-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can't load the same way for an ar 15 like you would a bench rest bolt gun. In my experience you get great groups here or there on a day here or there but for me no ar 15 is really capable of producing anywhere near the pure consistency that you can with a custom bolt gun. I don't care whoes barrel is on your ar.

If your seeing 3/4 moa on a consistent basis your getting about all that can be gotten on a reputable everytime basis with an ar 15. Barring uber competition guns or something like that. I know others will say mine shoots in the .2's "when I do my part" ok fine. I just call it like I see it. With that said, I don't do factory guns anymore. But i still have a 16" rra carbine. That gun shoots just about anything into 1.25" or less including steel case. It also shoots most stuff to the same point of impact. I would be happy if every ar barrel I owned shot as good as that barrel with so many different loads. Does it shoot half or .25" groups? it has before but it's generally around 3/4 with the stuff it likes. That is more accuracy than I need to the cartridge effective range of 350 ish yards. I just wish rra would update their product too many hbar heavy barrels. If they offered more contours I might just use their barrel instead of whatever top shelf stuff is out there

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You haven't learned to shut your mouth when you don't know what you are talking about yet?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
everything into a 1.25 MOA group, even steel case ammo! Wow! Well anyway most people know you and your routine by now, so why don't you just say everything into .5 MOA, its just as believable.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have to disagree.

I've seen some AR's that shoot better than any bolt gun I've ever seen -- comparing off the shelf to off the shelf -- 10 shot groups.

Rock River has several barrel contours now. Every RRA rifle I've owned or shot has been extremely accurate.

They make some lightweight rifles now, but the majority of their line is heavy.

Put a RRA Competition and a 700 Varmint on the bench side by side. Shoot a 10 shot group with quality ammo from each. I know where I'd put my money....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Stag 6 has a 1/2" guarantee and lives up to it with good ammo. I've never read of a maker giving that claim with a specific bullet/ammo tho.
Les Bauer gives a guarantee as well but their guns aren't cheap. A stag 6 runs about 1K and the value/return can't be beat in my opinion

I'd listen to certifiable. I seem to remember you doing very well in the black rifle challenge. I've looked at the stag 6's and they seem to very nice rifles. At one time, I had almost decided on the RRA varmint, the Daniel Defense or the Stag. Couldn't quite make up my mind and still haven't, but your post may push me over to Stag...and as far as the thread title, I probably wouldn't listen to anyone that wasn't involved in the black rifle challenge. I like it when someone puts their money where their mouth is.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by rost495
I think most guns with a guarantee will meet it, in some form or fashion.

Generally speaking accuracy does not come with hunting bullets out of the box so to speak.

It does NOT come from ball FMJ stuff.

It comes from match grade, meaning maybe to the point of brass prep, sorting, unified pockets, tested primers, tuned powder charges, proven seating depths and neck tensions. PLUS a TOP line shooter.

That said if the twist works, and it won't shoot federal gold medal match 69s, it may not shoot much of anything.

Beware if its 3 shot or 5 shot groups, distances guaranteed etc... although 3 shot groups, if repeatable, should be more than good enough for 90% of the folks out there.

RE weight... I have a ACCURATE 308 bolt rifle... its also veyr heavy... in there is a theme of sorts, light super accurate are not as common by far.

True, all that.

But here on the 'Fire, only 10 shot groups define an "accurate" rifle, or so I've been led to believe.

But then again, seems like everyone's rifles all shoot <MOA, all day, everyday, as long as the shooter does his part. wink

Or at least as long as we're only talking about 3 shot groups.

MM

IMHO 10 shot groups is a good representation, or at least enough repeatable groups in both size and location, to prove similar.

Accuracy is what you need it to be, no more, no less.

I"ve shot my acccurate 308 a bit over the years. Generally one shot at 100 at the start of the season and its never been off more than 1/2 inch max from desired/expected impact. But I still know the gun is more accurate than that leads one to believe.

The problem is, its much easier to get a fluke 3 shot group in one hole than it is a 10 shot group. Hence the desire to see 10 shot groups.

I totally agree Rost. A 10 shot group (or a few on the same paper) goes a long way in proving the shooter and the rifle... wink.... This, "IF I do my part", is the funniest quote I always seem to see here...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
You can't load the same way for an ar 15 like you would a bench rest bolt gun. In my experience you get great groups here or there on a day here or there but for me no ar 15 is really capable of producing anywhere near the pure consistency that you can with a custom bolt gun. I don't care whoes barrel is on your ar.

If your seeing 3/4 moa on a consistent basis your getting about all that can be gotten on a reputable everytime basis with an ar 15. Barring uber competition guns or something like that. I know others will say mine shoots in the .2's "when I do my part" ok fine. I just call it like I see it. With that said, I don't do factory guns anymore. But i still have a 16" rra carbine. That gun shoots just about anything into 1.25" or less including steel case. It also shoots most stuff to the same point of impact. I would be happy if every ar barrel I owned shot as good as that barrel with so many different loads. Does it shoot half or .25" groups? it has before but it's generally around 3/4 with the stuff it likes. That is more accuracy than I need to the cartridge effective range of 350 ish yards. I just wish rra would update their product too many hbar heavy barrels. If they offered more contours I might just use their barrel instead of whatever top shelf stuff is out there

How did you do in the black rifle challenge here??

