Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I've seen snippits of the vid's on public TV, and you can see some short vids on Youtube, plus there are even a few on the NPS website. But, I also found an hour-length one Youtube, probably patched together, still the hour-length vids are for sale for 20+ bucks each.

So, I just read the first book, loved it, and just ordered the second one, still pretty cheap. The third one covers several years of his journals, but is selling north of 30 bucks, not sure I'll go for that one.

Regardless, this is quite a saga. A little bit surprised there was never a documentary produced.

Any one else a fan?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed the first book, and there was a VHS tape I had at one time. the book "More Readings...." I would not bother with. I knew a guy in Kodiak who knew Dick, all he would say is "there is a reason some people like to be alone..."

Interesting guy though, for sure. Cabin is still there I am told, owned by NPS now and tours available out of Port Alsworth

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guided in the area in the 80s. He was not unfriendly to passers-by. He did good work on his cabin.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read the first book and found it fascinating.

I think it does give bliss ninnies a false sense of what is possible "living off the land". Not to demean what he achieved, but IMHO Babe Alsworth flying him out supplies to supplement fish and game was critical to his lifestyle. Something most often glaringly missed by Chris McCandless types.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
but IMHO Babe Alsworth flying him out supplies to supplement fish and game was critical to his lifestyle

No question about that. He scavenged meat left by the 'trophy hunters' as he called them, and documents taking one ram. So far I see nothing of him taking any other game for sustenance. His philosophy was to leave the wild game alone.

IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
the book "More Readings...." I would not bother with.

Now ya tell me. It's already on order, think I'll like it though, my cup of tea.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
He hated wolves killing multiple caribou and leaving them.

I have the first book and watch everytime it comes on PBS' begathon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
He does take a few cheap shots, but is subtle about it. I'll be interested to see if he's more emphatic later on.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That was fact. Didn't see it as a cheap shot.

Woofs are known for that!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I was referring to his references as to how humans treat game management and hunting, he was more of a preservationist.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a documentary titled Alone in the Wilderness that is really good. You MAY have viewed it on youtube already. One Man's Wilderness was a good read too.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Alone in the Wilderness

Yeah that's the freebie. I would really like to see the other full length ones, maybe can scavenge them off ebay.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sse
I was referring to his references as to how humans treat game management and hunting, he was more of a preservationist.

Thats why I've never been able to finish one mans wilderness..( Ithink that was the name of it) I wanted to read it SO bad, finally got it, and made it through about 80% and just have not been able to open it since.... Probably never will, or at least it will be years...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The attitudes of hunters and game managers in the 60's was quite a bit different than it is today. Put his view in that context.

I found the book enjoyable as I could place it in historical context.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's another called Frozen North, but it isn't as enjoyable as Alone...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
First Wilderness by Sam Keith!

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Tell ya I definitely have renewed interest in learning to make sour dough bread.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kaboku68
First Wilderness by Sam Keith!

Just googled this one, think I need it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The attitudes of hunters and game managers in the 60's was quite a bit different than it is today. Put his view in that context.

+1

When I read Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost for the first time, I was appalled. But, you can't apply todays values/ethics to people and actions of bygone eras.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse
Tell ya I definitely have renewed interest in learning to make sour dough bread.

He got me to try making sourdough pancakes. They are pretty good!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Probably so. Just rubbed me wrong, as noted much more like a preservationist, rather than conservationist.

Not like he enjoyed hunting at all, just seemed like survival to him.

Maybe your note will force me back to the book... But no rush, I think we probably have 15 more AK books here that I"ve not had time to read yet....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
One thing to remember is that he had no refrigeration of any kind except for the small little hole in the permafrost he used in the summer. A entire animal was just too much meat for him to keep. Unless you know it's going to stay cold enough, everything needs to get canned which is a colossal pain in the ass. He was able to scavenge enough from what was left behind to supplement himself that he didn't do much hunting.

Rost, to be fair, there's still plenty of wanton waste that goes on here. That big set of horns is awfully sudductive to many. I've smelled plenty of boats loaded with spoiled meat that are proudly displaying their trophies. You know that meat isn't going to make it back to their house. I sure wouldn't eat it. Another common occurrence, is the individual that harvests a smaller animal, then two days later, decides to take that bigger one that just stepped out. Since he's already got the meat from the first, he chucks the smaller rack in the brush and takes the bigger set leaving the meat behind. I assume they are betting F&G isn't going to compare the size of the quarters with the size of the antlers. When you live "out" the entire area is sort of like you're house. You only really share it about one month a year. Because of this, you do get a little possessive of it, and when you see it disrespected it ticks you off a little. I'd imagine that's why he's a bit critical of the hunters that come through.

