-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's -4 right now Dwayne with some snow but it is supposed to cool off again today. I don't mind the cooler weather since it means sun smile when we get snow for days on end it gets old quick.

There being too many people in Prince George for my liking and some undesirable characters these days, that is my reason for not wanting to stay there. Lots of friendly people in the smaller towns, of course there are some good people in P.G. as well

Gerry.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Billy Goat, if you have not seen it before the parkway between Banff (Lake Louise) and Jasper is worth the time. Campgrounds around Jasper (in the park) are fine, you would want reservations in the summer for sure. Hotels there are very pricey though. From there you can head west thru Prince George and stay somewhere west (perhaps Smithers area) before heading thru to Prince Rupert. Lots of pretty country to see in BC.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Billy Goat, if you have not seen it before the parkway between Banff (Lake Louise) and Jasper is worth the time. Campgrounds around Jasper (in the park) are fine, you would want reservations in the summer for sure. Hotels there are very pricey though. From there you can head west thru Prince George and stay somewhere west (perhaps Smithers area) before heading thru to Prince Rupert. Lots of pretty country to see in BC.

Amen to the Banff/Jasper statement. Some of the prettiest country I have ever seen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shane, Googlemaps will break this down for you, but from Banff you are looking at roughly 3+ easy hours to Jasper. Assuming reasonable traffic. Then you turn west, four hours to Prince George, then four hours to Smithers and then four more hours to Prince Rupert. 15-16 hours of driving give or take.

At Pat and Steelhead suggested, the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is incredible, and that scenery continues for about the first hour past Jasper when you head west.

To break the drive up some, I would suggest the first night that you stay at or near Mt Robson, which is roughly that hour west of Jasper just so it is somewhere closer to halfway. Especially if you are camping. That way you get to look at one of the most magnificent mountains a person can (Mt Robson). That also gives you a few extra hours the first day for sight-seeing in what is absolutely the most beautiful part of the trip if you like large mountains.

If you are hoteling it, there should be a small hotel another few minutes west of Mt Robson at Tete Jaune Cache. It is on the Fraser River and is a beautiful location. If it is not open or you want a nicer hotel and more amenities, from Tete Jaune you can drive south a few minutes to Valemount which has nicer hotels. A handful of miles out of your way however.

From there, I would pretty much push through 7 hours to Smithers for the second night. From Mt Robson, the scenery is very nice until you get to McBride, but then the two hours from McBride to PG is ... not so stimulating? wink Flattish land with trees and not much else.

PG will have the cheapest gas you will see in BC on your trip. Costco is there with their cheaper fuel, which forced the other gas stations to compete.

From PG, it's farm land through Vanderhoof and Burns Lake to Houston where that bear is in the window. Three hours plus a wee bit. Then you are getting back into the hills and the Bulkley Valley which is very pretty as well. 45 minutes from Houston to Smithers, where I suggest you stay the second night.

Then the last day you have an easy four hours to Prince Rupert, with Terrace about halfway.

One other thought. I will disagree slightly with Dwayne. You are never more than two hours between gas stations. Banff, Saskatchewan River Crossing, Jasper, McBride, Prince George, Vanderhoof, on and on. I wouldn't worry about taking Jerry cans. You will curse traffic on this trip more than you will worry about feeling isolated while looking at your gas gauge. The cheapest gas you will find is in Alberta and Prince George. I would fill up in Jasper and PG, then when you get to Smithers smile and bend over. grin Smithers gas prices will likely be 50 cents a gallon more than PG and Jasper.

Last edited by RickF; 01/07/17.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thanks a TON RickF.

this is exactly the sort of "local advice" I was hoping for.

you Canadians fail to disappoint. when we were in BC, we found the locals to be among the nicest folks I've ever met.

thanks!

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember somewhere between Bannff and Jasper it snowed on me and that was June 20th.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first of 4 trips driving from lower 48 to AK I went up the Cassiar Hwy; unfortunately we were in the suds for the whole part from Kitwanga to where it hits the Alaska Hwy. Good reason to go back that way again.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rick;
Good afternoon to you sir and thanks for that in depth reply.

You are by the way sir, correct in disagreeing with me on the gas station thing. I do believe I was recalling the time we turned north at Kitwanga to head up to Telegraph Creek when I wrote that.

I should have said too that it's been two decades plus since we drove it last and no doubt things have changed - so I do appreciate the more recent information you've shared.

Anyway sir, if you're as cold as we are then by all means throw another log on the fire for me and I'll do likewise for you my cyber friend and fellow BCer.

