Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Best suggestion, trade it in on and old 870 Wingmaster and enjoy trouble free shooting with minimal maintenance.

Made a little correction there buddy.. I love my '79 left hand wingmaster...

Agree, and as an example of how things have changed: Bought the well used 870TC Trap in the last 70's. Used it for awhile and then noticed a slight hair line crack at the ejection port, and had a Remington rep look at it at a trap shoot. He bolted on another new receiver and said comeback to the booth in 2 days and I'll have your new one. I said this one is ok and he replied, "No yours is a TC, this one isn't, yours will be stamped TC.

No charge.

Fast forward to 2013:

Almost brand new forend cracks on a Beretta A400. Take it to the Beretta tent at a SC shoot. Guy looks at it and says you have to send it back. "I'll take one off of the 15-20 display models you have there." "Can't do." "Ok, I'll buy one of them." "Can't do, has to go back for them to inspect and then determine if it was your fault or theirs. I can order you one, but can't say when it will shipped."

Last edited by battue; 01/19/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Best suggestion, trade it in on and old 870 Wingmaster and enjoy trouble free shooting with minimal maintenance.

Made a little correction there buddy.. I love my '79 left hand wingmaster...

Agree, and as an example of how things have changed: Bought the well used 870TC Trap in the last 70's. Used it for awhile and then noticed a slight hair line crack at the ejection port, and had a Remington rep look at it at a trap shoot. He bolted on another new receiver and said comeback to the booth in 2 days and I'll have your new one. I said this one is ok and he replied, "No yours is a TC, this one isn't, yours will be stamped TC.

No charge.

Fast forward to 2013:

Almost brand new forend cracks on a Beretta A400. Take it to the Beretta tent at a SC shoot. Guy looks at it and says you have to send it back. "I'll take one off of the 15-20 display models you have there." "Can't do." "Ok, I'll buy one of them." "Can't do, has to go back for them to inspect and then determine if it was your fault or theirs. I can order you one, but can't say when it will shipped."

LOL, how did Beretta survive being a gun company for 500 years?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On the whole they do make quality firearms that work well. However, according to many their CS leaves something to be desired.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
On the whole they do make quality firearms that work well. However, according to many their CS leaves something to be desired.

I have used them 2x for service Beretta Extrema and a Silver Pigeon with no issues. Ordering parts for Sako rifles on the other hand..............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
An acquaintance who is a fairly large Beretta dealer who also sells P and K guns goes to Italy on vacation. While there his family and a friends plan on touring Beretta and Perazzi and have a dinner invite set up with the respective families. He asks if it is OK to include the other family he is traveling with. Perazzi says no problem. Beretta says no. crazy

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Funny everyone is ready to trash the gun but I don't see much mention of the ammo used other than w-w. If they are universals I would probably try a few different brands of ammo now that you have cleaned your gun. Esp ecially before sending the gun back or spending a bunch of $ on it. Some of the promotional shells are not the best .

Last edited by bangeye; 01/19/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was shooting W-W game loads 2-3/4" 7-1/2 shot.

Still haven't had time to test fire more than a half dozen rounds.

These all ejected fine. My 28" barrel worked fine for just a few rounds also.

Will test fire more as time allows.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shot a few rounds through my 28" barrel.

The 870 hung up on one shell, so I hit the slide release, and the shell popped right out!

Must still have factory "gunk" in the slide release.

Will flush it out, oil it and test fire again.

I think 222REM has the answer.

The first time I was shooting, it was 28 degrees. This might have been part of the problem also.

Thanks again! Virgil B.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO the express models are good for one thing, Turkeys! A turkey aint gonna attack me if the dam thing hick-ups after the 1st shot, they are readily available in 3" chambers, and the mate finish takes a rattle can camo job real well. For a field/upland gun the older wingmasters are like butta.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Express are known for needing to have the chamber polished from the get go. Just check out a youtube video.

Most likely that will fix the problem.
Yep, This is what id do and it should be fine.......Good luck ....Hb

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bangeye
Funny everyone is ready to trash the gun but I don't see much mention of the ammo used other than w-w. If they are universals I would probably try a few different brands of ammo now that you have cleaned your gun. Especially before sending the gun back or spending a bunch of $ on it. Some of the promotional shells are not the best .

This is the answer to "rough chambers". the chit they pass for ammo these days is really bad as far as the "brass" or what ever pot metal they use for the base compared to the good the good stuff. I see cheap ammo sticking in all kinds of guns. Its not always the gun. Try some good ammo before you go crazy fixing something thats not broke

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Worked the gun counter at the Fort Worth Cabela's for two years part time. Left in November. We had three Wingmasters in stock when I started and the same three in stock when I left. We moved tons of Expresses and some had rust on the barrel and receiver when taken out of the box to show to a purchaser. The display models developed rust.

I do believe Remington has upped their game and the last couple of shipments seemed to be better quality. Even with the rust issue, we never had an Express come back while I was working.

As has been mentioned I also believe out of spec shells could easily have caused the issue. I've seen Universal's cause issues with O/U's, semi's and pumps.

It's always possible to get lucky, there is a perverse majesty though in Beretta's customer service. It isn't bad, it doesn't exist.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.