Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just starting to plan an elk hunt for fall 2018. Probably 4-6 guys with no elk experience, but we are generally able to take care of ourselves in the outdoors.

I'm looking for an outfitter who will assist with licenses/tags, set up a camp, point us in the right direction, then pretty much leave us alone. We want to kill, but also appreciate a backcountry experience that we can't get back home.

It looks like there are plenty of outfitters offering this type of hunt, but would like some recommendations. My main concern is finding someone who will make an honest effort to put us in the right place at the right time, and generally knows what they are doing.

Thinking CO or NM to cut down on driving time from LA.
I'd really appreciate any advice/experience y'all can give.

thanks,
mdv

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
J Bar H outfitters out of meeker CO. Operating in Unit 12 Jeanne Horne, owner, operator.

Great camps with good equipment, very experienced and courteous staff.Camps are spread out and success rates on bulls is high

Very competitive prices

They pack you and your personal gear in and check every few days to pack meat out and there is a walk in cooler for meat at the base camp.

Hurry though has she is already booked for 2017 and taking bookings for 2018. Most of her clients are repeats

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/25/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the quick reply

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you go ahead and get registered with Jeanne, J Bar H, sometimes she gets a cancellation and she will call you. Also, sometimes she will open another camp if you have four hunters ready. Right now she has three drop camps opens for 2018. If you register for 2018 and tell her you would like to hunt this year as well, she may be able to help you. Very nice lady as well.

Last edited by ro1459; 01/25/17.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wilson Mesa,Horse Park or Salt Park are the better ones,although all produce elk

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like J Bar H would stretch the budget a little too far--anyone else out there with a good reputation?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Looks like J Bar H would stretch the budget a little too far--anyone else out there with a good reputation?

I doubt you will find anyone with better prices.If so I would advise checking them out thoroughly. I know this lady personally and she is the real deal.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Not to belabor the point, but so far, i've just been googling drop camps, and it looks like most guys are around $1800, which puts me right at the edge of my budget.

I would go with Jeanne just based on what I've read here, but she's $2500--that's enough of a difference to make me keep looking.

anybody heard of these guys?
http://www.tenderfoot-outfitters.com/dropcamp.htm

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm sorry, but if you are traveling and so on, for an out of state elk hunt, if 700 extra breaks someones budget, then you really probably should save anotehr year and do it right.

If my budget was that tight, and trust me it has been, I'd just as soon drive over to the edge of a wilderness area and strap on a pack and start walking.... and use the 1800 to 2500 for other things.

BTDT on both sides.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the help guys

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to belabor the point, but so far, i've just been googling drop camps, and it looks like most guys are around $1800, which puts me right at the edge of my budget.

I would go with Jeanne just based on what I've read here, but she's $2500--that's enough of a difference to make me keep looking.

Tenderfoot Outfitters has a base camp in Colorado Unit 54 on a gentle ridge just north of the confluence of Castle Creek and South Castle Creek. Fred Stinson is the owner. I have never used the services of an outfitter but I have hunted unit 54 since 1978 and I have been to Tenderfoot's base camp, observed activities in camp, and met Fred several times in the field. Fred Stinson is courteous but pretty dictatorial with his staff and to some extent the same with clients. They're gear (camp, tack, etc.) is first rate. They have well trained horses and the guides have been with the outfit for many years. I've also seen a couple of their drop camps. They are well placed and also have good quality gear. They have a concessions to hunt on public land. I don't think they have access to private land but I'm just guessing about that.

The elk population in unit 54 has declined in recent years and the CO P&W now lists the elk herd in that unit as "at management objectives". The elk in the Castle Creek drainage now spend most of the Fall on the Castleton Ranch and the Rock House Ranch, out of the reach of public land hunters, and therefore out of reach of Tenderfoot Outfitters.

I have hunted unit 54 twenty-five times since 1978 and I know the area as good as anyone. I've given up on hunting elk in unit 54 and now I hunt elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't pay for a high dollar elk hunt outfitter in that area.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Good and bad things. I hunt the same local in rifle season and use the trail head that Fred Stinson operates out of.Several other DIY'ers have had run ins with him , but I get along OK by no straying into his hunting area.

A few of his drop camp clients have complained that his staff would not pack their elk out from the kill site and they had to get it back to their camp first.