All the best to you all this year Rick.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just made most of this trip last fall. From Missouri to Smithers. Banff and Jasper cannot be described with words. I found no shortage of fuel stops or Hotels. I stayed at Mcbride one night. Decent hotel no issues. Stayed in Smithers night before starting my hunt. Lots of decent lodging there. I wished I had taken the time and went on to the coast. You will enjoy the drive and the scenery is unreal.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne, it is absolutely cold over here! We received a foot of snow the first week of December, then it went to -25, and since then has basically just stayed cold and snowed some more. grin We already have our allotment of white stuff for the winter here in the Kooteney's and then some!

It's ironic about the drive between Banff and Prince George. The better half and I have done that a bunch of times, but it's always just point A to point B. We say every year we are going to do it as tourists and enjoy the way, but never seem to take the time to do it.

Regarding the gas station thing, this is a team effort to give our friend from the south as much information as we can before he heads in this direction.

I have done that drive north from Kitwanga a couple of times and absolutely agree on the dearth of gas stations in that direction. I believe just Bell 2, perhaps 100 miles north or so from Kitwanga is the only one on the highway. If nothing else a person should stop there so they can say they have had a cup of the world's absolute worst coffee!! wink

Hope you're doing well over there. Another log on the fire, and have a great year Dwayne.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rick;
Thanks for the reply sir and yes we've been about the same - less snow, but more snow than "normal" on the first week of December and the cold set in and has stayed.

I'm back in construction these days and we're going through 300 liters of heater fuel every other day to try and keep the projects on track....

Anyway if I can be forgiven a quick trip down memory lane with you sir.

So back in '87 my brother in law taught up in Telegraph Creek and so he and my sister invited a buddy and I up to try goat hunting there.

We were working at a BC Fruit Grower's owned test orchard then and the boss said we could take all the odd ball variety apples we wanted to pick if we paid for the boxes. So we stayed late a couple days and picked enough to fill the back of my '80 Toyota 4x4 with just enough room for our camping gear in the canopy covered box.

The idea was to sell the apples to the folks up in Telegraph to help defray gas costs.

Things went pretty well on the first day - made Cache Creek I think it was after work, then day two past PG. Anyway on the third day we stopped at Kitwanga for gas and the gas jockey forgot to replace the fuel cap on the pickup. Remember gas jockeys? laugh

Anyway we pulled into Meziadin Junction to top up and was not pleased to see no gas cap.... what to do?

Meziadin was a gas station and a handful of other buildings then - really small anyway. So the kid at the station says there's a box of gas caps by the till and if one fits help yourself. Wouldn't you know it we found one from a Datsun and it worked after a fashion.

We asked the young man what he needed for it - offered $20 which was more than 3 hours pay for me then - and he said no that's okay. We then offered a box of apples and he looked at us like we'd said we had a truck full of moon rocks! I don't think he believed us.

I want to say we left him with most of a box of apples Rick - can't recall how many now - but he was one happy camper. grin

Lastly, all the way up to Dease we were thinking we should have brought more apples. We hit the bottom of the first grade between Dease and Telegraph and stopped to let the brakes cool down. At that point we had a very serious discussion as to whether we should throw out a few boxes.....

Here's a video of the road for those who are interested.

Sorry to the OP for the drive into the weeds, but thanks for allowing an aging hunter to remember a hunt from what will be 30 year ago this fall.

All the best to you folks again Rick.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickF

I have done that drive north from Kitwanga a couple of times and absolutely agree on the dearth of gas stations in that direction. I believe just Bell 2, perhaps 100 miles north or so from Kitwanga is the only one on the highway. If nothing else a person should stop there so they can say they have had a cup of the world's absolute worst coffee!! wink

Although this isn't going to help the OP others turning north might benefit.
From Kitwanga there is gas at Meziadin Lake and then Bell 2, next is Tatogga Lake and also Iskut and then Dease Lake. Farther north I can't remember since it has been a while. Topping up in Meziadin and Bell 2 is recommended and most gas stations close for the night so don't wait too long smile

Gerry.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Gentlemen, Thanks for all the great advice. One more question, how are the roads to PR right now and what's February like for driving. I may take one suburban and tools up there soon.

Thanks again.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is snowing right now so you can expect compact snow and slippery sections. February can be the same although in general the weather starts to improve by then so there is usually less snow. In short expect slippery roads but there is a good chance it will be clear.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Drove it South twice last Fall. Once in a Tundra pulling a heavy glass boat, once with the Storm and Strife in her Saturn. Hit snow patches on a few summits. Really liked the area in fact will be back to hunt next year. A few kinks in the highway, Some curious weather events, but overall very enjoyable. Gas was I thought reasonable mainly because we did not burn much.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks again gentleman I really appreciate the responses.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
C
Make sure you have locking gas caps on your rigs. I hardly had enough gas left in my car to get off the ferry ramp in Skagway!

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Cranky, Because of all the times I'm parked at a trailhead or boat launch a locking gas cap is on all my rigs. Thanks for the tip though.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.