Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I met a guy right at 30 years ago in a fried chicken place in a near by large town. It was in late December. Our deer season at that time ran from the 1st weekend in Nov. and ran through the 1st of January. We began to talk about deer hunting. I don't know how many rifles he had nor what caliber/brand of rifle he used. However, he told me he had missed only 2 days of hunting that season and it was only because his wife had been in the hospital for those 2 days. He said it was 2 of the most miserable days of his life...lol. To me, that's pretty serious.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I met a guy right at 30 years ago in a fried chicken place in a near by large town. It was in late December. Our deer season at that time ran from the 1st weekend in Nov. and ran through the 1st of January. We began to talk about deer hunting. I don't know how many rifles he had nor what caliber/brand of rifle he used. However, he told me he had missed only 2 days of hunting that season and it was only because his wife had been in the hospital for those 2 days. He said it was 2 of the most miserable days of his life...lol. To me, that's pretty serious.

somewhat in the same vein, an oldie but a goody...............

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

[Linked Image]

I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.

"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" I asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on hunting equipment?" I asked.

"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't gone hunting in 20 years!"

"Well," I said, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?

I replied, "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/26/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was never more serious or hunted harder than when I was a young man and carried an open sight .30-30 and wore blue jeans and an Army jacket to hunt. Even driving a car to go hunting. I didn't have two nickels to rub together but boy did I fill tags.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

[Linked Image]

I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Well," I said, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?

I replied, "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Fantastic

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Serious fisherman

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora
If you're a serious hunter you have to have a strong social media game. Facebook alone isn't enough and Instagram is a must. You need to be proficient with hashtags and use phrases like "liveforit" and "keephammering" a lot. You need to be able to listen to rap music, wear true religion jeans and flat brimmed hats and a Mohawk or some kind of hair coloring helps to set you apart and let people know that you're "more serious" than the rest. You don't really need to kill anything and you can kill small animals and then hashtag stuff like "organic" and "feedthefamily" because that kind of stuff is important. Don't forget to jump right into shed hunting. Only serious hunters brave waist deep snow when animals are at their most vulnerable to go try to find a dropped antler

I'll just play devils advocate here as I have met some of these type of guys at the various expo's and shows. While their style and approach isn't really my cup of tea, I'm not who they post for. Their target demographic is 18-34 year olds so I missed it by three years. That age group is EXPLODING when it comes to new hunters and these social media hunters are really help to drive that growth. They are exposing a huge population to hunting and making it cool, which is good for us all.

When you look at the sheer numbers these guys are generating it is mind blowing. The guys at HUSHIN will post a video on youtube and in a week it has 100,000 views! Think of that. Any Senator would love to be able to have that kind of reach. Cameron Hanes has THE NUMBER ONE SPORTS PODCAST on Itunes, and he only has 8 episodes. That is crazy. A hunting podcast is beating ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. He mentioned in a interview that he has more viewers in LA and New York City combined than the rest of the country. He couldn't believe it. People in the big cities that traditionally would be ignored by hunting companies are tuning in en masse to listen about hunting.

So while these more visible hunters with their silly flat hats and corny sayings are a little much for most of us, they are influencing a massive amount of people and converting them to hunters - massive as in MILLIONS. We as hunters should never bash other ethical hunters as that plays right into the Anti's agenda. Don't think for a minute had the Democrats won power they wouldn't hesitate to pass all sorts of hunting restrictions. So let these goofy new age hashtaggn youtubing flat brim hat energy drinking hunters do their thing because frankly they are winning the hearts and minds of millions of people for us.

Last edited by STS45; 01/26/17.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you for that. It's good for this old fart to be reminded not to be overly subjective and narrow minded.

ya!

GWB

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Serious fisherman

[Linked Image]

I will take her fishing!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STS45
If you're a serious hunter you have to have a strong social media game. Facebook alone isn't enough and Instagram is a must. You need to be proficient with hashtags and use phrases like "liveforit" and "keephammering" a lot. You need to be able to listen to rap music, wear true religion jeans and flat brimmed hats and a Mohawk or some kind of hair coloring helps to set you apart and let people know that you're "more serious" than the rest. You don't really need to kill anything and you can kill small animals and then hashtag stuff like "organic" and "feedthefamily" because that kind of stuff is important. Don't forget to jump right into shed hunting. Only serious hunters brave waist deep snow when animals are at their most vulnerable to go try to find a dropped antler

I'll just play devils advocate here as I have met some of these type of guys at the various expo's and shows. While their style and approach isn't really my cup of tea, I'm not who they post for. Their target demographic is 18-34 year olds so I missed it by three years. That age group is EXPLODING when it comes to new hunters and these social media hunters are really help to drive that growth. They are exposing a huge population to hunting and making it cool, which is good for us all.

When you look at the sheer numbers these guys are generating it is mind blowing. The guys at HUSHIN will post a video on youtube and in a week it has 100,000 views! Think of that. Any Senator would love to be able to have that kind of reach. Cameron Hanes has THE NUMBER ONE SPORTS PODCAST on Itunes, and he only has 8 episodes. That is crazy. A hunting podcast is beating ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. He mentioned in a interview that he has more viewers in LA and New York City combined than the rest of the country. He couldn't believe it. People in the big cities that traditionally would be ignored by hunting companies are tuning in en masse to listen about hunting.