Others may disagree, but I see it as our responsibility as hunters to call others out when they are doing things they shouldn't. In the long run its only going to hurt us if government and public (read liberal) pressure forces further restrictions.

The book of journal entries is an interesting read. I've been through it several times. Their were many assumptions made by Sam Kieth that Dick wasn't happy with. It made for a better story (to some) but it wasn't accurate. We have a family friend that knew Dick quite well and said he was a bit miffed about some of the things Sam wrote. Especially assumptions as to what his thoughts were. That's one reason Mr. Keith only did the one book. Dick wouldnt let him put words in his mouth again.

Just some food for thought. I apologize for being long winded.

Last edited by ykrvak; 01/27/17.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I like the insight...but, 30 secs before reading this I ordered Sam Keith's book. Under five bucks, shipped, so no biggie.

In the first book that I just read Proenneke did notate that he finished the last portion of the ram he shot...9 months earlier.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Good post.
No need for apology.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
It's still a good story. Just keep in mind, like with anything else, the author is going to put their slant on it. I'm not going to claim I know what his thoughts were, but I know he was annoyed by the amount of "artistic license" that was employed.

Enjoy it for what it is. As I said before, the journals were pretty much left unaltered, so it's straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the added comments, it always helps to put it in perspective for sure.

I have not seen wanton waste very often, actually possibly never.

I don't get filling your tag, then shooting a bigger and wasting.

Its very true then, if all he saw were slobs that I"ve never seen, then I can get part of the attitude for sure. Guess I'll force myself to finish.
Carolyn did not come away the same as I did from the book but then women read differently than men do also.

Guess I'll find out in the coming years how much more of this that I witness up there.

I have seen one case where a bull was shot in the shoulders and the shoulder was left as bloodshot. Heck even my dog gets to eat too... we really try not to waste much. Hell I don't shoot shoulders just to avoid the meat loss, minimal as it would be anyway...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ykrvak
One thing to remember is that he had no refrigeration of any kind except for the small little hole in the permafrost he used in the summer. A entire animal was just too much meat for him to keep. Unless you know it's going to stay cold enough, everything needs to get canned which is a colossal pain in the ass. He was able to scavenge enough from what was left behind to supplement himself that he didn't do much hunting.

Rost, to be fair, there's still plenty of wanton waste that goes on here. That big set of horns is awfully sudductive to many. I've smelled plenty of boats loaded with spoiled meat that are proudly displaying their trophies. You know that meat isn't going to make it back to their house. I sure wouldn't eat it. Another common occurrence, is the individual that harvests a smaller animal, then two days later, decides to take that bigger one that just stepped out. Since he's already got the meat from the first, he chucks the smaller rack in the brush and takes the bigger set leaving the meat behind. I assume they are betting F&G isn't going to compare the size of the quarters with the size of the antlers. When you live "out" the entire area is sort of like you're house. You only really share it about one month a year. Because of this, you do get a little possessive of it, and when you see it disrespected it ticks you off a little. I'd imagine that's why he's a bit critical of the hunters that come through.

Others may disagree, but I see it as our responsibility as hunters to call others out when they are doing things they shouldn't. In the long run its only going to hurt us if government and public (read liberal) pressure forces further restrictions.

The book of journal entries is an interesting read. I've been through it several times. Their were many assumptions made by Sam Kieth that Dick wasn't happy with. It made for a better story (to some) but it wasn't accurate. We have a family friend that knew Dick quite well and said he was a bit miffed about some of the things Sam wrote. Especially assumptions as to what his thoughts were. That's one reason Mr. Keith only did the one book. Dick wouldnt let him put words in his mouth again.

Just some food for thought. I apologize for being long winded.

Would like to see you post more often. Good insight.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I think some of the others made a good point as well, that it was a different time and the resource wasn't looked at the same as it is now. I would imagine waste is much less common now than it was then.

I don't get shoulder shooters either. I've heard the arguments, but I'm still not convinced it's necessary as often as is claimed. I'm glad you're getting to make the move up here. We need more people of your mindset around.