I guess the worse thing is ( and thru no fault of Tenderfoot) is the elk herds in that eastern part of Unit 54 head down to the Ohio Creek Valley floor to private land pretty quick when any shooting starts.Tenderfoot has not had a very good success rate the last few years because of it.Two years ago,I think they killed three or four elk in all the combined seasons.Last year they took a few more, but certainly not over 30%.
Same as KC I should have went elsewhere in 2016,bu tdidn't, and I didn't see one elk

As for J Bar H, once you have experienced her hunts, see her camp locations , her success rate in kills ( Usually 100% in ML season) in all seasons you will think that $700 is worth it.

She is a member of the CPW Commision, and has been voted outfitter of the year.You don't get that being shabby . I don't use her service, but camp close to her base operations in ML season. She treats non-clients just as well as clients. I talk to a lot of her clients during the season and in 7-8 years have never heard one complaint.Her calendar fills up fast because she has so many repeats that they book the following year at the end of their hunt.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/26/17.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With no elk experience of anyone of you, I would save more money and go with a full guided hunt. With drop camp,you will have to figure out where the elk are or went. If you stumble into them and spook them, they are more than likely to head to the next drainage out of your walk-able area unless you are in super physical shape.

In a guided hunt someone is there that knows the area, and knows how to hunt elk.In addition,fully guided hunts usually are permitted to have horses in camp,which makes your huntable area a 8-10 mile radius.

I have helped quite a few first timers,and I am only trying to keep you from having an expensive camping trip. Probably anyone on this forum that recomends an outfitter is on the up and up.I'd sure take those recomendations over any Google search.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good info. Please keep it coming. Maybe I can find that $700.

Any Idaho or NM recommendations?

Last edited by mdv1state; 01/26/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In 30 plus years of guiding and hunting elk, My conclusion is drop camps are waste of time and money. Save your money and go with a good outfitter that provides all the services. Most good outfitters want nothing to do with drop camps especially Wyoming and Montana.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That's not good news.

I don't want to hunt with a guide.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mdv, I have hunted with Jeanne six times and can assure you that she is outstanding. As Saddlesore said, she has some great drop camps. Unfortunately those go fast, with the exception of Salt Park. That is a long ride and if you get heavy snow it would be longer. (4 hours +)However, it is a great drop camp. The guys that got it last year are regulars and go there often. They all got one and two got doubles.She is worth the extra $700. All you have to do look at her repeat business to know what we are all telling you is honest and we are truly trying to help you have the best experience you can. You will not be sorry you spent the extra money. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm sorry, but if you are traveling and so on, for an out of state elk hunt, if 700 extra breaks someones budget, then you really probably should save anotehr year and do it right.

If my budget was that tight, and trust me it has been, I'd just as soon drive over to the edge of a wilderness area and strap on a pack and start walking.... and use the 1800 to 2500 for other things.

BTDT on both sides.

Stupid answer.

Just 700$? multiplied by 4 just for starters.

If he's not willing to pay that much what's another year matter?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
With no elk experience of anyone of you, I would save more money and go with a full guided hunt. With drop camp,you will have to figure out where the elk are or went. h.

He wants to go on a Dropcamp type hunt,

After about a 10 drop camps, I'd say no "elk experience" means little.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLSguide
In 30 plus years of guiding and hunting elk, My conclusion is drop camps are waste of time and money.

There's over a dozen Elk racks, and countless memories in this area from "wasted" drop camps.

Sorry but I disagree with you a lot.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've hunted unit 24 in the flat tops many times, it is across the road just south of the area J bar H hunts...if you take a look at a drop camp map available from Patty at the usfs in Meeker you can see that Jeanne's camps are few and very spread out Compared to the flat tops where the camps are stacked on top of each other and way to many! I believe this is one reason her drop camp hunters do so well!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
J Bar H is starting to look like the industry leader here.
Kenneth, who have you used and what did you think about them?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tag for future reference.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Aviator
I've hunted unit 24 in the flat tops many times, it is across the road just south of the area J bar H hunts...if you take a look at a drop camp map available from Patty at the usfs in Meeker you can see that Jeanne's camps are few and very spread out Compared to the flat tops where the camps are stacked on top of each other and way to many! I believe this is one reason her drop camp hunters do so well!

Definitely.Jeanne bought out another outfitter years ago and spread her camps out.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
With no elk experience of anyone of you, I would save more money and go with a full guided hunt. With drop camp,you will have to figure out where the elk are or went. h.

