Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Definitely not using the phrase to disparage RinB's current post nor anyone else's, but I've seen this phrase pop up often and usually in relation to which firearm or caliber one should use.

I know a bunch of people at work who have been hunting since they were old enough to do so, they look forward to going hunting every year which they do without fail and always get their deer and elk. They know where to find the game, they have excellent woodsmanship and tracking skills, they hike way back into the boonies to get it and carry it out.

But almost to a man they have only enough familiarity with their firearms to shoot straight enough to kill the game. Ballistics is an arcane and unnecesary science to them except to know where to sight in. The .30-06, .270, 7mm RM and .300 WM are the only calibers I've heard mentioned, I don't know any who use something that would be "campfire cool". Rifles are mostly factory stock Brownings, Remingtons, Rugers and Winchesters although one guy likes to use his Grandma's handed down sporterized Springfield. Most only have one or two real hunting rifles and maybe a couple of .22's for whistle pigs. One guy had his rifle "glass beaded" (sic) for accuracy but if they own five centerfire and rimfire rifles total that's a lot. The rifle is just a kill stick, something to dispatch the game once they've hunted it. Almost all of them shoot factory ammo, there are only three of us here at work who handload.

On the other hand many of the guys at the rifle range own some pretty esoteric stuff although I don't know what all they use for hunting. I would call them serious rifle loonies and most all of them hunt.

So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter

A furrowed brow and humorless expression.

There are a lot of serious hunters on this site...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

grin That's definitely a plausible definition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sure the phuqq isn't on Instagram

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

grin That's definitely a plausible definition.

I was going to add, most of them can be found up on the Hunters Campfire laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pard in ID that is much like what you describe. Not super savy on gun stuff. He spends his time/effort/money on hunts, both in ID and elsewhere. He probably fits most folks definition of "serious hunter" and a lot here would scoff at the gear he uses and the way he as it setup. Poster's here get the rifle looney description. He's a "hunting looney". And as my free time gets more limited I'm finding that latter looney status is a much more fun pursuit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim your entire description of the guys you work with is what most guys here were before they found the campfire!

Before finding this forum I never even knew what a ballistic coefficient was nor did I care. I never analyzed a scopes ability to return to zero , never looked for the bullet that killed whatever I shot to see how well it held together and I damn sure never turned a turret. This forum in addition to being very expensive can provide a lot of insight and intracies that most hunters don't even think about. I've said it many times on this topic, my father in law is a perfect example of the men you describe. 50 years of killing mule deer, elk,antelope, bear and mt lion from Wyoming to Utah and couldn't even begin to tell you things like the BC of the bullet he was shooting, eye relief on the scope he was using, what bedding a rifle means, etc. Yet he fed his family for several decades on wild game and has killed semi trucks full of elk and deer over those 50 years. I'd don't know that you'd call him a serious hunter, but when feeding the family depended on what he brought home , he was definitely serious about hunting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Actually............there's a lot of serious shooters on this site, most of the serious hunters are more, well, cheerful like.😆

I think serious shooters outnumber serious hunters on the 'fire.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I think you're really trying to differentiate between hunters and shooters. There are a lot of folks in my neck of the woods who take their hunting very seriously. However, they are certainly "not" shooters. You don't have to be a good shooter to be a great hunter, if you have the skills to get close enough just about anything will work, and shot placement is much more difficult to screw up. That being said, I've certainly seen plenty of goat ropes due to lack of marksmanship and knowledge regarding their firearm of choice. Many of them think I'm a little touched when they go by on the river and see my steel hanging out to 1k along the river bank.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Jim your entire description of the guys you work with is what most guys here were before they found the campfire!

Before finding this forum I never even knew what a ballistic coefficient was nor did I care. I never analyzed a scopes ability to return to zero , never looked for the bullet that killed whatever I shot to see how well it held together and I damn sure never turned a turret. This forum in addition to being very expensive can provide a lot of insight and intracies that most hunters don't even think about. I've said it many times on this topic, my father in law is a perfect example of the men you describe. 50 years of killing mule deer, elk,antelope, bear and mt lion from Wyoming to Utah and couldn't even begin to tell you things like the BC of the bullet he was shooting, eye relief on the scope he was using, what bedding a rifle means, etc. Yet he fed his family for several decades on wild game and has killed semi trucks full of elk and deer over those 50 years. I'd don't know that you'd call him a serious hunter, but when feeding the family depended on what he brought home , he was definitely serious about hunting.

Question is:

How far are you from being (going) full circle? I think I'm rounding the bend...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
[quote=AlaskaCub]

Question is:

How far are you from being (going) full circle? I think I'm rounding the bend...

Pretty damn close!.....grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bucket of give a schit done runneth out......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Actually............there's a lot of serious shooters on this site, most of the serious hunters are more, well, cheerful like.😆

I think serious shooters outnumber serious hunters on the 'fire.

Casey

Astute observation Casey.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do you ever actually contribute anything constructive or are you here just to be an ass?

You're certainly allowed to be an ass if you want, it's a free country, but there's a definite pattern to your posts and they all point to you being here just to be an ass.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you ever actually contribute anything constructive or are you here just to be an ass?

You're certainly allowed to be an ass if you want, it's a free country, but there's a definite pattern to your posts and they all point to you being here just to be an ass.

Are you familiar with mohick?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I remember the handle but it's not in my top memory locations - is he reincarnated here?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

16bore was an azz to me a short time ago. I asked him to post pic's, rifle spec's etc.... to prove he was more than an internet commando and all I got was crickets?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is it you want?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was asked to turn in my looney card. smile That's OK by me, I just keep killin critters with my boring 30/06 shooting factory ammo from Walmart.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would classify a serious hunter as someone who goes out in the rain and cold, is always out there well before sunrise, spends lots of time in the off season scouting, never calls a day short, is willing to track game as long as required, etc. Someone who puts in the effort a truly enjoys it. ...not someone who takes an ATV to their box stand, hunts over bait, and pops the first yearling they see.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Many folks do. wink One of the best "serious hunters" I met in my earlier days was a young guy my age who used a Savage 340 .30-30 with the issue open sights, but he was an excellent shot and a deer within 200 yards was dead meat. I went hunting with him after school one day (this was at Utah State) and we had to stop at a local gun store on the way to get a "box of shells". He was in Forestry School like I was but was a local boy and practically knew each deer by name...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

Serious hunters go hunting. They may not know much about guns and shooting, but they hunt every chance they get. They may not hunt out of state, or in other countries, but they hunt, and Opening Day is better than Christmas. I think of our own Allen Day as a classic example of a serious hunter. He was as deep in the weeds on shooting as any of us but it was all in service of actually going hunting.

Frivolous hunters go to the woods for other reasons: to drink, lounge around camp, listen to ball games on the radio, smoke cigars, etc. Some of them don't even leave camp. In fact, when I get stuck hunting with one of these folks, I prefer that they don't--they don't spook the game and there's less chance that I'll have to go rescue their dumb asses.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by okie john

Serious hunters go hunting. They may not know much about guns and shooting, but they hunt every chance they get. They may not hunt out of state, or in other countries, but they hunt, and Opening Day is better than Christmas. I think of our own Allen Day as a classic example of a serious hunter. He was as deep in the weeds on shooting as any of us but it was all in service of actually going hunting.

Frivolous hunters go to the woods for other reasons: to drink, lounge around camp, listen to ball games on the radio, smoke cigars, etc. Some of them don't even leave camp. In fact, when I get stuck hunting with one of these folks, I prefer that they don't--they don't spook the game and there's less chance that I'll have to go rescue their dumb asses.

Okie John

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ RIGHT ^ ^ ^ ^ HERE ^ ^ ^ ^

i'll add that too many that i've seen this day and age
seem to think it's ok to drink and handle firearms.
myself, if i wanted to drink and smoke and listen to
music or watch television, i'd do it from the safety
and comfort of my house.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I remember the handle but it's not in my top memory locations - is he reincarnated here?

No, I don't think so. It's just that mohick really does seem to try to be as dickish as possible.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I agree that the campfire is composed more of rifle looneys than hard core hunters, but we do have our share of the latter..........I love new rifles but I dont reload anymore and that alone takes me out of the serious shooter crowd, I consider Myself a trophy Whitetail hunter thats also a new rifle whore........Lol........Hb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ RIGHT ^ ^ ^ ^ HERE ^ ^ ^ ^

i'll add that too many that i've seen this day and age
seem to think it's ok to drink and handle firearms.
myself, if i wanted to drink and smoke and listen to
music or watch television, i'd do it from the safety
and comfort of my house.