Forgive me as I'm sure you've posted this elsewhere, what part of the state are you moving to?

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Thank you Old Toot, I try to contribute when I can, but I'm generally pretty recluse and don't join in. Typing on this iPad is a little like trying to pick up dimes with boxing gloves on which doesn't help either. 😀

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495

...I have not seen wanton waste very often, actually possibly never....

Happens all of the time here in Texas with feral pigs. The only consolation is that other animals make quick work of any carcass left behind, and they actually need the meal more than the people pulling the trigger and leaving the meat behind. The worst is hearing "hunters" talk about intentionally gut shooting pigs. That type of thinking is for sociopaths, not hunters. They make me sick.

Also, lots of "hunters" bring home deer meat and never eat it. They end up feeding the freezer burned meat to dogs or just pitching it.

Deer meat is by far my favorite. A good tenderized venison cutlet is far preferable to a beef steak.

Thanks to the OP for posting this topic. I was not familiar with the works, but just ordered a couple. Looking forward to reading them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the video, my wife was very impressed that he could carve a wooden spoon that looked so good!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Dick thought of the animals as friends.
He had this saying on his wall.

Is it proper that wilderness
and it's creatures
should suffer, because we came.

I don't know if he penned this or It was just something
he believed in that he read.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Spent 3 weeks floating and hunting the wild and scenic Chilikotratna River flowing out of Lower Twin Lakes. Learned of him from my pilot when we flew over his cabin. Every time I read his books or watch the documentary it takes me right back to that special place and time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kid0917
On the video, my wife was very impressed that he could carve a wooden spoon that looked so good!

That was very good.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by budman5
I think Dick thought of the animals as friends.
He had this saying on his wall.

Is it proper that wilderness
and it's creatures
should suffer, because we came.

I don't know if he penned this or It was just something
he believed in that he read.

But do they suffer or are they better off.... and yes we have animal friends here too... but we eat animals every day....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Happens all of the time here in Texas with feral pigs. The only consolation is that other animals make quick work of any carcass left behind, and they actually need the meal more than the people pulling the trigger and leaving the meat behind. The worst is hearing "hunters" talk about intentionally gut shooting pigs. That type of thinking is for sociopaths, not hunters. They make me sick.

Also, lots of "hunters" bring home deer meat and never eat it. They end up feeding the freezer burned meat to dogs or just pitching it.

Deer meat is by far my favorite. A good tenderized venison cutlet is far preferable to a beef steak.

Thanks to the OP for posting this topic. I was not familiar with the works, but just ordered a couple. Looking forward to reading them.

Luckily the folks we choose to hang with are not like that. Unless the pig is absolutely not edible. You don't know that until you shoot it, and we have been able to learn to gauge by smell... We have done our very best to make the stinky ones edible. Have had no luck.

Of course what do you do with varmints? Coons I"ve eaten, not bad at all. Have not had much else, but shoot wolves and waste? Shoot coyotes and waste?

In there somewhere, is a fuzzy line thats hard to see at times.

Heck I wouldn't eat a deer that was unfit either....

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
But do they suffer or are they better off....

I don't think Proenneke determined the animals to be friends, or anthropomorphic in any way. He internalized the beauty and balance of nature and did not like to see that altered or disturbed by man. And he probably didn't think hunting for any purpose had any merit in the scheme of things.

I don't know if he thought animals suffer, either as a part of nature or as a result of hunting. I, personally, do not believe the animal entity can conceptualize suffering. They're animals.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Luckily the folks we choose to hang with are not like that. Unless the pig is absolutely not edible. You don't know that until you shoot it, and we have been able to learn to gauge by smell... We have done our very best to make the stinky ones edible. Have had no luck.

Of course what do you do with varmints? Coons I"ve eaten, not bad at all. Have not had much else, but shoot wolves and waste? Shoot coyotes and waste?

In there somewhere, is a fuzzy line thats hard to see at times.

Heck I wouldn't eat a deer that was unfit either....

Flat out, cougar and lynx are two of the best meats out there. I have only shot two cougars and a fair number more lynx, but they will always be eaten. Beaver and muskrat are both very good in meaty stews.

Coons do not work nearly as well for me, but I have eaten it many times. Brown bears will not be tried again by me, but I love black bears.