He wants to go on a Dropcamp type hunt,

After about a 10 drop camps, I'd say no "elk experience" means little.

With over 50 years of elk hunting under my belt and watching elk hunters with no experience blundering around I'd have to disagree with you.

I am aware that the OP wants to hunt a Drop Camp, but was explaining why a guided hunt would be prefered over a drop camp for the 1st hunt.

Success ratio of kills in CO is about 20% ,but that includes cow hunts, Can a 1st time elk hunt fill a tag hunting form a drop camp? Sure. Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in awhile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hunter density in Colorado is a problem especially in area's like unit 24..I have booked and hunted out of many drop camps over the years, one thing to look at is how close to other camps are you ! It is very frustrating to get out early opening morning work your tail off only to run into other hunters from the outfitters other camp a mile away! Do your research! Use all of the tools available to you, look the area over well on maps and google earth, ask lots of questions from the outfitter and reference's as well as the forest service! As far as J bar H goes I've never hunted with her however going on what I've heard as well as knowing the area I wouldn't hesitate to book with her..I can't say the same for some of the other outfitters in the area..Good Luck!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I hunted with Bar H (before the name change) back in 2008 I believe. Pm me if would like.
Roosterhuntin.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Don Dockins, Eagle's Nest Outfitters, Meeker CO. 970 326-8175. Has 5 to 7 pack-in drop camps along 10 miles of the White River drainage in GMU 24. Offers guided hunts also. Drop camps are in the $1600 range for 5 day hunts. Everything furnished but food, personal gear, and license.
All seasons. The wranglers will tell you where they've seen elk on the pack-ins and outs, you just have to follow their advice. About a 50% success rate as I recall, but that depends on the hunter and the tag. Knowing the area helps as well. First year is a lot of luck, subsequent years you learn where the elk tend to be. I've hunted with Don over 10 years, and always seen shootable elk. Cows are plentiful, you have to hunt a little harder for a nice bull. Give him a call.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

With over 50 years of elk hunting under my belt and watching elk hunters with no experience blundering around I'd have to disagree with you.

I am aware that the OP wants to hunt a Drop Camp, but was explaining why a guided hunt would be prefered over a drop camp for the 1st hunt.

When you say blundering around, It seems you're describing DIY dudes, they may drive to the trailhead and start asking, 'where all the Elk at?'

Dropcamps are hunters being taken several miles off-road to their camp and being dropped off. Shouldn't be much blundering around.

Regarding guided hunts, Most of the biggest disappointments in my hunts, and some of the most expensive mistakes were made by "guides"

Then there's the fact that many don't want the guided experience. Drop camps can be perfect for many.

Regarding Elk experience, you could find ten years worth of experience in 30 minutes of searching this very forum.

I'll say knowledge of the area is more important than knowledge of the animal, You go on one expensive guided hunt, you've learned little as it's not likely your returning anytime soon.

A reasonably priced drop camp that you hunt every 2/3 years and Life can be good. That was my plan 15 years ago, and it's played out well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am glad it worked out for you.Others may not be so fortunate

No, I am talking about hunters in drop camps blundering around.About the only benefit I see in a drop camp is you don't need to know or own much camping gear or how to pitch the big tent. The worse thing is once you are there and elk are not within a few miles you are pretty well screwed.

As for finding 10 years of experience in 30 minutes on this forum to do that you have to spend four hours sifting thru the BS from the so called experts.

Maybe you just signed up with bad guides.The one I reccomend has a big repeat client list and it is hard to get signed up with her. Every one that has ever posted on here about her has given great reviews and they keep going back.

Definitely having good knowledge of the area trumps all.I would rather hunt an area with fewer elk that I know well than an area with more elk ,but I know very little about. However, I have met a lot of guys in the unit I hunt that did a drop camp or guided hunt and then came back in subsequent years as DIY'ers.

On the other hand when I hunted Unit 25 which has a lot of outfitters and drop camps,I heard nothing but bad things from the hunters. A.J Brink, High Guide Service, Winterhawk to name a few.Then down in Unit 54, Tenderfoot Outfitters. The most often complaint I heard was no elk, and drop camps too close together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I seriously don't have the time or energy to deal with your Negative Nancy crap.

Are you trying to imply public land Guided hunts in CO are 100% kill?

You claim 50 years experience, then imply the only advantage to dropcamps is not having to own your own camping gear?