I started to post a similar post on the thread the OP refers to in his opening statement. I agree with these gentlemen. Last year, on THF, there was a guy who said that he could tell who the GOOD hunters were by looking at their stand, feeder, and firearm. It would have been funny if it hadn't stirred me up a little. It seems that many deem a "serious" hunter to be one who travels the world killing all kinds of game. When I was a child here in Louisiana, before hunting clubs and little posted land, there was an old gentleman who killed good bucks every year. He wore no camouflage, shot a single shot 12 gauge, and every year could tell you how many points his opening day buck would have before opening day. He is dead and gone, but he was a serious hunter in my book...as good as it gets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter....

I think you answered it already:

I know a bunch of people at work who have been hunting since they were old enough to do so, they look forward to going hunting every year which they do without fail and always get their deer and elk. They know where to find the game, they have excellent woodsmanship and tracking skills, they hike way back into the boonies to get it and carry it out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a "thread" that runs through your thread. It seems most post about someone else.

Before I went to the physical therapist I could hike and hunt less than three hours before the pain was so great I could hardly make it back to the pickup. I was still as serious as I am now that I can go all day. Hunting is my reason for being in the woods and fields. Some years I seriously hunt for a trophy and pass on lesser bucks. Other years I look for a big bodied deer. When I get a doe tag I try to shoot a spike because they have more meat even if they appear to be the same size. That means I pass on a lot of opportunities to kill something. Of course that changes the last few days of the season when I will take anything legal. Even though I am an old man I still want to fill my tags. That's why I hunt.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Here in Tejas,

[Linked Image]

whether at the range,

or at the lease

[Linked Image]

I keep a sharp eye peeled for "serious hunters"

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=geedubya
[Linked Image][quote]
grin grin
laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geedubya,
Love the hot tub hunting pic.
You arent doin it right tho. Hot tub huntin calls for a stainless rifle. grin

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hungry hunter is a serious hunter.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya

Here in Tejas,

[Linked Image]

whether at the range,

or at the lease

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

That one's got teats!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kingston

That one's got teats!

I'm not serious enough about hunting to eat the horns!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/26/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure I'd even shoot or reload if the thought of finding a nice buck wasn't continually creeping around in the back of my head.

Hunting(and the required practice shooting) is literally my only hobby and I guess I take it somewhat seriously.

$1100 rifle...check

$700 scope/mounts....check

$400 backpack...check

$3000 bino's and spotter...check

$300 tripod...check

$500 LRF...check

$500 GPS...check

$300 boots...check

$200 merino...check

$500 of misc chit....check

Walking around with $7500 worth of junk just to look for a stinkin' deer?!

Mildly serious.

But of course there are guys that have that wrapped up just in a rifle and scope so I guess they are REALLY serious....grin

But it's a drop in the bucket compared to my buddies with $50k walleye boats!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know some serious and very skilled hunters who use some pretty plain Jane gear, but don't think a guy falls out of that category because he becomes a bit of a rifle loony.

Just means he's interested in learning about better tools.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson

And you could buy as much beef as you get from a deer for a few hundred bucks.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what is a serious Hunter? I don't know.
All I can tell you is there are only two seasons..... hunting season and prep for hunting season.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love the list Sam!...Mine looks very similar, but maybe the best hunter I know buy's almost all his hunting gear at Wally World.....lol......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by kellory
what is a serious Hunter? I don't know.
All I can tell you is there are only two seasons..... hunting season and prep for hunting season.
I agree 100%..........Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For me it's elk.

I always maintain, that wonderful All-Natural, Organic, Grass Fed, Non-GMO, Hormone Free Meat is the most expensive on the planet!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I love the list Sam!...Mine looks very similar, but maybe the best hunter I know buy's almost all his hunting gear at Wally World.....lol......Hb

I could sell my crap, "re-outfit" myself from Walmart and not want for much....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Serious hunter? All I can tell you is the few times I've been talked into to playing golf I've spent the day thinking "If only I was carrying a rifle instead of this damned golf bag this would be worthwhile."
Eat, sleep, shoot stuff, repeat.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
16bore,

That's a fun argument. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're a serious hunter you have to have a strong social media game. Facebook alone isn't enough and Instagram is a must. You need to be proficient with hashtags and use phrases like "liveforit" and "keephammering" a lot. You need to be able to listen to rap music, wear true religion jeans and flat brimmed hats and a Mohawk or some kind of hair coloring helps to set you apart and let people know that you're "more serious" than the rest. You don't really need to kill anything and you can kill small animals and then hashtag stuff like "organic" and "feedthefamily" because that kind of stuff is important. Don't forget to jump right into shed hunting. Only serious hunters brave waist deep snow when animals are at their most vulnerable to go try to find a dropped antler

Last edited by huntsonora; 01/26/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Awesome....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
If you're a serious hunter you have to have a strong social media game. Facebook alone isn't enough and Instagram is a must. You need to be proficient with hashtags and use phrases like "liveforit" and "keephammering" a lot. You need to be able to listen to rap music, wear true religion jeans and flat brimmed hats and a Mohawk or some kind of hair coloring helps to set you apart and let people know that you're "more serious" than the rest. You don't really need to kill anything and you can kill small animals and then hashtag stuff like "organic" and "feedthefamily" because that kind of stuff is important. Don't forget to jump right into shed hunting. Only serious hunters brave waist deep snow when animals are at their most vulnerable to go try to find a dropped antler

A-phuqqing-men.

Don't forget the energy drink and the antlers-on-my-back-vast-landscape-selfie. You know, the far away Marlbo man look. Then throw in the chicks and their shrink it and pink it camo.

And don't forget to shave your balls before the season starts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Even this Texican knows a serious hunter when he hunts with one!

[Linked Image]

no snow,

[Linked Image]

but, I'd drive another thousand miles tomorrow to do it again...........

ya!

GWB

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob from NH nailed it for me..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't forget the energy drink and the antlers-on-my-back-vast-landscape-selfie. You know, the far away Marlbo man look.

Still working on that one!

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I almost chit my pants laughing when I read 16Bore wrote "dont forget to shave your balls before season".........Lmfao!!!.......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to add that you can absolutely tell how serious one is by the number of stickers on the persons vehicle. The more stickers they have the more serious they are but that goes without saying. You cannot be considered serious unless you are a member of a "pro staff". Some of you guys might think that the pro stands for promotional but you're WRONG! The Pro stands for professional and don't you guys forget that! Some serious hunters also take supplements like Mtn Ops and they automatically qualify as "professional athletes" now. The list is long my friends, you boys just thought y'all were serious.....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What is a serious hunter? Looking at the threads I guess you could say this escalated quickly (without the usual photo). Seriously I would like to think ~30% of the readers here on the fire fit that category, the rest are here to learn, some actually convey knowledge.......then you have the final group that you fit into the category of dicks.

Last edited by lynntelk; 01/26/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A-phuqqing-men.

Don't forget the energy drink and the antlers-on-my-back-vast-landscape-selfie. You know, the far away Marlbo man look. Then throw in the chicks and their shrink it and pink it camo.

And don't forget to shave your balls before the season starts.

#LMAO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what is considered a "serious" hunter, but I once knew this guy, we'll call him Jim. He came from Idaho, along with other folks from all over 24hourcampfire to hunt elk in Oregon.
He hunted as hard as anyone in camp but about the third day it snowed so darned hard we all had to adjourn to camp for a while as hunting was just out of the question. Like most guys in camp that year, when we weren't hunting we were talking about hunting. I think it was about 5 degrees out that day and we were huddled under my trailer awning talking hunting and generally trying not to get completely covered up in snow.( I think 2 feet fell that day and the wind blew hard enough to break the tops out of big pine trees)

So, this fella Jim is so engrossed in talking hunting and telling stories that he didn't even notice that the heater had set his brand new wool hunting pants on fire -while he was wearing them. Well, we got the fire put out and he went right back to telling stories and BS'ng just like nothing ever happened.

Sounds like a serious hunter to me........ wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
some serious hunters on the eve of opening day!

[Linked Image]

getting ready for the evening festivities

The guy with the crown had just been insatlled as the "puzzy phaggot" for that year.

ya!

GWB

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well Sam Olson, I paid $10,500 for 2 rifles once, about I975 or thereabout.
A "Jefferson" (custom?) .270 built on a M98 action. Nice wood, tack driver. And a factory standard 700 in .243. Never shot all that good. But adequate.

I did get 4 plus (depends on river level) acres of land, boat and motor, buncha hand and power tools, two chain saws, and a half built cabin with stove, bed, bookshelf, and cooking gear in it thrown in for free.... smile

Coincidently enough, both rifles are here in Kotzebue with me, tho the 98 has a different barrel and scope on it now, and the .243 has a self built custom replacement stock currently undergoing minor surgery after 37 years of hard hunting.

Those are my expensive ones1. smile

Last edited by las; 01/26/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gentlemen,
When I used the phrase "serious hunter" I was thinking of someone who spends more time and money planning and going hunting than spending time and money amassing lots of rifles.

