.5" shells too.. Simply not needed for most waterfowl..

This. Mount is important too but you're probably not going to be able to change that if it's a problem though maybe a cheek pad or pull length adjust. Seems to be some controversy on the effectiveness of mercury recoil reducers. Bought one for my Benelli Nova and 3" shells feel like 2-3/4 field loads TO ME. Changes weight and balance but this is waterfowl hunting. Don't think I'd want it (or 3" shells) for upland.

If I ever need it that ISIS system at battue's link to PMS Firearms looks very interesting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Lighter loads. Period.

I live in an area where waterfowling is King, and I haven't fired a 3", let alone 3 1/2", shell in over 20 years having killed more than my share of ducks and geese. My go-to load for the last 15 years is 1 1/8oz. of #2 Bismuth/ITX/Nice Shot at 1200fps- think of it as a light field/heavy trap load in terms of recoil. Likewise for turkeys- 1 1/4oz. lead 6's at 1150 fps. Everyone of my buddies who made the switch to my loads report increases in kill rates because they aren't flinching anymore.

The myth that you need heavy kicking ammo for anything is just that- a myth, propagated by the good folks who want to sell you expensive ammo.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/24/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Lighter loads. Period.

I live in an area where waterfowling is King, and I haven't fired a 3", let alone 3 1/2", shell in over 20 years having killed more than my share of ducks and geese. My go-to load for the last 15 years is 1 1/8oz. of #2 Bismuth/ITX/Nice Shot at 1200fps- think of it as a light field/heavy trap load in terms of recoil. Likewise for turkeys- 1 1/4oz. lead 6's at 1150 fps. Everyone of my buddies who made the switch to my loads report increases in kill rates because they aren't flinching anymore.

The myth that you need heavy kicking ammo for anything is just that- a myth, propagated by the good folks who want to sell you expensive ammo.
Too true...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Where is he feeling the recoil? Is he getting slapped in the face, or getting a sore shoulder and /or headache.

If it's face slap then the first thing to do is look at gun fit. As Sitka suggested, reduce/remove cast by inserting a shim on the right hand side (for a right handed shooter).

Also look at reducing pitch by shiming the bottom of the recoil pad. Try to head towards neutral pitch (the pad at right angles to the barrel). It's probably got down pitch at the moment (put the pad against a wall and you will probably see that the barrel points down).

If it's plain out recoil (sore shoulder, aching neck, headache) then your only real options are increase the weight of the gun or (easiest) reduce the load (see gnoahhh's advice above)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.