But the point you have to stop even considering rationalization about eating critters you kill is when you get to stuff like sea otter... worst thing I have ever tried to eat!!! I would sooner eat raw possum guts!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No doubt I love me some meat also.
If you look at the way Dick treated his birds...he was definitely fond of them, as a dog owner is fond of his favorite canine.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Our dogs ahve always slept with us and do just about everything with us.

We feed the heck out of birds here at home.. Wife doesn't say antyhing about my seed/feed bill on deer, if I don't say anything about her bird seed bills. LOL. But she shoots starlings, grackles( usually over 200-300 a year) and some others as needed... its call conservation, not preservation.

But we still hunt.

I think the word preservationist is correct with him. And I just don't care for those folks. Just me though. YMMV.

On another note, I do believe there was a time when folks didn't care, shoot it for the wall and thats that..., that time is still now... its like thugs, you'll alwyas have a certain amount no matter how many die or get killed....

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
In my historical research, learned that while dogs for the white man were sometimes beloved pets, they were also main food staple for the western push, and especially so for the native Americans, from whom many expeditions acquired them for sustenance.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

The fact that Proenneke filmed himself with a heavy old film-type camera mounted on a tripod made the quality of the scenes even more amazing.

Now everyone is sporting a Go Pro for hero films but he filmed himself collecting berries, paddling his boat and the construction of his cabin!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The self filming was amazing.

I"m not all that old.. LOL, but I still recall wind up 8mm cameras and IIRC< was amazed when super 8 came along you didn't have to wind up..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dick was a rare bird for sure.
The hardest part for a life like that is being alone.
I met a couple on the upper Yukon that still lives on the land they homesteaded in the 60's. They must be in their 80's now.
When I travel the river in the fall you still see them putting their set net in for fish. They told me that most of the single homesteaders didn't make it due
to the loneliness.
Maybe one of the reasons Dick liked his Critters.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm pretty sure alone could be an issue for sure.

And I don't much care for people, but I could not be away from Carolyn very long. Just to attached and need at least our own contact.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Thank you Old Toot, I try to contribute when I can, but I'm generally pretty recluse and don't join in. Typing on this iPad is a little like trying to pick up dimes with boxing gloves on which doesn't help either. 😀

Man, I can relate to your typing. I'm a one fat fingered typist. I hit 2 keys at once all the time. I do try to proofread everything first.
I've just started the book and am at about June first. Good read so far. Having lived in Alaska 2 different times, mid 1950s and 1974-1980. I have nothing but fond memories.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by sse

He got me to try making sourdough pancakes. They are pretty good!

Good?

They can be the BOMB!

Now you have me thinking I need to make some soon. My waistline doesn't agree.

Geno

PS, I'll have to look into the books etc now, was not familiar with the name when I checked out this thread.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not been into his works extensively, but certainly a patient and talented individual.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I met Dick many times as a teenager shortly after he had his cabin built, late 60's and through the 70's. He was a piece of work. My dad had to confer with him about certain issues that eventually got worked out in Dicks favor. I for sure can tell you that indeed he had talent, but he was no friend of what he called 'consumptive' users of the land, namely hunters/outfitters. He devoted much of his time in getting 'his' wilderness designated as a National Park. The real reason he did all that filming was that he wanted to be THE person for the Dept of the Interior to 'bring the wilderness' to people like you and me. In short, he rallied to protect his wilderness, allowing only certain few to enter, namely him, and then he would bring the film to theatres for you and me to see our wilderness. He wanted no- one in it, even though he was squatting on public land and felt he now had more say in what would happen in the area. Talent, yes, for sure patience, but he tolerated few people that traditionally used the area for hunting. (There's a great salt lick near there that produced many sheep for us) I enjoy his films and have his books, and I think about how he succeeded in kicking the true conservationists out of 'his' wilderness. There were many camps in the Twin Lakes area, some used by outfitters, he hated that. That was his driving force, he couldn't stand someone making a meger living off 'his' wilderness.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
even though he was squatting on public land

This is something I've been wondering about, and whether someone had to sign off on him building and living there as he pleased. Guess not.

His attitude comes across clearly in the journals I've read so far and the films, but he is subtle about it. Quite a story.