One really good hunting rifle chambered for the right cartridge will do most everything. I always chuckle at the guys who are building 375's and bigger for hunts they will never make. I suspect this is the case with guys who have a rifle in every bore size. It is a fine hobby to be rifle accumulators and assemblers but I haven't met any who do both.

Once I looked in my safe and counted parts for 26 builds. I sold everything and started going. That said, I still fool around with rifles but never have more than 3 or 4. One goes before I get another. Right now I have 2 hunting rifles.

I had a 7 RM, one of Echols Legend models. It was reliable and well built. No drama. I let a guy have it who wanted one. Shouldn't have sold it.

I had less in it than the fellas who have 5 or more safe queens. And it got taken everywhere.

Last edited by RinB; 01/26/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Your thoughts, our bow season starts the first weekend in October. Our rifle season ends the first Sunday in January. IIRC, either I was in transit to and from my lease or "afield" forty days during that period (approx 90 days). Would that be considered serious???

GWB

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G, I am jealous but you've earned it!

Someday...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
jmho it's the folks that go out regardless.
the animals stay outside 24/7. can't see
any from camp. can't get up and hit it in
the am when you stay up around the fire
'till the wee hours.

i've killed my best deer when the weather
sucked and i had to talk myself into going
out and staying put.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
G, I am jealous but you've earned it!

Someday...

Thanks SamO, appreciate the sentiment.

I do like to think that I "earn" it. Almost all my hunting is DIY on low-fenced/no fences ranches in Texas.

I had the opportunity to take deer this year but didn't, due to the fact that our deer population is low. We're coming off range clearing that changed the deer habitat/travel areas, several years of drought and a deer die off.

My son is doing well and invited me to his south Texas lease.

It is high fenced. I did not go.

His step-son went one time. They corned the sendero's and set in a side-by-side. He shoots this deer after sitting about 1.5 hours.

[Linked Image]

I've "hunted" all my life and at 65 have never taken a deer of this caliber or quality. I had the opportunity to go three different week-ends. I chose not to, because I am not a high fence hunter, and even though the property is 3,700 acres, IMHO, that's shooting, not hunting. Maybe a point of pride, but I like to think that I earn every critter I choose to shoot!

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It would appear that the TRUE definition of a serious hunter revolves around canyons in every hunting 'story'.

Originally Posted by BobinNH

My observations have been the same.There are reasons for it IMO.

At what distance does it happen? I dunno. blush It depends on too many things.

All the conversation on here taken as truthful, which one do I want in my hands with a long sought permit,or expensive hunt on the line,and a big bull elk across a canyon? confused I'll take the 300 because that's what I have used in those situations.

IMHO,no 308 is capable,ballistically,of hanging with a 300 magnum,even with today's "technology",which benefits both.In the end this is physics,and you don't revoke those rules. frown

That ain't gunna be a pleasant handling rifle. I'd rather a rifle with balance than outright light weight from a practical persepctive. A few ounces here or there is never going to change the course of a hunt. However, i hant a lot of heavily forested areas, and i can tell you rifle handling and balance really can make a difference in that environment. Heavy barrels and actions in lightweight stocks just don't "point".

I think the secret to a good lightweight rifle is to take a bit of weight out of everything, rather than just slimming down one part of the rifle. The weight loss has to be proportional.

Sounds nice in theory....does not work that way.They point like shotguns.Not to blow my own horn,but as an example of how totally "wrong" the assessment is......I have shot quite a few whitetails,and mule deer with such rifles that were not only on the move,but provided fleeting chances..... the last two years ago,a pretty good mule deer at about 75 yards on a full stot.I had little time to react(when I hit him he was in mid leap over a canyon rim. From my angle I did not know this.).A companion 50-60 yards away saw this happen and he figures I had very little time...about like a shot at a grouse in cover.

The shot could not be made with an ill balanced rifle,which is why I don't understand how people can make theoretical comments about the "balance" of a rifle they have neither handled,nor shot,nor killed anything with...and don't own either....more Internet "guessing".

FormiD: Yes I get what you are saying...a variable can be tricky unless you glue yourself to one power and learn the scope....and the reticle is of a style that it's useful for this sort of thing.I could soin a tale about a very big, lifetime type non-typical mule deer in southwest Colorado that got clean missed because my pal(an otherwise good shot)twisted the varible up before taking a good close look at 4X to gauge distance.....that "closer look" told his brain "300 yards",and he shot clear under him....

Again I can't suggest it is anywhere near as precise as a what we have today,and in using that system, I think it became as much intuitive as anything.....kind of like muscle memory as an animal looked "too small" through the scope.Years of peeping through a fixed power scope and a constant sight picture would keep you from making some serious errors in the field as to estimating distance.We did not have the technology to get us over the rough spots.

This is likely why I have yet to kill an elk(or anything else) past 500 yards or so as the style seems not so useful much past that.....I do recall that the bottom post of a 4X Leupold corresponds to a 600 yard POI when a 7mm mag or a 300 mag and the right loads,was zeroed 3" high at 100 smile I know this having shot both many times;so even then, we were using a reticle assist to hit beyond PBR,but of course not as refined as now..

I recall one bull elk where I lay behind the trigger for a half hour,and he filled a bit over 1/2 of the gap of a 4X; I figured him at between 550-600 yards across a big canyon....only a very strong wind kept me from killing him that day.I would not risk the shot in that wind.I am not into "guessing".... smile

With items like the 25/06-120,270-130,7 mag-160, I like 3" high at 100.Such zero puts me POA at 275-300 yards.

A top of the back hold will easily drop a bullet into the chest of deer sized game at 400 yards.From 20 feet to 300 yards hold center of chest.On elk, you are still holding on hair.You can shade slightly at 175-200 and still kill neatly.

This is fast,very uncomplicated;and very useful when a big mule deer buck is slithering through oak brush,distance constantly changing,across a canyon,or a bull elk is moving through screening cover and turning 200 yards into 400 in seconds;or a rutting whitetail buck is hustling across a cut line at 300 yards.

It also works in the woods at under 100,since you are about an inch high at 50 yards, if that...

You might overshoot a coyote at 175 if you don't hold low,but I don't care about coyotes when hunting BG.

This can be modified somewhat with faster stepping magnums or very high BC bullets at magnum velocity,which seem to show more mid range;or for varmints....again, different ball game.

Dots and turrets take over past 400....for me,to that distance or less,they aren't needed.

Safariman: Yes I have seen some times when I got that impression...and then something or several things have happened that made me more confused about the whole cartridge/bore diameter thing than I was before..... eek This is nerve racking!But I try to keep an open mind which is hard sometimes.

One of the fastest black bear kills I have had was with a 280 Remington and a 140 Bitterroot at about 80 yards(he weighed about 300 pounds later on scales); no running gear involved, pure rib/lungs/rib,but the bear was down to the shot and never got up...among many we shot, two of the toughest recoveries came from bears hit a smidge far back with a 340 Weatherby and a 257 Roberts.....

Three companions spread out in an oak brush canyon on an elk hunt we were on....and by good fortune they each got cracks at bulls...These were not really long range shots, maybe in the 250-350 yard range,and when the melee was over all 3 elk were dead.Funny thing was one was armed with a 340 Weatherby, another with a 300 Win Mag, and the third a 7 Rem mag.....I carried a 300 mag a lot in those days, either Winchester or Weatherby,and used both with good success...another bull on another hunt,gave me a bit of a problem with a 300 Weatherby.I chased him down and killed him,jumping him from his bed,injured but still very much alive.

There are more of these "experiences" but these come to mind...

In reconciling this stuff over the years,it dawned on me that the biggest single factor that made things go from "simple" to "rodeo",and distinguished these experiences,was...... bullet placement . I noticed that the truly spectacular kills, with any of the cartridges, depended on putting a good bullet in pretty exactly the right spot.

It makes sense to me that certain bullets (not all) of 30,338,358 and 375 caliber of heavier weight,tougher construction,and greater cross sectionl areas, should do a better job of breaking heavy bones,tearing up more flesh and tissue,and creating more trauma,than smaller calibers..(if this were not true,we'd shoot Cape Buffalo with 243's)...but it also seems that some (not all) bullets of (say) 6.5, 270, and 7mm,also do a good job at this stuff,and while they may lack the weight of the bigger stuff,their construction lets them inflict enough wounding capability to overwhelm the life support systems of a pretty wide range of game animals,if properly placed.

Bullet placement and construction seem to be the equalizers,and the shooters ability to direct a bullet where it needs to go is paramount,whether,from a big cartridge or a smaller one...the reason I don't get too excited anymore over the "differences" between a (for example)270 and a 280AI or 30/06.