GAFB.

I also love the so well used mantra about dropcamps, "if the Elk aren't there your screwed",

it's the same scenario with a guided hunt, or again are you trying to imply guided hunts are 100% ?

Later, much later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at Kiowa Outfitters out of Raton NM

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I seriously don't have the time or energy to deal with your Negative Nancy crap.

Are you trying to imply public land Guided hunts in CO are 100% kill?

You claim 50 years experience, then imply the only advantage to dropcamps is not having to own your own camping gear?

GAFB.

I also love the so well used mantra about dropcamps, "if the Elk aren't there your screwed",

it's the same scenario with a guided hunt, or again are you trying to imply guided hunts are 100% ?

Later, much later.

Just keep on truck in Kenneth.You will get here later,much later

You can always scroll past my post or ignore. Nobody forcing you to read them.OP has the option of sifting out the chaff and using what works for him

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/29/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm of the same opinion as saddlesore on being screwed if your drop camp isn't located in the right place, or if there are too many other camps nearby. I've seen both myself.

And saddlesore is a guy who packs into the backcountry every year with his mules, and then packs back out with at least one elk. He's not being negative, just giving good advice.

So make sure you ask the right questions of the outfitter--how many camps, how close by are they, how many hunters in each, what have the success rates been in the camp where you'll be. And get the names of a few references that have hunted those camps recently and see what they have to say.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

When you say blundering around, It seems you're describing DIY dudes, they may drive to the trailhead and start asking, 'where all the Elk at?'

Dropcamps are hunters being taken several miles off-road to their camp and being dropped off. Shouldn't be much blundering around.

Regarding guided hunts, Most of the biggest disappointments in my hunts, and some of the most expensive mistakes were made by "guides"

Then there's the fact that many don't want the guided experience. Drop camps can be perfect for many.

Regarding Elk experience, you could find ten years worth of experience in 30 minutes of searching this very forum.

I'll say knowledge of the area is more important than knowledge of the animal, You go on one expensive guided hunt, you've learned little as it's not likely your returning anytime soon.

A reasonably priced drop camp that you hunt every 2/3 years and Life can be good. That was my plan 15 years ago, and it's played out well.

You could stand to learn a thing or two from guys like Saddlesore if you suspend your ego for a bit and read. You're not from a Western elk area, hence that implies elk hunting and mountain life is more incidental than anything for you. Negative Nancy comments are yours to own, not his. Best to read what the really experienced have to share. Not intended to start a crap war.
And not intending to negate YOUR experiences. Yet, best to recognize, your experiences are not the "end all" advice for a newbie.

Last edited by Wyogal; 01/30/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
saddlesore, smokepole, KC, Brad, huntsmann22 etc. have probably forgotten more about elk hunting than most of us will ever know. Do what you want but I would heed their advice. I have more than once and haven't been disappointed yet.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wyogal

You could stand to learn a thing or two from guys like Saddlesore if you suspend your ego for a bit and read. You're not from a Western elk area, hence that implies elk hunting and mountain life is more incidental than anything for you. Negative Nancy comments are yours to own, not his. Best to read what the really experienced have to share. Not intended to start a crap war.
And not intending to negate YOUR experiences. Yet, best to recognize, your experiences are not the "end all" advice for a newbie.

Holy [bleep] I'm laughing here,

Suspend my ego and read?

Hello?

The Nonresident OP asks for advice on drop camps, 4-6 people involved, they openly state they want a wilderness experience,

An outfitter is mentioned and the OP states the price is higher than he, not to mention the several other members of his group care to spend ,
then it turns into,

"You should go fully guided" LOL! All six of them!

How far from the original premise can these "experts" go? LOL!

I also listened to 'people in the know' for the first several years before my first Elk hunt, listening to all the advice and waiting for all the perfect scenarios to line up. Huge waste of time, missed hunts never to be regained. Time ain't standing still Babe.

You mention some good dudes, Hunts and Brad and others, You know how many drop camps they have likely been in?

Few if any. I'm a non-resident who's been in about 10 drop camps replying to another non-resident looking for like info, see the similarity's there?

You couldn't be more wrong, but thanks for the chuckle.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have hunted drop camps exclusively since 2005 in 24 and 54, I've hunted with Winterhawk and Tenderfoot, but I will say I gained a wealth of knowledge from Saddlesore and KC researching info from the area (they know it) and the post they make regarding 54 is dead on. I'll still be drop camp hunting 54 this season but with another outfitter.

