Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bullets with thin jackets can come apart because the barrel starts to get rough from erosion at the throat. I had this happen with 6mm 70 grain bullets going only about 3200 fps. Had to rebarrel.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This barrel has had less than 500 rounds down the bore..

And it sure is fun to see gophers blow up on arrival.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Melting depends on muzzle velocity.

The race cars may have to worry. Under 3300-3400 fps, not so much.

I remember when the 17 Remington came out. They claimed the lead would melt and remain molten in the metal jacket until impact.
Even today, ya better choose wisely on bullet choice when loading for the .17R.. I've had a couple come apart in the air maybe 20 feet from the muzzle when I first started reloading for it.. The G-forces from spinning a bullet at 4,000 fps MUST be unreal...

My 17Rem routinely vaporized Bergers but not the V-Maxes with the same load.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are these factory barrels you guys are using?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Melting depends on muzzle velocity.

The race cars may have to worry. Under 3300-3400 fps, not so much.

I remember when the 17 Remington came out. They claimed the lead would melt and remain molten in the metal jacket until impact.
Even today, ya better choose wisely on bullet choice when loading for the .17R.. I've had a couple come apart in the air maybe 20 feet from the muzzle when I first started reloading for it.. The G-forces from spinning a bullet at 4,000 fps MUST be unreal...

My 17Rem routinely vaporized Bergers but not the V-Maxes with the same load.
The V-Max has been fine - that's what I've been using now..

Originally Posted by deflave

Dave
It is on mine... Original Rem M700 (GASP!) BDL that I bought back in late '97 or early '98.. It's been quite accurate since day one..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dave

Yup--off shelf 700Classic.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
which bullet was coming unglued?

Dave

sst

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually spent some time reviewing the original report from Hornady that led to them going to a more heat resistant polymer. I think they got it right in their discription of the tips deforming in flight as they heated up. The fact that the decrease in BC stopped when they went to a higher melting point polymer pretty much proves the point.

I have already seen ads from another bullet manufacturer claiming that their polymer tips are just as heat resistant as the new hornady tips.I don't know if they have recently changed to keep up or not.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 01/24/17.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
shoot bergers problem solved.........

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
shoot bergers problem solved.........

It's funny, because the guy that started the conversation was trying to figure out how to get cleaning media out of the tip of his Berger VLD. (He apparently tumbled them after loading?) The comment of "Well, since plastic tips all melt away during flight, I would think the media would just burn up and not be an issue."

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I actually spent some time reviewing the original report from Hornady that led to them going to a more heat resistant polymer. I think they got it right in their disciption of the tips deforming in flight as they heated up. The fact that the decrease in BC stopped when they went to a higher melting point polymer pretty much proves the point.

I have already seen ads from another bullet manufacturer claiming that their polymer tips are just as heat resistant as the new hornady tips.I don't know if they have recently changed to keep up or not.

I thought I"d read somewhere that the new tips come with a new bullet and new ogive design?

If thats the case nothign has been proven.

Keep the same bullet, but switch tips only, then you can prove something as long as the shape of the tip and weight of the tip is all the same, just a tougher tip.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I actually spent some time reviewing the original report from Hornady that led to them going to a more heat resistant polymer. I think they got it right in their disciption of the tips deforming in flight as they heated up. The fact that the decrease in BC stopped when they went to a higher melting point polymer pretty much proves the point.

I thought I"d read somewhere that the new tips come with a new bullet and new ogive design?

Keep the same bullet, but switch tips only, then you can prove something as long as the shape of the tip and weight of the tip is all the same, just a tougher tip.

Jeff,

They did that when testing the new poly.

It is a marketing decision to keep the new poly only in the new bullet line.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have seen them shoot at 1K with repeated groups of 10 shots with 4" vertical or less. The doppler radar tested proved something was happening and the change to a higher temp fixed the problem.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's odd those .17's were coming apart. I've shot everything in multiple rifle since the mid-90's and never had any issues.

I know Carmichael had reports of some of the original Remington stuff being too thin, but that was 70's era stuff.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Dave

sst

A .17 cal SST?

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Dave

sst
Hornady doesn't make a .17 SST..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by rost495

Jeff,

They did that when testing the new poly.

It is a marketing decision to keep the new poly only in the new bullet line.

Very good to hear that. Then its a proven for sure.

I"d wondered about that years ago but never had issues, and as you see by posts, likely never quite hit the right area, plus if the degradation was consistent, one would have never known... not by my simple use of results based shooting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a Pac-Nor bbl Ruger #1 with Kepplinger trigger, put 3 105 Amax = first production runs, in UNDER 1/2" @330 yds in that 6BR. No sign of melting per target wink In fact, it may have at 200 yds on a spine shot I made on a buck, but moments later at 400 yds I double lunged a buck and it held up just fine smile

Seriously, never had an issue, shot sub-half inch groups at 200 yds in a 260 with 130 AB and another Stiller actioned 6BR shot 1/4" at 200 yds......oh and there was a Dakota Predator I had that would put 3 95BTs in a 1/2" all day at 200 yds....

Nope, no trouble IME.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.