For some shooters, excessive recoil gets in the way of the placement equation;and some have the "bigger is better" mentality but at the same time do not have the training and practice levels to extract full value from a bigger, heavier recoiling rifle..They mistakenly buy the bigger cartridge,and expect dramatic results,even if they can't shoot it well(They also frequently kid themselves about their ability to do so)......these are the guys in search of magical effect from rifles and cartridges, thinking the magic is in the caliber,the headstamp,and the power...it isn't. It's in the bullets, and where they go that matters most.

I think this is why you saw what you saw,and what many of us have seen over the years. My 2 cents.... wink smile

My elk experience pales in comparison to Dober's.....that said, I can give the non-resident perspective on bullets...and this from someone who does not live where the elk live, never get to see them except when I travel west; and for whom an elk hunt anywhere is a time consuming,and therefore, expensive event,whether in time, or moola.....

First off, when you start to plan that first hunt, you do not know what works...you rely on advise....some of it good, and some bad. Some from people with lots of elk experience, and some from people with none.

Plus you may have grown up having to endure the contradictory writings of JOC and Elmer Keith. So you wonder "Just how tough are these damned animals?" confused ...

So,in cartridges, we want to ere on the large side.....with boolits,we are comfortable with "more than good"....

Plus,with so many bullets,you would have to have the income of a Goldman Sachs Senior VP under Obama to gain the experience with enough of them to draw an objective conclusion....what I am getting at is a conscientious guy wants to do a good job, does not want to look like a shmuck when the moment of truth arrives and your guide or local pal is screaming "SHOOT!" and you have this 700-800 pound animal that is far larger than anything you have ever seen......plus, he is across a canyon far enough that,even to your untrained eyes and despite his size....,he looks like a fly climbing a wall across a room.To compound troubles,he is sorta quartering away.....

So,when it came time to get an elk rifle(not realizing I already had one..),I split the baby between JOC and Keith,and listened to Bob Hagel....I screwed a 10 twist 24" Krieger barrel into a pre 64 H&H action,chambered it for 300 Win Mag, and used Nosler Partitions,and Bitterroots...cause Bob said to.....this was followed soon by a 300 Weatherby with the same components, and then a 300H&H.The elk bounced so hard their molars cracked....

As I went on more elk hunts with more people, I noticed the locals were more lax about bullets and cartridges...100 gr Silvertips from 250 Savage,25/06 with 120 Corelokts,270's with 130 Sierra's,30/06 with PP's,7 mags with BT's,300 mags and Hornady's,etc etc.I traced the wound channels to find things out...from obviously dead elk....so I know guys like Dober and Flinch, are right.....and the learning process continues....

Since I don't have the income of a Goldman Sachs VP,and still have to travel 4000 miles round trip to see an elk,and know in my limited experiences what has worked for me, my elk cartridges are and will be,loaded with Partitions and BBC's...not because they are the only answer, but because I know,personally, what happens to elk when these bullets hit them. smile

Just the perspective of a non-resident elk hunter...I defer to the guys who know what else works,have lived among the elk and have shot more of them than I have.... wink

SLM: Actually not a real lot of bulls per day.It was pretty tough.....

We hunted in January....after the rut hunts, after the tribal hunts, etc....and elk were scattered over 1.5 million acres,ie about the size of Rhode Island.They were timbered up and thinly scattered over big country.

This was back in January 1990 IIRC,when the place was managed a bit differently and there were not quite so many elk I suspect,although I don't know exactly what it is like today.

Back then,few knew about the place,it was yet "undiscovered' or not so well known,and it was very uncrowded,but the hunts poorly organized, and the "guides" were,well......not really knowledgeable, but required by tribal law.It was frustrating because I constantly had to prod information from mine.He knew little of elk and elk hunting and was there to keep me from getting lost and that's about "it".I was pretty much on my own with him. I am certain things are much improved today.

I never did kill a bull....after 9-10 days of hard work and covering ground from Malay Gap to the Dry Lake,on foot, truck and horseback, I found the kind of bull you go there to see.....he was way across a yawning canyon at about 600 yards, near as I could tell using the scope to gauge distance(pre-LRF).I felt I could deal with the distance but not the wind which was full value and leaning Ponderosa pines over that day.I did not want to wound him.

I crossed the canyon,which took two hours,got within 50-60 yards of him,but blew him out of his bed in the heavy oak brush.I can still see those antlers above the oak brush. eek

He was far larger than any elk I had ever seen...he made any 350 class bull I had previously seen look "ordinary"..likely he would have grossed book with room to spare.

Not long after that hunt, the place "took off",became prohibitively expensive;I have not been back.What it is like today I can't say.....but true monsters live there, no doubt.

The place also has a population of very big Coues deer.I was fascinated with the country and the reservation.It is quite a place.

I have noticed that when your boot soles are hanging over thin air on this side of the canyon.....and the elk is on the other side...it is kinda tough to stalk on thin air,except through the forces of divine intervention.

Hiking down one side, and up the other to get closer,is an option,of course....but things rarely look the same when you get there,as the screening cover and folds in the land that were not apparent before, suddenly make them selves known;you do your best,but elk are smarter than us.....ask me how I know.I can still see a B&C elk rack making rooster tails of oak brush leaves and twigs after he detected me at 40 yards,after I hiked over, instead of shooting from the far canyon. frown cry

This does not mean we have tacit license to shoot wildly,and beyond sure kill distance for us.....but the ability to hit effectively at distance can be a hunt saver,and is a perfectly legitimate part of the hunt.Let your conscience and skill sets guide you wink

I always get in trouble when I start "comparing" cartridges....and going through the excrutiating, mind-numbing process of discerning tiny differences; but to some degree this is inevitable because there are so many of them and I think AGW hit the nail squarely when he implied that the range of animals we mostly hunt pretty easily succumb to most of them...(at least I think that is what he was saying). smile

Cartridge discussions tend to eventually come around to "numbers", and bullistic tables,and I think in our minds this tends to make us think that 200-300 ft lbs more or less of energy,or 4-6" more or less of drop or wind drift are really significant and make one thing "better" or superior to the other...(the 270 vs 280 discussions come to mind;Good Grief!)..these discussions tend to create a rift between theory and reality.

And one of the biggest mistakes I see guys make(particulalrly younger, inexperienced hunters)is buying/choosing rifles and cartridges based on "power",in the mistaken belief that bigger is better,and this cartridge or that will make up for careless and indifferent bullet placement....this rarely works very well.

...but in a practical sense this all falls by the wayside when you watch a 350 pound mule deer absolutely flattened by a 270 or a 280 across a canyon 300-400 yards away...or, the same thing happens when you use a 30/06,7x57,or 7mm Rem Mag. "Comparisons" become hard to justify.....

You begin to develop a deeper appreciation for the enormous destructive capability you are holding in your mitts with any of them....or the circus that ensues if you don't point a 300 magnum or 338 Win Mag or 375H&H correctly at a bull elk or brown bear...or the way any of them cause animals to simply whither if you use a good bullet and put it in the right place.

In the end, rifles and rifle cartridges are simply launching pads for bullets....bullets do the killing,and since the rifles have to be "driven" by human beings,the two have to be housed together in a platform that is reasonably comfortable for the driver....it can't weigh too much or too little;it can't recoil excessively or accuracy suffers;it has to be transportable,and capable of being fired accurately from a host of field positions,and all these characteristics are going to be different from one person to the next.....yet the bullets fired in it have to be adequately heavy and of proper construction to be lethal on the intended game(opinions vary here),and started at high enough velocity for adequately flat trajectory to assist in good bullet placement and terminal effect.

For example, I used to be a huge fan of various 300 magnums(still am!)...I found them flat shooting (important to me),powerful,versatile,and with long reach,and the bullets suited to a wide range of game animals.I shot and hunted with them a lot,and at various times had a 300 Weatherby, 300 Win Mag, and 300 H&H.... all at the same time! ,which of course is nuts but doing too much "comparing" will lead to these silly results....I think the 300's are splendid.I had similar overlap having 270's, 280's,7x57's and 7/08's,etc.

But over time,I used the 300's less and less,and today own none.....why?....because as a platform,they had to be heavier than I like if recoil was to be kept in check,making them less comfy to lug around in mountains....barrels too long in order to burn great gobs of powder,making them a bit unhandy in the brush...you get the picture.

Rather than tell you what I don't like, I'll say what I do like,this for the general run of big game,and I'll be specific.YMMV smile

I like the 270,280,7x57,and 30/06.I like any of these in a rifle of app 6.5 to 7.5 pounds with a 22" barrel.I have used the the 270 and 30/06 the most,but I'd be happy with any of them.