For me I don't feel like I need a guide but being a flatlander I do need to be packed in, rather than trying to haul Horses and Mules from Ky. I don't mind putting in the pre-dawn miles from camp as long as elk are reachable.

Do your research on your outfitters and you'll be ok there. Saddle I'll definitely check out the outfitter you've recommended and put it on my short list.

I'm always learning.

West Kentucky Boy
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good info--please keep it coming. I have no problem blundering around in the woods, as long as there are reachable animals. N2mywake, did winterhawk and tenderfoot put you in workable spots?

I just want to avoid a screw job.

Last edited by mdv1state; 01/30/17.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My hunt with Winterhawk was my first, a heavy snow the night before we packed in collapsed our tent (they were testing lighter tent frames-one season that didn't hold up) so they moved us to a much higher camp 11,600ft for first rifle season... the elk were much lower, but as the snow melted they came back for about 2 days before we got another foot of snow. we got 1 cow on that hunt.

With all my hunts with Tenderfoot we were on elk, we got a few bulls over the years. There have been some accurate statements made about them. I like the area and I like dealing with Fred, though we haven't always agreed he does run top notch camps. That being said I think he's not planning to run drop camps in 54 any longer. I think he's planning to move his guided hunts into that area.

You have to do your part. I've been training since dec 1 for this years hunt, so I try to make sure I can put myself into workable spots.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI, Winterhawk had their permit pulled after 2015 season and have vacated the area. Glad their gone too, I had more problems with their hired hands than I care to share.

I've never been dropped in, always had my own camp, rent horses, been doin it since 92 but moved to CO 10 years ago. Hunted the same area the whole time and know it very well. I'd rather do it on my own, my way. Filling tags is always the goal but I'm not unhappy if I don't.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Huntinut
FYI, Winterhawk had their permit pulled after 2015 season and have vacated the area. Glad their gone too, I had more problems with their hired hands than I care to share.

Filling tags is always the goal but I'm not unhappy if I don't.

I had heard something was up with winterhawk but wasn't sure what. Wonder what pushed it over the top?

regarding filling tags I agree completely.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had two friends hunt with Winterhawk several years back,

They came home with a decent Bull and fairly nice buck.

Only thing they weren't happy about was WH required them to haul the game to the nearest horse trail. That hadn't been mentioned, or asked.

The Devil is in the details.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Many many years ago,probably in the mid 80's we hunted unit 25 a lot,where Winterhawk hunted.Only we were there first.This was before the area was written up in a lot of magazines. In the late 70's we consistently filled every bull tag in camp 5-6, plus deer.

Winterhawk moved in and set up a base camp at the end of the road ,called Big Springs. They promptly erected a corral that fouled the only water source there. The first season,they didn't do well and tried to bully all the DYIer's there thinking it was their own private hunting area. We didn't bully.

We were bringing elk in every day. The 2nd year they were there, they had two guides( at least they called themselves that) follow us around. Although we packed all our elk out after dark,it wasn't long before they tracked us in the snow and found out where to hunt. That pretty much ended that good area,and we baled out and hunted elsewhere.

That area is out of Derby Junction long the Colorado River and into the end of W Mountain. I still knew a few honey holes back in a ways.I sent a few guys in there,but every year got worse and worse. Winterhawk wouldn't go to the kill site and pack meat,because they were not very skilled horsemen or packers. I had a few hunters in drop camps with Tenderfoot tell me the same thing happened to them.

I then moved further west and hunted out of Sweetwater Lake .For many years,I packed a camp into the Turret Meadows local,but in later years, I rode in every day form the lake.

At that location. AJ Brink ran an outfitters business.Drop Camps and full guided service and at the end of the road High Guide Service operated by Dennis Berghstead and Cade Benson. It sold three times during the years I hunted there,and the new buyers ran it into the ground. There was also an outfitter operating out of the public parking area near Sweetwater lake. There were lot of unhappy hunters that got poor hunts there. A J Brink was ok ,but there were just too many outfitters in the same location and it was a favorite for NR's to hunt also.I took 8 bulls in 8 years out of there and then several cows,but it eventually got hunted out, but the outfitters still hunt it. and a lot of clients go home with unpunched tags.During all this time ,I also hunted Unit5 4 on and off and finally started to hunt it exclusively in rifle season.Now that area is pretty poor in terms of success rates.I knew both the previous owners of Tenderfoot,before Fred Stinson bought it.

