Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
Too long to sit in front of the TV and watch a bunch of whiners ride around under a caution flag for 2/3 of the so called race.

This the perfect way to watch a Nascar race.

Watch the first 20 laps. Take a three hour nap. Watch the last 20 laps.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ranger99
since nascar was supposed to be the
common man's answer to formula one
type racing, and hasn't been for quite
some time, they should rescind all the
rules regarding cubic inch displacement,
tire width limit, natural aspiration,
etc. and let the cars run as much
horsepower as can be put on the ground.
multiple stage turbos, superchargers,
nitrous oxide, fuel injection, anything
goes, even multiple engines. since no
common man could afford to field a car
these days anyway, let the rich car owners
build whatever the can put on the track
with no limits on performance

That's something I would actually watch.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Chase, or Playoffs, Universal cars or whatever they call them (sure as hell can't call them stock cars anymore)? They have screwed with it to the point that I don't recognize it anymore or even care to watch. Used to be a big fan; not anymore.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They went for greener pastures and lost their base many years ago. never been the same.

FJB & FJT
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
NASCAR dropped off the minute innovation left the show. It used to be innovation of one manufacturer then another and so on. Ford was dominate in the late 80's early 90's with the new T-bird. Chevy responded with the Monte Carlo. And so on. It's to the point now, if I didn't know the number that goes with the driver, I wouldn't even know what manufacturer the car was. They all look the same.

France has killed the sport. Hell there are only a couple of races on national networks anymore. Most of the races are on obscure cable channels.

The way to bring NASCAR back, is to get back to the roots, of run what ya brung. Until they get back to that, NASCAR racing will continue to face away.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real truth of the matter was that NASCAR was always pretty much a Southern sport, and then they tried to take it nationally. It mainly appealed to those of us who could be referred to as rednecks, hillbillies, moonshiners, good ole country boys, and any other related moniker. Somewhere along the way, the powers-to-be decided that if a little was good, then a lot was better, and they expanded it to go after a nationwide audience. I think the national audience was somewhat limited, and the appeal just wasn't what they thought it would be, henceforth all the changes they've made. Obviously, things change, and car racing is one of those that do. Even without the points system, and the Chase, NASCAR was changing as technology took over, and the name of the game became about money. No longer could the small teams compete. The days of drivers like Dick Trickle or Dave Marcis, two who came to mind, drivers who rarely had rich sponsors or no sponsors, are long gone. That's what always made the sport exciting to me, seeing legitimate "little guys" out there rubbing fenders with the "big boys".

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
NASCAR lost me a long time ago. I really don't enjoy watching it anymore. Too long to sit in front of the TV and watch a bunch of whiners ride around under a caution flag for 2/3 of the so called race.

I agree 100% way too boring now. NASCAR's goal is to make all cars perform exactly alike. I don't watch any restrictor plate races for that reason. At the races they should have a series of short heat races that last about as long as the tires do and then everybody pit for new tires, fuel and adjustments. The top 10 or so racers from each heat then compete in a final race with the fastest cars starting in the back of the pack. That's how they used to do it in the local 1/4 mile asphalt track and it was very entertaining.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lost interest in 2005....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to watch real racing go to a dirt track and watch good ol' boys who build up their own beater cars in a local garage tear around the track and bang into each other. That's the roots of NASCAR and it's exciting racing.

Do they still do that anymore or has the EPA put that kind of thing out of business? Last time I went was a few decades ago but it beat the heck out of any race on TV.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you want to watch real racing go to a dirt track and watch good ol' boys who build up their own beater cars in a local garage tear around the track and bang into each other. That's the roots of NASCAR and it's still exciting racing.

Do they still do that anymore or has the EPA put that kind of thing out of business? Last time I went was in the late but it beat the heck out of any race on TV.

They still run.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first segment will be the first 25 percent of the race while the second segment will be the second 25 percent. Each segment will end with a caution flag. The cautions will give the races predetermined breaks in the action to help Fox and NBC air as many commercials as possible under yellow flag conditions.

Now there's an important reason for changes. smirk

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NASCAR flat sucks. Always a caution flag at the end to let the favorites catch up and win on the restart. Not much excitement. All cars look the same. A lot of the fun was the Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge part now who knows. Some teams are obviously favored by the rules. Not much different than watching grass grow or paint dry.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NASCAR is great for a Sunday nap. Watch the start and a few laps, take a snooze, watch the last few laps. Much like golf.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boliep
This the perfect way to watch a Nascar race.
Watch the first 20 laps. Take a three hour nap. Watch the last 20 laps.

Should rename it NAPCAR

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
NASCAR lost its way a long time ago, this won't help.

This.

If there is a way to continue to fu^ck up a good thing, the France family & the idiots who work for them will surely find it..........the whole Chase format has been a disaster, & disincentive since day one.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stopped watching after Davey died. They keep finding ways to insure I don't tune in again.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pretty much the same here[except it was after Dale died].

When they left North Wilkesboro[attended the last race there] and Rockingham and threatened pulling one from Martinsville it was clear that what and who got them where they were was no longer important to them.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I went to Wilkesboro every year, it was a helluva track. I go by it about once a year and it sucks seeing it just setting there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I went to Wilkesboro every year, it was a helluva track. I go by it about once a year and it sucks seeing it just setting there.

Had a small local track feel to it. Like a fairgrounds. Bumped in to BP and Ned one time in the concessions as they were heading from trackside prerace to the booth. No elevators or hidden stairs for them to use.
DE was working on a super late model and truck race week there if I remember correctly.

FJB & FJT
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NASCAR became a business and lost its roots with the expansion West for money. Seems it all started when Winston dropped out

Today I don't really keep up with it any longer but I will watch some races to include Bristol, Richmond, Martinsville, Charlotte, Daytona, Talladega and Darlington.

Down this way there is a 1/4 to 1/2 mile track about every 30 miles across most all small southern towns. Greenville Pickens and Myrtle Beach are fun tracks.

I like road courses even more. Summit Point, VIR, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, Daytona. SCCA rocks!!

And yes it's a shame to see what they let Rockingham become. Below!

Glad to see JR back!!

The Rock!

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 18 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.