As something of a step up in bullet weight and/or trajectory and velocity, I like the 7RM,and (recently)the 7mm Mashburn,because I like the moderate recoil,high velocity with heavy 7mm bullets,flat trajectory,and relatively modest powder consumption in a rifle weighing 7.5-8 pounds.I'm aware of the (sometimes) abherrant behaviour of the 7RM but have owned so many I know how to build one that works well,and what to realistically expect of the cartridge.The Mashburn seems to pick up where the 7RM leaves off,without being "excessive".There are no flies on a 175 gr 7mm bullet at almost 3100 fps.....Both cartridges seem to kick less than the normal 300 magnum;shoot just as flat.Do they kill as well? You answer that..... grin I know some very experienced hunters who think so...

If I were a short action maven(I'm not)I like the 7mm WSM and the 300 WSM.

In a flea weight 5 pound rifle I would take a 7/08 over anything else.

In anything below 270 caliber I'll take a light 257 Roberts,without regard to whether a 6.5 or 6mm would be "better". That said I plan to build a 6XC for paper punching and varmint hunting,but it will be a heavier rifle.

Above 30 caliber I don't have much use for anything except an 8 pound 375H&H....

Above 375 I really don't know.I have fired 416's and 458's and regard both as specialized tools for pro's or others who might have to stop large beasts at rock throwing distances.If I lived in Africa and hunted there a lot I would have one of these.

This an interesting thread,and there is little in the above two posts I can find to disagree with....at least I can understand pretty much where Dober and ULA are coming from.YMMV.

First let's dispense with the "class envy" nonsense because IME trophy hunters can come from all walks of life,and all sorts of income levels,and whether your "expenditures" amount to "time and sweat equity", or "cash" or both,your objectives are the same...ditto whether the objective is a Marco Polo ram, or an out sized mule deer or elk in a once in a lifetime unit....unless you get really "lucky",you will not kill an exceptional male animal anywhere without a big dose of effort, money, or both...I know some good trophy hunters....none of them are "lucky";and most cannot stroke big checks....

You are looking for a rare opportunity at an animal that you may never have the chance to kill again.That chance may come after a week to two weeks(or more if you have taken repeat trips for the same species)of hard hunting and you may have in the process passed up several to dozens of animals that might not live up to your standards.

Large males of a species are rare,tend to be pretty elusive creatures, and do not provide the highest percentage of set up shots that lesser males do.Anyone who has spent any time looking for even a mature, outsized whitetail buck or mule deer or blacktail knows this very well...if they were at all easy, many folks would have taken scads of them,have walls full of them, and we know that is not the case.They also "behave" differently from the lesser males and females of a species...if a hunter does not immediately recognize this, he has really not spent much time trying to kill one,on purpose.

Set up shots will be rare,they will be encountered briefly,and adjacent to rough and or thick country and at unknown distances, frequently with mere seconds to react and get off a shot...opportunities may be fleeting.

So regardless of species, we are dealing with something very hard to find that will be very elusive, not far froms creening cover or rough country,with little time to get it done

We all know intuitively or through experience that rifles chambered for standard cartridges will kill these same animals very well under normal circumstances.....we also know intuitively that when distances are long,a case of larger capacity propels heavier bullets at higher velocity than standard cases.There is no mystery to any of this...it's just physics.

Shot angles may be difficult, distances long,or very short, or anywhere in between.By this I am not suggesting ass-shooting anything,nor shooting beyond your limitations. What I am suggesting is that, so long as a guy can manage it, there may be some advantage to soemthing like a 300 Weatherby shooting a 200 gr bullet, to a 308 shooting a 165; or a 7 mag fo some variety using a a 175 gr bullet over (say) a 7/08 with a 140.

Both the bigger cases can be zeroed for a longer PBR than the smaller cartridges;the heavier bullets,given similar construction may penetrate deeper and anchor heavy game with more authority.Both these things may come in pretty handy when the bull elk or outlandish mule deer you've been looking for on that rare Arizona permit shows up 400-500 yards across a canyon after 8-10 days of hard hunting;and you have under 10 seconds to kill or he is gone...it has happened to me more than once,and at such times a lot of the ballistic debates go out the window.

It may be more about the Indian than the arrow, but it's equally true that there are differences in arrows;and the Indian with the bigger arrow might hold the very narrowest of advantages under very adverse conditions,which is all we are really talking about here.....

I never blame people for being a bit overgunned in anticipation of such circumstances, if they can honestly manage the rifle,and everyone has to make that honest determination for himself based on his own shooting and hunting experiences and extensive practice. smile

Saddlesore, seems I recall a picture of a very nice bull you killed in a limited draw unit a couple years ago.... wink

Congrats! Ego? In your case I doubt it.....but even if I thought so, I wouldn't say it.

Are you any more proud of that animals than I am of the one's I've killed? I doubt it. wink

Pay and pull a trigger? Never been on a hunt like that....about half my western hunts have been DYI; the other half outfitted.My experience has been that in many instances, guides were not much help at all.....sometimes a great deal of help.

Not everyone who pays to hunt strolls into a fenced canyon and rolls a bull.....some of us actually "hunt".

Yeah it costs me a lot of money even unguided,to hunt the west each year and I am not gonna apologize to anyone for it because I have tried to do it cheaply and it STILL costs lots of money...I have to get there and back, pay for meals trespass fees where applicable,etc;some places I pay nothing at all,processing game and getting it home.,etc.

Some of my best hunts have been the cheapest ones.....

I'm also self employed...so time away costs me in lost income PLUS the cost of the hunt....double whammy.

Do I do it because of ego? No....I do it because I love it,and have been for over 30 years.....So do many others.....If you guys don't know the difference,then you don't like to hunt half as much as I suspected you did.

If I lived there it would be different....but I don't and neither do thousands of others who hunt guided and unguided,all over the world.

What annoys me is people criticisizing other people because of where they live, grew up,and what they have to do to hunt in distant locales...painting everyone with a broad brush and its' never complimentary....directed toward belittling others to make themselves feel somehow....superior...THAT's ego....

I understand where Ramblin Razorback is coming from insofar as new technology is concerned, but would argue a bit that the technology has not taken us quite that far yet;and the notion that people are just now getting around to killing elk with smaller calibers is somewhat erroneous....and insofar as Bob Hagel being "wrong"when it comes to elk cartridges.....well the animals have not changed at all;neither have the general conditions under which they are shot.

And "yes"velocity is still important,and so is flat trajectory because the elk are not targets, nor steel gongs that wait patiently while you sort things out with a rangefinder.Not that they aren't very useful,but I think some common sense should apply,because they don't always "work",nor is there always time, and then you are back to the old ways and you better know how to handle it or don't shoot.

So I would think long and hard before tossing anything Hagel had to say out in the trash;as if the current crop of writers have something over him and his advise,which they don't......as he likely had a lot more experience actually killing big bull elk than many gunwriters around today(not all, but many).

Clear back to the antideluvian 80's I recall diggin around elk carcasses to find the spent 100 gr bullets fired into elk for pretty quick, sure kills with the 250 Savage and 257 Roberts to assess damage.A 243 is not going to do anything these two don't do....

I had the same opportunity on elk I shot myself,and many more shot by others.....and the difference between what a 30 cal or 7mm or 338 does to them,and what is done by the smaller cartridges is of 6mm isdistinguishable and substantive in terms of penetration, wound channels, ability to break bone and drive through heavy muscle.A 6mm 100 gr bullet is still a 6mm 100 gr bullet,and regardless of the technology applied,(which does nothing more than effect rate of expansion and depth of penetration)it is only capable of doing"so much";there is no magic imbued by the technology, even today,or at least not as much as many would beleive reading some stuff on here.

And there is a world of difference between sniping a yearling cow that has wondered into a hay meadow in the open;and dealing with a big herd bull across some brush filled Idaho canyon that's steep as a chalet roof where one jump puts him in the jungle,or having to kill him at a tough angle on your side of the same canyon in thick timber.She will be far lighter,in the open,can be shot "just so",and likely won't get out of sight before she falls.The big bull will be far larger, have heavier bone and muscle,and while he can be killed with the 243 there are just better tools for the job,even within the given recoil constraints,say a 260 or 6.5x55.

Here, the OP is looking for a cartridge for his GF;likely a less experienced shooter with recoil considerations and wants to keep her on a cartridge with which she is comfortable and shoots well,so those are the constraints.But that still doesn't make it the best choice, or even a particularly good one,and I'd be inclined to graduate her to at least a 6.5 of some sort,which will kick mildly but throw a bit more flack in the form of more bullet weight. I've put a 14 year old girl on a 270 and had her throwing strikes at 300 yards the first time out....the experience was so much fun for her that she wanted to do it again.

So in my very humble opinion, I'd say load the best,toughly constructed bullet he can get,get the elk in the right position,and everything should be fine.For others without the constraints,I'd say they should listen pretty carefully to what Hagel had to say about elk cartridges.Internet theory and what happens in the hunting fields rarely jive.