I relate all this to give a brief account of my association with drop camps/outfitters. Not that I used them, but I sure talked to a lot of guys in those camps.

I see a lot of outfitters having booths at the trade shows like the Sportsman's Exposition in Denver and I know a lot of them set up back east for western hunts. There is undoubtedly some good outfitters at those places,but the really good outfitters are already booked full for 2017. As mentioned a fellow really has to do his homework before signing up with an outfitter.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/30/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Suspend my ego and read?

Hello?

The Nonresident OP asks for advice on drop camps, 4-6 people involved, they openly state they want a wilderness experience,

An outfitter is mentioned and the OP states the price is higher than he, not to mention the several other members of his group care to spend ,
then it turns into,

I also listened to 'people in the know' for the first several years before my first Elk hunt, listening to all the advice and waiting for all the perfect scenarios to line up. Huge waste of time, missed hunts never to be regained. Time ain't standing still Babe.

You mention some good dudes, Hunts and Brad and others, You know how many drop camps they have likely been in?

Few if any. I'm a non-resident who's been in about 10 drop camps replying to another non-resident looking for like info, see the similarity's there?

Wyogal nailed it. She could have saved the trouble and just said "don't be such an assh*le" though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

Suspend my ego and read?

Hello?

then it turns into,

Wyogal nailed it. She could have saved the trouble and just said "don't be such an assh*le" though.

i grew up in the midwest and now live out west in elk country the past 13 years chasing, hunting photographing elk.I have elk by my house year round.

i learned early though to stop running my mouth and listen to guys like kc, saddlesore, scenar and smokepole and others on here. Very big learning curve for successful elk hunter.I put at least 50 60 days a year scouting and still have more to learn.

Last edited by ribka; 02/01/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice of you to mention my name but both those guys have forgotten more than I know. I did hunt out of a drop camp, and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once though.

I'm with you on the learning curve. Grew up hunting whitetails back east. Some skills are transferable but it's a totally different ballgame. One thing I learned early on is as they say "elk are where you find them."

A spot that was red hot one year may be no good the next, due to hunting pressure or just the natural movement of the animals. If you get plopped down in an unfamiliar spot and it's an off year, you need to be able to pick up and move. If you can't change your location, success will be limited. If you're backpacking or car camping, or hunting guided, moving ain't a big deal.

In a drop camp, it's impossible.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jump in with both feet and do it yourself. To hell with paying big money for someone to deny you the experience and learning that you'll get from DIY. Study and research starting now and go make it happen. It isn't that complicated when you get into it. Pick a unit, study your maps to find areas a mile from a road and go have a ball learning about elk hunting.

RLTW
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by greentimber
Jump in with both feet and do it yourself. To hell with paying big money for someone to deny you the experience and learning that you'll get from DIY. Study and research starting now and go make it happen. It isn't that complicated when you get into it. Pick a unit, study your maps to find areas a mile from a road and go have a ball learning about elk hunting.

That will work.I have met a lot of guys that do that.Then when they walk up to an elk they start to try to figure out how to get it out. Th en ext thing you know,they are at my camp or another's asking to pack it out. SO if you choose this route, make recover a big part of your plan.

Not aimed at Greentimber,but a few years back down in Unit 54 there was a guy from TN that after successfully getting his elk,he put the meat in plastic garbage bags.Don't know if the meat was still warm or not, but when he went back to get it,it was spoiled.He told me when he opened the bags he almost puked. Again, know how to take care of you meat and figure out how to get it out

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/04/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you're doing 4 guys and $1800 each is top end of your budget, you guys can put together a nice wall tent setup for $2500 and you'll be set for many years of DIY wilderness hunting. That's how it all started with me.

Huntinut

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's how the guys I go with have done it for years. They started backpacking in the Flat Tops in the early 80's . Then after a couple years they got a wall tent that we still use today. Pay someone to pack you and the gear in or camp at a trailhead and don't pack in, just hike to a deep nasty , dark drainage . I'm empty handed so far, but that doesn't mean it's been unsuccessful. .Study maps and get in shape

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fully guided or bust.

No other way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fully guided or bust.

No other way.

