Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only new brass I have purchased recently was Remington, 300 new factory primed 223. It was all good, except for one, seems this guy managed to get past quality control more than once. I hope the ones that are primed have the flash holes in them, LOL.
[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Some first hand experience:

Cracks and/or sharp folds, not dents but folds, in the shoulder of new cases.

Improper annealing, leading to neck cracks after one or two reloadings.

Slag in the brass material itself, like a bullet cast from dirty metal not fluxed and skimmed.

Primer pockets well out of spec for depth and/or excessive radius between the bottom and side walls of the pocket.

Flash holes well off center and/or punched through at odd angles with excessive burrs inside the case.

New case mouths far out of square.

I've seen that too. I do, however, like the really old W/W brass marked "W-W super". That particular brass is as old as I am though. When I started reloading in the early 90's, my friends told me to stay away from Winchester brass because it was garbage. Since then, I've mainly bought R-P and have had excellent luck with it. I did however buy a couple bags of new Winchester brass when that's all I could find for a new 270 Winchester and a 348w. That stuff was not real good. They were all over the place on length and most had to be trimmed. However, if buying new now day's I'd probably just spend the extra money on NORMA. I've had stellar results with the newer Norma. Hornady brass seems to be alright from what I've experienced. I don't like Federal brass though. Mainly bad primer pockets... Since the OP is asking for Winchester or Remington, I'd undoubtedly choose Remington (R-P)...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Some first hand experience:

Cracks and/or sharp folds, not dents but folds, in the shoulder of new cases.

Improper annealing, leading to neck cracks after one or two reloadings.

Slag in the brass material itself, like a bullet cast from dirty metal not fluxed and skimmed.

Primer pockets well out of spec for depth and/or excessive radius between the bottom and side walls of the pocket.

Flash holes well off center and/or punched through at odd angles with excessive burrs inside the case.

New case mouths far out of square.

Between their sloppy QC on brass and producing batches and batches of primers that pierce too easily and have to be returned, Winchester (Olin) is really shooting themselves in both feet.

I wonder if they're using a BACO Model 70 for that?

I agree.. They better be careful though, using chitty brass in a Portuguese rifle, they are apt to shoot their balls off while aiming at the feet...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Darkker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Between their sloppy QC on brass and producing batches and batches of primers that pierce too easily and have to be returned, Winchester (Olin) is really shooting themselves in both feet.

I wonder if they're using a BACO Model 70 for that?

Olin ain't using anything my friend, they sold their cartridge manufacturing business about a decade ago, and powder manufacturing prior to that.

They buy on a least-cost bidding process.
Last fall at least some was coming out of Israel.

sick

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lapua
Winchester
Nosler
Norma
Hornady
Remington

My favs in that order

I like Win brass

Federal is garbage, i wont buy it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've always used Remington brass and it has worked well for me. However as of late it's getting very hard to find. I was running low on 25.06 rem brass and resized rem 30.06 brass and that's what i'm currently using. I also use rem brass in my daughters .260 but recently picked up some Lapua for a great price from a guy who sold his .260. When I run out of rem brass i'll give the lapua a try in her rifle.

I've never used Winchester brass but I have several friends who do and love it. It's my understanding that Black Hills uses Winchester brass in their factory ammo so it must be good brass because they produce some darn good stuff.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never had an issue with either. All the Remington .30/06 brass at my house becomes .338/06 though.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Any opinions on Silver State Armory (SSA) brass? I just saw some yesterday at Sportsmans Warehouse. Bag of 100 for $50. (30/06)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's been awhile but the bag of SSA 308 brass I bought had bad neck walls, about .003" thickness variation from one side of the neck to the other.

Hopefully they've improved.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been awhile but the bag of SSA 308 brass I bought had bad neck walls, about .003" thickness variation from one side of the neck to the other.

Hopefully they've improved.

Weight isn't very uniform on the 308 brass that I bought either but that goes hand in hand with the neck issues.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The SSA 6.8 SPC brass I got several years ago was not uniform at all and the primer pockets aren't the toughest I've seen. I've heard the same story repeated several times. Hopefully Nosler is correcting their QC issues and the current brass is better, but I'm going to let others be the guinea pigs.

I haven't been in the market lately but $50/100 doesn't sound like that good of a deal for '06 brass. Prvi Partizan is good brass and can usually be found for a reasonable price.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Both are good

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,515
Posts18,452,683
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.