Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sam,

You make me tired.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, we're shipping calves next week so it'll last quite awhile after they are gone.

1.5-2 months?

And it gets mixed with corn silage so we really don't feed all that much chopped feed to begin with.

About 60 ton in the mound.

Grind roughly 200 ton from fall-spring.

Ed, it is easy work(running a loader tractor) but can be a little stressful(sore neck..).
We try to be uber careful when handling bales around the machine/operator.

You know all about safety!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That'll keep everyone happy.

The worst part of the jobs gotta be taking the net off of all the bales.

We bag a few hundred ton of grass in May/June to mix with our corn silage.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The hay grinders can send hay dust a half a mile. The sound a bit farther. Love em.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, the net is left on and ground up.
(and it does suck getting that chit off a bale when it's icy..)

Grinding twine/wrap isn't an issue for feeding calves(short term..) but you wouldn't want to do it over the life of a cow.

And a 1500lb bale might have a pound of wrap on it(?) so it's a relatively low percentage.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got it,

Hopefully that new JD earned it's keep

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the loader controls.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, someday I'll tell you about flax straw.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cool pics!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I've picked a half ton of premium quality alfalfa hay dust outta my nose over the years.

The wind don't always blow right.

Thanks for the memories.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, I sold a very nice quarter horse mare to some locals. A few months later, I heard she gotten sick, and then died. Seems as if no one could figure out what happened, until their other horses also died. Turns out they were feeding round bales with the net, and the horses were eating some of the net. Apparently, it got in their digestive system, and killed them. I rarely feed hay with the net, but always cut it off if I do. That includes cattle and horses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have heard of animals eating plastic grocery bags, and it killing them.

Speaking of grinding things. A long while back, at Pine Bluff, Arkansas I saw where they were grinding up old cross ties. It was at a batch plant where they made hot mix asphalt. I don't know and could not find out if the two were related. Any ideas? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of the batch plant asphalt places here will now take all the shingles they can get< sure makes it great for roofing contractors. No charge dump anytime great deal all around

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Several years ago, I sold a very nice quarter horse mare to some locals. A few months later, I heard she gotten sick, and then died. Seems as if no one could figure out what happened, until their other horses also died. Turns out they were feeding round bales with the net, and the horses were eating some of the net. Apparently, it got in their digestive system, and killed them. I rarely feed hay with the net, but always cut it off if I do. That includes cattle and horses.

Here's a study in that very thing.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/AS1736-08.pdf

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The digestive system of a horse is much different than that of cattle, and that's why the plastic net will kill a horse. Horses can die eating moldy feed, while a cow won't. Most years I feed my horses square bales that have been kept inside and are mold free, being very picky as to the hay I feed. Some years I have to feed round bales, and always try to feed the ones that have been stored inside and were baled dry. However, this year I'm running a few calves with the horses, and have been feeding round bales that were kept outside. I just keep plenty of them out so the horses can have enough good hay to choose from. I also much prefer the sisal twine to the plastic, as I hate having that plastic being left on the ground, though I usually take the time to remove it before feeding.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been getting some square bales from a farmer, where I find a good deal of pieces of white plastic in the bale. Once going there for a load of hay, I saw pieces of it all over the place. Don't know where it comes from, but clearly they pay no attention to it while cutting and bailing. While I use up they rest of that hay, I've been pulling the bales apart in their feeder.

And some people use the term "horse quality" very loosely. A cow can grind through most anything, not so with a horse.

Sorry to get side tracked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While talking about horse hay, I thought about this blister beetle danger for horses. It can be very quickly fatal.

http://hayusa.net/blister.html

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, sounds itchy!

Ken, we try and work around the wind forecast but like you say sometimes it doesn't go as planned...

I just tried looking up what a roll of wrap weighs but couldn't find any info.

Depending on the number of wraps and bale size you can make about 160-200 bales per an 8800' roll.

Say a roll weighs 80-100 pounds?

Going by those estimates the pile above(90 bales/1350lbs) would have roughly 40-50lbs of plastic in the grand total of 121,000lbs.

But I guess weight isn't the issue, volume(of the ground wrap) is the concern.

As far as unrolling bales with the pickup for the cows I ALWAYS take the wrap(or twine) off and take it with me. It can be a huge pain in the ass when it's icy but way better than choking a cow not to mention the extreme mess it would create on the feed ground.

I hate garbage of any kind.

We feed on stubble fields and it sucks having to get out and clean missed twine off of a drill/toolbar or worse yet cut it off of the 'axle stubs'. It'll raise hell with wheel bearing seals.

Fricken' pain in the ass so I've become the plastic Nazi!

You become a lot more fussy about cleaning it up when you're the one running the tractor later on...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.