Do enough hunting and eventually you will run into one of those "do or die" situations where it is impossible or impractical to get closer.It might be that you are married to the tree stand,and you know leaving it will mean the buck will not be there or is unapproachable.So the ability to hit well at long distance can save your bacon.Back here in the northeast I've had that happen at about 300 yards,and at 380 yards.

Or it could be like someone already said,where conditions of terrain or circumstances preclude closing distances,because your feet are hanging over a cliff with nothing but canyon below them,so it's either shoot from where you are,or climb over there to ambush.I've done it both ways.

Many assume that because you can "see" a long ways in much western country that game will always be taken at great distance,but this is not always true.Much western country has a lot of relief and contour,and frequently this can be used to mask a sneak,and get within certain range.

What constitutes "long range" has more to do with the skill,experience, judgement,preparation,and discretion of the shooter than the gear he carries, I think.

I know some people for whom long range is the distance at which they have never fired a rifle,and know quite a few who own 300 magnums and have never shot them at over 200 yards.For them, shooting beyond that distance would be the same as me entering a NASCAR race after practicing with VW Bug.

As mule deer points out above guided hunts run the gamut.....I've been on numerous guided hunts,and at least as many unguided;some on public land and some on a mix of public and private.None of them were what I would call a "slam dunk" in termes of getting game,except that if I wanted to shoot "any buck", I certainly could have;but being selective on some of these hunts I worked pretty hard,and frequently came home with an unpunched tag.

One of my two largest mule deer was killed, unguided,but only after 8 days on the mountain and having passed on a good many decent 4x4's before I busted a big NT out of a canyon at the top of the mountain.Another big one was killed on a guided hunt but I was very much alone when I got him.

In northern Canada where I hunt mule deer,I have been technically "guided" but the reality is I am dropped off each day to work out the river breaks on my own,on foot.....and on one memorable elk hunt on a 1.5 million acre resrevation(the size of Rhode Islad)I had a guide with meto help me find my way around but the "hunting was done by me as the "guide" knew little of hunting elk or anything else.He did keep me from getting lost,though.I saw the biggest bull of my life,did not get him,came home "empty",and lost 15 pounds in 10-12 days of hard hunting...I would classify that hunt as "fair chase"..

So generalizations about guided hunts are very hard to pin down and I have never been on a guided hunt where I was not expected to contribute to the deal in some material way,and guides are certainly no guarantee that you will be at all successful.Some can be rocking-chair easy,but on many I have had to work pretty hard for what I got.

I prefer it this way and will not look twice at a hunt pitched as a "guarantee".

bigwhoop:A 500 yard mule deer was previously wounded by a companion...I administered the coup de grace.

The other two kills at that distance were both elk,and there was no route for a closer opportunity...it was do or die from there,but I was comfy with those shots,having shot a good deal to that distance and beyond..conditions were good and I had prepared for the contingency.It worked out OK.

Conversely, I have walked away from a pretty large buck at 550(lazed);too late in the day to risk it;....and the biggest elk I will likely ever have a crack at in AZ;distance was 550-600 but the wind was howling....I passed and spent two hours crossing the canyon,closed to about 50 yards,and could not get a shot through the oak brush.....he was an easy B&C candidate and I'm certain he's dead by now...but it was not meant to be for me that day. frown

Scott thanks for posting!

These bucks were all taken last week in Wyoming.John's buck is the top one, a heavy,old 3x3 which I think is really cool.We caught him on a brushy hillside at about 400 yards,and John killed him with a M70 Classic in 280 Remington.Load was a Federal factory 140 TSX.

Next two pics are the buck I killed....Matt spotted this buck from long range in a patch of buckbrush on a high plateau which dropped off into a series of draws and canyons on the backside.Matt and I went after him,and got within 80 yards or so.....he came barreling by me at about 70 yards through the brush,on the run.

With about two seconds to size things up before he got down into the canyon, I killed him with an off-hand shot at about 70 yards.He was hit through the spine behind the shoulders,and collapsed at the shot.

The third buck was killed by Matt.We spotted this buck maybe 700-800 yards away,10 minutes after I had killed mine.I looked the buck over quickly;saw good frame and a large body and suggested Matt go after him....Matt took off down through the country,flopped prone at 380 yards,and killed him in 3 shots.

Both Matt and I used pre 64 M70 FW's in 270 Win;load was the 130 Partition and 61-H4831.His rifle had a Bansner stock and 2-7 Leupold.Mine a McMillan Compact Edge and 2.5-8 Leupold.Everything worked fine,as expected.

All three bucks were aged at 5 1/2 years old or older, which was nice. Overall I think we did pretty good!A little luck sure doesn't hurt! smile

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cousin and my last deer lease was a "serious" compound. A 1700 acre pasture, a dozen box stands, a 3BR trailer for sleeping, another trailer for cooking, a mess hall, storage, and a place to sleep guests, and an ice house, and finally a fleet of jeeps that usually needed repair. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, fishing tackle, and stuff to support year round enjoyment. I think that is what you are alluding to as serious.

On the other hand, when I was making entry level pay, had a wife and two young daughters, day hunted as invited, used the company car back and forth, and hunted with a borrowed gun, that was SERIOUS. My family needed the meat! I generally took my limit in does or fork horns. They are better eating.

Just my take on the reality of life.....

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A SERIOUS hunter also has to be able to recognize ENVY in lesser people

Originally Posted by Calvin
Funny thread.

When thinking of new rifles, a Winchester never crosses my mind. They offer nothing that appeals to me.

As for the younger generation, they are doing just fine. They've figured out that they'd rather spend their resources on actual hunts, tags, good clothing/gear, and gym memberships. Expensive rifles must be kept in very good condition to retain value, and the appeal of doing hunts that keep rifles in very good condition don't have appeal to many.

Funny post.

You don't really expect anyone to believe that the price difference between a $800 M70 and a $300 Savage POS will keep anyone from going on a hunt do you? smile

In a day and age when these luminaries spend $150 a month on a cell phone, the idea that a $800 dollar rifle (one time expenditure) is too expensive, is laughable.

Or that "smart" guys" are scraping the bottom of the equipment barrel with a cheap rifle and likely topping it with a blister pack scope,is an expression of sage wisdom. Hilarious.

Who exactly cares about keeping a hunting rifle brand new and how is that a factor?

I see these miracle millennials at the range with their cheap rifles,and they are neither great shots, astute riflemen,and tend to be rookies who don't know what they are doing.

If the cost spread between a M70 and an RAR is keeping you from hunting you need a more lucrative job....but don't expect me to believe you're some kind of sage/wise genius. That's ridiculous.

This class envy stuff cracks me up but otherwise intelligent people fall for it all the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a sad human being.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What a sad human being.

Don't be too hard on Bob, I know it goes against you c&nt instinct.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What a sad human being.

That would be "your cunnt instinct."

Drunkenness is a genuine impairment for you as we both know.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What a sad human being.

That would be "your cunnt instinct."

Drunkenness is a genuine impairment for you as we both know.

Yea, you're a brilliant fu*cking liberal. I'm about as drunk as you are conservative.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I know for sure a post from Brad has disappeared into thin air....

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. Because Scot knows what he is. He needs no reminder from me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just trying to figure out how you did that....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll be damned...

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
It seems that many deem a "serious" hunter to be one who travels the world killing all kinds of game.

That can often not mean much, except they just have the luxury of more time and money than most. Being driven around in a toyota
with game scouts and other staff who make life easy by doing forward tracking/footwork for you ,carry your pack, do your caping,
carry your trophy etc, ...a PH who will clean up any inept clients shooting mess , camp workers prepping meals, washing your clothes,
changing your sheets, cold beer waiting in the fridge on return, etc ..none of that automatically make one a serious learned hunter.

But all that doesn't stop relatively spoilt recreational shooters venturing to Africa from thinking they are something special.

Robert Ruark wrote that he went out for a tough mornings hunt, but was driven back to camp by 1 pm for his relaxing bottle of gin.
that is what I consider frivolous.

Id rather just see the simple joy on a child's face rabbit hunting that listen to cashed up flogs bragging about their exotic trips
to Africa and Mongolia and their SCI trophy ranking.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Just trying to figure out how you did that....

Greg - I gather that 'someone' told you how HE made a post disappear.

I know how to do that but you have to be quick. It's easy enuff but you can't delay. Yaknowhatimean, Vern?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I do like to think that I "earn" it. Almost all my hunting is DIY on low-fenced/no fences ranches in Texas.

...It is high fenced. I did not go.

I chose not to, because I am not a high fence hunter,GWB

S A L U T E, gw. My hat's off to ya.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A guy that stays out all day on stand w/a pocket full of jerky and a thermos of water. When he hunts he is focused and single minded. When he comes home he is a Husband and Father. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr
A guy that stays out all day on stand w/a pocket full of jerky and a thermos of water. When he hunts he is focused and single minded. When he comes home he is a Husband and Father. powdr

Yeah, a guy sitting on a stand is exactly what comes to my mind when I think of a "serious hunter."