Maybe it will be recounted, but still no mention of a visit by bears drawn in by his store of provisions. I imagined they could break right in, maybe that was just his good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
keep reading, to get to the bear encounter at the cabin.. smile

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
keep reading, to get to the bear encounter at the cabin.. smile

Great, now ya ruined it...LOL

I did see where he refers to the deal wth BLM/NPS to provide film and photographs in exchange for permission to reside there. I hope there will be more of that later.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Decent read, what do you suggest next.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well, Butch, this one is a bit dry as it is a lot right out of the journals, but it is a great historical insight to an area I spend some time. So, it's interesting to me at least and tells about a time gone by.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-no-1-guide-journals-1869-1939/dp/0972014403

ETA:

Some amazing ordeals that few if any would endure today.

Andrew was rowed from Kasilof to Kodiak because tey believed a doctor was there to tend to his mangled hand. There was not so they rowed back.

Another time as the 'warden' for the KP, he rowed down to Ninilchik (IIRC) but the surf was too rough to put the boat on the beach. He slept in the boat off shore until the next day.

Last edited by ironbender; 02/07/17.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Holy crap! I just looked at my link again and it's $97. My copy was ~30 IIRC.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Have you read Jim Reardon's books on Frank Glaser?

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well, Butch, this one is a bit dry as it is a lot right out of the journals, but it is a great historical insight to an area I spend some time. So, it's interesting to me at least and tells about a time gone by.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-no-1-guide-journals-1869-1939/dp/0972014403

ETA:

Some amazing ordeals that few if any would endure today.

Andrew was rowed from Kasilof to Kodiak because tey believed a doctor was there to tend to his mangled hand. There was not so they rowed back.

Another time as the 'warden' for the KP, he rowed down to Ninilchik (IIRC) but the surf was too rough to put the boat on the beach. He slept in the boat off shore until the next day.

Well, The book is on the way. I need to skip fast food for a while.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I hope it's of worth to you - I did warn you on the 'dry' part! It's a large format book too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey, I'm excited and anxious to receive it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I read a lot and think I may have read Reardon. I'll check my list. In waiting on the Andrew Berg book, I bought a book on Ted Lambert, not a relative,and it appears to be a fast read. I didn't know that he was a well known Alaska Artist and disappeared completely in 1960 at the age of 55yrs. It is amazing to me that a young man could walk from Cordova to Chitina by the way of McCarthy to be a laborer at a gold mine. Of course $5 a day plus room (tent) and board was good money in approximately 1925.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Have you read Jim Reardon's books on Frank Glaser?

[Linked Image]

I did read his book Wind on the Water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska's Wolf Man is a must read.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
+ 1 Have read the book many time and have loaned it out to friends. Great read.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

It will be on the way.
Thanks

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Here I am in the middle of reading More Readings From One Man's Wilderness and I saw a program on Animal Planet this morning, The Last Alaskan about a hardy few who have cabin rights on some Arctic region wth limited access.

Love the book, love the show.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you like The Last Alaskans, get the book on Heimo Korth who is one of the principals and my personal favorite.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/20/17.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
My favorite is the guy by himself who has his own plane.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I need to go into the basement and pull out the old sourdough and Alaskan cookbooks my mother brought back from AK.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sse
My favorite is the guy by himself who has his own plane.

That is Bob Harte. I like him also. I believe after his last crash he gave up flying.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Power is out so I'm playing Proenneke...get some beans and hot cakes going...LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North to Wolf Country by James R Brooks.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I will def get some of these books you guys have mentioned

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
If you like The Last Alaskans, get the book on Heimo Korth who is one of the principals and my personal favorite.

Much enjoyed Heimo's book.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 60n148w

I shot trap with Jim, didn't read his book till after he passed. Another missed opportunity.

FYI:

There are a few "Unpredictable Giants" on e-bay. Hard to find book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bear-Hunting-Book-Unpredictable-Giants-Hardback-Brand-NEW-Alaskan-Brown-Bear-/112332019030?hash=item1a27829556:g:ncwAAOSwB-1YxG0-

Unless you go to the source: Just found this.

http://www.alaskabearstories.com/Purchase_Online.html

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse
I need to go into the basement and pull out the old sourdough and Alaskan cookbooks my mother brought back from AK.

These should do...

[Linked Image]

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 60n148w

Could be the next order...

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

This one is north of 20 bucks anywhere I look...spose I could check the library.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you will be around $10 on Barnes and Noble, just hit the "used " tab

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
thanks

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sse

This one is north of 20 bucks anywhere I look...spose I could check the library.

It's worth it. I've read it several times and will read it many many more times.

Last of the great Brown Bear Men about Pinnell and Talifson is hard to find but worth the effort.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, P&T were quite a pair, in the day!