Nobody said that, at least most on here didn't say it. But it's your ball, so go ahead and take it home with you.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fully guided or bust.

No other way.

You're the one saying it. No one else did.

Geez, get over it. crazy

Last edited by Wyogal; 02/05/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spoke with Jeanne earlier this week.

Booked for 2019 2nd rifle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In a drop camp, it's impossible.

It's the continual bad advice from the 'experts' that irritates me,

Moving from one drop camp to another drop camp is impossible?

Let me inform you, your 'impossible' things are actually quite possible.

I've done it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, it's "usually" impossible.

Just because you were lucky enough to hunt with an outfitter who had another camp open for you to move into doesn't mean that most operate that way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, it's "usually" impossible.

doesn't mean that most operate that way.

Your still assuming, mis-leading and making general blanket statements.

Stop digging.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've gotta keep digging so I don't lose sight of you.

What's the definition of "drop camp?" Does it mean you go to one camp, and if you don't like it the outfitter moves you to another?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gotta keep digging so I don't lose sight of you.

What's the definition of "drop camp?" Does it mean you go to one camp, and if you don't like it the outfitter moves you to another?

I'm actually growing fond of you too,

You've been preaching the whole time you need to be where the Elk are,

I only did what you taught me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Entirely possible ,IF the outfitter has other drop camps empty and is willing to move you.Some will.Some won't.

If the outfitter has packed in the hunters equipment such as tents, cots,etc., and the hunter wants to move,two factors can play in to it. 1. Is the hunter willing to pay the outfitter to move him because the outfitter probably won't do it for free, and 2. If the outfitter has a permit to let him drop camps anywhere.

Most outfitters must set their camps in the locations provided to the FS, when that year's permit is issued. Outfitters without pre located camps with the FS should be suspect.

At least where I hunt, outfitters are not to keen on doing the one where the hunter supplies all gear. Not enough money in it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've only hunted the DIY route and typically packed them out on my back with an occasional rental horse for help. The idea of a drop camp is appealing to me but if the elk aren't there it is just a camping trip. If I sprang for a pack in trip I'd be more likely to go the fully guided route way back in somewhere with big bulls.

Rather than default to fully guided hunt you can go to CO and get a over the counter bull and draw cow tag DIY for less than the price of a drop camp. If you hunt smart and work hard you might get lucky but you will have a much better idea of how to hunt elk on public land. Randy Newberg's Fresh Tracks is my favorite public land hunting show his methods work but there aren't many easy pack outs that way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A

I only did what you taught me.

You're smarter than I thought.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
To summarize:

J Bar H--all booked up
Winterhawk--permits pulled?
Tenderfoot--mixed reviews
Eagle's nest
Kiowa

Anybody else?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To summarize:

J Bar H--all booked up
Winterhawk--permits pulled?Fact, no question about it
Tenderfoot--mixed reviews
Eagle's nest
Kiowa

Anybody else?

Huntinut

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Gristle
I spoke with Jeanne earlier this week.

Booked for 2019 2nd rifle

Kind'a summed it up as to how good she is. Most of those are repeats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and Ms. Horne spoke for 30 mins and I'm ready to hit the trail now. I've heard nothing but good things about her, her operation and how she treats people in normal everyday life. I have talked to people on here that have hunted with her and with people who know her personally and not one person has had an ill word about her.

She had nothing but good to say about you.....

.....and your mules smile

L
LC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

If you're doing 4 guys and $1800 each is top end of your budget, you guys can put together a nice wall tent setup for $2500 and you'll be set for many years of DIY wilderness hunting. That's how it all started with me.

My group hunted with Bar H in 2009. Top notch outfit and we went 2 for 4 (bull and a cow). This was our first elk hunt. We were happy with everything except for the amount of gun shots we heard opening morning (first rifle). We hadn't elk hunted since 2009 until last year. Bought our own wall tent and are going the DIY route. Struck out our first go last year but had a great time and are ready to try again this year.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LC

My group hunted with Bar H in 2009. Top notch outfit and we went 2 for 4 (bull and a cow). This was our first elk hunt. We were happy with everything except for the amount of gun shots we heard opening morning (first rifle). We hadn't elk hunted since 2009 until last year. Bought our own wall tent and are going the DIY route. Struck out our first go last year but had a great time and are ready to try again this year.