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I met a guy right at 30 years ago in a fried chicken place in a near by large town. It was in late December. Our deer season at that time ran from the 1st weekend in Nov. and ran through the 1st of January. We began to talk about deer hunting. I don't know how many rifles he had nor what caliber/brand of rifle he used. However, he told me he had missed only 2 days of hunting that season and it was only because his wife had been in the hospital for those 2 days. He said it was 2 of the most miserable days of his life...lol. To me, that's pretty serious.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I met a guy right at 30 years ago in a fried chicken place in a near by large town. It was in late December. Our deer season at that time ran from the 1st weekend in Nov. and ran through the 1st of January. We began to talk about deer hunting. I don't know how many rifles he had nor what caliber/brand of rifle he used. However, he told me he had missed only 2 days of hunting that season and it was only because his wife had been in the hospital for those 2 days. He said it was 2 of the most miserable days of his life...lol. To me, that's pretty serious.

somewhat in the same vein, an oldie but a goody...............

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

[Linked Image]

I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.

"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" I asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on hunting equipment?" I asked.

"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't gone hunting in 20 years!"

"Well," I said, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?

I replied, "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was never more serious or hunted harder than when I was a young man and carried an open sight .30-30 and wore blue jeans and an Army jacket to hunt. Even driving a car to go hunting. I didn't have two nickels to rub together but boy did I fill tags.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

[Linked Image]

I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked,"If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Well," I said, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?

I replied, "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Fantastic

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Serious fisherman

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'll just play devils advocate here as I have met some of these type of guys at the various expo's and shows. While their style and approach isn't really my cup of tea, I'm not who they post for. Their target demographic is 18-34 year olds so I missed it by three years. That age group is EXPLODING when it comes to new hunters and these social media hunters are really help to drive that growth. They are exposing a huge population to hunting and making it cool, which is good for us all.

When you look at the sheer numbers these guys are generating it is mind blowing. The guys at HUSHIN will post a video on youtube and in a week it has 100,000 views! Think of that. Any Senator would love to be able to have that kind of reach. Cameron Hanes has THE NUMBER ONE SPORTS PODCAST on Itunes, and he only has 8 episodes. That is crazy. A hunting podcast is beating ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. He mentioned in a interview that he has more viewers in LA and New York City combined than the rest of the country. He couldn't believe it. People in the big cities that traditionally would be ignored by hunting companies are tuning in en masse to listen about hunting.

So while these more visible hunters with their silly flat hats and corny sayings are a little much for most of us, they are influencing a massive amount of people and converting them to hunters - massive as in MILLIONS. We as hunters should never bash other ethical hunters as that plays right into the Anti's agenda. Don't think for a minute had the Democrats won power they wouldn't hesitate to pass all sorts of hunting restrictions. So let these goofy new age hashtaggn youtubing flat brim hat energy drinking hunters do their thing because frankly they are winning the hearts and minds of millions of people for us.

Last edited by STS45; 01/26/17.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you for that. It's good for this old fart to be reminded not to be overly subjective and narrow minded.

ya!

GWB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Serious fisherman

[Linked Image]

I will take her fishing!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STS45

I'll just play devils advocate here as I have met some of these type of guys at the various expo's and shows. While their style and approach isn't really my cup of tea, I'm not who they post for. Their target demographic is 18-34 year olds so I missed it by three years. That age group is EXPLODING when it comes to new hunters and these social media hunters are really help to drive that growth. They are exposing a huge population to hunting and making it cool, which is good for us all.

When you look at the sheer numbers these guys are generating it is mind blowing. The guys at HUSHIN will post a video on youtube and in a week it has 100,000 views! Think of that. Any Senator would love to be able to have that kind of reach. Cameron Hanes has THE NUMBER ONE SPORTS PODCAST on Itunes, and he only has 8 episodes. That is crazy. A hunting podcast is beating ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. He mentioned in a interview that he has more viewers in LA and New York City combined than the rest of the country. He couldn't believe it. People in the big cities that traditionally would be ignored by hunting companies are tuning in en masse to listen about hunting.

So while these more visible hunters with their silly flat hats and corny sayings are a little much for most of us, they are influencing a massive amount of people and converting them to hunters - massive as in MILLIONS. We as hunters should never bash other ethical hunters as that plays right into the Anti's agenda. Don't think for a minute had the Democrats won power they wouldn't hesitate to pass all sorts of hunting restrictions. So let these goofy new age hashtaggn youtubing flat brim hat energy drinking hunters do their thing because frankly they are winning the hearts and minds of millions of people for us.

It's all cute until they talk schit about what they learned on Google. Kinda like the tacticool AR crowd talking sniper schit.

But sure, they can do the dirty work. Just stay outta my way 'cause what you're doing ain't "new"....

Luckily, nobody is handing out trophies and animals don't just drop dead because they showed up and "participated". I don't mind a newbie getting his ass kicked, we've all been there.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Not sure what is considered a "serious" hunter, but I once knew this guy, we'll call him Jim. He came from Idaho, along with other folks from all over 24hourcampfire to hunt elk in Oregon.
He hunted as hard as anyone in camp but about the third day it snowed so darned hard we all had to adjourn to camp for a while as hunting was just out of the question. Like most guys in camp that year, when we weren't hunting we were talking about hunting. I think it was about 5 degrees out that day and we were huddled under my trailer awning talking hunting and generally trying not to get completely covered up in snow.( I think 2 feet fell that day and the wind blew hard enough to break the tops out of big pine trees)

So, this fella Jim is so engrossed in talking hunting and telling stories that he didn't even notice that the heater had set his brand new wool hunting pants on fire -while he was wearing them. Well, we got the fire put out and he went right back to telling stories and BS'ng just like nothing ever happened.

Sounds like a serious hunter to me........ wink

Bob
Could be, different folks see different things, but he sounds more like a serious BS'er to me. wink

Ya know, I truly don't mind at all that you and others bring this story up from what was it, 17-18 years ago? Just promise me that you won't sneak into a graveyard some night and inscribe it on my tombstone...

"Here lies Jim in Idaho,
He burned his pants and didn’t know."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RinB, just wanted to reiterate that in no way did I mean this as a comment on your thread or in any way that might give offense.

A few months ago someone posted something in one of the forums above this one about how no serious hunter could have less than this rifle and that rifle and such and I thought back to those dedicated hunters I’ve known, both financially successful and those who couldn’t afford much for whatever reason, and the comment struck me as being pretty arrogant to judge someone by their equipment. I just saw the phrase in your thread title and it reminded me of that post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a little talk with corprate offices of taco bell. They have wifi, but block this site (and apparnetly every other gun site)
I explained that there are more registered hunters (going by purchased tag numbers) in any three average eastern states, than there are fighting men in the entire US military....."Do you REALLY want to piss off a demographic THAT large?"
(Right now, corporate and managers are blaming eachother, and both swear they will get it fixed.)

Last edited by kellory; 01/27/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Spot on Sonora.

Funny thing was last fall, during hunting season, I had a guy stop while I was fixing a gate leading into our property and ask if he could hunt. I probably would have let him but he had a mohawk and those big-hole in the ear ear rings. He just looked too foreign in these parts for me to say yes. Come to find out maybe he was just more trendy than what I used to seeing?

The most serious hunter I know, doesn't reload and is about as interested in ballistic gack as hitting the day after Thanksgiving sales. He told me reloading takes to much time away from doing hunting stuff. When he isn't hunting he is working non-stop to fund the next self-guided hunt. The way he explained it, it made perfect sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for you Kellory... that is, doing something rather than bitching.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't have a problem with them doing it but they are doing more serious marketing than hunting and I see more self promotion and product promotion than I do sport promotion.

I'm friends with a couple of the guys and they are good dudes but I wouldn't look to them for actual hunting advice as they just aren't that proficient.... yet

Some of those guys are more serious about selfies and hashtags than they are about the actual hunt but I see your point

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't have a problem with them doing it but they are doing more serious marketing than hunting and I see more self promotion and product promotion than I do sport promotion.

I'm friends with a couple of the guys and they are good dudes but I wouldn't look to them for actual hunting advice as they just aren't that proficient.... yet

Some of those guys are more serious about selfies and hashtags than they are about the actual hunt but I see your point

That's pretty much the case with most leisure-time endeavors these days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I agree. Like I said they aren't doing much for me, but their promoting is helping the community as a whole.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Whether this ol' fart qualifies as a serious hunter, is a matter of conjecture..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

but there are a number of things about which I'm quite serious.........

[Linked Image]

pork chops, hams, loins, ribs

[Linked Image]

venison jerky

ya!

GWB

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

now that's serious!

ya!