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to shoot High power competition and spent a few years reading and buying competition grade AR's then progressed to the point of building them myself.

I think learning what to look for is more important than identifying who claims what.

In short there are a couple of things that make it accurate, and those have to do with precision built (trigger, barrel, and chambering type per what you are shooting, and free floating the barrel).

There are also a few things that have to do with how easy they are to shoot. Those are how they fit you, and how consistent you can be with the rifle as it recoils back.

Past that it's just quality of materials...

Most rifles have something shooters want to change over time, buttstock, forearm, ... so depending on how much your rifle cost it might be smarter to piece part it. This would be someone who wants a AR with features of the 1800-2800 off the shelf price range.

The $500 jobs will not have a "great trigger," or Match barrel so long term if you keep it and upgrade those you are throwing away money ....

Now if you move to 308 AR platforms the equations change drastically, but for the common AR, it's pretty much that way.

At the moment there are plenty of good sales so if your careful you can get what you want and not toss too much in the trash when buying an off the shelf rifle.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

At the moment there are plenty of good sales so if your careful you can get what you want and not toss too much in the trash when buying an off the shelf rifle.

I haven't seen any really good prices yet on top end guns (or parts); lots of low end, entry level stuff at decent, but not great, prices.

If you know of something specific, let us all know.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I haven't seen any really good prices yet on top end guns (or parts); lots of low end, entry level stuff at decent, but not great, prices.

MM

^^^^^ Please^^^^^^^^

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here is the offending group. You can clearly see the low group (with a flyer) and the one on target but you can also claim some 3 shot groups in there.
[Linked Image]
If you are honest with yourself, 3 shot groups can be ok but it's hard to argue with a 10 shot group.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

MM

^^^^^ Please^^^^^^^^

Hoping Daniel Defense comes up with a 6.5 Creed that doesn't weigh 10 lbs.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GregW
You haven't learned to shut your mouth when you don't know what you are talking about yet?
Evidently not at all.
I will give you that .2 groups out of an AR are not everyday though. But the same goes for bolt guns. But I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Here is the offending group. You can clearly see the low group (with a flyer) and the one on target but you can also claim some 3 shot groups in there.
[Linked Image]
If you are honest with yourself, 3 shot groups can be ok but it's hard to argue with a 10 shot group.

Yep, but if you took deviation from center on multiple 3 shot groups, it would really end up all the same.

Just easier to see it by far in a 10 shot group.

Off topic a bit, but I won't shoot big groups when load testing. Heck I usually use the Audette anyway, and then play with 3 shot groups... because if the first 3 shot group is horrible, why would I want to shoot more shots... another 2 to 7....

But on final testing, I'd shoot what we shot generally, IE if it was testing for 10 shot rapid fire ammo, I'd shoot multiple 10 shot groups.

I never did shoot 22 shot groups off a bench though for the slow fire strings, though I would test them in matches from the sling and irons, different batches of 22....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
[Linked Image]

That almost looks like a bi-modal distribution for those 2 five shot groups...........if they were actually shot as 5 shot groups.

Almost like you changed your rest or your hold or subtlety changed POA.

Just doesn't look like normal distribution of shot or flyers.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen several AR's with promised accuracy that couldn't deliver and if I were the owner of said rifle I'd be chapped , especially when a premium price was paid for it. This group is from a Palmetto State Armory sporting a Burris 3-9 Scope with no accuracy guarantee , 10 shots of factory Hornady 55 gr vmax, if only I hadn't pulled the one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot another 10 shot group like that one, post it & you'll go to the top of the Challenge list...........assuming that wasn't out of a fixture. grin

MM

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bro..that accuracy gaurantee is only for their model 6. It's a 24" heavy bastid but they do what they claim. 1/8 ER Shaw barrels on the 6 btw..
My brother and I both shot one in the black rifle challenge..
After shooting mine and my brothers 5 friends have made the move
This was the two tens with 75's and those flyers were all me..
[Linked Image]
A buddy's group with 52 amax
[Linked Image]
I see they also sell the upper only for about 6 bills. Pretty good deal!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
[Linked Image]

That almost looks like a bi-modal distribution for those 2 five shot groups...........if they were actually shot as 5 shot groups.

Almost like you changed your rest or your hold or subtlety changed POA.

Just doesn't look like normal distribution of shot or flyers.

MM

Yes I shot the first 5 then looked in the spotter and realized I was aiming low. Raised to center and fired 5 more. I really need to shoot 10 more and see if I can duplicate a 1.5" group with the setup.

But it was an awesome day where all the planets aligned... I started off shooting a coyote square in the mouth as he was barking at my decoy/caller. Then I shot another one on the run at about 275 yards. The range trip was just a good ending to a great morning.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought you said that you had adjusted, thats what I saw in the group too, an adjustment after 5.

IF you can get a 1.5 repeatable I want to know what ball ammo, because its a really good lot and I might buy some for the hell of it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.