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
you will be around $10 on Barnes and Noble

Not what I found, but as mentioned it may be worth extra $$.

I thoroughly enjoyed More Readings From One Man's Wilderness, and now First Wilderness is on tap. I'm sure I will like it, but is a much shorter read.

I'll check out North to Wolf Country, looks like I may need it soon.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I really enjoy Lynn Schooler and his writing style. He wrote "Walking Home" "Blue Bear" and the "Last Shot". Great books.

Two in the far North by Margaret Murrie is really enjoyable. She was married to Olaus Murrie and accompanied him throughout his life's studies of the Alaska wilderness in the middle of the last century. She was one tough cookie.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go here,
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/north-to-wolf-country-james-w-brooks/1100003052?ean=9780972494441

but look about an inch below the price of $16.94, it has a place to click for "New and Used from $6.35", the cheapest with shipping should be your huckleberry

It is a great book, one of my "multiple re-reads" on the Alaska shelf

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
go here,
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/north-to-wolf-country-james-w-brooks/1100003052?ean=9780972494441

but look about an inch below the price of $16.94, it has a place to click for "New and Used from $6.35", the cheapest with shipping should be your huckleberry

It is a great book, one of my "multiple re-reads" on the Alaska shelf

You nailed it

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does anybody use Kindle?

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Does anybody use Kindle?

Not interested in using one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Does anybody use Kindle?

Dropped mine the second they came out with the queers on the beach TV commercial; made them take it back and a full refund on the stupid device and all books we ever purchased on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
Does anybody use Kindle?

Dropped mine the second they came out with the queers on the beach TV commercial; made them take it back and a full refund on the stupid device and all books we ever purchased on it.

That will teach those queers!

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, you better not let Matt drown up there hunting a brownie! Get the sea lion nest cleaned out of the ER and head for Uyak.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, you better not let Matt drown up there hunting a brownie! Get the sea lion nest cleaned out of the ER and head for Uyak.

But his tag is for Uganik???

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Does anybody use Kindle?

I have one and use it a bit. For histories and similar that have photos and especially maps, I prefer paper as it's easier to flip back and forth for reference.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spend enough time staring at a screen all day that if I'm going to read a book, I'll read a book.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I understand flipping back and forth, but I just have many many books and I'm out of storage room. I probably need to sell them on Amazon. Might buy a couple more rifles.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I'll read it, but the book by/about Sam Keith is not what I was looking for, kind of like an autobiography, maybe it will get better.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I'll check out North to Wolf Country, looks like I may need it soon.

This is an amazing story...wow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

While I agree that intentionally wounding an animal with the express purpose to cause pain and suffering is a detestable practice, the fact is that feral hogs in Texas have reached epidemic proportions - their population has exceeded 2.6 million in Texas alone. As I'm sure you're aware, they are environmental and agricultural pests and cause in excess of $59,000,000.00 in damages each year in Texas. Additionally, they carry disease such as swine brucellosis and pseudorabies, which can be easily transmitted to domestic pigs and they pose a threat to the pork industry. I have personally seen the damage they cause - rendering fields into cratered wastelands, digging up the roots of old growth oaks, wreaking havoc on crops and killing smaller animals. Simply put, they are the most destructive invasive species in the U.S. This is precisely the reason that Texas allows hunters to kill hogs year-round, without a license and without limits. Hogs can even be eradicated via helicopter in Texas. All of the hogs I have seen and/or killed have been nasty, malodorous, viscous, destructive and dangerous beasts and my efforts to reduce the population on a West Texas piece of property have been futile, as they multiply like rabbits. Feral Hogs in Texas are a huge problem and approximately 38 other states. About 2 months ago, I was driving to the ranch at night and a gigantic hog ran across the county road, right in front of my vehicle. It was the largest hog I've seen in a long time - easily in excess of 400 lbs. Luckily, I didn't run into it as the damage it would have done to my vehicle would have been extensive.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/02/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I figured most of us here, have seen the damage they do.

Still doesn't mean I"ll intentionally wound something.. I may wound it trying to kill it cleanly but I will never do it on purpose. Thats ridiculous.

Just about everyone thats rural in TX has seen their damage. No problem killing every one I see, just not gut shooting on purpose. Thats the realm of something blackheart here would do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rost495: Agreed.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I did read his book Wind on the Water.

This one is on the way, hope it's good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,501 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.