That entire Unit12 has a lot of hunting pressure during the rifle seasons. I hunt it only in ML season.They tell me that the old Morapos Creek Camp ground is so crowded that you have to take your own parking space. It isn't a camp ground anymore,just a trail head. Bar H has most of her camps far enough back in that they are not heavily impacted, plus her guides knows all the honey holes

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Gristle
Me and Ms. Horne spoke for 30 mins and I'm ready to hit the trail now. I've heard nothing but good things about her, her operation and how she treats people in normal everyday life. I have talked to people on here that have hunted with her and with people who know her personally and not one person has had an ill word about her.

She had nothing but good to say about you.....

.....and your mules smile

Yea,she is taking her new mule and one she got from me to the Bishop Mule Days in CA this year to compete in the senior packing contest.
Quite a lady.She is out there working with her crew everyday.Sure no stay in camp gal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by greentimber

That will work.I have met a lot of guys that do that.Then when they walk up to an elk they start to try to figure out how to get it out. Th en ext thing you know,they are at my camp or another's asking to pack it out. SO if you choose this route, make recover a big part of your plan.

Not aimed at Greentimber,but a few years back down in Unit 54 there was a guy from TN that after successfully getting his elk,he put the meat in plastic garbage bags.Don't know if the meat was still warm or not, but when he went back to get it,it was spoiled.He told me when he opened the bags he almost puked. Again, know how to take care of you meat and figure out how to get it out

For sure. Plan for success! In fact, KNOW you're going to succeed and know that you won't accept failure. Do whatever it takes before during and after the kill.

RLTW
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone have any experience with D & G Horses and Outfitting? Specially interested in Drop Camps but general information is good as well.

Thanks!

"Socialism produces bad music, bad art, social stagnation and really unhappy people", “I am a conservative, and you may not like that, but I am.” Frank Zappa 1986
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I highly recommend River's Bend Outfitting. They have pretty good success rates in their drop camps. For Meeker being such a hunter populated area we never saw anyone outside our group. We had 7 hunters in camp and we shot 7 elk. Tel and his guys did a great job hauling the elk off the mountain and making us feel at home on the mountain.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
mdv--you and your buddies may want to skip a year of drop camp hunting, save your money and go with an outfitter and learn the ropes. I hunted with an outfitter not far from Ms. Horn, we went 4 for 5 on bull elk with the unsuccessful hunter clicking on an empty chamber on a bull elk at 300 yards. 3 for 3 on buck mule deer, I saw over 30 bucks in two days of hunting. The outfitter charges $3400 for elk and deer, $3250 for elk only, all private ground. Good accommodations, food and guides. Just my .02! I won't disclose my outfitter, sorry, so please don't ask.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the advice. We have hunted drop camps with outfitters 5 times before (not for a few years though) but are looking to upgrade the outfitter and area. Been hunting elk almost every year since 1995 mostly DYI with some success. Got a 7 x 8 bull in archery season in 2009 on publlic land!. I don't want a guided hunt. Nothing wrong with them just not for me.

"Socialism produces bad music, bad art, social stagnation and really unhappy people", “I am a conservative, and you may not like that, but I am.” Frank Zappa 1986
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Tag for later

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve been on two drop camp hunts, basically just paying for a ride in and out and a pack out if we’ get lucky. We have all of our own gear . This year it was our fault that we didn’t bring back meat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My first elk hunts were drop-camp style. Coming from out of state at the time with zero connections in state, and well before everything, including Google Earth, could be found on the internet, it was the only option we had. No regrets at all and it made for some amazing memories. As stated, the experience with a drop camp is amazing, but I would keep any expectations of filling a tag minimal at best. As others have mentioned, you're stuck in one place, there can be other camps (drop and public) very close, and you still don't know the area - as in you will have to explore it all when you get there - no one is guiding you. With a drop camp you are paying for the experience in my opinion with a chance to get lucky and take a shot at an elk. I had multiple chances to kill a legal bull in the camps we tried, I blew them. It was also 22 years ago and hunting in CO was significantly different then. Way less people. One of the rustic trailheads we parked on 22 years ago is now a paved parking lot with bathrooms, free trail maps, and picnic area.

If you want a no hassle, quintessential rocky mountain elk hunt with canvas wall tent and a horse ride in/out. Go for the drop camp.
If you want the quintessential hunt and a good chance a filling a tag, then you'll need to go guided.
If you want some real adventure, then do it yourself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mountain10mm is spot on .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.