So while these more visible hunters with their silly flat hats and corny sayings are a little much for most of us, they are influencing a massive amount of people and converting them to hunters - massive as in MILLIONS. We as hunters should never bash other ethical hunters as that plays right into the Anti's agenda. Don't think for a minute had the Democrats won power they wouldn't hesitate to pass all sorts of hunting restrictions. So let these goofy new age hashtaggn youtubing flat brim hat energy drinking hunters do their thing because frankly they are winning the hearts and minds of millions of people for us.

It's all cute until they talk schit about what they learned on Google. Kinda like the tacticool AR crowd talking sniper schit.

But sure, they can do the dirty work. Just stay outta my way 'cause what you're doing ain't "new"....

Luckily, nobody is handing out trophies and animals don't just drop dead because they showed up and "participated". I don't mind a newbie getting his ass kicked, we've all been there.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Not sure what is considered a "serious" hunter, but I once knew this guy, we'll call him Jim. He came from Idaho, along with other folks from all over 24hourcampfire to hunt elk in Oregon.
He hunted as hard as anyone in camp but about the third day it snowed so darned hard we all had to adjourn to camp for a while as hunting was just out of the question. Like most guys in camp that year, when we weren't hunting we were talking about hunting. I think it was about 5 degrees out that day and we were huddled under my trailer awning talking hunting and generally trying not to get completely covered up in snow.( I think 2 feet fell that day and the wind blew hard enough to break the tops out of big pine trees)

So, this fella Jim is so engrossed in talking hunting and telling stories that he didn't even notice that the heater had set his brand new wool hunting pants on fire -while he was wearing them. Well, we got the fire put out and he went right back to telling stories and BS'ng just like nothing ever happened.

Sounds like a serious hunter to me........ wink

Bob
Could be, different folks see different things, but he sounds more like a serious BS'er to me. wink

Ya know, I truly don't mind at all that you and others bring this story up from what was it, 17-18 years ago? Just promise me that you won't sneak into a graveyard some night and inscribe it on my tombstone...

"Here lies Jim in Idaho,
He burned his pants and didn’t know."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RinB, just wanted to reiterate that in no way did I mean this as a comment on your thread or in any way that might give offense.

A few months ago someone posted something in one of the forums above this one about how no serious hunter could have less than this rifle and that rifle and such and I thought back to those dedicated hunters I’ve known, both financially successful and those who couldn’t afford much for whatever reason, and the comment struck me as being pretty arrogant to judge someone by their equipment. I just saw the phrase in your thread title and it reminded me of that post.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a little talk with corprate offices of taco bell. They have wifi, but block this site (and apparnetly every other gun site)
I explained that there are more registered hunters (going by purchased tag numbers) in any three average eastern states, than there are fighting men in the entire US military....."Do you REALLY want to piss off a demographic THAT large?"
(Right now, corporate and managers are blaming eachother, and both swear they will get it fixed.)

Last edited by kellory; 01/27/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Spot on Sonora.

Funny thing was last fall, during hunting season, I had a guy stop while I was fixing a gate leading into our property and ask if he could hunt. I probably would have let him but he had a mohawk and those big-hole in the ear ear rings. He just looked too foreign in these parts for me to say yes. Come to find out maybe he was just more trendy than what I used to seeing?

The most serious hunter I know, doesn't reload and is about as interested in ballistic gack as hitting the day after Thanksgiving sales. He told me reloading takes to much time away from doing hunting stuff. When he isn't hunting he is working non-stop to fund the next self-guided hunt. The way he explained it, it made perfect sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for you Kellory... that is, doing something rather than bitching.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't have a problem with them doing it but they are doing more serious marketing than hunting and I see more self promotion and product promotion than I do sport promotion.

I'm friends with a couple of the guys and they are good dudes but I wouldn't look to them for actual hunting advice as they just aren't that proficient.... yet

Some of those guys are more serious about selfies and hashtags than they are about the actual hunt but I see your point

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't have a problem with them doing it but they are doing more serious marketing than hunting and I see more self promotion and product promotion than I do sport promotion.

I'm friends with a couple of the guys and they are good dudes but I wouldn't look to them for actual hunting advice as they just aren't that proficient.... yet

Some of those guys are more serious about selfies and hashtags than they are about the actual hunt but I see your point

That's pretty much the case with most leisure-time endeavors these days.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I agree. Like I said they aren't doing much for me, but their promoting is helping the community as a whole.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Whether this ol' fart qualifies as a serious hunter, is a matter of conjecture..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

but there are a number of things about which I'm quite serious.........

[Linked Image]

pork chops, hams, loins, ribs

[Linked Image]

venison jerky

ya!

GWB

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Well played...I still have 2 to go as I hunt and still fish a little, but gave up drinking 30 years ago next month. Thanks for the laugh!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.