GWB

Well played...I still have 2 to go as I hunt and still fish a little, but gave up drinking 30 years ago next month. Thanks for the laugh!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Your thoughts, our bow season starts the first weekend in October. Our rifle season ends the first Sunday in January. IIRC, either I was in transit to and from my lease or "afield" forty days during that period (approx 90 days). Would that be considered serious???

GWB
Nope, you've got to travel all over the globe or at least the US and only shoot big, trophy animals. Shyt, I've never left NY but hunted at least 3-4 days a week for whatever was in season all year round when I was younger. I piled up dead critters by the thousands but I never have been or ever will be a "serious" or even good or knowledgeable hunter. Just ask BobinNH.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

GWB
Nope, you've got to travel all over the globe or at least the US and only shoot big, trophy animals. Shyt, I've never left NY but hunted at least 3-4 days a week for whatever was in season all year round when I was younger. I piled up dead critters by the thousands but I never have been or ever will be a "serious" or even good or knowledgeable hunter. Just ask BobinNH.

Congratulations.

I always hunted New England annually but had the time and resources to travel to other places as well....including NY.I never saw anything worth shooting there but I had fun.

I can't help it if you didn't. I got to do both but in your warped little mind that's bad.....how peculiar crazy

I notice people like you who don't get the chance to hunt other places are frequently jealous of those who can.

You're my hero because you get to stay home, hunt less, and shoot bunches of little deer....congratulations? LOL!

If you think for two seconds that I spend ANY time worrying about what kind of hunter you are, you're delusional.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/28/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

GWB

Congratulations.

I always hunted New England annually but had the time and resources to travel to other places as well....including NY.I never saw anything worth shooting there but I had fun.

I can't help it if you didn't. I got to do both but in your warped little mind that's bad.....how peculiar crazy

I notice people like you who don't get the chance to hunt other places are frequently jealous of those who can.

You're my hero because you get to stay home, hunt less, and shoot bunches of little deer....congratulations? LOL!

If you didn't see anything worth shooting in NY it's only because your hunting skills aren't up to it Bob. Not my fault and I can't help you with that. Personally, I never really felt a need to hunt anywhere else and still don't. There are plenty of hunting opportunities right here. Went rabbit hunting after work yesterday with a couple of my co-workers. Killed 10 rabbits and one grouse between us and we all had a good time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something to be said for both I reckon. Haven't traveled much myself, but there's more within 4 hours of me than I'll likely live long enough to do.

Time and funds being the culprit, and likely the same for most.

7 days in big country or 30+ days local? Tough call.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For years, I was what I would call a serious hunter.. I hunted elk everyday until I filled or the season closed.. Mostly I filled. Antelope and deer same program, but they were easier to come by..
We used all the meat or gave some to folks who needed it or wanted it.. This went on for years until after i retired.. For about 5 or 6 years after retirement we hunted at least two other states for big game, and others for birds..

Gradually, I have lightened up on my big game hunting.. I only hunted Wy. this fall and AZ. a bit for birds.. I also don't hunt as hard as I used to.. If it happens fine, if not there is another day.. Had a couple elk tags that I didn't fill this year, but we have ample meat for the winter, so if I happens fine.. If not, next year.. I would say I enjoy hunting more now than ever.. It is relaxing, I go most days, and after big game and birds are over, I hunt coyotes several times a week..
But even those I do not get after with the need for success that I used to feel.. It is enjoyable getting out.. Hanging around the country, maybe shooting maybe not.. I love it..

I have a line on some elk that I will go check out maybe this evening.. If things are right, I would fill a tag, if not so be it.. It is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors.. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure from the outdoors as I do..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt like Elmer Fudd and cook like Gordon Ramsey, so I got that going for me, which is nice....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt like Elmer Fudd and cook like Gordon Ramsey, so I got that going for me, which is nice....

laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless ya!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot? I can do that in New England, too. And did it in New York.

I've killed a lot of grouse over the years......Maine, NH, Mass, and Vermont. Big deal.

I never said there was anything wrong with hunting New York, but to suggest you're some king of "serious" hunter " because that's the only place you hunt, and Im some kind of scrub because I hunt at home and also travel around and manage to kill a big deer once in awhile is illogical.

I was in Eastern NY a few weeks ago....didn't see you LOL. I asked around. No one ever heard of you....... crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I hunt 3 states a year and spend all 4 weeks of my vacation doing so.

We spend around $2400 in license fees and $1500 in gas to travel.....probably about $450 in hotel stays.

$950 for a North Missouri hunting rights only farm lease.

Add in all the gear Sam mentioned....X2....remember wife

No....I'm not a serious hunter by no means

I enjoy hunting but it is only a hobby

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot?

Guess I'm gettin' less serious by the trip.

Back in October it came a frog-choker. Wind was blowing 35 MPH + and the rain was going side-ways. I had stayed up till 1 AM listening to a Michael Connelley Audiobook, and when the alarm went off at 5 AM I got up, used a convenient coffee can, laid back down and slept in till 8 AM.

Last time I was up, it was dark-thirty and a small hoglet came into view. As it was evening I decided there was not enough meat to warrant skinning. I let him walk, came back, built a fire and enjoyed a stogie and a beverage. Didn't feel bad about my decision in the least! A few years back, that never would have happened. Heck, I've even quit tracking wounded boars at night through the cat-claw and cactus, on my hands and knees, pistol in one hand and a light in the other. Decided it might be prudent to quit that before my luck ran out.

[Linked Image]

The big ones can rip ya' a new orifice!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/28/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot? I can do that in New England, too. And did it in New York.

I've killed a lot of grouse over the years......Maine, NH, Mass, and Vermont. Big deal.

I never said there was anything wrong with hunting New York, but to suggest you're some king of "serious" hunter " because that's the only place you hunt, and Im some kind of scrub because I hunt at home and also travel around and manage to kill a big deer once in awhile is illogical.

I was in Eastern NY a few weeks ago....didn't see you LOL. I asked around. No one ever heard of you....... crazy
Well for starters I'm not in Eastern NY. As with the deer, it might help if you looked in the right places. Nobody around here ever heard of you either, including me. If you were the great white hunter you like to think you are, you would have been able to find a shooter buck in NY. Remember your incoherent, nonsensical rant about the overpopulated, retarded, inbred deer in NY ? Well I do and it appears they bested you now doesn't it ? I don't know exactly where in NY you hunted but from your description it sounded like central or Western NY farmland. I have friends who hunt the Cortland and finger lakes areas every season and they kill bucks in the 125-150 inch range pretty regularly. If you came here expecting to find better, you aren't terribly bright. I suggest you look up an article by Charles Alsheimer entitled "120 inch booners" for a more realistic view of what constitutes a trophy in much of NY's southern zone. As for me, I coud give a shyt less. I've never been a trophy hunter. Just a hunter who has killed a few big ones for the area over the years. I've killed alot of other ones that were just eaters and they're just fine with me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used to be what i would call a serious hunter. researched my ass off. bought specialized calls, scents, camo's, guns, bows, etc and spent a lot of off season time practicing and reading about techniques. i hunted almost every weekend from october to february. i would get up at 4am, hike an hour or more up into the hills before daylight and be the last guy out after dark. i enjoyed that for 25 or so years but am more of a leisurely hunter these days. i've even been known to sleep in until 8 lately and leave the woods at 3. i get the same level of enjoyment out of that style of hunting.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
i used to be what i would call a serious hunter. researched my ass off. bought specialized calls, scents, camo's, guns, bows, etc and spent a lot of off season time practicing and reading about techniques. i hunted almost every weekend from october to february. i would get up at 4am, hike an hour or more up into the hills before daylight and be the last guy out after dark. i enjoyed that for 25 or so years but am more of a leisurely hunter these days. i've even been known to sleep in until 8 lately and leave the woods at 3. i get the same level of enjoyment out of that style of hunting.

Very well said. And some get more enjoyment helping others, especially younger relatives and friends, get their animals. Kind of a natural progression.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A person who hunts for a livelihood, or must hunt to provide food, is a serious hunter. Everyone else, is fun and show, no matter how serious they think they are.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno about a serious hunter, I'm kinda the opposite.

Its more about fellowshipping. Spending the weekend at deer camp. Having a good card or dart game. Making plans the hunt the next morning, but never making it because a buddy you havent seen since last season shows up and ya'll one more beer it until the wee hours. Skinning your buddies kids deer while giving the kid high fives whether its a buck, does, spike or yearling. Firing up the grill, cooking way too much food. gathering up a posse to blood trail a huge buck, only to find its a 6pt. Sitting around the campfire and passing the bottle around. Talking about yesterday and 10 years ago. Me, I like shooting critters. Not much on trophy hunting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It has come to my attention over the last few years that evidently the only requisite to kill a 200" muley is to wear some 2 sizes too small skin tight camo and sport a nice "Flattie" billed cap!

#crushin200"ers

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.